What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

EpiPen costs skyrocket; 500% increase (1 Viewer)

Yeah, been following this one. This is a really, really bad deal for a lot of people. Drug companies can seriously suck it. 

Yeah me too.  A son in the exact same boat.  Stuff like this makes the blood boil.  I can hope that at least this ####-hag CEO gets Shkreii -ied.  Its thankfully getting a lot of press.

Heather Bresch, the Mylan CEO under fire for skyrocketing EpiPen costs, believes Americans should redirect their anger toward a "broken" health care system.

Mylan (MYL) was forced to respond to the national outrage over a more than 400% increase in price for the lifesaving allergy treatment by pledging on Thursday to make it more affordable.

But Bresch argued that a lack of transparency in the complex health care system -- with bigger cuts for everyone from the pharmacy to the wholesaler -- "incentivizes higher prices" in the industry. She pointed out that copays and deductibles are on the rise, too.

"This system needs to be fixed. No one knows what anything costs," Bresch told CNBC on Thursday.

The Mylan CEO compared the health care industry to the real estate mortgage crisis of 2008.

"Our health care system is in a crisis...This bubble is going to burst," Bresch said.

"Hey, but look at everything else?" is her response? Um, the profiteering is the problem. Not coincidentally, the CEO salary has increased 600% in the same timeframe.

Heather Bresch, the Mylan CEO under fire for skyrocketing EpiPen costs, believes Americans should redirect their anger toward a "broken" health care system.

Mylan (MYL) was forced to respond to the national outrage over a more than 400% increase in price for the lifesaving allergy treatment by pledging on Thursday to make it more affordable.

But Bresch argued that a lack of transparency in the complex health care system -- with bigger cuts for everyone from the pharmacy to the wholesaler -- "incentivizes higher prices" in the industry. She pointed out that copays and deductibles are on the rise, too.

"This system needs to be fixed. No one knows what anything costs," Bresch told CNBC on Thursday.

The Mylan CEO compared the health care industry to the real estate mortgage crisis of 2008.

"Our health care system is in a crisis...This bubble is going to burst," Bresch said.

"Hey, but look at everything else?" is her response? Um, the profiteering is the problem. Not coincidentally, the CEO salary has increased 600% in the same timeframe.
Mylan responded by announcing efforts on Thursday to make EpiPen more affordable for some patients. Mylan said it will provide instant savings cards worth $300 to patients who have to pay the full price for the drug out of pocket. The move translates to about a 50% price cut for those without insurance or for patients with high deductible plans.
Proving that she, along with other Pharmacy companies are :porked: when it comes to getting money from Insurance companies.. Time to open the "Free Market" up to the world..

Guarantee you that if we allowed EpiPens from other countries to come to the US the price would dive immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proving that she, along with other Pharmacy companies are :porked: when it comes to getting money from Insurance companies.. Time to open the "Free Market" up to the world..

Guarantee you that if we allowed EpiPens from other countries to come to the US the price would dive immediately.
Good thing the OP supports exporting our terrible pharma policies as part of "free" trade deals

Exactly, why is it ok to charge more if an insurance company is paying for it?  Greed on everyone, I get it I would like to make more money also, but when is enough enough?

And when insurance premiums jump it's because of clowns like this - no one blames the Pharma companies. It's all on Obamacare these days. I'm thinking that insurance and pharma are in collusion to destroy pricing on drugs and premiums to topple Obamacare.

Total cost to produce is about $3
I heard it was more like $10.  Some other company invented a version but for some reason they got some quality complaints about it possibly not giving the correct dosage and they were recalled.  But after the recall and testing the company could not mind any problem with the device.

I find it interesting that these price increases do not take place in countries with a single payer system. E.g. Denmark where the price of an EpiPen 0,3mg is 22% of the price in the US (and the Danish price includes 25% VAT).

But obviously single payer is wasteful and communism incarnate so to be avoided at all costs

But mattyl tells me that insurance companies care about controlling costs and it's big, bad Obamacare that is to blame for everything.  :confused:

Wanna bring back stock & pillory & pelting with garbage in a public square every time i hear stories like this.

Until there's a government insurance plan that is allowed to negotiate prices this will continue. 

I find it interesting that these price increases do not take place in countries with a single payer system. E.g. Denmark where the price of an EpiPen 0,3mg is 22% of the price in the US (and the Danish price includes 25% VAT).

But obviously single payer is wasteful and communism incarnate so to be avoided at all costs
Yep.

But mattyl tells me that insurance companies care about controlling costs and it's big, bad Obamacare that is to blame for everything.  :confused:
If someone like this charges 50% more to Insurance companies, should they just eat the cost???

I get you HATE Insurance companies, but in this case when a Pharmacy Company charges 50% more to Insurance companies then the Average Joe on the street, then your "blame the Insurance company" falls on deaf ears. :mellow:

OKAY MR. FREE MARKET
This is why I'm not an ideologue. 

I GENERALLY believe freer markets are better than less freer markets. But not in every case. I've long questioned if it's actually better in the case of healthcare. I now suspect it isn't. 

Love the interview with the CEO too.  She said something like "the USA subsidizes the rest of the world and that's a good thing."  ORLY?

And when insurance premiums jump it's because of clowns like this - no one blames the Pharma companies. It's all on Obamacare these days. I'm thinking that insurance and pharma are in collusion to destroy pricing on drugs and premiums to topple Obamacare.
I think it's fair to say that the insurers and pharma as private companies are going to look out for their bottom line, and that the ACA naively took for granted that these companies would play along because their best interests were protected (i.e. they were allowed to operate status quo for the most part). Well, unsurprisingly these companies want it all and more, are trying to maximize profits by leveraging the system. So blame the ACA for poorly regulating the for-profit businesses that are profiteering from the system, but to defend the insurers and pharma is also naive.

This will continue to be an issue as long as we allow companies to set their own prices (profits) on items that are NOT luxury items. We learned our lesson long long ago with utilities, but for some reason a huge portion of our population can't stand the idea of instilling price controls on health care.

The free market operates efficiently for profits, not for universal delivery. As much as I hate this, we need more stories like this to come out as it increases awareness and provides an easy to see and understand example of exactly WHY we need UHC

I got one for free last year.  My friend gave it to me right before he died.  I couldn't tell exactly what he was saying but it seemed like he felt it was really important for me to have.

This is why I'm not an ideologue. 

I GENERALLY believe freer markets are better than less freer markets. But not in every case. I've long questioned if it's actually better in the case of healthcare. I now suspect it isn't. 
I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.  As another poster mentioned, US citizens are prohibited from importing this good from abroad, and the government creates monopolies for prescription drugs through patent law.  It seems to me that a freer market would be a viable solution to a problem like this, not the source of the problem.

This will continue to be an issue as long as we allow companies to set their own prices (profits) on items that are NOT luxury items. We learned our lesson long long ago with utilities, but for some reason a huge portion of our population can't stand the idea of instilling price controls on health care.

The free market operates efficiently for profits, not for universal delivery. As much as I hate this, we need more stories like this to come out as it increases awareness and provides an easy to see and understand example of exactly WHY we need UHC
Does that lessen the incentive to take risks with r&d if your profits are capped?  Not that pharma companies are dis covering much these days.  

Sometimes, there are a lot of underlying reasons for high costs in healthcare but what I love about this story is that, nope, nothing else going on here.....just greed.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.  As another poster mentioned, US citizens are prohibited from importing this good from abroad, and the government creates monopolies for prescription drugs through patent law.  It seems to me that a freer market would be a viable solution to a problem like this, not the source of the problem.
Patent laws are an essential element of a free market. If it costs me $10 million of research to create a product which then costs me ten cents to produce, why should competitors also be able to produce it for ten cents and undercut me? So we have to have patents. 

The problem is that this system, which makes sense in most cases, doesn't work well when it comes to healthcare. 

Patent laws are an essential element of a free market. If it costs me $10 million of research to create a product which then costs me ten cents to produce, why should competitors also be able to produce it for ten cents and undercut me? So we have to have patents. 

The problem is that this system, which makes sense in most cases, doesn't work well when it comes to healthcare. 
What you've just described is the economic rationale for why it might make sense for the government to create a monopoly, at least temporarily.  That doesn't really make it a "free market" idea, more like a necessary evil.

What you've just described is the economic rationale for why it might make sense for the government to create a monopoly, at least temporarily.  That doesn't really make it a "free market" idea, more like a necessary evil.
A monopoly of what, insurance and/or pharma?

Users who are viewing this thread