What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Replacing igniter in gas oven (slamming oven door broke igniter) (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Footballguy
I'm not talking about slamming the oven door in anger with all your might. I mean losing grip on the oven door and letting it close uncontrolled. It shut hard, but not insanely hard. And it was a one-time thing ... definitely not something we're always doing. The oven was working perfectly five minutes before the hard door closure.

For a visual, it's a GE Built-In Gas Oven, this model. It's roughly 15 years old ... came with the house we bought in 2006. It had its igniter replaced in 2010.

So ... what can a forceful door closure do to an oven? Mess up the igniter? Mess up the electronic controls somehow? The high-level symptoms are that the oven cannot pre-heat ... but the broiler works fine. Cutting off the oven's power for a few minutes, then switching it back on, had no effect.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not a "handy man", but have to assume the door slamming could jar a wire lose or something along those lines. 

Oven worked before you slammed the door: check

Oven stopped working after said door was slammed: check

Yes, I believe slamming the door on a 15 year old GE appliance can cause it to malfunction. 

Bumping for the day crowd, and adding a question:

Anyone ever replace an igniter on a gas oven? Got a wall unit, so I shouldn't have to get down on the floor like I might with a stove/oven range combo.

Just sat through several YouTube videos. Looks like a not-too-bad repair IF it's just unscrew the unit and connect wires. As simple as it is conceptually ... I don't like to get into non-standard electrical connections, stripping wires, splicing wires, etc. I can get a GE replacement part that will be a exact fit ... will cost a bit more, but not too bad IMHO ($50 from Home Depot).

The tough part seems to be accessibility and lighting the work area. Even with not having to get on the floor, there's chance I will have to pull the oven out of the wall (although the guy that replaced the Bake igniter in 2011 on the same oven did not take the unit out of the wall). If the oven stays in the wall, I have to reach and squeeze to get to the area I have to get to ... might have to do a lot by "feel" and I don't have the handyman experience to do it by feel.

So, anyway ... anyone ever attempted this kind of repair?

Bumping for the day crowd, and adding a question:

Anyone ever replace an igniter on a gas oven? Got a wall unit, so I shouldn't have to get down on the floor like I might with a stove/oven range combo.

Just sat through several YouTube videos. Looks like a not-too-bad repair IF it's just unscrew the unit and connect wires. As simple as it is conceptually ... I don't like to get into non-standard electrical connections, stripping wires, splicing wires, etc. I can get a GE replacement part that will be a exact fit ... will cost a bit more, but not too bad IMHO ($50 from Home Depot).

The tough part seems to be accessibility and lighting the work area. Even with not having to get on the floor, there's chance I will have to pull the oven out of the wall (although the guy that replaced the Bake igniter in 2011 on the same oven did not take the unit out of the wall). If the oven stays in the wall, I have to reach and squeeze to get to the area I have to get to ... might have to do a lot by "feel" and I don't have the handyman experience to do it by feel.

So, anyway ... anyone ever attempted this kind of repair?
I did it on an old like 1980s model.  It was not built-in.  I don't remember it being all that hard.

So here's a question -  before you slammed your stove door shut (joking), would it ignite with the door open?  Or did it have a door switch and wouldn't ignite unless the door was closed?  I ask because the igniters are typically pretty simple devices.  It would seem far more likely to me that a wire would come loose, or perhaps a door pin switch would break.  If that was the case, replacing the igniter may not fix it. 

Just a thoughts.

I replaced the igniter on mine oven(it was a heating coil that stopped working). It's a Kenmore 10+ years old, very easy to do. Couple screws, couple wires bing bang boom. The replacement part was pretty cheap too. I watched a YouTube video, not the same model but process was pretty similar. 

So here's a question -  before you slammed your stove door shut (joking), would it ignite with the door open?  Or did it have a door switch and wouldn't ignite unless the door was closed?  I ask because the igniters are typically pretty simple devices.  It would seem far more likely to me that a wire would come loose, or perhaps a door pin switch would break.  If that was the case, replacing the igniter may not fix it. 

Just a thoughts.
Good points. Yes, it used to ignite with the door open. Also, the broiler can ignite right now, and will do so with the door open (as always with this oven).

Still could be a wire or something, true. I am going to try a visual inspection after work ... I can get a lot of the oven components out of the way to get a look. IF I can slip into the open oven far enough :D  

EDIT: Forgot to add -- while the igniter is a simple device, it is also very fragile. I had the same issue with this oven five years ago, except that I don't know what caused the igniter failure back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Igniters are basically ceramic filaments.  They are very fragile, it could have easily broken.  Before u start puttering around on the oven, turn off the gas or at least make sure u have a quick shutoff u can close with your hand and that u know where it is. 

When u go to change the igniter , turn off your breaker or unplug your oven.  They r pretty easy to change.  You may have to Jimmy rig the igniter housing.  You have to make sure the element is close enough to the gas bar.

When u first test it, do it wth the door open and your face to the side of the oven, not in front.  Your main concern is the gas running significantly with no ignition.

Again...be careful.  It is a very easy fix but gas is DANGEROUS!

Users who are viewing this thread