What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (3 Viewers)

For those of you who did visits during summer before senior year, did you find them to be less valuable than visits when school is in? We’re you still able to get a sense of the campus vibe even without many students around? 

For those of you who did visits during summer before senior year, did you find them to be less valuable than visits when school is in? We’re you still able to get a sense of the campus vibe even without many students around? 
Formal tours when school is in are optimal. We did a couple visits over the summer where we just walked the campus (no formal tour or sessions), just to get a feel of the campus. Definitely better than not visiting at all, and helped with the decision to apply, but a follow-up trip for decision-making purposes is now necessary. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Daughter did not get into UNC-CH.  She did not want to go, and in the end, it would have caused a lot of family tension if she did get in, but even though we were warned, I am still surprised she did not get in:  33.5 ACT, 4.15 GPA, 11 AP classes, 2 time Captain of lacrosse team, ton of theater stuff and even gave a TedX talk and was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire (teen edition), so she had a pretty diverse resume.  Not meaning to list this in a braggadocio way, but you would think she could get into the state school with grades like that.  We cap by county here in NC, and living in Raleigh means more competition, but I feel the pendulum has swung so far, the state schools are now driving kids back to private colleges.  Again, at this point, it is probably best she did not get in; I am just fascinated by the business decisions/directions of the state universities (at least here).

Sweet Love said:
Daughter did not get into UNC-CH.  She did not want to go, and in the end, it would have caused a lot of family tension if she did get in, but even though we were warned, I am still surprised she did not get in:  33.5 ACT, 4.15 GPA, 11 AP classes, 2 time Captain of lacrosse team, ton of theater stuff and even gave a TedX talk and was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire (teen edition), so she had a pretty diverse resume.  Not meaning to list this in a braggadocio way, but you would think she could get into the state school with grades like that.  We cap by county here in NC, and living in Raleigh means more competition, but I feel the pendulum has swung so far, the state schools are now driving kids back to private colleges.  Again, at this point, it is probably best she did not get in; I am just fascinated by the business decisions/directions of the state universities (at least here).
UNC is all over the place. Only school my son didn’t get in (waitlisted but he didn’t want to follow up) that we thought he would. He had a bunch of friends who did, one was a girl with an SAT score 300 points less. They both had good other stuff, just pointing that out because it seemed more arbitrary or maybe the opposite very much picking and choosing what they wanted more so than the full resume speaking for itself. According to his scores he was in the top 25% so we were pretty surprised. Anyway, he’s loving Clemson (in the honors college) and got the president’s list for his first semester (have to get a 4.0). Unfortunately for me, it’s out of state and even though he got a nice scholarship they don’t give out nearly as much as some schools because their applications have skyrocketed. Still way cheaper than private schools.

Sweet Love said:
Flagship state schools are getting astonishingly competitive these days. UNC is at the top of that list, along with Virginia. Michigan as well. My son ended up getting into Engineering at Texas, but it was about a 50/50 shot we think. There are kids that aren’t getting into their flagship state institutions while gaining admission to elite privates. The value proposition is really starting to tip the tables. 

Sweet Love said:
Is it possible that she made it obvious to them that she didn’t want to go there?  My impression is that would almost certainly hurt her chances. I suspect that’s what causes a lot of this type of really odd rejections. 

Flagship state schools are getting astonishingly competitive these days. UNC is at the top of that list, along with Virginia. Michigan as well. My son ended up getting into Engineering at Texas, but it was about a 50/50 shot we think. There are kids that aren’t getting into their flagship state institutions while gaining admission to elite privates. The value proposition is really starting to tip the tables. 
University of Washington as well. Much easier to get into the private schools in WA, if you want to fork over 6x the money.

Is it possible that she made it obvious to them that she didn’t want to go there?  My impression is that would almost certainly hurt her chances. I suspect that’s what causes a lot of this type of really odd rejections. 
Knowing a lot about the wackiness of UNC's admissions lately, I wouldn't suspect that at all. UNC was my son's top choice. One thing to remember is that there aren't interviews for these big universities. It's almost hard to make it obvious that she didn't want to go there. It's a little easier with the EA, but even still there's no real contact point to express desire.

Knowing a lot about the wackiness of UNC's admissions lately, I wouldn't suspect that at all. UNC was my son's top choice. One thing to remember is that there aren't interviews for these big universities. It's almost hard to make it obvious that she didn't want to go there. It's a little easier with the EA, but even still there's no real contact point to express desire.
It's possible, but she took an official visit and applied EA.  She did not apply ED, but I would venture to guess EA shows more commitment than general admission.  Even social media is pretty tame, and there aren't posts of her wanting to go to a specific school.

I will say, she has friends that really wanted to go, and it is crickets.  I think some may have gotten in, but they are all walking on egg shells as not to seem as though they are rubbing it in.

Incredibly so.  If the public schools could (or decided to) add 10,000 seats to each flag ship school, a bunch of private schools would be out of business.  I always wonder what the relationship is (in general) between public and privates, but publics could put the nail in the coffin, if they wanted to.

Sweet Love said:
I feel your pain. Our son didn't get into UNC either. We pretty much expected it. Our HS has had valedictorians not accepted there. It's probably been over a decade since they took anyone from our town. Our son had a "nice" resume but nothing truly distinctive. Not sure what kids need to do to get in, but not having an unusual attribute is almost a death knell. 

UNC is damn near impossible out of state. Great school at a huge discount, relative to others in the same tier. I was also surprised when my daughter got flat-out rejected but in hindsight I shouldn't have been.

I went to Wesleyan in the early-to-mid 90s.  Feel free to ping me if you all have any questions.  Obviously I was there a while back, but I still follow everything pretty closely.  
Nice. I went to Trinity at about the same time. Luckily, my kids are smarter than I am.

Senior who is not a great student, and does not test well (took the ACT twice, did not score well) got into his "safe" school, so that is good news.  Was a worrisome few weeks wondering if he'd get in anywhere based on his test scores and lateness of applying to schools of choice.  It's quite a relief to know he won't have to go the "take a year off and find yourself" route and do it all over again.

Senior who is not a great student, and does not test well (took the ACT twice, did not score well) got into his "safe" school, so that is good news.  Was a worrisome few weeks wondering if he'd get in anywhere based on his test scores and lateness of applying to schools of choice.  It's quite a relief to know he won't have to go the "take a year off and find yourself" route and do it all over again.
I remember what a relief that initial acceptance was. Regardless of what happens with the rest of them, our kids are going to college!

It's possible, but she took an official visit and applied EA.  She did not apply ED, but I would venture to guess EA shows more commitment than general admission.  Even social media is pretty tame, and there aren't posts of her wanting to go to a specific school.

I will say, she has friends that really wanted to go, and it is crickets.  I think some may have gotten in, but they are all walking on egg shells as not to seem as though they are rubbing it in.
There is no ED at UNC. I think most state schools only have EA, not ED.

I know my daughter wont get into UNC-CH. How competitive are UNC-Charlotte and/or UNC-Wilmington for out-of-state students? Any idea if they offer merit scholarships?

I know my daughter wont get into UNC-CH. How competitive are UNC-Charlotte and/or UNC-Wilmington for out-of-state students? Any idea if they offer merit scholarships?
Not sure. My son has a lot of friends that go to UNCC. It’s definitely a little more of a commuter school than UNCW but I think all but 1 of his friends likes it there. His close friend loves UNCW. I think they all offer some sort of merit scholarships but I have no idea on those.

I have to tip my hat to my kid. I've bumped into a half dozen people in the last week while I was out and about. They all commended him for volunteering for various basketball programs in town (which I was not fully aware of). Boys and girls programs. Elementary and middle school aged teams. Clinics, games, tournaments, and at the YMCA. Rec teams, travel teams, and school teams. It's true volunteering . . . he's not logging it or adding it to his community service hours for his college applications.

UNC is damn near impossible out of state. Great school at a huge discount, relative to others in the same tier. I was also surprised when my daughter got flat-out rejected but in hindsight I shouldn't have been.
No kidding - I probably should of clarified that we live in NC.

I am on the eastern side of the state, so more familiar with UNC-W.  I can say as someone in HR, the few people I know from the workplace that attended there are very locked in.  It has a good general business admin program, and of course, can't hurt going to school by the beach.  Also, and excellent film studies school.  I will say there are very few professional jobs in Wilmington (considering the amount of kids graduating each year), so if she falls in love with the area, she is likely going to have to move for work.  However the Raleigh-durham area is ripe for employment, and is only about 2:15 away from the beach.

Funny, I started at Trinity and transferred part way through my sophomore year...I would have been class of 1996.
I graduated in 92 so would have just missed you. Was on Dean's List and pondering transfer as a sophomore myself because it seemed easier than my high school, but instead joined a fraternity after which it became a continual struggle to stay off academic probation 

I double checked and 2 of the last 4 school valedictorians from our high school applied to UNC-CH and got denied. One of them ended up attending Harvard instead. Pretty sad that UNC-CH is approaching Ivy League status in terms of competitiveness these days. Sure, it's a top school. But is it THAT good and super uber elite?

I am on the eastern side of the state, so more familiar with UNC-W.  I can say as someone in HR, the few people I know from the workplace that attended there are very locked in.  It has a good general business admin program, and of course, can't hurt going to school by the beach.  Also, and excellent film studies school.  I will say there are very few professional jobs in Wilmington (considering the amount of kids graduating each year), so if she falls in love with the area, she is likely going to have to move for work.  However the Raleigh-durham area is ripe for employment, and is only about 2:15 away from the beach.

Not sure. My son has a lot of friends that go to UNCC. It’s definitely a little more of a commuter school than UNCW but I think all but 1 of his friends likes it there. His close friend loves UNCW. I think they all offer some sort of merit scholarships but I have no idea on those.
Good stuff.  My daughter is interested in marine biology and likes the state of NC a lot (from PA).  Been meaning to look into what UNCW might have in that realm.

I double checked and 2 of the last 4 school valedictorians from our high school applied to UNC-CH and got denied. One of them ended up attending Harvard instead. Pretty sad that UNC-CH is approaching Ivy League status in terms of competitiveness these days. Sure, it's a top school. But is it THAT good and super uber elite?

Good stuff.  My daughter is interested in marine biology and likes the state of NC a lot (from PA).  Been meaning to look into what UNCW might have in that realm.
That is great - and you can throw my prior advice out the door - great program, and I bet she could find some good opportunities up and down the coast.

That. Is. Nuts.  But if that level of demand does not tell you that school prices are way too high, I am not sure what does.

You're out of state, right? Guessing those valedictorians were not full-pay. More than just about any other elite public university, the percentage of UNC's budget that comes from the state has been slashed. So they are using full-pay out-of-state kids to fill the gap. The percent of freshmen that can be from out-of-state is capped at 18%. So it's already very competitive and it gets more competitive once UNC starts looking at who wants financial aid.

You're out of state, right? Guessing those valedictorians were not full-pay. More than just about any other elite public university, the percentage of UNC's budget that comes from the state has been slashed. So they are using full-pay out-of-state kids to fill the gap. The percent of freshmen that can be from out-of-state is capped at 18%. So it's already very competitive and it gets more competitive once UNC starts looking at who wants financial aid.
Yes, out of state. In theory, wouldn’t they accept you first and offer you FA second? They could always offer you very little aid and you would elect not to go there. By flat out saying no, they rule out getting close to a full price out of state student. 

No, that's not how state schools work.  Acceptance is linked directly with FA needs.
In the case of our state university (UNH), they have offered us a ton of merit based stuff to the point that our son might get all of his tuition paid for. However, we don't really qualify for much need based assistance. Basically, the full cost of the in state tuition is lower than the amount we would have to pay for annual family contribution for private schools that offer that as a FA package. So for our state school, his acceptance and FA offer was merit-based. Or am I interpreting that wrong?

In the case of our state university (UNH), they have offered us a ton of merit based stuff to the point that our son might get all of his tuition paid for. However, we don't really qualify for much need based assistance. Basically, the full cost of the in state tuition is lower than the amount we would have to pay for annual family contribution for private schools that offer that as a FA package. So for our state school, his acceptance and FA offer was merit-based. Or am I interpreting that wrong?
Merit based scholarships are an entirely different category from need based financial aid.

Merit scholarships are used by schools to attract kids to the school and away from the schools 1 or 2 tiers higher that the same student won't draw merit scholarships from.

I have to tip my hat to my kid. I've bumped into a half dozen people in the last week while I was out and about. They all commended him for volunteering for various basketball programs in town (which I was not fully aware of). Boys and girls programs. Elementary and middle school aged teams. Clinics, games, tournaments, and at the YMCA. Rec teams, travel teams, and school teams. It's true volunteering . . . he's not logging it or adding it to his community service hours for his college applications.
First...great to hear about your kid. Awesome stuff that he has initiative and wherewithall to do this.

And I shouldn't be surprised any more, but kids are supposed to, or are required to log volunteer hours? I'm sure we all feel this way- but if you're required to volunteer for HS or college...is it really volunteering?

It’s recognized as one of the best values of any school in the country (if you have in state tuition).

Is he not in the running for a basketball scholarship somewhere?

Is he not in the running for a basketball scholarship somewhere?
The short answer is no and halfway through his season year I would guess that ship has sailed. In all the years he played AAU, the organizations showcased other players. HIs HS team wasn’t very good and plays a ball control offense. So scoring in the teens on a team the media doesn’t cover equaled no publicity. Had he been on a run and gun offense he would have stood out more. 

There isn’t a lot of recruiting in public schools here. Top kids go to prep schools. When no one started scouting him, he gave up on playing in college. He never put a highlight package on the college recruiting portal. 

This year he’s gotten much more recognition. There have been articles with him as a main focus in multiple newspapers and high school sports websites. He’s had his picture leading off articles probably a dozen times so far this year. He’s been on TV highlight packages multiple times. Not a single school has spoken to him. Some schools have come to look at other players but never him. 

His HS team is looking like a Final Four team this year, so I guess there is a slight chance someplace could still reach out. But how often does that happen more than halfway into a kid’s senior year?

The short answer is no and halfway through his season year I would guess that ship has sailed. In all the years he played AAU, the organizations showcased other players. HIs HS team wasn’t very good and plays a ball control offense. So scoring in the teens on a team the media doesn’t cover equaled no publicity. Had he been on a run and gun offense he would have stood out more. 

There isn’t a lot of recruiting in public schools here. Top kids go to prep schools. When no one started scouting him, he gave up on playing in college. He never put a highlight package on the college recruiting portal. 

This year he’s gotten much more recognition. There have been articles with him as a main focus in multiple newspapers and high school sports websites. He’s had his picture leading off articles probably a dozen times so far this year. He’s been on TV highlight packages multiple times. Not a single school has spoken to him. Some schools have come to look at other players but never him. 

His HS team is looking like a Final Four team this year, so I guess there is a slight chance someplace could still reach out. But how often does that happen more than halfway into a kid’s senior year?
I coached basketball at the D1 level (G.A. role). 

It is late in the game, but it is also less rare than you'd think to utilize this type of stuff you describe for a preferred walk-on spot (and lots of scholarships end up handed out at this stage as well, depending on school and the way things have gone). It's when we basically have our scholarships filled, or don't have a ton on you, but like what we see and you want to be there and work at it. So in a case like where he's already got merit $$ for non-athletics, he could totally play and should hit up the coach kind of as soon as he can. 

Do gym class grades count for anything when applying to colleges?  When I was in high school, we got pass/fail grades in gym, and I think they counted as 0 credits or 1 credit, so I always assumed that they never count for anything.

My daughter's high school count it as 3 credits (vs. 5 for most normal classes) and gives a letter grade.  She's looking at about a C+ this marking period due to the following ridiculous combination of things:

• Absence due to an academically related trip suggested by the teacher of another class (got a zero for participation)
  • Not swimming on a 25 degree day when she had a doctor's note and would have had to walk outside with hair wet to get back to the main school building (got a zero)
  • Slow time in a timed one mile run (got a C or something)
  • Low 'psychomotor' score in a basketball unit (worth noting that the kids' scores appear completely random - favoring neither the better athletes nor the harder workers)
Report cards don't show a GPA, so I can't tell whether it will be included in the GPA on her transcript, but based on the letter grade and number of credits, I'd have to assume 'yes'.

Do gym class grades count for anything when applying to colleges?  When I was in high school, we got pass/fail grades in gym, and I think they counted as 0 credits or 1 credit, so I always assumed that they never count for anything.

My daughter's high school count it as 3 credits (vs. 5 for most normal classes) and gives a letter grade.  She's looking at about a C+ this marking period due to the following ridiculous combination of things:

• Absence due to an academically related trip suggested by the teacher of another class (got a zero for participation)
  • Not swimming on a 25 degree day when she had a doctor's note and would have had to walk outside with hair wet to get back to the main school building (got a zero)
  • Low 'psychomotor' score in a basketball unit (worth noting that the kids' scores appear completely random - favoring neither the better athletes nor the harder workers)
Report cards don't show a GPA, so I can't tell whether it will be included in the GPA on her transcript, but based on the letter grade and number of credits, I'd have to assume 'yes'.
I can't speak to what your school does but I can tell you it won't matter what her GPA is that the high school releases.

Every single college will ignore GPA and calculate their own.  This is the only way they can try and create even a semblance of balance since there is no one standard every high school follows for GPA.  How each college will treat PE is a variable.

You should check to see if your high school has a handbook online that talks about how the GPA is determined.  Typically it is a calculation that takes into account credit and grades.  Many high schools then weigh the courses, giving added bonus's for AP etc.   Colleges strip away the weighting and then use their own methods to factor in course difficulty.

I coached basketball at the D1 level (G.A. role). 

It is late in the game, but it is also less rare than you'd think to utilize this type of stuff you describe for a preferred walk-on spot (and lots of scholarships end up handed out at this stage as well, depending on school and the way things have gone). It's when we basically have our scholarships filled, or don't have a ton on you, but like what we see and you want to be there and work at it. So in a case like where he's already got merit $$ for non-athletics, he could totally play and should hit up the coach kind of as soon as he can. 
I am hoping down the stretch he has a monster game like he did several times in his early teens. For folks that played basketball, there are times / games when you are ON and almost literally can't miss. I remember a tournament where he hit 10 threes in a half and ended up with 50 points. But they changed his role in high school to interior defender and close range scorer, so he rarely has had the green light to start bombing threes. He takes and makes some these days but they don't really want him that far away from the basket or settling for long shots.

This week, he almost had a 20 point / 20 rebound game and missed by a rebound or two. We'll see how the rest of the season goes. He seems to be getting more into it because the team is doing well. This year has been much crazier than season's past, when games were played in front of 30 people. Now they are playing to standing room only crowds in packed gyms with multiple reporters, photographers, and some TV coverage. Having been involved in more sports than I can count over the years, there is NOTHING like the environment at a hyped up high school basketball game. It gets loud and crazy and the tension is like nothing else and you can't hear anything because it is so rocking. Unlike other sports, the crowd is literally two feet from the action.

What's also funny this year is he's had a bunch of posterizing dunks and kids on the OTHER team cheer for him do get the ball and do something crazy. He almost had a windmill jam from the free throw line in traffic over someone the other night that would have been a lock for Sports Center Top 10. Unfortunately, he threw the ball down too hard and back rimmed it.

Not sure how many coaches would come look at him since he isn't even in the recruiting portal to make himself available. I will work on him on trying to be a walk on, but he needs to settle on a school (he has so many applications out it's hard to approach all the coaches) and he needs to have a good experience down the stretch. If the team keeps doing well, they keep winning, and they make a decent championship run he might be convinced to try to play in college.

I'm very reluctant to ever contact the school to complain about stuff, but this would have me in the administration's office in a heartbeat.  As for whether it counts that will depend on the colleges to which she is applying.  For the most part, the GPA reported on her transcript is meaningless.  They will use the grades on her report card to calculate a GPA using their own system.  And if there is a C+ on the transcript, they may very well take it into account in that computation (even if her high school doesn't).  So screwing over your daughter's transcript in a gym class for seemingly absurd reasons is something I would absolutely be protesting. 

Don't lose sleep over this.  A vast majority of schools could care less about a C+ in one marking period in physical education.

I'm very reluctant to ever contact the school to complain about stuff, but this would have me in the administration's office in a heartbeat.  As for whether it counts that will depend on the colleges to which she is applying.  For the most part, the GPA reported on her transcript is meaningless.  They will use the grades on her report card to calculate a GPA using their own system.  And if there is a C+ on the transcript, they may very well take it into account in that computation (even if her high school doesn't).  So screwing over your daughter's transcript in a gym class for seemingly absurd reasons is something I would absolutely be protesting. 
From the places that we have spoken to, schools pick and choose the classes they care about, the level of the classes, and the number of classes taken compared to the offerings at the highest level as a basis for comparison. None of the schools we have engaged with cared about gym (and several other classes like art, music, home economics, etc.). No way of really knowing without getting a breakdown from each individual college in terms of what they look at. As several others have said, they have their own formula to come up with what they care about.

From the places that we have spoken to, schools pick and choose the classes they care about, the level of the classes, and the number of classes taken compared to the offerings at the highest level as a basis for comparison. None of the schools we have engaged with cared about gym (and several other classes like art, music, home economics, etc.). No way of really knowing without getting a breakdown from each individual college in terms of what they look at. As several others have said, they have their own formula to come up with what they care about.
Well, I don't want to create any unnecessary alarm, but while they may not care about someone getting an A in gym, they may care about someone getting a C+ in gym.

Well, I don't want to create any unnecessary alarm, but while they may not care about someone getting an A in gym, they may care about someone getting a C+ in gym.
I got a C+ in gym once as a three-sport varsity guy and that was indeed problematic. The alarm bells go off because it generally means something behavioral is off. Or he had to take gymnastics.

three-sport varsity
My daughter's competitive sports career ended in 1st grade when was more interested in picking dandelions than chasing the ball in rec soccer.  Her little sister got whatever athletic genes were available.  So this may be less of an issue for her than it was for you.

My daughter's competitive sports career ended in 1st grade when was more interested in picking dandelions than chasing the ball in rec soccer.  Her little sister got whatever athletic genes were available.  So this may be less of an issue for her than it was for you.
Ah, yes. That may be problematic. My apologies for jumping in. I sort of always thought that B's in Gym were effort and/or decorum grades. That really may not be the case. 

And I shouldn't be surprised any more, but kids are supposed to, or are required to log volunteer hours? I'm sure we all feel this way- but if you're required to volunteer for HS or college...is it really volunteering?
NHS requires documented volunteer hours to qualify. It looks good on the college resume, so most serious students try to get it. You're correct that it's not really "volunteering" though, and with my kids, it barely qualified as work either. It usually turned into social events where they went and hung out with their friends while helping run some program for younger kids. Sure beats what I was doing at that age though. It's a win-win-win really. Good for the kids, good for the teens, and good for the parents. 

NHS requires documented volunteer hours to qualify. It looks good on the college resume, so most serious students try to get it. You're correct that it's not really "volunteering" though, and with my kids, it barely qualified as work either. It usually turned into social events where they went and hung out with their friends while helping run some program for younger kids. Sure beats what I was doing at that age though. It's a win-win-win really. Good for the kids, good for the teens, and good for the parents. 
Our son actually did real work for his volunteer hours. He picked up and redistributed food from grocery stores and restaurants for our local food pantry. Every time he was there he did a ton of heavy lifting and relocated stuff in their storage area and put cases and boxes on shelves. He was beat when he came back. He also did a bunch of physical labor for a church group. Helped build a deck, cleared snow, raked leaves, etc. He also did clean up and maintenance for a non-profit kennel that did specialized dog training. And some of his basketball stuff involved running clinics with like 100 elementary kids for two hours at a time where it was him and one other person (and the adults that were supposed to show up never did).

The problem is, a lot of kids do next to nothing for volunteering but it is next to impossible for places to know what they actually did. At one point, our son was up for scholarship money for exceptional grades and playing football with a minimal component for community service. The order of importance was supposed to be academic performance, on-field performance, and a minimal amount of hours for volunteering. At the time, our son had the highest GPA you could get (maxed out), so no one could have done better. He led the state / league in TD's and yardage. And he met the hours requirement for volunteering. He was selected as a finalist for the scholarship banquet.

A kid won the top $3,000 scholarship award because BOTH his parents fabricated all these phantom hours of community service the kid was said to have done where the parents worked (different companies). The kid even admitted he never did any of the stuff that his parents listed. Not one bit of it. They still gave him the money. His grades were decent but not great. And he was mostly a bit player on the football team. I think they gave us a $50 dollar savings bond.

So I agree that what who knows what community service and volunteering is intended to do these days and what is actually done as a holistic volunteer?

Users who are viewing this thread