What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vehicle Assistance needed (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
So I got a call from my wife a couple minutes ago, and she was having trouble with our van. For background it is a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring with ~170k miles on it; it is old, heavily used (driven at least 3 days a week for an hour commute each way on stop and go local non-exit highway. (Rt 7 in NoVA for those that are DC!) Many of the miles are long trips on highway. We keep the car in great shape, always taking it to a dealer for service (near to wife's office with shuttle so it's easy) and not worrying about potential higher cost, since we own the vehicle.

The issue, she left our house this morning with no problems, drove about 30 minutes to take a kid to hockey camp, stopped at a Starbucks in between (turned off the car with no issues restarting) and when she returned to the van from dropping our son at the rink, she could not get the van started. She had power enough to have radio playing and such, but not enough to start the car (no clicking). She walked into a Goodyear dealer in the same strip mall as the rink and played innocent lady for assistance with the van. They got it started with some tool (Battery I guess) and said the issue was with the battery. Luckily she had good help from the GoodYear guy, she said he was funny asking if she had bought a coffee for the van at Starbucks, and maybe that was the problem!

My question is that if the battery was dead, how was she able to get the car started on the first two parts of the trip with no issues, and wouldn't driving for a half an hour charge it in some way?

Anyway, I figured since I know nothing technical about cars, I should put this up here for assistance. Is it the battery, the starter, or something else? Am I going to be new van hunting this weekend?

I would have thought it was the alternator as well.  I had a 2006 Town and Country that acted this way once.  Eventually even the radio stopped working.  I replaced the battery with not much luck.  Turned out I need to replace the alternator as well.  Once that was replaced, it kicked over and ran fine. :shrug:

Battery is in process of going, but not yet gone.  Being a woman she tried to start it with the AC running, the radio on, and the electric defroster all going and the headlights on.  Had she turned off everything she likely could have started it, but not as she had it.  when the battery gets old it is not really taking a charge that well even after being driven 30 minutes.  Also, the summer heat coupled with a hot engine seems to stress batteries.  Not quite as much as cold, but it does put stress on them.

My wife and my SIL both made emergency calls to me during the last month.  their cars would not start.  I had them turn off everything and try again, and what do you know, it worked.  I replaced their batteries that day and no problems since, other than, of course, I am married and have a SIL.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so if it is the alternator, how much is that to replace? I assume the battery too.

I will be trying the van in a couple minutes, I will try it without the accessories on.

Thanks for the input!!

Onstar, how may I help you?

Probably the battery. If you don't know much about cars just take it to one of the auto parts stores (Advance/Auto Zone/etc) that checks/replaces batteries for free.

OK, so if it is the alternator, how much is that to replace? I assume the battery too.

I will be trying the van in a couple minutes, I will try it without the accessories on.

Thanks for the input!!
Without knowing your area $500

guessing battery. No AAA ? They could give you an answer and sell batteries if you need that

Thanks for the input!!
Battery should run between $80 and $100 (plus labor if you're not DIY)

Alternator = $150 - $200 (plus labor) and you should replace the belt too while you're in there.

Pro Tip: if you buy an alternator w a "lifetime warranty" you will use that warranty sooner than you think.

GL

I think the alternator would be a bit more than Quint stated. I think you're looking at more like $300 and an additional $200 to put in. Again, I think he went a little low on the battery and would expect that to be about $150. 

FWIW, Im not a mechanic. 

Onstar, how may I help you?

Probably the battery. If you don't know much about cars just take it to one of the auto parts stores (Advance/Auto Zone/etc) that checks/replaces batteries for free.
Further, if the battery is 3+ years old that would be the obvious place to look. An easy check for battery/alternator is the battery should measure about 12+VDC without the car running and 14VDC running. Less than 12 would point toward a battery. Less than 14 with the car running would indicate a charging issue. Auto parts stores have the equipment to check.

And yes, batteries are typically $90-$120.

Thanks for the input!!
Without knowing your area $500

guessing battery. No AAA ? They could give you an answer and sell batteries if you need that
I have AAA, and we figured the GoodYear was easy since it was closer and quicker. Now that they are home, I will call AAA and have them come out to look at the battery.

This is why I pay for AAA!!!

Did she slam the oven door?
No, I do the cooking. ;)

I think the alternator would be a bit more than Quint stated. I think you're looking at more like $300 and an additional $200 to put in. Again, I think he went a little low on the battery and would expect that to be about $150. 

FWIW, Im not a mechanic. 
True: OEM will be higher as will labor at the dealership.

Aftermarket prices will be lower, expect to see reman. parts in the $180 range depending on the region.

(16 years as a Partsman.)

My van's battery did this last weekend. I never noticed any issue whatsoever and all of a sudden it was just dead.

I just put in a new battery and am good to go. The old one was the factory original 6 years old.

Agree most likely battery and/or alternator, but I'll throw out another scenario for you to check...

So a girl I dated in college drove an older VW Jetta.  Basically, if she drove it for more then 15 minutes or so, stopped briefly, and tried to start it up again, it wouldn't start.  After 20-30 minutes, it started right up.  The issue for her was that the starter would overheat.  It was too close to some of the exhaust components.  Didn't cause an issue when it was new, but as it got older, it started to impact the starter motor.  It just would not start when it was hot.  Once it cooled off, it started fine. 

Just something to look at...if she has no issues starting the car cold, but has issues re-starting after running a quick errand, this could be it, especially if her electrical system checks out fine.

If you don't know much about cars just take it to one of the auto parts stores (Advance/Auto Zone/etc) that checks/replaces batteries for free.
This.  They'll check your battery for free to see if it's healthy.  If that comes back clean, you can assume it's an alternator problem and need to go to a mechanic.  

Thanks for the help guys!

I am going to have AAA come out in a bit to look at and maybe replace the battery; hopefully that will either solve it, or put a band-aid on it enough to get me thru today (need to pick the kid up at camp and the van is our only vehicle!) and get us to a dealer to repair tomorrow.

The issue for her was that the starter would overheat.  It was too close to some of the exhaust components.  Didn't cause an issue when it was new, but as it got older, it started to impact the starter motor.  It just would not start when it was hot.  Once it cooled off, it started fine.
Euphemism?

Mr. Ected said:

I am going to have AAA come out in a bit to look at and maybe replace the battery; hopefully that will either solve it, or put a band-aid on it enough to get me thru today (need to pick the kid up at camp and the van is our only vehicle!) and get us to a dealer to repair tomorrow.
AAA will replace the battery on the spot if you ask them.   

If you try to replace the battery yourself, don't fully disconnect it with no power going to the car at all.  A, uh "friend" discovered this and had to take the car to an actual mechanic to get some computer timing crap set correctly.

Now, while this "friend" is known to be quite the handsome and funny guy, working on cars is not his strongsuit.  

Mr. Ected said:

1 call dealer and arrange for loaner car and also a shuttle to said dealer*

2. have AAA tow car to dealer 

3. drive loaner car until van is fixed

* only problem is, they may not have loaner available today

1 call dealer and arrange for loaner car and also a shuttle to said dealer*

2. have AAA tow car to dealer 

3. drive loaner car until van is fixed

* only problem is, they may not have loaner available today
A lot of dealerships don't give loaners for 11 year old cars.  Shuttle service yes but no loaners unless it's extensive or in warranty.

At least thats how the operate around here anymore

A lot of dealerships don't give loaners for 11 year old cars.  Shuttle service yes but no loaners unless it's extensive or in warranty.

At least thats how the operate around here anymore
Interesting. I always get a free loaner for my 1999 Prelude....maybe it varies by company or location

Mr. Ected said:

Before paying for anything. You might want to verify the connections to the battery are snug. More of a common problem than you'd think and you can fix it yourself for free.

I'm pretty sure buying a battery from AAA will cost more than just about anywhere else.

Same thing happened to my 2008 Odyssey last month.  Started the van in the morning.  Dropped off daughter at daycare and the van wouldn't start.  Took it to Autozone and they tested the alternator and it passed, the battery failed.  The battery was 4 years old so I knew it was going to need to be replaced after we had some struggles with it in this past winter.  Haven't had any problems since.

Before paying for anything. You might want to verify the connections to the battery are snug. More of a common problem than you'd think and you can fix it yourself for free.

I'm pretty sure buying a battery from AAA will cost more than just about anywhere else.
could also be a loose wire...my mom's 2010 Cobalt kept having this issue and it was found to have a loose wire 

could also be a loose wire...my mom's 2010 Cobalt kept having this issue and it was found to have a loose wire 
This is all true.     I just meant if you know it's the battery.  I knew my battery was the issue.

Same thing happened to my 2008 Odyssey last month.  Started the van in the morning.  Dropped off daughter at daycare and the van wouldn't start.  Took it to Autozone and they tested the alternator and it passed, the battery failed.  The battery was 4 years old so I knew it was going to need to be replaced after we had some struggles with it in this past winter.  Haven't had any problems since.
I am happy to hear this!! I have my fingers crossed.

I don't worry too much about paying a little extra for the battery. The extra service will be worth it, and the fact the our only vehicle is the dead one, and riding my bike to a autozone and carrying the battery back might be too much!!! ;)

On this episode of car talk
I know little to nothing about cars, so I figured this was a good place to get some ideas. I will now have some good questions to ask the AAA guy when he gets here.

This is why I love the FFA! I am actually surprised with the positive to sarcastic responses ratio.

I had a visit from a AAA guy to test the battery. He said, almost immediately that it was the starter not the battery. He said he knew this because the lights stayed on while honking the horn and trying to start, or something like that. He also tried with a tool of his and to no avail.

Now I am awaiting a AAA towtruck to take the van to a dealer for work this weekend. Luckily the dealer is open tonite until 11 and from 7 to 7 tomorrow, so the issue should be solved early this weekend!!

I also had the joy of a $50 round trip Uber to retrieve my son from Hockey camp! I had to get a larger vehicle so that I was assured of room for his large hockey bag and stick! FUN!

I had a visit from a AAA guy to test the battery. He said, almost immediately that it was the starter not the battery. He said he knew this because the lights stayed on while honking the horn and trying to start, or something like that. He also tried with a tool of his and to no avail.

Now I am awaiting a AAA towtruck to take the van to a dealer for work this weekend. Luckily the dealer is open tonite until 11 and from 7 to 7 tomorrow, so the issue should be solved early this weekend!!

I also had the joy of a $50 round trip Uber to retrieve my son from Hockey camp! I had to get a larger vehicle so that I was assured of room for his large hockey bag and stick! FUN!
:lmao:

People off warranty actually take their cars to the dealer?  Aren't dealers known to be at least 25% more expensive than regular garages? 

When the tow truck guy was just here, he was able to get it started, only every couple of tries, determining for him that it is a starter, and the teeth on the gears have worn down over time and are only engaging periodically.

My issue with the dealer is I need this fixed ASAP. I also have another more vehicle specific problem with the van (powered doors aren't working every time you try them) so there may be a sensor issue there, so I think I need a Honda guy working on it. The dealer service is open tonite and tomorrow, so I am hoping that I can get it done this weekend!

I know I am paying more. Since these are my only extra expenses with the vehicle, I am ok with that to a degree. I am pulling now more for speed than price. Like using FedEx verses USPS.

If the starter had worn/missing teeth you would likely hear it. My daughter has my old Acura and it had what appeared to be a battery problem at first, would start intermittently (first time after tightening cables), and it ended up being the starter. It was shorted internally.

If the starter had worn/missing teeth you would likely hear it. My daughter has my old Acura and it had what appeared to be a battery problem at first, would start intermittently (first time after tightening cables), and it ended up being the starter. It was shorted internally.
He turned it several times (10+) to get it started the first time. After that he might have to do it every other or every third time to get it to go.

:lmao:
In theory this one was to get a bunch of stuff working at once and then see if adding more would cause the power to go down. The battery was installed new in 11/2013, so it should still be in decent shape. It has a 100 month warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread