What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5th place finisher in 800m awards herself "white woman silver medal" (1 Viewer)

I can understand being pissed about competing against intersex athletes, but the second and third place finishers were women.

Some good stuff buried in the lead

The 25-year-old runner failed to earn a place on the podium, finishing behind South Africa’s Semenya, Burundi’s second-placed Francine Niyonsaba and Kenya’s bronze medallist Margaret Wambui.

Rio 2016: Caster Semenya's 800m victory reduces Team GB athlete Lynsey Sharp to tears

The race result has reignited debate in female athletics around hyperandrogenism, a condition which leads to the excessive production of testosterone.

Semenya is the best-known athlete to live with the condition but neither Niyonsaba or Wambui identify as hyperandrogenic.

Jozwik, nevertheless, has now echoed the sentiments of Great Britain’s Lynsey Sharpeand questioned the fairness of the contest including female athletes with high levels of testosterone.

“This season I had a lot of health complications and injuries, which is why I am very pleased with this result. I feel like the silver medallist,” Jozwik told Eurosport.

“The three athletes who were on the podium raise a lot of controversy. I must admit that for me it is a little strange that the authorities do nothing about this.

“These colleagues have a very high testosterone level, similar to a male’s, which is why they look how they look and run like they run.”  

The Walbrzych-born sprinter finished with a time of 1:57.37, behind Canada’s Melissa Bishop.

Rio 2016 Olympics - in pictures

“It hurts a bit. I saw Melissa Bishop who was very disappointed, she improved her personal best and was 4th. It's sad, and I think she should be the gold medalist."

I remember watching that race with no pre-knowledge of it and told my kids to 'check out that dude in the green outfit.'

I hereby award myself the "Lazy guy who jogged in place during the 100m men's race" gold medal.  Don't mean to brag but my official time was 3.5 seconds.

I remember watching that race with no pre-knowledge of it and told my kids to 'check out that dude in the green outfit.'
I watched the prelim where wambui won. I had no knowledge of this whole issue. Had never heard of semenya. My wife had turned it on and I asked what is this? I wasn't aware of olympic events where men and women ran together. I actually thought it was a male/female relay. When they announced her I googled her name and saw all the controversy regarding semenya and then many pictures of wambui.

Apparently they are all intersex, but only Semenya has been "outed".  I can understand why the other athletes are pissed.  That really sucks for them.

Watched this race and those "women" certainly didn't belong.
As suspicion rose over Semenya and her muscular shoulders and male facial features and deep voice and prominent Adam’s apple, the IAAF, track and field’s international governing body, subjected her to an invasive gender test. The results were conveniently leaked to the media, and soon the world knew that she has hyperandrogenism, a medical condition where the body produces excessive levels of androgens. She has internal testes and no ovaries or womb.

What all that means, theoretically, is she has larger amounts of muscle-building testosterone than typical females, or levels closer to what a typical male might produce. (And 53 high school boys in California this year ran 800s faster than Saturday’s winning time.)

The solution, the IAAF determined, was to give women with testosterone levels (10 nmol/L) over certain levels a choice. Either have surgery to remove the undescended testes that produce the extra testosterone, or take hormone-suppressing medication to achieve the same outcome.

Semenya’s times suddenly dropped, noticeably dropped, presumably because she agreed to take the drugs. Reverse doping, essentially.

Then last year a sprinter from India with hyperandrogenism challenged the IAAF rule at the international Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), a sort of athletic Supreme Court. CAS acknowledged the potential for tilting the playing field, but it also asked the IAAF to prove that the condition actually provides a competitive advantage – prove that, even if these women are producing substantially more testosterone, their bodies are efficiently absorbing it and converting it into muscle.

The IAAF paused, stuttered, um, uh. It couldn’t.

A gavel hit the desk, and CAS suspended the IAAF rule until July 2017, when it told the sport’s governing body to return with an argument backed by, you know, actual science. Reversed the reverse doping.

So what happens?

Semenya’s best 2015 time before the IAAF rule was lifted: 2:04.19. Her best since: 1:55.28.

Not sure why she felt the need to throw the 'white' part in there. 
If we're allowed to acknowledge the accomplishments of Simone Manuel in swimming in light of her skin color, then we should be able to acknowledge the accomplishments of white/yellow/brown athletes in track & field associated with their skin color.

In an ideal world, it should matter. But in this world, there should be a double standard applied.

Apparently they are all intersex, but only Semenya has been "outed".  I can understand why the other athletes are pissed.  That really sucks for them.
What is intersex?

i watched a documentary the other day where this one remote town has lots of kids born as a female, but who grow penises during puberty. Crazy how diverse the genome really is. 

If we're allowed to acknowledge the accomplishments of Simone Manuel in swimming in light of her skin color, then we should be able to acknowledge the accomplishments of white/yellow/brown athletes in track & field associated with their skin color.
The accomplishment of finishing 5th?

Even the story of a white woman winning gold in the 800m wouldn't be the same since the record is owned by a white woman.  Of course she was roided to the gills and looked like a man too, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's just get rid of gender-separated sports all-together.  No men's or women's 100m or men's or women's wrestling etc. 

That ought to shut them up.

In an ideal world, it should matter. But in this world, there should be a double standard applied.
Yeah but thats because black people can't swim :shrug:

What is intersex?

i watched a documentary the other day where this one remote town has lots of kids born as a female, but who grow penises during puberty. Crazy how diverse the genome really is. 
so you're flipping around netflix/amazon and this catches your eye?

The accomplishment of finishing 5th?

Even the story of a white woman winning gold in the 800m wouldn't be the same since the record is owned by a white woman.  Of course she was roided to the gills and looked like a man too, but still.
Plus Simone had to overcome more obstacles.  Do you know how difficult it is for a sista to get over the hang-up of getting her hair wet?

I watched the prelim where wambui won. I had no knowledge of this whole issue. Had never heard of semenya. My wife had turned it on and I asked what is this? I wasn't aware of olympic events where men and women ran together. I actually thought it was a male/female relay. When they announced her I googled her name and saw all the controversy regarding semenya and then many pictures of wambui.
I had the same reaction, didn't google, just assumed it was an SNL skit with garrett morris.

I say let them win it all...let men or whatever...compete in whatever they want.

Best...whatever...wins.

it is kind of odd they have taken over the 800m, but I didn't really hear about it for other races.  
The 800 is an interesting distance, it's the "middle distance" of running.  Shorter races are "sprints", longer races are "endurance", but the 800 is right in the middle.  As such, having more mass would be beneficial for the sprinting aspect - but it would hinder someone in longer distances as it's extra weight to carry around (you don't typically see larger people winning marathons). 

The top 3 finishers in this race in question are all African - and the 800m races have historically been won by Africans (also typically true in the men's race).  In shorter races, both male and female, you see more Americans, those from the Caribbean area, and Europeans.  In longer races (1500m, 5k, and up) you see people from all over the world, but typically much smaller in stature - for instance the man that won the Olympic 5k is 127 pounds, while the winner of this race, Caster Semenya, is 161 pounds.  So the extra mass would be a disadvantage there.

Users who are viewing this thread