What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pure Squistion Entertainment (formerly the Colin Kaepernick thread) (1 Viewer)

Kaep Sitting for Anthem

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody is angry on the Internet.

You see to be misinterpreting my stance on this (shocking!). I literally do not care at all what he or any other athlete does. I'm just here for the stupid takes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he had said he sat because he didn't like the national anthem before sporting events then he would have my support.

But oppression?  C'mon, Colin.

I have no problem with athletes (or anyone) who don't believe in joining the mass ritual of standing for the national anthem.

He's not too bright. Maybe he should stop voting for Democrats they run the worst cities in the usa for the last 50 yrs.

That you have terrible opinions 
It's pretty cut/dry that you're suggesting racism with the "master" comment. It's an anonymous message board, at least own it, no? You did say it. Or continue with insults, either/or. IDGAF

He's not too bright. Maybe he should stop voting for Democrats they run the worst cities in the usa for the last 50 yrs.
The worst cities are usually the poorest - what have Republican mayors done to turn poor cities around?

I'm just happy to be mentioned in the same tier of posters as Cappy and BD.

Seriously though, not a great course of action by Kaep if he wants to protest racial injustice. He could be much more effective and piss off way fewer people if he chose to do something different - but I digress. I really don't care what he does. The ???HOT TAKES??? have been golden, which is the main reason I started paying attention to this circus.

Nationalism is stupid. Period. American or otherwise. George Carlin has a fantastic take on it IMO:

https://youtu.be/iOmQP9guIl0

"Red, White And Brainwashed"

They use the flag to control us
Brainwash us to be their patrotic slaves
Programs our minds by controlling what we learn
The only difference from the nazis is that
Someone tried to stop them
RED WHITE AND BRAINWASHED
The government says they're working for us
Just as long as we increase their pay
But the minute they get into office we're a has-been
A yesterday
The red stands for the blood of all the people
We've slain
The white for this racist, bigoted foundation
The blue for your arayan eyes -- all empty
Empty because you're taught to bow down to the man
"Fly that flag, that flag of freedom"
"Do what you can for your country"
Go and fight their wars for them
"They're not following in our footsteps,
KILL THEM!"
They call that being a patriot
I just call it ignorant
If you don't fight to make things better
Then you're the one betraying the country

Nationalism is stupid. Period. American or otherwise. George Carlin has a fantastic take on it IMO:

https://youtu.be/iOmQP9guIl0
I'm still curious what you think about the tweet in the OP? Asked a few times now...

If I was given even money, I'd wager every penny I have that 3/4 (absolute minimum) of the community that risks their lives for our freedoms would be extremely offended by this. 

I stand for those people, not for a flag.

I don't give a fig what Kaepernick did. 

However, I do want to push back, as I have before, and point out that not every quick reaction is a "hot take" (a term that's close to ready for retirement IMO).  Not every situation requires days of careful musing before expressing an opinion.  Seems like a "hot take" is any opinion the "hot take" label user feels is stupid.  

He's a well known idiot. Has been for years. He's a crappy qb on a crappy team. You claim to be pretty smart. If that's true you really shouldn't give a damn about this story one way or another. 
I hate him, I've hated him, I've documented my disdain for this guy for years here. This just adds to my fire. He's just such a gigantic piece of garbage in every possible aspect, yet I read columns in the NY Daily News about the great stand this guy is taking, it's angering.

He just finds a new way to continually top it. Maybe he's the greatest troll on Earth? IDK, but #### him! 

I'm still curious what you think about the tweet in the OP? Asked a few times now...

If I was given even money, I'd wager every penny I have that 3/4 (absolute minimum) of the community that risks their lives for our freedoms would be extremely offended by this. 

Don't really have an opinion on it tbh. I agree they'd be offended, but that's because they buy into that particular thought process of nationalism. Being a member of the armed forces isn't really gonna work out for you unless you completely buy into what your superior is telling you. Nobody stands for a flag either. Anybody who is bothering to stand for an anthem is standing for the values and history behind that flag.

I hope it starts a trend that ends with abandoning the playing of the anthem before sporting events.

Don't really have an opinion on it tbh. I agree they'd be offended, but that's because they buy into that particular thought process of nationalism. Being a member of the armed forces isn't really gonna work out for you unless you completely buy into what your superior is telling you. Nobody stands for a flag either. Anybody who is bothering to stand for an anthem is standing for the values and history behind that flag.
Those people that buy into it do so with their lives, that they risk.... For us.

So whether you buy into it or not, others are doing so, and you have the freedom of that opinion bc of them and those that came before them.

I hate him, I've hated him, I've documented my disdain for this guy for years here. This just adds to my fire. He's just such a gigantic piece of garbage in every possible aspect, yet I read columns in the NY Daily News about the great stand this guy is taking, it's angering.

He just finds a new way to continually top it. Maybe he's the greatest troll on Earth? IDK, but #### him! 
He's the Trump of football players.

That tweet sucks balls.  I respect the fact that that guy served his country and suffered for it but that doesn't mean his opinion is any more valid than Kap's.

Those people that buy into it do so with their lives, that they risk.... For us.

So whether you buy into it or not, others are doing so, and you have the freedom of that opinion bc of them and those that came before them.
That's fine. But did you ever think how nationalism only serves to further divide us as humans? And granted, it's far too late in the human timeline to change the way we intrinsically think, so I suppose we're stuck with what we have. But do you disagree that nationalism divides? Within a singular country I can agree it can be a unifying idea, but moving outside your borders, it creates comparisons, unhealthy competitions, and a sense of superiority, or in other cases inferiority, which can further breed disdain and hatred.

This seems like a good thing to spend a fair amount of time agonizing over. I will block off a couple hours on my calendar tomorrow to be agitated. Then I will likely take a nap.

That's fine. But did you ever think how nationalism only serves to further divide us as humans? And granted, it's far too late in the human timeline to change the way we intrinsically think, so I suppose we're stuck with what we have. But do you disagree that nationalism divides? Within a singular country I can agree it can be a unifying idea, but moving outside your borders, it creates comparisons, unhealthy competitions, and a sense of superiority, or in other cases inferiority, which can further breed disdain and hatred.
Asks ShamrockPride. :mellow:

According to some posters like Capella, Bruce Dicksinson, Bud 29, this is good stuff... I'm sure I can predict others who are all about it too. I'd guess Squistion/UrbanHack/TobiasFunke and some other likeminded individuals would agree.

Most of them prob don't know he has been invisible amongst charities/communities/or anything else up until about 12 months ago. They'll also shrug off reports for years about locker room tension between him and his teammates. 

All that matters to people like this is he sat for the National Anthem, and anyone who speaks out against it, is either a racist or spitting a hot take. 
I am use to people mischaracterizing what I say in this forum and arguing against that, but this is the first time a Straw Man argument has been used against me before I actually said anything.

According to the OP, I am being held accountable for what he thinks is my opinion in some parallel universe, where apparently I agree that what Kaep did "is good stuff" and where I am also accusing people of racism who disagree with me.

Sorry, but I am not going to respond to your fantasy world scenario.

Asks ShamrockPride. :mellow:
We really need a how'd you get your name thread. We must have one of those right? I've heard this like 10 times now about my name.....I'm a Celtics fan. I'm Italian. Beyond that, I did laugh.

He's just a guy standing up...re sitting down for what he believes in.  Agree air disagree, this already has been and will continue to be completely blown out of proportion.  America strives for higher ideals, but, in some instances, some people are more equal than others.

regarding patriotism and nationalism, I read about a study a few years back that compared patriotism and nationalism in the US v other countries, and they concluded that US patriotism less tied to geography and tribalism and more ingrained in the values and ideals that the U.S. proclaims.  

Usain Bolt has total class.   Kaepernick is s total ###.  It is about showing respect.  His actions is like taking a crap on America.  

I get this is a common thing that liberals like to talk about a lot but it's just as silly and you say "nationalism"  is.   Crazy to think the day has come where the people who have done nothing for our country not only don't appreciate what has been done by those who have come before them but feel a form of patriotism for their country is dumb and divides the country.   The cynicism that people have these days is so sad.  I simply cannot understand this irrational thought process.

A persons controversial and public stance on any issue always seems to mean less when they just got beat out of a starting job by Blaine Gabbert.

I guess when your black biological father abandons your pregnant 19yo mother and a white family adopts you a few days after birth, it's only logical that you need to make a stand against how black people are oppressed. 

I guess when your black biological father abandons your pregnant 19yo mother and a white family adopts you a few days after birth, it's only logical that you need to make a stand against how black people are oppressed. 
I thought this was what his background was, but figured i must have mixed him up with somebody else. 

I'm just happy I live in a free country that allows me to do what I want (within the law) even if it's not popular with the masses. 

I would bet a high majority of people making a huge deal out of this only care because they think it scores some political points for their team. 

They also love to make huge deals out of flag pins, the type of dress our First Lady wears, etc. for the same reason. 

The worst thing about this whole story is the selection of hateful tweets Kap got.  Reallys shows how little tolerance people have for others and how much underlying racism still exists in this country.

As for standing during the national anthem, I get that it's our right to do or not do; however, I don't think a healthy dose of pride in your country is bad in any way.  The US has a long history of men and women making extreme sacrifices so we are free to rabble about like we do.  The US has a lot of flaws but it's our country and we should all be proud of her and stand by her.

Clearly the first option in the poll is the best.  ######## can be any word you choose.

I know with the "an" preceding it it should be a word starting with a vowel sound, but

this is an internet message board, anything goes.

I don't particularly care what Kaepernick does or doesn't do during the national anthem.  Personally, I stand and take off my hat, but that's just because I'm basically a conformist.  If we got rid of this little ritual, that would be fine with me too, and it doesn't bother me if others choose not to participate.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread