Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

College Admissions Questions

If your son is interested in grad school right away, then a smaller school doesn't play as well for grad admission.

I'm sure you've looked into which schools have good co-op programs, but that is great experience for students.

10 minutes ago, johnnycakes said:

Did you daughter ever get an offer off the waitlist with Harvard, Chet?  

She did some research and concluded that even if she cleared the waitlist, she wouldn't attend.  As a result, she didn't contact the AO to express her interest.  It's therefore overwhelmingly unlikely she will get an offer.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, bigbottom said:

Thanks for the feedback.  This is the big pull for Northeastern (despite not having big time sports). My son’s stated goal is to GET A JOB after graduation. The co-ops are huge in terms of real life experience. I hear that Georgia Tech is good in that regard as well. It’s also one of the reasons why he’s wary of schools in small out of the way college towns. Appears to be less opportunity for internships and co-ops. His mom and I would love for him to go to Notre Dame, but it’s lower on his list because he wants to be near a big city with the opportunities it provides. 

Another vote of confidence for Northeastern. When I was with The Firm, we hired interns from Northeastern all the time. The best ones got job offers. 

And BU is no slouch of a school. A buddy I grew up with went to BU undergrad in some sort of engineering. I think it was electrical. But he got a job with Bell Labs who paid for his masters degree at MIT. Dude is now retired and he’s several years short of 60. 

As for me, I went to BU’s Questrom School if Business,  though it was just called the School of Management back then.  Anyhow, BU is a great school  

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

@bigbottom, I'm an engineer (BSME at Berkeley and MSME at Georgia Tech). In grad school I met students from all sorts of undergrad engineering schools. Plus, I've hired engineers in both California and in Maryland, so I know the regional schools as well.

If your son's goal is to get a job right out of school, I think that Cal Poly SLO is a great option. Georgia Tech makes good engineers, but I would not recommend it for undergrads. For grad school, sure but as an undergrad, the on campus culture is too southern good ol boy, tradition bound for my taste.

Clemson has a rapidly improving engineering school (focus on automotive), as does USC (focus on biotech).  Penn State is another one that might work for him. 

But if he is willing to go to a smaller school, there are excellent undergrad engineering schools like Bucknell, RIT, etc.

That is awesome insight! He’s visiting Georgia Tech in early June and he is decidedly not “good ol boy” (which is why A&M is lower on his wish list) so I’ll be curious to see his reaction. What are your thoughts on Northeastern?  If the others you mention, he’s already sold on USC, and has his Clemson visit in June. Going to have to do more research on SLO. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I'll keep you in the loop at Clemson. My son found a roomate (via all those facebook sites) that's his major at the Honors College so they got their room assigned at the Honors dorm so it feels a bit more real now. His roomate tried to get the rooms that had a view over the stadium (it's right behind the Honors College). He graduates June 10th and then we have a two day parent/kid orientation on campus and move in weekend is August 16-18. I think he's going to love it, but it'll be a big change. He's really independent already, pretty much did all his test prep for SAT/ACT/AP himself and I just reimbursed him.

He’s going into engineering?  Yes, please do keep the thread updated. I’ll be extremely interested to see what he thinks about his first year experience. More and more, Clemson feels like a good match. College Sports, non-snowy climate, good engineering program, small school within a big school with the honors college.

2 hours ago, The_Man said:

Would probably be a safety for your son but maybe take a peek at Miami of Ohio. Good engineering, unbelievable campus, and kids I know who go there LOVE it. Kinda remote and not too many big time sports though there’s a lot of school spirit 

Will definitely do some research on it. There are seemingly 100s of great options to consider. It’s really hard just trying to narrow things down without becoming completely arbitrary in the criteria to apply. 

2 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

If your son is interested in grad school right away, then a smaller school doesn't play as well for grad admission.

I'm sure you've looked into which schools have good co-op programs, but that is great experience for students.

Yes, co-op opportunities are definitely one of the factors. As for grad school, he hasn’t mentioned it. He has mentioned the possibility of going to law school at some point down the road and doing IP Law. But I think he’s just spitballing. 

1 hour ago, johnnycakes said:

Another vote of confidence for Northeastern. When I was with The Firm, we hired interns from Northeastern all the time. The best ones got job offers. 

And BU is no slouch of a school. A buddy I grew up with went to BU undergrad in some sort of engineering. I think it was electrical. But he got a job with Bell Labs who paid for his masters degree at MIT. Dude is now retired and he’s several years short of 60. 

As for me, I went to BU’s Questrom School if Business,  though it was just called the School of Management back then.  Anyhow, BU is a great school  

Thanks for the additional info. If he ends up not worrying about the college sports (football) thing or the snowy climate, I’m thinking Northeastern would be one of his top choices. He really liked his visit there. 

6 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Would getting her own place and maybe you or her mom visiting during the week a couple times a month be a possibility?

She comes home every weekend.  She has not spent a single Saturday on campus in two years.

I pick her up after her last class on Fridays, and my wife brings her back on Sunday afternoon.

We don't visit during the week, but my wife facetimes with her at least twice a day.  She has no other human contact outside of just going to class and going right back to her room so that facetime contact is important.

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

She comes home every weekend.  She has not spent a single Saturday on campus in two years.

I pick her up after her last class on Fridays, and my wife brings her back on Sunday afternoon.

We don't visit during the week, but my wife facetimes with her at least twice a day.  She has no other human contact outside of just going to class and going right back to her room so that facetime contact is important.

Has she talked about any plans post-graduation?  

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Is it logistically possible for one of you to visit during the week a couple times a month?  Maybe even stay over on her couch?

Edited by bigbottom

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

He’s going into engineering?  Yes, please do keep the thread updated. I’ll be extremely interested to see what he thinks about his first year experience. More and more, Clemson feels like a good match. College Sports, non-snowy climate, good engineering program, small school within a big school with the honors college.

No. Biochemistry or something around that. He likes the sciences more than math/cs.

4 hours ago, chet said:

Has she talked about any plans post-graduation?  

we are day to day with her.  We don't have the luxury of any long term thinking.

I am pretty sure she will never be able to hold an office type job.  She has mentioned being a free lance editor, which would allow her to do her work from home but that is a hard low paid field.  Although I don't care much about the pay.

We have planned since she was in high school that she will likely be with us for life.

Edited by NewlyRetired

3 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Is it logistically possible for one of you to visit during the week a couple times a month?  Maybe even stay over on her couch?

her room is the size of a closet (singles are tiny).  So probably not possible.   Two more years to slug through.   She has the same room next year so the transition won't be as bad as normal after the summer (my daughter has a strong aversion to any change)

14 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Thank you for the feedback. Cal Poly should be on our radar. It was actually my number 1 choice when I was applying to architecture school and I got rejected. Ended up attending Cal Poly Pomona and then dropped out of architecture after only a year.  How did your daughter enjoy her first year there?  What is campus life like?  Cal Poly Pomona was more of a commuter school with not so great campus life, but I imagine that SLO is different. 

My kid loves it, but is probably in over her head academically. She was a recruited athlete, so she had a lower bar for admission (your son's metrics sound like a safe bet.) The academic expectations are very high and everything moves along at a very fast pace, in part due to the quarter system. 

It's a decent sized school- 22K undergrad and growing. Lots of brand new dorms, a brand new dining complex about to open, great fitness center, etc. D1 sports across the board, but the campus doesn't go too crazy over them. The yearly rodeo gets way more attention than the football team, for instance. Significant greek life. Students all seem to share a love of hiking and surfing which makes sense given the geography. Concerts are big events. My kid is into EDM and there have been a number of shows in SLO, Avila, Paso Robles. She and a carload of friends are at EDC in Vegas right now. Might be an east coast/west coast thing, but she has been amazed at how friendly and easygoing everyone is in SLO. Downtown SLO is a big attraction and easily accessible from campus- has to be one of the best college towns in the country. There is also a surprisingly good airport in town and regular train service to LA. The alumni network seems particularly strong and I think a Poly degree carries good weight, even on the east coast, where we are from. 

Depending on your son's sensitivities, he may find Poly to be too white and conservative. They are working on ways to get more minorities in their stem programs. The agriculture students are pretty hardcore conservative, mostly coming from wealthy farming families or Orange County. And the stupid frats can't seem to go a month without some sort of racist/hazing/hate crime. However, I'm a fairly typical Massachusetts liberal, so my perception could just be out of whack. And, to be honest, the demographics of the school don't look to be an issue at all for the students there.

17 hours ago, chet said:

My daughter's friend appealed her rejection from USC and they accepted her!  

Another friend was waitlisted at Brown and got an offer yesterday.

Since USC is my son’s first choice, do you happen to know what her scores/GPA were, and what was the basis of her appeal?