What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (3 Viewers)

We have started combing through the list of available scholarships at the schools where our son got accepted. Some places listed over 200 of them. But reading through them, so many are so specialized that we stand no chance. We aren't farmers. We aren't Native Americans. He doesn't identify as transgender. He's not a blended Asian-Hispanic. I didn't die on active duty in law enforcement. He didn't come out of the foster system. Neither of his parents will be incarcerated for the duration of his college career. He hasn't given up an organ for transplant.  He is not pursuing a career in forestry, zoology, or marine biology. But you can't tell if you qualify unless you read them all.

We have started combing through the list of available scholarships at the schools where our son got accepted. Some places listed over 200 of them. But reading through them, so many are so specialized that we stand no chance. We aren't farmers. We aren't Native Americans. He doesn't identify as transgender. He's not a blended Asian-Hispanic. I didn't die on active duty in law enforcement. He didn't come out of the foster system. Neither of his parents will be incarcerated for the duration of his college career. He hasn't given up an organ for transplant.  He is not pursuing a career in forestry, zoology, or marine biology. But you can't tell if you qualify unless you read them all.
How do you know?

Tell him to slap on a pair of heels and some lipstick and get that money.

Big news in the Tecumseh household- Tec Jr got her first acceptance letter today to Middle Tennessee State. This is the first response she has gotten, and is probably her 3rd or 4th choice, but still great to have in her pocket. The most important thing is that they do have a top 10 flight program (she wants to be a pilot), and we family reasonably close.

Now we just have to figure out how to pay for it.

ETA: More good news: it looks like since there is no flight major in Georgia that she may qualify for in-state tuition in Tennessee. That would be yuuuuuge.
Your daughter’s going to college!!!  Such a a great feeling to get the first acceptance. Congrats and best of luck to her in pursuing such a great career!

Tecumseh said:
Big news in the Tecumseh household- Tec Jr got her first acceptance letter today to Middle Tennessee State. This is the first response she has gotten, and is probably her 3rd or 4th choice, but still great to have in her pocket. The most important thing is that they do have a top 10 flight program (she wants to be a pilot), and we family reasonably close.

Now we just have to figure out how to pay for it.

ETA: More good news: it looks like since there is no flight major in Georgia that she may qualify for in-state tuition in Tennessee. That would be yuuuuuge.
Congrats - awesome news!

For whomever was asking a page or two back about GPA’s, my son just got his first semester report1 card. Cumulative 3.9 unweighted and 4.80 weighted GPA. Had a 5.05 weighted GPA the first semester. 
🤯

For whomever was asking a page or two back about GPA’s, my son just got his first semester report1 card. Cumulative 3.9 unweighted and 4.80 weighted GPA. Had a 5.05 weighted GPA the first semester. 
🤯
So I’m guessing some of the classes are on a 6 point scale?

Things are starting to get pretty tense at our house. We are still waiting to hear back from multiple schools on multiple issues including: Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Central Florida, Boston College, Boston University, Bentley, and Washington & Lee. Some of those have blown past their notification of acceptance deadline. Once they miss the deadline, they say they had so many applicants they are extending the notification window. Some are on their third extension. Others missed their notification window for scholarship selection and notification. We have reached out to the schools and they say they are reviewing kids as fast as they can. The issue is, some of the kids that have posted that they have been accepted and received scholarship money applied AFTER we did. Now they are saying that the scholarship money is all but dried up and "they will see if they can find anymore money and try for an immediate review."

Five of the schools I listed have not provided any indication (accepted / declined) and won't budge when pressed. We also have re-sent financial information, transcripts, test scores on several occasions in case any information was missing, lost, etc. Also in the "additional information to consider" category, these schools have posted requirements for certain level merit-based scholarships, yet now they are saying it most likely is too late to get those (even though we applied by the time they said, included all the information they requested, and met all the criteria to earn those scholarships). We have called and left messages, spoken to admissions people on the phone, emailed over and over again and generally have gotten nowhere. What else can we do or should we be doing?

Senior who is not a great student, and does not test well (took the ACT twice, did not score well) got into his "safe" school, so that is good news.  Was a worrisome few weeks wondering if he'd get in anywhere based on his test scores and lateness of applying to schools of choice.  It's quite a relief to know he won't have to go the "take a year off and find yourself" route and do it all over again.
Senior has been accepted to 2 of the 4 schools he applied.  He missed something at one of the schools, and decided to take it off his list anyway (it was his fourth choice anyway).  His three schools to decide betwee:

Choice #1 - not accepted yet.  Not his favorite school, but has a chance to play baseball (will be as expensive as choice #2).

Choice #2 - Accepted.  Private school, expensive, we don't qualify for much aid, so he'll be graduating with a lot of debt.

Choice #3 - Accepted, public, haven't heard any aid package yet, but full sticker price is less than choice #2 (probably what we'll end up paying).  We could bust our butts and he could get out with minimal debt.

I hate to tell him than money is the deciding factor, and want him to get the best experience he can get.  On the other hand, he's going to have fun in college no matter where it is, and in four years he's going to be a lot happier not having all that debt weighing him down.

Things are starting to get pretty tense at our house. We are still waiting to hear back from multiple schools on multiple issues including: Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Central Florida, Boston College, Boston University, Bentley, and Washington & Lee. Some of those have blown past their notification of acceptance deadline. Once they miss the deadline, they say they had so many applicants they are extending the notification window. Some are on their third extension. Others missed their notification window for scholarship selection and notification. We have reached out to the schools and they say they are reviewing kids as fast as they can. The issue is, some of the kids that have posted that they have been accepted and received scholarship money applied AFTER we did. Now they are saying that the scholarship money is all but dried up and "they will see if they can find anymore money and try for an immediate review."
that is awful.  I have actually never heard of this happening.

I am very familiar with Boston College, Boston University and Bentley and know many kids who have applied and eventually attended these schools over the years.  Were these three among-st the ones that did not notify your child?

that is awful.  I have actually never heard of this happening.

I am very familiar with Boston College, Boston University and Bentley and know many kids who have applied and eventually attended these schools over the years.  Were these three among-st the ones that did not notify your child?
Yes. For starters, we are still awaiting acceptance / denial from those 3 schools you listed. When we reach out to them, they say they have a backlog and they will look into it . . . and to check the portal and our email. They eventually will send a message asking for a clarification on something . . . or more financial info . . . or a tax form . . . or a signature on a disclosure form . . . or his scholastic or test info. Basically, all stuff that we gave to them initially. They basically say they didn't see whatever they wanted the first time . . . or it wasn't clear the first time . . . or that they require something that was not on the FAFSA data.

Today we are having to re-send EVERYTHING in an email to the Central Florida Admissions Department for an emergency scholarship review. All his academic and standardized test records. All his scholarship offers and acceptance notifications from OTHER schools. All our financial records. Basically, anything and everything we can find. We have been all over them for weeks and months, yet NOW they are concerned that we somehow fell through the cracks. We found other kids that qualified for their top scholarship programs that had to do the same song and dance as we are doing, and they gave them a token $2,000 for the inconvenience of having to hound them . . . but those kids were told they are out of scholarship money and that's all they can get. So this seems like a massive waste of time to drop everything to make sure we scan all our documents to send to them. They don't even want to use the electronic records that they already received.

Same thing for South Carolina. When we first applied and were accepted, they sent us an email saying we met their qualifications for in-state tuition. That was MONTHS ago, and at the time they said they would follow up later with the official notification for the in-state tuition. That never showed up. Now they are saying they basically offered that to the kids that qualified long ago and they really aren't reviewing candidates for that anymore. We explained to them we met all the requirements and applied well before the timeline they said . . . AND THAT THEY WERE THE ONES THAT SAID WE QUALIFIED. They have a record of all of that, and it's all date stamped.  Now they are saying the info on their website is a "guideline" and they list "suggested timelines," but they make no promises that they would offer in-state tuition to everyone from out of state who qualifies, when those offers would or would not be extended to potential students, and when they stop offering the in-state tuition. So we have to send all of his stuff ALL OVER AGAIN to have a special review committee to determine what happened and what they want to do about it.

Rinse and repeat for Ohio State. Our son got accepted months ago and they said he should qualify for any number of scholarships and they would let us know. But they never did. Our older son CURRENTLY IS ENROLLED THERE, and they STILL haven't followed up with us. We have emailed them, called them, and even showed up in person and they have given us the song and dance about they had so many more applicants this year . . . everyone is more qualified this year . . . they don't have as much money to dole out this year . . . they haven't really found anything for him, blah, blah, blah. Our son that is graduating from OSU this year had LOWER everything than the one that just applied (lower test scores, lower GPA, lighter course load, fewer activities, etc.) . . . yet they gave him a TON of scholarship money. For the younger one, it seems like all they are saying is he got accepted and they may not come up with anything else. The younger one wants to be in the same program as the older one. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Yes. For starters, we are still awaiting acceptance / denial from those 3 schools you listed. When we reach out to them, they say they have a backlog and they will look into it . . . and to check the portal and our email. They eventually will send a message asking for a clarification on something . . . or more financial info . . . or a tax form . . . or a signature on a disclosure form . . . or his scholastic or test info. Basically, all stuff that we gave to them initially. They basically say they didn't see whatever they wanted the first time . . . or it wasn't clear the first time . . . or that they require something that was not on the FAFSA data.
From the Boston U website: When will I receive my admission decision and how?

BU will send you an email when a decision is posted on the MyBU portal. Decisions are posted as follows:
Early Decision: No later than December 15
Early Decision 2: No later than February 15
Regular Decision: Late March to early April

From BC:
Regular Decision applicants will be notified of their admission decision no later than April 1.

From Bentley:
Decision notification date late March

They don't have a backlog, they haven't made their decisions and reached their notification date yet.

BU will send you an email when a decision is posted on the MyBU portal. Decisions are posted as follows:

From BC:
Regular Decision applicants will be notified of their admission decision no later than April 1.

From Bentley:

They don't have a backlog, they haven't made their decisions and reached their notification date yet.
I am probably explaining things wrong, so we may both be right. The people we have been interacting with have given us a window of when we should hear back from them (not the dates that you just posted). So I am going off of the timelines that they gave us directly (for example, applying by 11/1, we were told we should have an answer by 12/15 - 1/1). Then they upped it to 2/15. So sure, they may post on the portal or website "March or April" as their notification window . . . but that's not what they told us.

No one ever said to us "we won't notify you until March or April." It's always been "we should let you know in 4-6 weeks . . . at worst 8 weeks)." That's what has been told to us several times from several schools.  So we have been working on a 4-8 week window followed by another 4-8 week window (whatever the math turns out to be). When they communicate with us, they give us a "you should hear from us" date and they also provide a "if you haven't heard from us, then contact us" date. Maybe they shouldn't have given us that timeline as being 4-8 weeks and just said you will know by March or April. A lot of it has to do with applying earlier to qualify for scholarships. We applied at the same time as Early Decision kids (just not as Early Decision). Pretty much every school has told us we had to apply early to qualify for the scholarships they award. Similarly, they have indicated if everything takes until April, there won't be much scholarship money left.

We have seen other kids get accepted and notified of scholarships that applied way after we did (and had lower GPA's and test scores). So I have no idea what order they consider applicants and why some get consideration before others even though they applied later. Hopefully that better explains things.

Yes. For starters, we are still awaiting acceptance / denial from those 3 schools you listed.
this makes so little sense.  Is this regular decision from these 3 schools or is it early decision?  I did not even think those schools sent any letters of acceptance yet for regular decision.

From BC:

From Bentley:

yeah something is way off here.

I just checked college confidential for BU and none of the RD kids have been notified yet.  They are expecting the date to be March 21st from some exploring they have done.

..and now I just did the same for BC, no one on RD has been notified yet.  They are also expecting around March 21st.

Last edited by a moderator:
this makes so little sense.  Is this regular decision from these 3 schools or is it early decision?  I did not even think those schools sent any letters of acceptance yet for regular decision.
We applied regular decision but at the same time as early decision to get the most consideration for scholarships (as we were instructed). Maybe the kids that applied after us who got accepted (and got scholarships notifications) applied early decision. That would explain why they already heard something and we didn't, even though we applied earlier than they did. There are so many schools in play for us still, maybe I confused the situation on a school or two, but in the main places are telling us dates and not acting by then.

We applied regular decision but at the same time as early decision to get the most consideration for scholarships (as we were instructed). Maybe the kids that applied after us who got accepted (and got scholarships notifications) applied early decision. That would explain why they already heard something and we didn't, even though we applied earlier than they did. 
that makes more sense.

ED kids have been notified at those schools.

RD kids have not been notified at those schools.

that makes more sense.

ED kids have been notified at those schools.

RD kids have not been notified at those schools.
I think where the confusion lies is when we asked the school representatives for a timeline, they tossed out dates that were likely nothing more than guesses. I believe that someone from BC or BU mentioned that they would probably start notifying regular decision kids in mid- to late- February. They probably were just pulling that timeframe out of thin air. Just out of curiosity, do places generally consider kids in the order that they applied? Or is it more based on how they rank the potential students (ie, who is most qualified vs. those that are less qualified)? Either way, is there any benefit to applying regular decision in the early decision window? I only bring that up because some places indicated to us that if we applied earlier, we would hear back earlier. Is there generally anything to that?

We applied regular decision but at the same time as early decision to get the most consideration for scholarships (as we were instructed). Maybe the kids that applied after us who got accepted (and got scholarships notifications) applied early decision. That would explain why they already heard something and we didn't, even though we applied earlier than they did. There are so many schools in play for us still, maybe I confused the situation on a school or two, but in the main places are telling us dates and not acting by then.
I know it's a stressful time but I think you need to try to relax and let it all play out. Hounding schools for news when they have not yet finished their decision-making process is not going to help your chances.

The world is not conspiring against you - try to take a deep breath and be a calming influence for your son. I worry that you getting wound up over perceived slights will amp up what is already the most stressful time in his young life. Good luck dude.

I know it's a stressful time but I think you need to try to relax and let it all play out. Hounding schools for news when they have not yet finished their decision-making process is not going to help your chances.

The world is not conspiring against you - try to take a deep breath and be a calming influence for your son. I worry that you getting wound up over perceived slights will amp up what is already the most stressful time in his young life. Good luck dude.
A lot of the angst and agitation is being initiated by mom, who has become a bit of a helicopter parent and clearly is having future separation anxiety issues (her last child is about to leave the house). So he gets an earful to check on all his pending applications and notifications everyday. And then I get an earful about the status and daily update on 12 schools everyday. And then I get second helping if he DOESN'T check on everything everyday. Then I also get regular updates on every other kid in town and where they got accepted, what they got offered, and where they committed. I mostly defer and tell her things will work themselves out . . . despite the temptation to tell her to go chill and down a bottle of wine to relax.

I think where the confusion lies is when we asked the school representatives for a timeline, they tossed out dates that were likely nothing more than guesses. I believe that someone from BC or BU mentioned that they would probably start notifying regular decision kids in mid- to late- February. They probably were just pulling that timeframe out of thin air. Just out of curiosity, do places generally consider kids in the order that they applied? 
I don't know who you talked to so I can't speak to what they said but I can safely assure that outside of very very specific circumstances, schools do not just nilly willy choose if and when they will notify children.   They all have a hard date and almost every child hears on the exact same day for the same school.

The only deviation from this are rolling admissions schools.

All regular admission schools, to my knowledge, do not treat kids different based on the order they apply.   A kid who gets his application in on the last day I believe is treated identical to the kid that gets it in a month early.

This is really simple to be honest.  There is no need to bother anyone at the school until you are 100% sure they have notified the RD students.  There are a bunch of places online where you can see if it has happened or not.

Five of the schools I listed have not provided any indication (accepted / declined) and won't budge when pressed. We also have re-sent financial information, transcripts, test scores on several occasions in case any information was missing, lost, etc. Also in the "additional information to consider" category, these schools have posted requirements for certain level merit-based scholarships, yet now they are saying it most likely is too late to get those (even though we applied by the time they said, included all the information they requested, and met all the criteria to earn those scholarships). We have called and left messages, spoken to admissions people on the phone, emailed over and over again and generally have gotten nowhere. What else can we do or should we be doing?
This is so odd.  My son applied to 10 schools and not a single one has missed any notification deadline on any matter.  He's received responses from 7 of them, 2 of which were early application responses where he was deferred to regular decision.  So he's still waiting to hear from 5 schools, all of which promise responses ranging from mid-March to early April.  One of those is Boston University (an overlap with one of the schools your son applied to), and their stated response time is late March/early April.  Getting decisions from schools in March is pretty standard for a lot of schools and I can't imagine pressing them to provide a response.  We've obviously had a different experience than you have, but we haven't once contacted a school's admission's office, left a message, or emailed asking for an update.  At the very least, I hope you haven't been calling Boston University pressing them for an indication of whether your son will be accepted or rejected.  That would be bad form and likely not helpful in my opinion.

Edit to add:  I see all of this has already been covered.  Never mind.

I think where the confusion lies is when we asked the school representatives for a timeline, they tossed out dates that were likely nothing more than guesses. I believe that someone from BC or BU mentioned that they would probably start notifying regular decision kids in mid- to late- February. They probably were just pulling that timeframe out of thin air. Just out of curiosity, do places generally consider kids in the order that they applied? Or is it more based on how they rank the potential students (ie, who is most qualified vs. those that are less qualified)? Either way, is there any benefit to applying regular decision in the early decision window? I only bring that up because some places indicated to us that if we applied earlier, we would hear back earlier. Is there generally anything to that?
Not at BU.  And if you've been calling them repeatedly to ask when you will be hearing from them: (1) I wouldn't rely on any estimate that they provide that is any earlier than their stated response date; and (2) you may not be hurting your son's prospect of acceptance, but you're certainly not helping.

I don't know who you talked to so I can't speak to what they said but I can safely assure that outside of very very specific circumstances, schools do not just nilly willy choose if and when they will notify children.   They all have a hard date and almost every child hears on the exact same day for the same school.

The only deviation from this are rolling admissions schools.

All regular admission schools, to my knowledge, do not treat kids different based on the order they apply.   A kid who gets his application in on the last day I believe is treated identical to the kid that gets it in a month early.

This is really simple to be honest.  There is no need to bother anyone at the school until you are 100% sure they have notified the RD students.  There are a bunch of places online where you can see if it has happened or not.
Exactly.  Check out the College Confidential boards for the respective schools.

We applied regular decision but at the same time as early decision to get the most consideration for scholarships (as we were instructed).
I have to say, of all the people over the years who have commented in this thread Anarchy has had by far the most unique experience.  Time and again he posts things that I had never heard of before.

This one I quoted above is again something I was unaware of.  I have never heard of any non rolling admissions college favoring kids who pass in applications early for scholarships.    Has anyone else ever heard of this? 

I would almost say this makes no sense from the schools point of view.  I would think schools want to see the entire pool of RD applicants before they decide who gets a scholarship.

I have to say, of all the people over the years who have commented in this thread Anarchy has had by far the most unique experience.  Time and again he posts things that I had never heard of before.

This one I quoted above is again something I was unaware of.  I have never heard of any non rolling admissions college favoring kids who pass in applications early for scholarships.    Has anyone else ever heard of this? 

I would almost say this makes no sense from the schools point of view.  I would think schools want to see the entire pool of RD applicants before they decide who gets a scholarship.
Ok, I got clarification from my wife what is going on. The issue with the Boston schools is not them giving us a decision. It’s them saying our son’s application is not yet complete. So we have been going back and forth with them trying to check off all the boxes to have a “complete” application. So that’s one batch of schools. 

The next bucket are schools with rolling admissions. They are the ones changing the notification dates and not yet making a decision. 

And the last group is the ones where he was accepted and was due announcement of any scholarship money. Those are the ones that said to apply early for most consideration. Those are the ones that have not gotten back to us. 

Hopefully that clears things up. Sorry as I did not fully understand what was going on. That makes much more sense.  

Ok, I got clarification from my wife what is going on. The issue with the Boston schools is not them giving us a decision. It’s them saying our son’s application is not yet complete. So we have been going back and forth with them trying to check off all the boxes to have a “complete” application. So that’s one batch of schools. 
out of interest for future readers, what are some of the items he was missing on the applications?

out of interest for future readers, what are some of the items he was missing on the applications?
They needed his SAT report again because they got an old one without his higher test scores. And I believe they wanted his updated transcript after first semester. And I am self employed, so they wanted a bunch of business forms and financial records. I also believe they asked for authorization to get either FAFSA or tax records. 

The next bucket are schools with rolling admissions. They are the ones changing the notification dates and not yet making a decision. 
Regarding the schools with rolling admissions, the College Confidential forum for those schools will likely provide you with some insight as to when batches of decisions are made, who is receiving decisions (often it’s by major, or out of state vs. in state).  But ultimately, you just have to be patient. Before my son was accepted to Texas, there were a bunch of acceptances that went out to a variety of other applicants. We just remained patient.  Anxious, but patient.

They needed his SAT report again because they got an old one without his higher test scores. And I believe they wanted his updated transcript after first semester. And I am self employed, so they wanted a bunch of business forms and financial records. I also believe they asked for authorization to get either FAFSA or tax records. 
Yeah, you need to check the online admissions portals as schools will often post that they need your first semester transcript without emailing you about it.

Okay, had some time to kill and thought I’d browse the College Confidential forums to see what I could learn regarding timing on the rolling admissions schools you referenced. The schools you listed were:  Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Central Florida, Boston College, Boston University, Bentley, and Washington & Lee.  Your son is already accepted to Ohio State and South Carolina.  It also sounds like he’s been accepted at Central Florida as you are currently engaged in the scholarship review process.

As noted above, BC, BU and Bentley are not rolling admissions schools, and regular decision notifications have not gone out yet. That leaves Washington and Lee and Florida.

Washington and Lee has a stated  notification deadline of April 1 for regular decision applicants. Per College Confidential (CC), last year, notifications for regular decision applicants went out on March 22nd. It does not appear that any of this year’s RD applicants have received decisions yet  

At Florida, if your son applied by November 1, he will receive his decision on February 28 at 6pm Eastern (just a few days away). If he applied after November 1, decisions will be released on March 27 at 6pm. 

Hope that is helpful. But I don’t think that any of the schools listed that you are waiting on are rolling admissions schools. Are there others you didn’t list?

I think that's a great policy, and hopefully the colleges know that about your son's high school so they don't penalize kids for not crushing themselves in coursework.

What's the next steps for him? I would think UT Austin would be the top choice thus far, right?
At the risk of Hippling this thread, I wanted to respond to this post as somehow I missed it. Really appreciate the insight and input you’ve provided previously. It’s been helpful. My son has been very reticent to indicate what his top choice is among the schools he’s heard from thus far, but he and his mom just got back from a trip to Purdue and while he said he liked it, he remarked that he thought he liked Texas better. That said, he’s been adamant that he’s not making any decisions (including withdrawing apps) until he’s heard from all the schools to which he has applied. So we really don’t have any real idea at this point. Anyway, thanks again, and when we do get closer to a decision point, I will for sure be reaching out. 

At the risk of Hippling this thread, I wanted to respond to this post as somehow I missed it. Really appreciate the insight and input you’ve provided previously. It’s been helpful. My son has been very reticent to indicate what his top choice is among the schools he’s heard from thus far, but he and his mom just got back from a trip to Purdue and while he said he liked it, he remarked that he thought he liked Texas better. That said, he’s been adamant that he’s not making any decisions (including withdrawing apps) until he’s heard from all the schools to which he has applied. So we really don’t have any real idea at this point. Anyway, thanks again, and when do get closer to a decision point, I will for sure be reaching out. 
Glad to hear, BB. All the best.

We went up to Middle Tennessee State for  campus visit last week. The campus itself was underwhelming. Just seemed kind of run down, especially compared to Auburn or Ohio State. That being said, we do understand that it's more of a commuter school, so definitely on a different level than the other two. The other side of that coin is that we could not have been more impressed with their flight program. It's a top 10 ranked program and has some major advantages over similar programs that cost wayyy more. My daughter was not accepted to tOSU, which fortunately she had prepared herself for. The last school we are waiting to hear from is Auburn, and I don't expect an acceptance there either. Even if she were accepted, their flight program is roughly 3x the cost of MTSU, plus the tuition would be 2x higher.

So basically we're down to MTSU or Ohio Univ. I have no idea if we'll even be able to visit OU anytime soon, so in all likelihood, she'll be at MTSU next year.

We went up to Middle Tennessee State for  campus visit last week. The campus itself was underwhelming. Just seemed kind of run down, especially compared to Auburn or Ohio State. That being said, we do understand that it's more of a commuter school, so definitely on a different level than the other two. The other side of that coin is that we could not have been more impressed with their flight program. It's a top 10 ranked program and has some major advantages over similar programs that cost wayyy more. My daughter was not accepted to tOSU, which fortunately she had prepared herself for. The last school we are waiting to hear from is Auburn, and I don't expect an acceptance there either. Even if she were accepted, their flight program is roughly 3x the cost of MTSU, plus the tuition would be 2x higher.

So basically we're down to MTSU or Ohio Univ. I have no idea if we'll even be able to visit OU anytime soon, so in all likelihood, she'll be at MTSU next year.
This is really interesting. Is her goal to go straight into commercial flying?  Because, obviously, if she’s interested in military service, I’d imagine there are options to get her education paid for. Also, I didn’t realize that flight school at a college is a cost in addition to tuition. Is it a significant added expense?  And does she do flight school for all four years of undergrad?

Have you been there before?  It is a very nice campus.  

bigbottom said:
This is really interesting. Is her goal to go straight into commercial flying?  Because, obviously, if she’s interested in military service, I’d imagine there are options to get her education paid for. Also, I didn’t realize that flight school at a college is a cost in addition to tuition. Is it a significant added expense?  And does she do flight school for all four years of undergrad?
We looked at ROTC for quite awhile, but her SAT scores weren't good enough to qualify for a scholarship. She has no interest in enlisting first, and then going to school. The flight programs are expensive. Auburn is about $80k. MTSU is far less, but still in the $25k-$30k range. She will have flight school all four years, but wouldn't start actually flying until spring semester of her Freshman year. She would have her private pilot license by the end of Freshman year. One option we are looking at is getting her to get that one this summer on our own, because if I remember correctly, it's about half the cost. Then she can work on a different license next Spring. That also gets her one semester closer to being a flight instructor, so she can make some money, gain flight hours and defer some costs while she's still in school.

Galileo said:
Have you been there before?  It is a very nice campus.  
I haven't. I'm not sure when we have to lock in for one school or another, so we may try to get a quick weekend trip up there, but I don't know if it's doable.

I'm not sure when we have to lock in for one school or another, so we may try to get a quick weekend trip up there, but I don't know if it's doable.
I believe most colleges will give you until May 1st.

I think Ohio University is a rolling admissions school so I am unsure how that works in terms of when you have to answer.  I am sure the letter will say when it is needed.

I haven't. I'm not sure when we have to lock in for one school or another, so we may try to get a quick weekend trip up there, but I don't know if it's doable.
Seems like if you (and more importantly, she) aren't wowed by your other option, you could consider it even if she doesn't get to visit the campus.

My daughter got into her first choice, American University (ED2), and got a pretty decent chunk of change for a merit scholarship, so I am quite proud (and happy for her).  She still has some anxiety about going away, but hopefully that will begin to dissipate.  She did receive $2k more from another college (early action), and I am wondering whether we can negotiate with American to see whether they would match, and if so, who would you contact, and would it be me (the guy paying the bills) or my daughter (the student)?

My daughter got into her first choice, American University (ED2), and got a pretty decent chunk of change for a merit scholarship, so I am quite proud (and happy for her).  She still has some anxiety about going away, but hopefully that will begin to dissipate.  She did receive $2k more from another college (early action), and I am wondering whether we can negotiate with American to see whether they would match, and if so, who would you contact, and would it be me (the guy paying the bills) or my daughter (the student)?
you absolutely can negotiate as there is literally nothing to lose.  Just keep expectations in check (and if you are looking for just $2k more, you are fine in that regards).

I believe it is fine (and generally expected) that you the parent will be the point of contact.

It is said it is better to do this in writing and to send it to the admissions office.  Since it is done in writing, you can choose who you want to sign it, be it you or your daughter.

You want to make it absolutely clear that your child will attend if the gap can be closed.

Make it seem personal.  Mention something very specific about the school that the child likes (major, etc).

and most importantly, congrats!!!!!!

Newly Retired knows his stuff so he’s got this covered. I just wanted to say congrats to your daughter!  That is awesome news!!!

Congrats! I don't want to repeat everything I said earlier, but understand that Dickinson isn't necessarily going to match - their thinking is that Duquesne isn't as desirable as Dickinson, so they don't have to offer as much to be attractive. If Dickinson is her first choice and she would definitely go there if they bump her to the $20K scholarship, here's how I would frame her letter (not these exact words, but along these lines):

Dear Dickinson,

Thanks so much for the generous $15K merit scholarship. I am writing to ask if it's possible for you to re-evaluate my application in light of my ongoing academic success as a senior, and consider awarding me the $20K scholarship. Since my initial application, I have improved my GPA and continued to pursue a very demanding academic schedule. I have included an unofficial copy of my most recent transcript/report card, and would be happy to have my guidance counselor send you a formal version if you desire.

Dickinson is my first choice school. However, finances are a consideration for my family and I have been accepted with merit aid awards at other institutions that would make them much more affordable for me to attend. I don't expect Dickinson to match those offers. But if the College is able to award me the additional $5k a year merit award in light of my ongoing academic achievement, it would close the gap enough to enable me to enroll.

Thank you again, and please don't hesitate to contact me for any additional information.

Sincerely,..
Here's something from last year - it's not quite the same as your exact situation @Sweet Love but it can probably be revised to work. 

you absolutely can negotiate as there is literally nothing to lose.  Just keep expectations in check (and if you are looking for just $2k more, you are fine in that regards).

I believe it is fine (and generally expected) that you the parent will be the point of contact.

It is said it is better to do this in writing and to send it to the admissions office.  Since it is done in writing, you can choose who you want to sign it, be it you or your daughter.

You want to make it absolutely clear that your child will attend if the gap can be closed.

Make it seem personal.  Mention something very specific about the school that the child likes (major, etc).

and most importantly, congrats!!!!!!
Thank you all very much for the advice - I have two more in the chute, so I will be sure to pop in before the 11th hour in the future!

Senior has been accepted to 2 of the 4 schools he applied.  He missed something at one of the schools, and decided to take it off his list anyway (it was his fourth choice anyway).  His three schools to decide betwee:

Choice #1 - not accepted yet.  Not his favorite school, but has a chance to play baseball (will be as expensive as choice #2).

Choice #2 - Accepted.  Private school, expensive, we don't qualify for much aid, so he'll be graduating with a lot of debt.

Choice #3 - Accepted, public, haven't heard any aid package yet, but full sticker price is less than choice #2 (probably what we'll end up paying).  We could bust our butts and he could get out with minimal debt.

I hate to tell him than money is the deciding factor, and want him to get the best experience he can get.  On the other hand, he's going to have fun in college no matter where it is, and in four years he's going to be a lot happier not having all that debt weighing him down.
Update, son has been accepted to all of his top three choices now.  However, his choice #1 school (where he could play baseball) has since told him they are no longer interested in him for baseball.  I assumed that would mean that #1 is off his list as when we did the tour he didn't like the campus (its in the middle of a metro area, so other than the few blocks it takes up, it is surrounded by a metro area).  But, he was comparing the out of pocket costs between choice 1 and choice 2.  Choice 1 is more expensive, but he's still considering it.  I'm lost now as it appears his line of thinking changes daily, and he doesn't communicate when and why he changes his mind.  Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread