What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dedicated Draft Dominator users, New or Classic in 2016? (1 Viewer)

For those of you that are faithful/dedicated DD users, which will you be using/have you used in 2016

• New Draft Dominator (PC, Mac, Linux)

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • New Draft Dominator Mobile (iDevice, Android)

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Classic Draft Dominator (PC, Mac)

Votes: 60 72.3%

• Total voters
Too dependent on MFL Import for switching between computers during my slow draft. to use the new version. 

I also use the Classic version to evaluate options when working on my Subscriber Contest team and don't see anyway to conveniently save and compare different lineups with the new version.

I am using the new app on my macbook pro because classic isnt cutting it. I did a ton of mocks to get used to it.  It hated my team I drafted this past Saturday but I am digging it. 

I used the classic version a few years ago.  Liked being able to import my own projections and then blending them with the experts.  I find if I don't blend my projections with more consensus projections I end up focusing on a few players instead of taking what the draft gives me.  

I tried the new app version this year, but Im not sure what it does for me.  I cant put in my own projections to blend with the experts.  The mocks aren't represenative of what I will see in my draft as it does not adjust to the smaller roster sizes and it drafts 2  qbs to every team thus way overvaluing them. 

I have gone back to using the best app ever for fantasy football; Excel.  It does everything.  I can import what ever stats I want I can save many versions of anything.  I can do analysis with out opening a new app.  I can graph things, run statistical models, what ever.  I create my own draft board and values.  

I'll use the new on PC, but I had to set it up to not sync to my leagues. Was having way too many issues with the sync messing up the settings of the draft. 

Was reading the new app has the latest algorithms.  Is the adp list the same for classic and new school?  If I were to implement the new school adp over would the classic behave the same as the newer version

Sticking with DD Classic for this season but that is because I found the new version too late and it still seemed limited.

Next year I will start working with it earlier and hopefully some of the limitations have been removed by then.

I've done so well with my drafts over the years with DD - especially with my custom baselines and imported ADP that I won't waste my time on the APP until those are included.  I've been to the Final 5 years in a row, so hard to argue with the results.

I've done so well with my drafts over the years with DD - especially with my custom baselines and imported ADP that I won't waste my time on the APP until those are included.  I've been to the Final 5 years in a row, so hard to argue with the results.
How many of your drafted players were responsible for those finishes though?

The Classic app only uses Joe's projections though, right?   The new app takes into account Bob, Maurile and Jason as well.

I'll probably use the new one as I've been working with it for a few weeks now.  I like the old classic where you can see more on your screen, but the new one is the wave of the future so I might as well start using it.

Using the new app.  Embracing the  inevitable change.   I've been playing around with it for weeks and done 50+ mocks,  getting pretty comfortable with it.   

The Classic app only uses Joe's projections though, right?   The new app takes into account Bob, Maurile and Jason as well.

I'll probably use the new one as I've been working with it for a few weeks now.  I like the old classic where you can see more on your screen, but the new one is the wave of the future so I might as well start using it.
This is incorrect. Classic DD uses Dodds projections. There are 3 options within the Classic DD for setting baselines. Joe's secret formula, custom baseline, worst starter. If you use Classic Projections Dominator in combo with it you can weight the projections of 4 FBG staff members (Dodds, Trembley, Woods and Bob) and import into DD. This is what I do in combination with a custom baseline.

This is something I deal with at work constantly.

Part of my job is to create schedules for our work teams. I use a very old, unsupported application, designed for a version of Windows three or four generations old, to create PDF schedules that I email everyone. Why? Because it does exactly what we need it to do.

Everyone asks, "why we don't use iCal or Google Calendar?" or some other system to make calendars. The simple reason is that syncing in the cloud doesn't work, because I have to create over 500 calendars per quarter. There's no Google Calendar that supports me having 500 different schedules. I need an application that can save each in a different file, and all the modern cloud-based apps only work for 1 or 2 scenarios at a time. I might have 25 work teams looking at one "confirmed" current schedule and four or five backup plans, each, plus the need to go back to old versions, repeat what some other team is doing, fold two teams into a single schedule, etc. No "app" or cloud-based solution can handle the simplicity of just saving everything in a separate file, printing them out individually, and comparing them side-by-side.
Seems like a business opportunity to me...

Anyone else having issues with the Auction values this year in classic?  Each time I switch the league over to auction, it crushes down WRs and boosts QBs way too high.  Very different results than VBD app in excel.  Never noticed this before

Last edited by a moderator:
I used DD on IOS (iPad last year) and it worked well. The problem I have is that we're switching to a live ESPN draft and I fear that I'll have trouble keeping up with the speed of the picks. Hopefully nobody will be on auto-draft. I also need to have two devices (one for DD and one to draft online). I have a MacBook and an iPhone/iPad so I need to decide which one I'll use for DD and which to draft via ESPN with. Any suggestions?

I gave the new DD a long hard look over several weeks but will still be using the Classic for all my drafts. While I've entered the cranky old man stage of life (just turned 50) I'm not against change. I'm an IT professional and as such am very embracing of change IF it makes sense and it's done right. I consider myself a power user of the classic DD and the issue is that there are too many features that weren't included in the new DD. Specifically I'm thinking about the custom ADP and the manual look ahead feature. The loss of those features outweighs any new features in the new DD. Why these features weren't included baffles me and is frustrating.  In my line of work any new software rolled out has to included all viable existing functionally from the previous version.  I am hopeful that these will be included in the 2017 version and if so I'll gladly use it.

I gave the new DD a long hard look over several weeks but will still be using the Classic for all my drafts. While I've entered the cranky old man stage of life (just turned 50) I'm not against change. I'm an IT professional and as such am very embracing of change IF it makes sense and it's done right. I consider myself a power user of the classic DD and the issue is that there are too many features that weren't included in the new DD. Specifically I'm thinking about the custom ADP and the manual look ahead feature. The loss of those features outweighs any new features in the new DD. Why these features weren't included baffles me and is frustrating.  In my line of work any new software rolled out has to included all viable existing functionally from the previous version.  I am hopeful that these will be included in the 2017 version and if so I'll gladly use it.
I'm preferring Classic as well.  Any chance of a quick explanation of how to import custom ADP from MFL for example?  I've used DD for several years now, but could never figure this feature out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm preferring Classic as well.  Any chance of a quick explanation of how to import custom ADP from MFL for example?  I've used DD for several years now, but could never figure this feature out.
Sure. Several layers to this onion but I'll peel back a few.

Custom ADP
First thing you need to do is create a one column csv excel file called adp_user.csv. The one column is a listing of the positions as you expect them to come off the board. This file goes in the main DD directory. Take note of how the position names are abbreviated by looking at the adp.csv file which should already exist (i.e. kicker is PK). After you create the csv file open DD and click Import custom ADP. Bingo. The ADP values are no longer generic amalgamations of other leagues but representative of your league.

The real key is obviously creating a custom adp that accurately predicts your leagues trends. The easiest thing would be to simply take last year’s draft and plug those positions into the csv file. One year is too small a sample though so I use three year blend. If you really look at your league you'll see that other than a few blips the drafts go pretty much the same. Three years worth of data smoothes out those anomalies and paints a pretty good picture. To help do this I use the following excel tool.

Draftologist Draft Planalyzer
http://www.draftologist.com/resources/draft-planalyzer/

This allows you to enter your last three drafts on the setup page. After doing so you can view all sorts of cool info on the subsequent tabs but for the purpose of this post go to the ADP-o-matic tab and the last column will give you a list you can copy and paste into the adp_user.csv file (NOTE: you'll need to do a mass find/replace on the position names as the Planalyzer and DD csv file use different abbreviations (i.e. K in Planalyzer and PK in adp_user.csv). Save the csv and import into DD and you now have a custom ADP for your league based on a three year history.

DD Look ahead
The best value pick window has a feature called "Spots to look ahead." By default it looks at your custom ADP but what if there is an unexpected run at a position? This will create an anomaly and slightly skew the expected results for the next few rounds until the anomaly levels out. To account for this I use the custom look ahead feature and as the draft happens enter what I expect for the next few rounds of position picks. To help me do this I use a custom drop off calculator (excel spreadsheet) created by one of our own. Kudos to FBG's GoBears84 (hope you don't mind that I'm sharing this).

https://sites.google.com/site/gobears84fbg/

Download the file that matches your league size and draft position. In the ADP by round tab paste the values from your adp_user file. Now from the calculator tab you enter the number for each position taken by round and it will tell you how many of that position it expects to be taken for the next 'X' picks. Take those numbers and enter them into the DD look ahead feature and the VBD values will be more accurate as a result of predicting what positions will likely be coming off the board.

Hope this helps and apologies for the grammar. I typed this up quickly at lunch with just a quick spell check.

Buzzbait said:

Custom ADP
First thing you need to do is create a one column csv excel file called adp_user.csv. The one column is a listing of the positions as you expect them to come off the board. This file goes in the main DD directory. Take note of how the position names are abbreviated by looking at the adp.csv file which should already exist (i.e. kicker is PK). After you create the csv file open DD and click Import custom ADP. Bingo. The ADP values are no longer generic amalgamations of other leagues but representative of your league.

The real key is obviously creating a custom adp that accurately predicts your leagues trends. The easiest thing would be to simply take last year’s draft and plug those positions into the csv file. One year is too small a sample though so I use three year blend. If you really look at your league you'll see that other than a few blips the drafts go pretty much the same. Three years worth of data smoothes out those anomalies and paints a pretty good picture. To help do this I use the following excel tool.

This allows you to enter your last three drafts on the setup page. After doing so you can view all sorts of cool info on the subsequent tabs but for the purpose of this post go to the ADP-o-matic tab and the last column will give you a list you can copy and paste into the adp_user.csv file (NOTE: you'll need to do a mass find/replace on the position names as the Planalyzer and DD csv file use different abbreviations (i.e. K in Planalyzer and PK in adp_user.csv). Save the csv and import into DD and you now have a custom ADP for your league based on a three year history.

DD Look ahead
The best value pick window has a feature called "Spots to look ahead." By default it looks at your custom ADP but what if there is an unexpected run at a position? This will create an anomaly and slightly skew the expected results for the next few rounds until the anomaly levels out. To account for this I use the custom look ahead feature and as the draft happens enter what I expect for the next few rounds of position picks. To help me do this I use a custom drop off calculator (excel spreadsheet) created by one of our own. Kudos to FBG's GoBears84 (hope you don't mind that I'm sharing this).

Download the file that matches your league size and draft position. In the ADP by round tab paste the values from your adp_user file. Now from the calculator tab you enter the number for each position taken by round and it will tell you how many of that position it expects to be taken for the next 'X' picks. Take those numbers and enter them into the DD look ahead feature and the VBD values will be more accurate as a result of predicting what positions will likely be coming off the board.

Hope this helps and apologies for the grammar. I typed this up quickly at lunch with just a quick spell check.
Much appreciated!  It looks like a bit of work to set it up properly, but potentially a game changing draft day advantage.  Thanks again!

Classic as it is a better platform in terms of integrating your own projections via the interface with the projections dominator.

The new "improved" app does not do the basic things I require so any other features are not attractive.

Too dependent on MFL Import for switching between computers during my slow draft. to use the new version. 

I also use the Classic version to evaluate options when working on my Subscriber Contest team and don't see anyway to conveniently save and compare different lineups with the new version.
This

Classic-I play only dynasty, so drafting is only part of what i use it for.  I set up a view of my team using Weekly Points Team, and compare against my opponents in the Team Data view and scroll through each team looking for trade opportuniteis.  I also use the projection dominator which uses 4 people's projections and weight them on my overall feelings for their accuracy.  I then import the into Classic Dominator so i do not just use Dodd's projections.

Other issue is each of my three dynasty leagues do approx one round of the rookie/free agent draft per month.  By the time the new version came out i was already into round 3 or 4 of our drafts.  Why change horses that late in the game?

maybe next year

I would use classic but the rankings are completely messed up this year when using my league settings.  The new DD doesn't do what i want it to do.  My go in naked this year.

Thanks to this thread I realize classic is available.  Will do that for convenience.

Dumb question about new one - do you need to be connected on line to use it or can it be used offline?

-QG

Buzzbait said:

Custom ADP

DD Look ahead

LOL.  I'm touched and thrilled that people are using it!  On my page you'll find the Draft_log template.  You can use that to import previous years drafts to easily put them into the correct format and then use that data in the Planalyzer.  

Otherwise, that's exactly how I do it too!

LOL.  I'm touched and thrilled that people are using it!  On my page you'll find the Draft_log template.  You can use that to import previous years drafts to easily put them into the correct format and then use that data in the Planalyzer.  

Otherwise, that's exactly how I do it too!
There's a bad link in the calculator page!

If you go to the link for 10-team calculator position 8, the link is for the 12-team calculator position 8.

You'll never guess what draft position I have in my 10-team draft coming up...

-QG

Ultimately went back to classic for comfort's sake.  I think the new one has promise - I'm assuming they will tweak and improve it going forward.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread