What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Romo has broken bone in back (1 Viewer)

DropKick

Footballguy
Just saw this during Chiefs/Bears... Not sure how long this will keep him out.  Big fantasy implications from Dez to Zeke to Dak. 

I feel really bad for Romo. I know he gets a lot of hate because he's on the Cowgirls but he does come off as a nice guy. It sucks his career has taken these turns the past few years.

Welcome to the Dak Prescott era. If Dak can play when it's real like he has, Romo is done in Dallas.

Figured I'd put a dynasty claim in this week while the price is still low with Romo starting the year off. :wall:

Dak era begins...first instinct is to drop Dez a bit.

This may actually help Zeke, since mobile QBs often times help the running game.

I'm definitely down on Dez now but why would I be on Elliot? He's still going to be running behind the best OL in the league. Any dip in efficiency should be mitigated by an increase in volume. 

I'm definitely down on Dez now but why would I be on Elliot? He's still going to be running behind the best OL in the league. Any dip in efficiency should be mitigated by an increase in volume. 
he may actually be more efficient as a runner, since running QBs often help the YPC of the RBs.

Holy Sh** snacks!

Wow, Dak with my last pick in a 2 QB is looking good.

Dez just lost about 15-20 draft slots

Rookie QBs tend to lock onto their top WR...could be the case for Dez and may not take as big of a hit as anticipated...interesting scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I really wanna take a flyer on Dak, but QB is so deep.  Ugh.

What does everyone think his true upside is?  I mean, he has looked great, but it's early.

Then again Cam looked AWFUL in his first preseason and that went alright.

You guys are reading the Tealeaves wrong! Buy Dez NOW!!!! Dez will get even more targets with Dak!!! 

Just Do it!

Tex

Man, I really wanna take a flyer on Dak, but QB is so deep.  Ugh.

What does everyone think his true upside is?  I mean, he has looked great, but it's early.

Then again Cam looked AWFUL in his first preseason and that went alright.
I don't see why he cant have a season like Winston or Mariota last year.  He didn't look stunned or overwhelmed in the preseason games.  He has some good targets to help him out, a great O-line and a solid running game. He will also have extra value from his running.  I wouldn't be shocked if he finished inside the top 15 qb's.  

Say what you will about Romo's fragility but his pain threshold must be massive. He broke his back in a preseason game and wanted to go back in.

Jerry Jones didn't want Foles for free.  I won't be surprised if he trades for Josh McCown even if he is backing up Dak. 

Probably because defense now no longer have to worry about Romo and Dez.  No way this is a good thing for elliot.  Think of it like this. Let's say we were wondering what the effectiveness of Lagarrett Blount would be and then someone says "and also remove Tom Brady and Gronk".  I mean, you know at that point, that's where ALL the focus is going to go because nobody is scared of Terrance Williams and Jason Witten anymore.  

You guys are reading the Tealeaves wrong! Buy Dez NOW!!!! Dez will get even more targets with Dak!!! 

Just Do it!

Tex
This is an interesting thought because Dez absolutely has that personality of "let's put it on my back" and he will be the type to be in Dak's ear constantly to get him the ball. I don't think it will translate for Dez because the Cowboys seem to have an uncanny ability at not being able to gameplay Dez open...the exact opposite of teams like the texans and Steelers and other teams who, when they are missing people, seem to turn to their stars and ride them for all its worth.  

But, in theory, I can definitely see the scenario being presented. 

Probably because defense now no longer have to worry about Romo and Dez. No way this is a good thing for elliot. Think of it like this. Let's say we were wondering what the effectiveness of Lagarrett Blount would be and then someone says "and also remove Tom Brady and Gronk". I mean, you know at that point, that's where ALL the focus is going to go because nobody is scared of Terrance Williams and Jason Witten anymore.
Then explain DMC running for 4.6 a clip without Romo and Dez last year. DMC only had a shell of Dez on the field with him too. Dez is at least healthy this year.

Then explain DMC running for 4.6 a clip without Romo and Dez last year. DMC only had a shell of Dez on the field with him too. Dez is at least healthy this year.
I think the difference, honestly, is because last year everyone knew the Cowboys were a bonfire and they knew they could pretty much ignore DMAC because the Cowboys simply had absolutely no talent that could actually beat a team. So a guy like DMAC can do something.  But Elliot IS a rookie...and he IS a high target in people's eyes.  I just think teams will look at Elliot and think "we aren't going to let this guy get going on us" and that is going to wear on him. Lot of punishment, use in ways that until today the Cowboys weren't planning on. in some ways, everything Elliot knows about his role on the team is now out the window. His team and coaches just went from planning ways to use Elliot to exploit teams to now having to have him as a focal point.  

I can see the other side of the thought but I will be very surprised if we see Elliot and the Cowboys consistently roll out the first 5-6 games or more on a successful and steady diet of Elliot just making plays and helping the Cowboys win games.  You just have to know that teams are going to look around and say "keep that guy in check, pressure the rookie QB (which in many case will force elliot to stay in to protect) and nobody else scares us".  

The cowboys are in trouble.  If the Steeler lose Big Ben tomorrow, its the same thing.  Just too hard not to impact everyone. 

Alfred Morris has ranked among the best pass-blocking running backs in the league. They'll use him more to take pressure off the two rookies. They've got a couple weeks to make some adjustments. They may take a step back but I'm not expecting it to have that bad an effect on the offense as a whole. A healthy Dez will be productive and they still do have the best line in football. 

I feel really bad for Romo. I know he gets a lot of hate because he's on the Cowgirls but he does come off as a nice guy. It sucks his career has taken these turns the past few years.
he's a multi-millionaire who's porked higher quality chicks than you'll ever get a crack at in your life.

And you feel "really" bad for him?

I'd trade shoes with him in a heartbeat.

I think the difference, honestly, is because last year everyone knew the Cowboys were a bonfire and they knew they could pretty much ignore DMAC because the Cowboys simply had absolutely no talent that could actually beat a team. So a guy like DMAC can do something.  But Elliot IS a rookie...and he IS a high target in people's eyes.  I just think teams will look at Elliot and think "we aren't going to let this guy get going on us" and that is going to wear on him. Lot of punishment, use in ways that until today the Cowboys weren't planning on. in some ways, everything Elliot knows about his role on the team is now out the window. His team and coaches just went from planning ways to use Elliot to exploit teams to now having to have him as a focal point.  

I can see the other side of the thought but I will be very surprised if we see Elliot and the Cowboys consistently roll out the first 5-6 games or more on a successful and steady diet of Elliot just making plays and helping the Cowboys win games.  You just have to know that teams are going to look around and say "keep that guy in check, pressure the rookie QB (which in many case will force elliot to stay in to protect) and nobody else scares us".  

The cowboys are in trouble.  If the Steeler lose Big Ben tomorrow, its the same thing.  Just too hard not to impact everyone. 

Did the Cowboys sleep with your wife?

he's a multi-millionaire who's porked higher quality chicks than you'll ever get a crack at in your life.

And you feel "really" bad for him?

I'd trade shoes with him in a heartbeat.
So I should be what? Jealous, envious? Talk like a frat boy? The ####ty thing about watching athletes is you watch them fail on a grandiose scale that most never have to experience. It's why he makes the money he does. Would I trade places with him? Sure, but I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to take pity on a dude that just had his back broken.

Jerry Jones didn't want Foles for free.  I won't be surprised if he trades for Josh McCown even if he is backing up Dak. 

McCown to Dallas makes sense, and yes, as the backup, Prescott has a better fix on the offense right now, so he would start.

Elliot will probably be fine, I'd feel a lot better about it with romos throwing the ball though. The volume could actually go down if they are going three and out a lot more. I see no way this helps anyone.

Not a cowboy fan AT ALL, but I actually feel bad for Romo. He has replaced Fragile Fred as the most brittle player in FF recent history. 

Users who are viewing this thread