What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ILB/OLB Deep Sleepers (1 Viewer)

-X-

Footballguy
Bring 'em.

Jonathan Freeny (4-3 WLB - NE) worth adding?

Zach Orr (3-4 ILB - BAL) or will Correa overtake him?

I heard Correa has been getting work lately on the outside and that Orr was locked in as a starter inside. 

Still keeping an an eye on Justin March at ILB in KC. Word is out he has looked very good, but I didn't see any stats for him from PS week 3. ETA - Just saw March tore his meniscus is is out 3-6 weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring 'em.

Jonathan Freeny (4-3 WLB - NE) worth adding?

Zach Orr (3-4 ILB - BAL) or will Correa overtake him?
Zach Orr seems to have inside track on a 3 down role next to Mosley. He's a pretty darn good add and isn't in the same ballpark, IMO, as guys like Freeny.  

I heard Correa has been getting work lately on the outside and that Orr was locked in as a starter inside. 

Still keeping an an eye on Justin March at ILB in KC. Word is out he has looked very good, but I didn't see any stats for him from PS week 3. ETA - Just saw March tore his meniscus is is out 3-6 weeks. 
Picked up March a few days ago, thanks to recommendations here.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Going to see if I can sneak Freeny through anyway.  Todd Davis already being bid on.

Fer feck's sake.

Do you think Mike Hull from Miami is worth a stash? He seemed to have a good preseason.

I am very happy to say I believe I am wrong and that injury was a year ago. 

Any ideas why he was invisible in PS wk3?
He only got 11 snaps, and then it was Ramik Wilson for most of the game. News broke today that 2015 starter Josh Mauga is out for the year, so the opportunity is certainly there for March.

So are we certain on March? I currently own Wilson but don't want to make the move to March till its certain. Nothing new that I have seen. Also any news on Blake Martinez and the starting role in GB?

So are we certain on March? I currently own Wilson but don't want to make the move to March till its certain. Nothing new that I have seen. Also any news on Blake Martinez and the starting role in GB?
Wilson starting tonight. That makes March look good for the 1st team spot

Wilson starting tonight. That makes March look good for the 1st team spot

Hmmm

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article98832467.html   Mauga, who suffered the injury early in training camp, has been replaced in the starting lineup by second-year pro Justin March, who is backed up by fellow second-year pro Ramik Wilson.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Callahan-solid-again-as-Packers-fall-to-Chiefs-392105451.html
Chiefs: LBs Ramik Wilson and Justin March are competing for Kansas City's inside linebacker spot alongside Derrick Johnson following a season-ending injury to Josh Mauga. Wilson had a nice tackle for loss early in the game and appeared to have the inside track.

Ray-Ray Armstrong... Not sure still if he beat out Wilhoite but I'm trying to hold him through week 1. I'd rather have him now then try to fight for him after week 1.

Hmmm

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article98832467.html   Mauga, who suffered the injury early in training camp, has been replaced in the starting lineup by second-year pro Justin March, who is backed up by fellow second-year pro Ramik Wilson.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Callahan-solid-again-as-Packers-fall-to-Chiefs-392105451.html
Chiefs: LBs Ramik Wilson and Justin March are competing for Kansas City's inside linebacker spot alongside Derrick Johnson following a season-ending injury to Josh Mauga. Wilson had a nice tackle for loss early in the game and appeared to have the inside track.

Kansas City Chiefs inside linebacker Justin March did not play against the Green Bay Packers in the fourth preseason game, a strong indication that he has won the starting job over Ramik Wilson.

Fantasy Impact
March will start opposite Derrick Johnson in the regular season with Josh Mauga on IR. He is unlikely to have a three-down role, but could still prove to be a nice depth player in most IDP leagues. He is worth scooping up if he is still available in your league.
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/86454/justin-march-does-not-play-4th-preseason-game-indicates-starter-status.php

The Packers finally had the top of their inside linebacker depth chart available together Thursday night. It likely did little to reveal what their rotation will be in their Sept. 11 regular-season opener in Jacksonville. Jake Ryan and Sam Barrington were coupled frequently in nickel, with Blake Martinez also rotating. Martinez handled snaps as the lone inside linebacker in dime. Ryan, who hadn’t played in the preseason, showed plenty of rust but also potential as a thumper against the run. When the regular-season begins, one has to think Martinez will get the bulk of nickel snaps alongside either Ryan or Barrington.

With Jelani Jenkins out a few weeks, Neville Hewitt might be in line for the start at WLB. Jelani isn't exactly the picture of health in his career either.

Nate Irving.

Gerald Hodges.

Zach Brown.

Nigel Bradham.

Jasper Brinkley.
I'm not seeing much upside in that bunch unless you have heard or seen different.

1st three are 2 down 3-4 ILBs, Bradham is a SLB with 2 better LBs on his team and Brinkley is a 2 down  MLB who might keep his job

what am I missing?

Here's a real deep cut:  Cory James, Raiders.

6th round pick, played all over the D in college. Really good athlete.

I figured he'd just be a ST guy, but looked really fast late in early preseason games, and got work with the ones in game 3.

Malcolm Smith is a decent player, but replaceable. Basically, he's OK if he's your worst LB, you know?

Might be worth tracking snap counts early in the year, if James starts getting nickel snaps here and there, might be time to pick him up, or trade Smith away while he still has value.

I'm not seeing much upside in that bunch unless you have heard or seen different.

1st three are 2 down 3-4 ILBs, Bradham is a SLB with 2 better LBs on his team and Brinkley is a 2 down  MLB who might keep his job

what am I missing?
It's certainly possible that Hodges, Brown, and Bradham all play 3 downs.

Ray ray takes job outright or platoon with hodges.  If brandon spikes makes team he surely is taking some run down snaps from zach brown.  The quote from Rex saying zach needs to be dirtier in run defense and subsequent signing of spikes (who for his faults, is like the best and most "dirty" run defender around) is pretty easy to digest. Bradham may get some nickel snaps but he's just not that great. 

Ray Ray sucks. 49ers will figure that out soon enough.

Wilhoite and Hodges are both actual linebackers. Ray Ray is a ST demon who teases, then gets a personal foul in the 4th.

Barrington was cut yesterday by Green Bay, so starting ILBs should be Ryan and Martinez. 

Barrington was picked up today by KC and the Chiefs dropped Ramik Wilson to make room for him. 

Barrington was cut yesterday by Green Bay, so starting ILBs should be Ryan and Martinez. 

Barrington was picked up today by KC and the Chiefs dropped Ramik Wilson to make room for him. 
it makes me worry about March. It's one thing to get ahead on Wilson but Barrington is a vet.

it makes me worry about March. It's one thing to get ahead on Wilson but Barrington is a vet.
I dunno. This *might* shorten March's leash a bit, but I wouldn't be too worried. One of March's biggest issues is that he's somewhat undersized for the SILB spot (6'0" 238) causing him to occasionally have trouble shedding linemen. I haven't watched much of Barrington's tape, but he's not much bigger than March at 6'1" 236. Also, what I've read indicates that Barrington is more of a two-down thumper, while one of March's best traits is his coverage skills. Coverage deficiency isn't a huge issue at SILB, but Bob Sutton might feel like he can scheme a bit more freely with March on the field. This coaching staff loves versatility.

I guess anything is possible and the are "deep" sleepers......
It depends on your league. I am not arguing the guys above are the next Lavonte David. But if you are in, say, a 12 team league starting 4 LBs, then you're interested not just in the 3 down guys but any starting LBs who are going to put up solid tackle numbers.

Promoted March from my taxi squad to the active roster before other owners put bids in on him.  I drafted Hodges as a rookie but gave up on him last year; perennial backup.  Not sold on Armstrong.  Irving and Brinkley both cut.  Z. Brown and Bradham not available and just missed out on Z. Orr.

Bump it up if you hear of any further developments, guys, thanks.

Promoted March from my taxi squad to the active roster before other owners put bids in on him.  I drafted Hodges as a rookie but gave up on him last year; perennial backup.  Not sold on Armstrong.  Irving and Brinkley both cut.  Z. Brown and Bradham not available and just missed out on Z. Orr.

Bump it up if you hear of any further developments, guys, thanks.
Obviously Kevin Sheppard is the guy on the Giants. 

The Colts' Sio Moore and Antonio Morrison both have potential. Moore will probably be the ILB once he recovers from his hamstring while Morrison has long-term upside.

Users who are viewing this thread