What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the best 3rd WR in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Out of all 32 NFL teams, which "real life" WR3 will end up being the most valuable WR for FFB? 

Dorsett seems like a good candidate, but it also seems like a total crapshoot.  Probably has to come from a team that employs a base 3 WR set, which limits the candidates. 

Interested to see what folks think...

Tyler Lockett by a mile.

Coach speak about him being #2 notwithstanding, he's clearly been the #3 WR this preseason, as he was all of last year.

Although old and dangerous behind the wheel....I am excited to have Anquan Boldin on the Lion's. Probably not the best but he will be a huge asset to Detroit this year.

Brown & Floyd both being named is interesting - who's the WR3?  I though it was Browm.

Lockett - I hope so, I drafted him. 

Bolton is an interesting suggestion - hadn't thought of him. Could be a PPR asset for sure. Probably not going to put up the #s that some of the others listed will. 

Greetings everyone, let's see if an old man can help as this thread clicked right away. Some of my frustration when I am reading over receivers is what role they play. For example, Jarvis Landry plays the slot a lot but he is not the No. 3 WR in Miami obviously. By definition you are talking about the guy who will get the 3rd most targets at WR. or you are talking about a WR3 who shows up in 3 wide sets but is not on the field in 2 WR sets. Those guys are a little different and also won't get as many targets unless there is an injury. 

Indy believe it or not is a 2 WR set. So for The WR3 to get action there, either they are playing from behind and running 3 and 4 wide sets or there is a significant injury and Dorset is thrust into the No 2 role sort of speak. 

I'm relaying this not because I think you didn't know all that but I find the depth charts at Our Lads to be pretty solid. They do a good job of updating who is lining up at what position. I linked to Miami and you can see they are running 3 wide sets all the time. I would say the No 3 in Miami has a better chance of producing than say a No 3 on a team where they don't run 3 wide on 1st and 2nd down much, something to keep in mind. 

Excellent thread and I like John Brown a lot. 

Maybe Devantae Parker.
Good name. I have not been highlighting him much bt he will be on the field a lot if he can stay healthy. 

The targets or distribution early in games 2 and 3 of the preseason show a lot more targets going to Parker and Stills when THill is in the game and during early drives...it would seem to indicate the pecking order right now is...

1-Landry(slot)

2-Stills (Wide Right) important because THill is right handed and rolls to his right a lot, Stills seems to be on that side of the field right now.They have connected on a lot of balls including a couple long ones. 

3-Parker (Wide Left) 

4-Caroo (Wide Left) plays behind Parker which tells me that Stills is entrenched as the No 2 this season. 

Agree Lockett's a long shot due to lack of volume. TDs could keep him in the conversation. 

PPR vs non-PPR would seem to be relevant.

I think its Anquan Boldin, Detroit will be throwing, a lot. and their running game is terrible. Their base O will be three wide a lot with the injuries at TE to Ebron and Pettigrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent seen data for 2015 on this but the trend is clearly increased use of 3 WR across the NFL.

SNAPS WITH 3+ WRS ON FIELD

YEAR

% OF SNAPS

49%

51%

56%

59%
LINK

As far as who are the best WR 3 is a good question with a lot of different answers open to debate about who is the WR 3 or not.

Here is Mike Clays stab at it. 

Seattle has Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse listed as the 1 and 2. Kearse to my knowledge re-signed as I was hoping to see him land in a more pass happy environment and when he stayed in Seattle I thought "There's a guy who values loyalty and team more than personal stats or gains" and that fits right into the Seattle philosophy IMO. 

I like Lockett a lot but don't see him getting enough targets to really justify more than a bye week filler. I'm not rooting against him, wish him and those who are high on him the best but I see the 1 and 2 firmly entrenched right now and have been the guys since Wilson took over so they have a lot of timing down just by default over the last 3+ years. 

Seattle has a very suspect OL right now and we'll see how they perform but pass protection and trying to hold so Wilson can throw down field might be a challenge early on. 

Looking at the WR depth chart on

Greetings everyone, let's see if an old man can help as this thread clicked right away. Some of my frustration when I am reading over receivers is what role they play. For example, Jarvis Landry plays the slot a lot but he is not the No. 3 WR in Miami obviously. By definition you are talking about the guy who will get the 3rd most targets at WR. or you are talking about a WR3 who shows up in 3 wide sets but is not on the field in 2 WR sets. Those guys are a little different and also won't get as many targets unless there is an injury. 

Indy believe it or not is a 2 WR set. So for The WR3 to get action there, either they are playing from behind and running 3 and 4 wide sets or there is a significant injury and Dorset is thrust into the No 2 role sort of speak. 

I'm relaying this not because I think you didn't know all that but I find the depth charts at Our Lads to be pretty solid. They do a good job of updating who is lining up at what position. I linked to Miami and you can see they are running 3 wide sets all the time. I would say the No 3 in Miami has a better chance of producing than say a No 3 on a team where they don't run 3 wide on 1st and 2nd down much, something to keep in mind. 

Excellent thread and I like John Brown a lot. 
Looking at the WR depth chart for Philly.  Good grief....

I'd look at pass happy offenses, Cardinals (Brown), Packers (Adams or Abberderis), Redskins (Crowder), Colts (Dorsett). I think Lockett is the #2 in Seattle so not including him. 

Tyler Lockett by a mile.

Coach speak about him being #2 notwithstanding, he's clearly been the #3 WR this preseason, as he was all of last year.

Seattle has Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse listed as the 1 and 2. Kearse to my knowledge re-signed as I was hoping to see him land in a more pass happy environment and when he stayed in Seattle I thought "There's a guy who values loyalty and team more than personal stats or gains" and that fits right into the Seattle philosophy IMO. 

I like Lockett a lot but don't see him getting enough targets to really justify more than a bye week filler. I'm not rooting against him, wish him and those who are high on him the best but I see the 1 and 2 firmly entrenched right now and have been the guys since Wilson took over so they have a lot of timing down just by default over the last 3+ years. 

Seattle has a very suspect OL right now and we'll see how they perform but pass protection and trying to hold so Wilson can throw down field might be a challenge early on. 
that's interesting.  I doubt Kearse is the #2 targeted receiver in Seattle this year but I guess Lockett fits the question for now.   

Not anymore.
The target distribution early in these preseason games clearly show Hilton and Moncrief, I usually don't see Dorset until later in the 2nd Q perhaps. To me it just emphasizes that he is a distant 3rd in targets and perhaps 4th behind the TE. Just my opinion based on observations. I'm a Miami Alum and fan of Dorset but the truth is he dropped a lot of balls here, if that's changed awesome. 

My gut says the Colts do not fully trust him even if he is wide open at the moment. 

The target distribution early in these preseason games clearly show Hilton and Moncrief, I usually don't see Dorset until later in the 2nd Q perhaps. To me it just emphasizes that he is a distant 3rd in targets and perhaps 4th behind the TE. Just my opinion based on observations. I'm a Miami Alum and fan of Dorset but the truth is he dropped a lot of balls here, if that's changed awesome. 

My gut says the Colts do not fully trust him even if he is wide open at the moment. 
The Colts are now primarily a 3 WR base.

In yesterday's week 3(regular season warm-up) game, Dorsett was on the field with the one's the vast majority of the time, starting with the very first snap.

What you said about them being a 2 WR base offense was true, last year.

This season, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett will be on the field together more often than not.

The Colts are now primarily a 3 WR base.

In yesterday's week 3(preseason warm-up) game, Dorsett was on the field with the one's the vast majority of the time, starting with the very first snap.

What you said about them being a 2 WR base offense was true, last year.

This season, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett will be on the field together more often than not.
OK, good to know for sure. That makes Dorset more valuable, I'm sure he will have a few big plays but I think his hands are a little suspect. 

He caught all of 18 passes on 39 targets last season. I'm cautious with him, maybe you are a little more optimistic but in regards to this thread he certainly meets the criteria and playing on a team likely to throw a lot, I can see what you all see, I'm not blind. 

MOP the writing was on the wall that the Colts would be shifting to more 3 WR sets over 2 TE as soon as they drafted him. When they let Fleener walk in free agency, that basically cemented the change.

Week 3 preseason

Moncrief 47 snaps (70%) 8 targets 6 receptions (75%) 58 yards 
Dorsett 36 snaps (54%) 5 targets 3 receptions (60%) 49 yards
Hilton 31 snaps (46%) 5 targets 3 receptions (60%) 38 yards

Their 2 TE had 21 snaps each, less than the 3 WR.

Week 2 the starters did not play as long and Hilton did not play. Moncrief had 27 snaps and Dorsett had 25 all with the first team I believe.. Dorset had 3 targets 3 receptions 37 yards.

Week 1 Dorsett 12 snaps (Same as Moncrief) 4 targets 2 receptions 8 yards. 

Over the first 3 games Dorsett has 73 snaps 12 targets 8 receptions (67%) 94 yards .16 targets/snap 7.8 YPT 

He hasn't really broken a deep one yet which is certainly in his wheel house. They have been getting him the ball on easy high percentage plays, which isn't a way he was used very often in college.

OK, good to know for sure. That makes Dorset more valuable, I'm sure he will have a few big plays but I think his hands are a little suspect. 

He caught all of 18 passes on 39 targets last season. I'm cautious with him, maybe you are a little more optimistic but in regards to this thread he certainly meets the criteria and playing on a team likely to throw a lot, I can see what you all see, I'm not blind. 
Yes, the Colts will primarily be in a 3 WR set this year.  The 2 TE set days are over.....for this year at least.

This is why it's good to come to the SP, I was under the impression it was still going to be a 2 TE set, ty all very much.  

Question: Any chance once the Colts see they need an extra blocker to stay in to try and hit Hilton deep more consistently, how long before the 2 TE formation re-appears? 

This is why it's good to come to the SP, I was under the impression it was still going to be a 2 TE set, ty all very much.  

Question: Any chance once the Colts see they need an extra blocker to stay in to try and hit Hilton deep more consistently, how long before the 2 TE formation re-appears? 
Jack Doyle isn't good enough and Erik Swoope is too raw for the Colts to play 2 TE sets anytime soon.  Allen is a good blocker and IMO will still block more than some seem to think.  The Colts just dodged a bullet when it was just reported that Jack Mewhort (their best offensive lineman) did not tear his ACL and will miss the next 4 weeks and should be ready by week 2 or 3.  The Colts will be throwing a lot to all 3 of those WRs this year and I'm predicting a 1000 yards for all three, or close to it, barring injury of course.

He's been out snapped in the preaseason by Kearse. 
Let me know when preseason snaps become meaningful. Plenty of players  outsnap players higher on their teams' depth charts in preseason.

ETA: Kearse may play more snaps than Lockett because he is a better run blocker than Lockett. What matters fantasy-wise is who is running more routes and who is getting targeted.

Let me know when preseason snaps become meaningful.

ETA: My guess is that one reason Kearse may play more snaps is he is a better run blocker than Lockett. What matters is who is running more routes and who is getting targeted.
Last year, Lockett had 2 more receptions than Kearse - 51 to 49. My guess is that he's better at getting open. 

SoBeDad said:
Last year, Lockett had 2 more receptions than Kearse - 51 to 49. My guess is that he's better at getting open. 
Right. Even though Kearse played 115 more snaps, Lockett had more receptions. Lockett's snaps and receiving numbers picked up considerably as the season went on. Carroll has already stated that he is a starter. It is pretty straightforward.

Biabreakable said:
I havent seen data for 2015 on this but the trend is clearly increased use of 3 WR across the NFL.

LINK

As far as who are the best WR 3 is a good question with a lot of different answers open to debate about who is the WR 3 or not.

Here is Mike Clays stab at it. 
Clay has Rueben Randle #17... that's a tough pill to swallow  :shrug:

Clay has Rueben Randle #17... that's a tough pill to swallow  :shrug:
Yeah. That was about a month ago though. Before the DGB trade.Several things there that maybe would be different based on new information since then. It was a nice long list though so thought it was worth linking.

I have wondered a few times if Randle was worth considering just because of a lack of other options. I have not yet drafted him though.

grateful zed said:
have you all forgotten about victor cruz? :(
No, man.  His salsa dancing was freaking awesome!!!

What ever happened to that guy?

Ickey Woods had a cool TD dance back in the day, too.

Yeah. That was about a month ago though. Before the DGB trade.Several things there that maybe would be different based on new information since then. It was a nice long list though so thought it was worth linking.

I have wondered a few times if Randle was worth considering just because of a lack of other options. I have not yet drafted him though.
Randle will have Kaepernick throwing the ball to him on lunch breaks in the McDonald's parking lot next week.

I do believe Randle was paid a significant amount of money to sign with the Eagles.

If his passion in life is working at McD's more power to him. I don't think he needs the money.

Just Win Baby said:
Let me know when preseason snaps become meaningful. Plenty of players  outsnap players higher on their teams' depth charts in preseason.

ETA: Kearse may play more snaps than Lockett because he is a better run blocker than Lockett. What matters fantasy-wise is who is running more routes and who is getting targeted.
In the dress  rehearsal… Well, that's been for about forever. 

Users who are viewing this thread