What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The one thing I have learned playing ff over 25 years + is? (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
You never know! No one does! It's all pure speculation. You can count the fingers on two hands who will most likely have some degree of success. The rest is a crap shoot putting YOUR best out there. Not some Shark or Expert or TV personality. No one knows!

Now, that being said, footballguys have helped win me money.

Making the playoffs is skill, winning the title is luck.
Skill is doing your homework to the very best of your ability. Like a golfer who won the Michigan Amateur in 3 different decades once told me, I didn't win it, the other guy lost it. Often others make the mistake and then you are their to capitalize by putting yourself in a solid position either on the green below the hole or with a lineup without any holes.

The internet is a powerful tool.

League management software beats the USA Today + calculator + actual cutting & pasting + mailing a newsletter method.

Live scoring apps >>>>>>>> waiting until Tuesday.

Never bench your studs being sage advice has come and gone.

The difference between "fantasy football experts" and yourself is... well... nothing really.

Live draft with your buddies is still the highlight of the season... followed closely by the banquet/winter meeting (held on AFC/NFC Championship Sunday).

Golf tournament is the best idea I've seen yet for week 17 (dumping rosters, picking up all losers, lowest score wins, huge penalty for scoring a zero).

You have a lot more fun playing low stakes, accepting that it is all luck, and playing in fewer leagues.

Still waiting for a suitable replacement to NFL Prime Time.

I liked the TV commentators a lot better when they all pretended to have never even heard of fantasy football (like 5 years ago).

Today's "bell cow" fantasy monster RB's should look up LaDainian Tomlinson's prime fantasy seasons. Would Adrian Peterson's best season even crack LT's top 5?

Kickers are starting to matter.

Rooting for players does not ruin your passion for rooting for your favorite team.

When you have an opinion on a player or a trade you're thinking about, stick to your gut. Say f### the other opinions. If you do enough research of your own (I.e., not listening to a podcast or some schmuck like Matthew Berry, I find 9/10 times you'll have proven yourself right.

The internet is a powerful tool.

League management software beats the USA Today + calculator + actual cutting & pasting + mailing a newsletter method.

Live scoring apps >>>>>>>> waiting until Tuesday.

Never bench your studs being sage advice has come and gone.

The difference between "fantasy football experts" and yourself is... well... nothing really.

Live draft with your buddies is still the highlight of the season... followed closely by the banquet/winter meeting (held on AFC/NFC Championship Sunday).

Golf tournament is the best idea I've seen yet for week 17 (dumping rosters, picking up all losers, lowest score wins, huge penalty for scoring a zero).

You have a lot more fun playing low stakes, accepting that it is all luck, and playing in fewer leagues.

Still waiting for a suitable replacement to NFL Prime Time.

I liked the TV commentators a lot better when they all pretended to have never even heard of fantasy football (like 5 years ago).

Today's "bell cow" fantasy monster RB's should look up LaDainian Tomlinson's prime fantasy seasons. Would Adrian Peterson's best season even crack LT's top 5?

Kickers are starting to matter.

Rooting for players does not ruin your passion for rooting for your favorite team.
I agree with all of this.

I would add, adp is fine tool, but if you really want a guy...get him. Even if you have to reach

What's true in September will not be true in December.  The value of 99% of players is constantly changing.  The draft is only the first half of the battle.  You have to work the waiver wire religiously.

Skill is doing your homework to the very best of your ability. Like a golfer who won the Michigan Amateur in 3 different decades once told me, I didn't win it, the other guy lost it. Often others make the mistake and then you are their to capitalize by putting yourself in a solid position either on the green below the hole or with a lineup without any holes.
I'd say this is true. In 20 years playing in about 40 leagues, I've only missed the playoffs once and it was by a single game. But two of my three most dominant teams didn't win the title.

No matter how much I prepare for a draft, no matter what strategy I thought I'd employ, I always deviate from my plan in a way that I never would have expected, usually to my detriment.

It's really mostly luck and essentially it's a contest as to who can acquire the guy or two who nobody saw coming as a breakout and/or avoid the busts/injuries.

That's basically what I've been saying for years. I have a dynasty league I've been in for well over a decade. I've had the top scoring team many times, but still haven't won the damn thing.

The people who complain about luck always have the worst luck and almost always are on the bottom half of the standings year in/out

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally disagree. You can find gems in the preseason. It doesn't happen often, but it's possible.

That said, I don't let it affect my perspective on established vets too much.
Yep, you can get breakout guys from good preseason performances, but ignore pretty much anything the vets do.

Be a go getta and a value shopper during the draft.

When they zig, you zag.

Ear to the ground, hand on the wire.

Roster spots are gold.

A stud in the hand is worth more than three bums in the bush.

Never take any of this too serious.

Friendships are worth more than championships.

If you spend all day Sunday holed up in your house obsessively tracking your fantasy team's performance and then you end up losing, you'll feel like an idiot for wasting your day. 

If you do that and your team wins ... you'll still feel like an idiot. 

Yep, you can get breakout guys from good preseason performances, but ignore pretty much anything the vets do.
Totally. Especially to determine who the backup would be. Before the season nobody knew Turbin would be the backup to Gore, Pryor would be a starting WR, or Keith Marshall would be fighting for a spot. I live for the preseason.

The internet and amount of fantasy football information at people's fingertips has leveled the playing field quite a bit.

This is the first year I can remember seeing a WR consistently ranked as the #1 fantasy pick.

You never know! No one does! It's all pure speculation. You can count the fingers on two hands who will most likely have some degree of success. The rest is a crap shoot putting YOUR best out there. Not some Shark or Expert or TV personality. No one knows!

Bullpucky.  You KNOW you can be better at everyone else at speculation.

Be a go getta and a value shopper during the draft.

When they zig, you zag.

Ear to the ground, hand on the wire.

Roster spots are gold.

A stud in the hand is worth more than three bums in the bush.

Never take any of this too serious.

Friendships are worth more than championships.
Sage advice.

The excitement for some is waiver moves, trades and roster churn.  If that is your excitement, then make sure the moves you are making add more value than just roster churn.  Every year I tell myself this, and 23 years later I am still making moves for the sake of making moves and wondering why my team went from a perennial championship contender to a consistent mid-tier team.  One of these years I will learn, but probably not this year.

Luck trumps skill in this game.. period.
Nah. It's like poker. Luck plays a large role, but skill will put you in situations with better odds. The teams drafting D and K too early or aren't very active on the WW, those teams can still win the league but they need a lot more luck than a team that is actively putting RBs/WRs on their roster that have breakout potential. Kind of like in poker, people chasing flushes and straights into low odds situations can win but they will more often lose. 

preseason is 99% worthless when judging players.
Disagree also. One thing that is certainly helpful is have they come back from a major injury? Do the players still look explosive and in good condition? How is their rapport with the QB and coach? Are they rising or falling on the depth charts? waht do we see with the new draft picks? 

Disagree also. One thing that is certainly helpful is have they come back from a major injury? Do the players still look explosive and in good condition? How is their rapport with the QB and coach? Are they rising or falling on the depth charts? waht do we see with the new draft picks? 
Agreed. I think preseason is important for things like snap counts, rookies and injured guys. I don't care that Mike Evans shredded last night. That won't make me bump up in my rankings just like Cooks not doing much won't have me bump him down. However, seeing a rookie like Sharpe playing well and showing he belongs in the NFL will put him on my draft board. If you just look at the reports, you saw ASJ got the start. However, watching the game/snap count you can see he wasn't very involved. There were 2 other TEs being used with the starters. On the other hand, Jared Cook was in on probably 70% of the snaps Rodgers took. That I like. 

Being treasurer is more of a PITA than being commissioner.  League mates are tough to adopt use of league safe or pay pal. We've played together almost 20 years now, so we cut some slack, but at the end of the day, money issues are money issues.   Being treasurer is a PITA.

Nah. It's like poker. Luck plays a large role, but skill will put you in situations with better odds. The teams drafting D and K too early or aren't very active on the WW, those teams can still win the league but they need a lot more luck than a team that is actively putting RBs/WRs on their roster that have breakout potential. Kind of like in poker, people chasing flushes and straights into low odds situations can win but they will more often lose. 
There is skill.. but luck trumps it.

No amount of skill can overcome an equivalent amount of bad luck.

I agree with this. Over a 14 game season, it's skill that trumps most bad luck.  I've been playing FF for over 20 years, multiple leagues including higher stake leagues. I've made the playoffs about 85-90% of the time (in four teams advancing to the playoffs, not six)  and each time I missed it was by one game in seasons when I have been crippled by injuries. Even in most years with crippling injuries I've been able to overcome it with depth and good roster management.

I'll admit though that my skill gap has closed over the years with the craze on football sites, magazines, and tv shows. My advantage from watching most of the games and also from devising strategy isn't as strong these days because even the most casual owner has access to this public information.

Once the playoffs start, in most set-ups, it's a one-game crapshoot dependent on match-ups, injuries, etc. One time when I was the #1 seed I set what would have been the high-score for the season and someone averaging 30 points less than my team went off that week and beat me in the Championship. It happens. Lots more standard deviation in one week.

There is skill.. but no luck trumps it.

All the skill in the world cannot overcome an equivalent amount of bad luck.
Sure you could have the best team in the world and a couple unlucky injuries can derail it. The best team can lose to the worst team any given week. A schedule can be unfortunate and the highest scoring team can finish in last place due to unlucky weekly match-ups. A bad owner can get lucky and have Moss and Brady together the year they combine for 70 TDs. AA can lose to 44. Three of a kind can get sucked out on by an inside straight. However, over many leagues and many years, skill trumps luck. There's a reason some poker players consistently win. Even though in any given hand or game, I (who is not good at poker) could beat Phil Ivey. If I played Ivey 100 times, he would destroy me. It is tougher now since information is so widely available. The margins are getting thinner and thinner. 

Sure you could have the best team in the world and a couple unlucky injuries can derail it. The best team can lose to the worst team any given week. A schedule can be unfortunate and the highest scoring team can finish in last place due to unlucky weekly match-ups. A bad owner can get lucky and have Moss and Brady together the year they combine for 70 TDs. AA can lose to 44. Three of a kind can get sucked out on by an inside straight. However, over many leagues and many years, skill trumps luck. There's a reason some poker players consistently win. Even though in any given hand or game, I (who is not good at poker) could beat Phil Ivey. If I played Ivey 100 times, he would destroy me. It is tougher now since information is so widely available. The margins are getting thinner and thinner. 
You keep referring to poker where you can calculate odds, and influence outcomes versus your opponent by bluffing/not bluffing/strategy.

You can't do that in FF.  Here you are entering a lineup based on your prediction of the future and hoping for the best.  Over the course of a season or several seasons no amount of skill can overcome a string of events that cause the worst to happen.  In one game or a season, an injury or several injuries to your studs, or players affecting your studs, flukes, freak weather... or an infinite other variables - you can't do anything to control or affect these.

Over time (a season or seasons), relative skill will usually equate to results... unless luck kills it.

You can draft and pickup and trade for the best roster every single year.. and still not win once.  Because luck.

When you have an opinion on a player or a trade you're thinking about, stick to your gut. Say f### the other opinions. If you do enough research of your own (I.e., not listening to a podcast or some schmuck like Matthew Berry, I find 9/10 times you'll have proven yourself right.
I've learned that confirmation bias plays a very significant role in fantasy football.  

You keep referring to poker where you can calculate odds, and influence outcomes versus your opponent by bluffing/not bluffing/strategy.

You can't do that in FF.  Here you are entering a lineup based on your prediction of the future and hoping for the best.  Over the course of a season or several seasons no amount of skill can overcome a string of events that cause the worst to happen.  In one game or a season, an injury or several injuries to your studs, or players affecting your studs, flukes, freak weather... or an infinite other variables - you can't do anything to control or affect these.

You can draft and pickup and trade for the best roster every single year.. and still not win once.  Because luck.
OK, sports betting. Do you think there are people who are more successful than others at betting on games? If a very good sports gambler was picking games against Average Joe, over time he would get more games right and win more money. Any given week or even season, he could lose because luck is massive. Over the long haul, there is a skill. In all my long running leagues there are few teams that consistently make the playoffs and they aren't a few teams that consistently don't make the playoffs. Year to year there is variance, but over 15 years, it's very clear who the strong players are and the records bare this out. 

Perfect example - That owner breezed through that year - until week 15 (Playoff week 2). Brady/Moss die in the mud against the Jets. 

After 25+ years of playing FF I've learned a few things.....granted these are geared towards PPR leagues (which is all I play)

1.  There's a huge element of luck involved, especially if your league has playoffs.  I'm at the point where I won't join a league that has a playoff structure.  Three out of my Four big money leagues are based on best season record and I can't even tell you how big a fan I am of this format.

2. RB's are completely unreliable, their situation changes by the minute, their weekly workload can be influenced by in-game results, and they get hurt every FIVE minutes.  Bottom line...don't draft them early. I stopped drafting RB's in the first 3 rounds over 6 years ago and my results have been great.

3.  Related to the point above...treat the RB position as interchangeable parts.  For e6.xample I know Deangelo Williams GUARANTEES me a starter for 3 weeks so I'd be more likely to take him before the Bell owner cause believe it or not...he's worth more to me since he acts as a bridge to week 4 for at least one of my rb slots.

4.  Constantly work the wire.  These are all starting to build on each other and this point is directly related to #3.  Stay ahead of the curve and constantly be on the lookout for #2 RB's who are backing up older or injury proned starting running backs.  Some of you will say "all those #2's were drafted" and to that I would say see point #2 above.....rb situations/depth charts are constantly changing and you need to stay on top of that in order to find opportunity.

5. I've been doing this for years and now it works even better than it use to given just how much this league has turned into a passing league.....ALWAYS WAIT ON QB.  When you do finally take  1 take your 2nd relatively soon after that.  Yes you have to burn two roster spots but remember that while others were grabbing their QB's you were stocking up on WR's, RB's, and a good TE.  

6. Don't laugh or make fun of others when their players get hurt....Karma is a mother ####er.

Seems the winning formula in many leagues is to take stud WR in the first few rounds and load up on RB in the mid to late rounds. The fact of the matter is several of the top 15 RB will get hurt or bust. If you have  high end backups like Starks and Ware on your bench and the starter goes down you have an instant RB1 while maintaining a big advantage at WR. 

Users who are viewing this thread