What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Support a Public Option (Medicare You Can Buy Into)? (1 Viewer)

Do You Support a Public Option (Medicare You Can Buy Into)?

• Yes

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

cstu

Footballguy
It's obvious that ACA is a failure - health insurance companies did a poor job of estimating costs and are doing nothing to contain costs.  Since the individual market is not profitable for health insurance companies, I believe it's time for the government to create a public option with the ability for individuals under 65 to buy into Medicare. 

Please vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but by taking the public option, you give rights to make health decisions to an independent group.

Whole-heartedly support single-payer, but it won't happen in America as long as money is speech. No public-policy good will happen any longer in America as long as money is speech.

That's a ####### thing to want and say. 
Yes, because our current system of lighting money on fire is working out so well.

There's no way a public option works if there are no checks on costs.

ETA: The exact same thing happens with private insurance when there are decisions about what will and won't be covered. The private option needs to be more restrictive, not less, than private options. The alternative is Medicare for All, with only people able to pay out of pocket getting anything more than catastrophic coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gawain said:
Yes, because our current system of lighting money on fire is working out so well.

There's no way a public option works if there are no checks on costs.

ETA: The exact same thing happens with private insurance when there are decisions about what will and won't be covered. The private option needs to be more restrictive, not less, than private options. The alternative is Medicare for All, with only people able to pay out of pocket getting anything more than catastrophic coverage.
Giving Medicare the ability to negotiate is necessary, but that should be the case right now.

[scooter] said:
"public option" and "medicare for all" are not the same thing.
Fixed.
Actually what I meant is that the current Medicare system is not what I consider to be a "Public Option". I would like to see the government compete with private insurers on a wider range of services, hopefully forcing private insurance companies to offer better service or lower prices to stay competitive.

Gawain said:
Yes, but by taking the public option, you give rights to make health decisions to an independent group.
As an RN in an ICU, I can categorically state that certain decisions absolutely SHOULD be taken away from families.

Yes. The market cannot solve this problem. It's a shame that we we are so indoctrinated as a country that we can't seem to understand what the rest of the industrialized world figured out quite a while ago.

Yes, I thought just expanding Medicare was better than ACA in the first place - especially since we were trying to solve a problem for "only" 20 million people. ACA is a bureaucracy nightmare. 

Users who are viewing this thread