What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raspberry Pi 3 - $35 computer (1 Viewer)

snogger

Footballguy
OK, so I searched the best I could here ( crappy search engine :angry: ) and didn't find a thread in regards to the Raspberry Pi so starting one up...
If this is a Honda please link to the thread and I'll dig into that one.

My first computer was the Commodore 64 and I still remember staying up late at night typing out the code from the magazine ( compute I think)..  No idea how this has escaped me to this point but CNet Magazine had an article about the pi 3 and well, those memories came back and I'm about to go "All In" ..

So wondering what you all have for "starting" points?? Web sites, PDF files, etc..

First thing my daughter wants, after I talked to her about this, was RetroPie so we can play old games on the TV... :)

Links:

snogger said:
Free downloads for 100's of Old Games.. Arcade, Nintendo, intellivision, Atari, etc... :thumbup:

loveroms.com

FreeRoms
Installing RetroPie: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation

Transferring ROM's: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms

Video on how to install ROMS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVQYURWVEQ&feature=youtu.be&t=7m54s

Projects: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Projects/

Raspberry site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/

RetroPie site: https://retropie.org.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the third one, and threw in an extra micro card I had.  Using it to run Kodi, and love it.
Kodi I'm guessing is the Media center?

Not sure if it is something we would use it for as we have the Roku 3, a chromecast and the Xbox.

Any links you have for it? :popcorn:

Not sure if it is something we would use it for as we have the Roku 3, a chromecast and the Xbox.

Check out the "we cut the cable" thread.  Tonydead has done a great job in there.

Check out the "we cut the cable" thread.  Tonydead has done a great job in there.
Saw that, as well as the Kodi thread..
But again, having a Roku 3, Chromecast and an Xbox, I think we will pass on a Media streamer for now and go right to the Retro Arcade edition.

Thought for sure with the number of :nerd: here others would be already interested and using these..

OK, so I searched the best I could here ( crappy search engine :angry: ) and didn't find a thread in regards to the Raspberry Pi so starting one up...
If this is a Honda please link to the thread and I'll dig into that one.

My first computer was the Commodore 64 and I still remember staying up late at night typing out the code from the magazine ( compute I think)..  No idea how this has escaped me to this point but CNet Magazine had an article about the pi 3 and well, those memories came back and I'm about to go "All In" ..

So wondering what you all have for "starting" points?? Web sites, PDF files, etc..

First thing my daughter wants, after I talked to her about this, was RetroPie so we can play old games on the TV... :)

Started reviewing bundles on amazon and the reviews are not kind for the Controllers, but no idea here...

Should I go with a $75 Bundle with RetroPie, 
a $75 Complete Starter bundle 
or a $50 "very basic" Bundle and add RetroPie on my own?
I bought the 2nd bundle. Placed Retropie on it with NES, SNES, and Genesis games. The kids love it, and are having a blast playing the old school games.

I bought the 2nd bundle. Placed Retropie on it with NES, SNES, and Genesis games. The kids love it, and are having a blast playing the old school games.
:thumbup:
What did you end up using for controllers??

I've seen some use Xbox controllers which if I went without the Controller bundle I might try.

:thumbup:
What did you end up using for controllers??

I've seen some use Xbox controllers which if I went without the Controller bundle I might try.
Retro SNES Controllers

I went with these for the time being. May look into using Xbox controllers as well.
:)

Since we have an Xbox, and we'd be playing this when we weren't using the Xbox, I thought we'd try those first..
Looking more and more like I'll go your route on the $75 "Starter" Bundle and "wing it" for RetroPie and the Home Arcade.

:)

Since we have an Xbox, and we'd be playing this when we weren't using the Xbox, I thought we'd try those first..
Looking more and more like I'll go your route on the $75 "Starter" Bundle and "wing it" for RetroPie and the Home Arcade.
Good Luck :thumbup:  

For me personally, I wanted the "feel" of the retro controllers, thats why I went with those. The only downside is, it's not wireless, so be mindful how much slack you have on the wired ones.

I have two. Not sure which versions (I think it's v1 and v2)  I used the first one to build a portable camera for work that would run off a battery pack. (needed a way to deploy a covert camera without wires showing) I was promoted before I had a chance to deploy it and trying to teach someone how to program and retrieve the video wasn't an option. But it would record about 7 hours of video. Still have it sitting on the shelf next to me. When I started building the camera unit, I bought another pi. Just because.

Looking into this, is it possible to set up a Pi to do multiple things? 2600 emulator, SNES, Plex? or would you need to get multiple Pies?

Mr. Ected said:
Looking into this, is it possible to set up a Pi to do multiple things? 2600 emulator, SNES, Plex? or would you need to get multiple Pies?
Multiple things.. There is no HDD, so everything lives on SD cards.. so load one up with Retropie/games, another one as a Media streamer, etc.. :thumbup:

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Mr. Ected said:
Multiple things.. There is no HDD, so everything lives on SD cards.. so load one up with Retropie/games, another one as a Media streamer, etc.. :thumbup:
My idea was to have a dual boot with something like retropie and rasplex, so the machine could be both a retro gaming machine and a media server like you mention, but without having to swap SD cards. You know, younger teen kids tend to lose stuff!! Plus there is a benefit to making stuff idiot proof!

From initial research, I think it's possible.

We got an Arduino for our 12 year old, he made a remote control tank with it.  It's fun to screw around with these, but in the end I think you need to have a plan for it.  If you get it just to screw around, it's likely to sit in the corner.  If you're getting it to make an air print server or run Kodi, you have a direction to take it and a place to focus your efforts.

Youtube is great for these projects - tons of good reference videos on there.

looks cool

too lazy to try it though. ill stick with the modded wii

its pretty much the same thing

I have a scrolling LED sign that I would like to create a sports ticker with.   Looks like all I would need to do is rig up a serial port connection and then write a script that would poll an RSS feed and dump the output to the serial port.

Sounds easy enough but I am lazy...

memphis raines said:
KCitons said:
I did this over the weekend. Followed this video. It covers an older version of the Retropie (3.7 vs 4.0). I've been able to get NES and Atari 2600 games working. Still having trouble with PSX stuff. 

It's not too difficult if you have all the parts and follow the video.
This video pretty much covers it.
There is also a kit (bunches actually) on Amazon (This one has the case, motherboard, cables, SD card, and a couple of controllers included) that are mostly set up and the chip comes with RetroPie already installed. Piece of Cake.

Planning to get one soon.

That seems like a decent deal. I bought all my parts separately, or had them already. For me, the hardest part isn't getting retropie installed, it's getting roms to work. 

if anyone needs I have tons of roms for most the retro systems

nes snes genesis some 64 some neogeo

gotta see what other systems

I've fallen head over heels with the Pi concept in the last week.

I have three ideas for my house that I am seriously considering.

1) RetroPie Gaming Box for my boys in the man-cave.
I have two boys that are 12 and 13 and they are geeks and play lots of video games. This seems like an easy idea to start with, especially if I buy one of the kits like I listed above from Amazon.

2) Home Server
I have a ton of data. I'd like to be able to get this in a spot where I can share it with everyone in the house, especially as they get better devices. This is also one that I think shouldn't be too difficult. I should even be able to play around with the Pi from the Gaming Box as long as I am using a different chip for the OS. Once this is done, I would like to adjust the Gaming Box so that it has the ability to be both a Gaming Device and a Plex device.

3) Calendar Display
As the family gets older, we have more ##### happening all over the place. I'd like to be able to have a calendar on a wall that isn't paper. I have read several projects where they are using Google calendar on the web, but I wonder if I could use a web-based iCal, since we are 99% Mac in our house and that would avoid having to worry about syncing the ical and the Google.

Once I have done the calendar, I'd like to expand that device to do more house control things like lights and nest and stuff like that.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

I have two boys that are 12 and 13 and they are geeks and play lots of video games. This seems like an easy idea to start with, especially if I buy one of the kits like I listed above from Amazon.

2) Home Server
I have a ton of data. I'd like to be able to get this in a spot where I can share it with everyone in the house, especially as they get better devices. This is also one that I think shouldn't be too difficult. I should even be able to play around with the Pi from the Gaming Box as long as I am using a different chip for the OS. Once this is done, I would like to adjust the Gaming Box so that it has the ability to be both a Gaming Device and a Plex device.

3) Calendar Display
As the family gets older, we have more ##### happening all over the place. I'd like to be able to have a calendar on a wall that isn't paper. I have read several projects where they are using Google calendar on the web, but I wonder if I could use a web-based iCal, since we are 99% Mac in our house and that would avoid having to worry about syncing the ical and the Google.

Once I have done the calendar, I'd like to expand that device to do more house control things like lights and nest and stuff like that.

:goodposting: What you listed there are on that site I linked to earlier ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Projects/ )

Some great ideas on that site... Good thing Winter is about on the doorstop :)

Made the decision to order the "Gaming Kit" to start with, and will build from there.

2) Home Server

3) Calendar Display

:goodposting: What you listed there are on that site I linked to earlier ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Projects/ )

Some great ideas on that site... Good thing Winter is about on the doorstop :)

Made the decision to order the "Gaming Kit" to start with, and will build from there.
They boys also want to get one that just 'does' something rather than displaying something. That's a bit more work, it seems; I think playing around with the more simple projects will help some.

3) Calendar Display
Our family is on all iPhones, plus a desktop PC.  We all use a family Google calendar, and it rocks - very easy to set up on iPhones, not sure about Macs.  3 kids, it's necessary...

Okay, I'm starting to get revved up about a magic mirror project - I see there's one driven by a Fire Stick, and I have a spare Fire Stick... hmm.

Saw that, as well as the Kodi thread..
But again, having a Roku 3, Chromecast and an Xbox, I think we will pass on a Media streamer for now and go right to the Retro Arcade edition.

Thought for sure with the number of :nerd: here others would be already interested and using these..

Kodi doesn't, well I guess it can get rid of your streaming boxes but, the best part is it gets rid of your directv boxes.  

Didn't think I really had a need for the raspberry then I saw that cocktail arcade table.  Magic mirror would be cool to.

There is no reason to use a CRT television or monitor to make a cocktail table, unless you're trying to get rid of one.  I'm going to pick up a 17 or 19 inch LCD or LED at a second hand store and build one with a removable bottom section so you can use it as a table or remove the bottom and sit on the floor to play.  

I made this custome arcade for my nephew earlier this year. That used RP, but I have two full-size arcades at my house, one using the 60-in-1 jamma board, and another using an old PC running Hyper Spin. Raspberry Pi is the easiest to use. I didn't have any problems running RetroArch and getting many systems and ROMS to play well.

That was the first cabinet I made from scratch out of MDF. My two uprights were refinished cabinets (one Ms Pacman, the other a Golden Tee... which, btw, is a great cabinet to use if you're doing a MAME. It's wide enough to accommodate a huge control panel and an awesome screen). I'm doing another bar-top now and it's going to look much better. I'll be wrapping this one entirely in graphics.

I made this custome arcade for my nephew earlier this year. That used RP, but I have two full-size arcades at my house, one using the 60-in-1 jamma board, and another using an old PC running Hyper Spin. Raspberry Pi is the easiest to use. I didn't have any problems running RetroArch and getting many systems and ROMS to play well.

That was the first cabinet I made from scratch out of MDF. My two uprights were refinished cabinets (one Ms Pacman, the other a Golden Tee... which, btw, is a great cabinet to use if you're doing a MAME. It's wide enough to accommodate a huge control panel and an awesome screen). I'm doing another bar-top now and it's going to look much better. I'll be wrapping this one entirely in graphics.
Beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread