What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When to hold a Rookie Draft? (1 Viewer)

If you could, would you change the timing of your draft?

• No

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

DropKick

Footballguy
We always draft just before the season but other dynasty/deep keeper leagues draft soon after the NFL Draft.  Some even like to draft before then...

Although Zeke is entrenched at the 1.01, people's draft boards probably look a lot different today than they did in April.  The receivers have been quiet.  Early picks might even be RB heavy.  Highly drafted QBs may have been usurped by a dark horse.  Injuries can boost someone up the board or let someone slip a round or two.   For better or worse, we now have preseason built perceptions of players and teams.

Every year I hope my "sleepers" stay quiet during the preseason.  A couple guys I had targeted as late round picks, won't be available now.  It's might be an illusion but we seem to know more today.  So, draft early or draft late?  Does it even matter?

I prefer drafting soon after the NFL draft. I think this mirrors a similar experience that NFL teams go through in their player evaluations. You have to make choices about the players before you find out how well they are doing in training camp and the preseason, which are things that the NFL teams do not know yet at the time they draft the players.

I wouldn't want to draft them prior to the NFL draft because there are good players the NFL never takes any interest in. I want to know at least what team drafts the player and it is very useful to know how high they draft a player as well. I think that is a lot of information to work with and puts a fantasy owner in a position to make a reasonable enough decision.

Drafting shortly after the NFL draft gives your league something to do during the offseason. Getting ready for the NFL draft and your rookie draft which will shortly follow it. If you wait until almost the start of the season then you have more dead time in your league. The rookie draft becomes disconnected with the actual draft event somewhat then.

We do our rookie/veteran free agent dynasty draft in two stages.

The first part of the draft takes place after the first preseason game and goes for two rounds.

That way the draft and training camp and first preseason game are in the books so there is lots of information to digest to make informed selections for the first two rounds.

The second part of the draft takes place after the 3rd preseason games are in the books so you can adjust picks for the final two rounds based on the 2nd  and 3rd preseason games and note injuries and how positional battles have gone and note snap counts, etc.

Then, our waiver wire doesn't open up until the first week of the NFL season to allow another week or so to digest any late developments.

By breaking a rookie/veteran FA draft up into two distinct stages it allows time to digest developments and increases interest and allows the teams who are picking at the top of the draft to have an advantage over teams picking later which helps to balance out talent for owners who do the homework.  

We adjusted over a few years and everyone in our league likes having the draft in two stages.  I highly recommend breaking up a dynasty rookie/FA draft in a similar way.

My league drafts usually about mid-June. Before preseason and we know the exact situation of every player, but after the draft enough where you still need to do your own research about depth charts and opportunities and it's not a total crapshoot like before the draft.

Earlier the better. My league does very soon after nfl draft.  I prefer it when people haven't had months of "experts" telling them how and who to draft. 

We do our rookie/veteran free agent dynasty draft in two stages.

The first part of the draft takes place after the first preseason game and goes for two rounds.

That way the draft and training camp and first preseason game are in the books so there is lots of information to digest to make informed selections for the first two rounds.

The second part of the draft takes place after the 3rd preseason games are in the books so you can adjust picks for the final two rounds based on the 2nd  and 3rd preseason games and note injuries and how positional battles have gone and note snap counts, etc.

Then, our waiver wire doesn't open up until the first week of the NFL season to allow another week or so to digest any late developments.

By breaking a rookie/veteran FA draft up into two distinct stages it allows time to digest developments and increases interest and allows the teams who are picking at the top of the draft to have an advantage over teams picking later which helps to balance out talent for owners who do the homework.  

We adjusted over a few years and everyone in our league likes having the draft in two stages.  I highly recommend breaking up a dynasty rookie/FA draft in a similar way.
Two phases is interesting and probably rare.  Definitely gives the teams drafting high two chances to land a quality player.

For the record, I'd prefer to draft early.  It's something that would be difficult to change in my league.

Two phases is interesting and probably rare.  Definitely gives the teams drafting high two chances to land a quality player.
Yes, that is the point.  

Teams picking high typically have poor rosters and need the most help.  By breaking up the draft in two stages it gives them ample opportunity to do the homework so they can improve their teams and makes the teams selecting later work harder to help balance out the talent in the league.

We do our rookie/veteran free agent dynasty draft in two stages also. The first two rounds are in May and the second two rounds are in late August. I'd rather have round 3 picks instead of round 2 picks because of this format. It's great to make selections after seeing the rookies perform in the NFL.

I prefer early drafts.  Right after the NFL draft.  Keeps interest in a slow time of year for traditional FF and provides an advantage to players who spend more time researching.

We do it mid to late July. Just early enough where you get to hear a little bit of buzz during OTA's. There will still be surprises. It's always nice when you read one little blurb on a guy looking great and you take a shot with a late pick. Then they end up tearing it up in training camp and pre-season. :pickle:  

Dynasty draft starts the first Saturday in August.  Is an ongoing draft with an 8-hour time limit.  It is only six rounds, so it doesn't take long, but it is interesting to see information develop and change the draft while it is ongoing.

That said, I do find the 8-hour limit a bit antiquated and would change it if I could.  Don't mind the early August draft tho, as it encourages player and draft pick trading.

Users who are viewing this thread