What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleeper Alert: Rob Kelley - RB - WAS (1 Viewer)

I just watched his highlight reel.  Looks a little more agile than i would expect for an undrafted big man.  A lot of wasted movement, that is going to be something they coach a ton.  Caught a couple balls and looked ok doing it.  Seems decent actually - not a guy i am excited about but could be ok considering all the other weapons on offense.  

So you think there is a 10% chance that he overtakes Matt Jones as the starting RB? Seems overzealous. He's a MJ handcuff and bottom of roster guy in 14+ teamers. 
Overzealous? I think it may be overzealous to think that the worst starting RB in the league has a 90% chance of holding on to his job.  If people thought Jones had a 90% chance of still being the starter in week 16 his ADP would be a lot higher than it is.  Part of his ADP being lowish is the legitimate concern people have that he will be a bench player by midseason.  And I say this as a Jones owner that doesn't have Kelly (dynasty, haven't done my drafts yet in redraft).

Last edited by a moderator:
:wall:

I don't think anyone in this thread is recommending starting him in week 1.  The point in owning a RB that has an opportunity in week 1 is that if he plays well maybe he parlays that into a week 2 start, and so on.  That shouldn't have to be explained.  But even if it did need to be explained, it already was.  This whole "if you're relying on him week 1 you're a terrible drafter" nonsense is like a Donald Trump argument.  You keep repeating it because you think you're making an awesome point that everyone has skipped over.  But the reality is that it's just so irrelevant and absurd that no one has bothered retorting it much and repeating it over and over again only makes you look worse and worse because we're beginning to realize that you think you're saying something really smart.

And really, even if someone does end up starting him week 1 it's not necessarily the end of the world or an indictment of their drafting ability.  There are plenty of people that are going to be rolling out a Detroit RB or Miami RB or Baltimore RB or New England RB, etc without really having any clarity on which one is the right guy yet.  If Matt Jones is out week 1 (not a given, obviously) then having a guy that is pretty likely to get a good bulk of the work that week while those other situations clear up has some value to some people.  If Jones is out week 1 it's almost a certainty that the FBGs week 1 start/sit projections will have him ranked higher than some guys people have in their starting lineup.  That's not necessarily an indictment of someone's drafting because, as some people seem to have trouble realizing, we draft for a season and not just week 1.  This is especially true in modern FF where a lot of people strategically wait on RBs and load up elsewhere.  Those drafters typically load up on a mid round RBs, many of which have upside but the hardest part is figuring out which ones to start early on (if that part were easy, they wouldn't be available in the middle rounds).  Being able to push that decision back a week after seeing what happens out on the field in the regular season is a legitimate advantage for people with those drafting approaches.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure I only said it twice.

;)  

If this guy succeeds at all in the NFL it will be amazing. 1st percentile SPARQ athlete who never had more than 95 carries in 4 years of college, had 3.6 ypc as a 23 year old at Tulane. Man the Redskins botched this RB situation badly.

If this guy succeeds at all in the NFL it will be amazing. 1st percentile SPARQ athlete who never had more than 95 carries in 4 years of college, had 3.6 ypc as a 23 year old at Tulane. Man the Redskins botched this RB situation badly.
Well said on all counts. 

I think they bring Pierre Thomas back after Week 1 - so his contract isn't fully guaranteed. He played decently for them last season and the team is in "win now" mode in what may even be a weaker NFC East than it was last season.

I'm not trying to start up the whole debate on whether or not he is rosterable right now (I think he is if you have room), but the bottom line is that he just isn't really a very good prospect for success in this league - although it happens sometimes.

I think they bring Pierre Thomas back after Week 1 - so his contract isn't fully guaranteed. He played decently for them last season and the team is in "win now" mode it what may even be a weaker NFC East than it was last season. I'm not trying to start up the whole debate on whether or not he is rosterable right now (I think he is), but the bottom line he just isn't really a very good prospect for success in this league - although it happens sometimes.
Yeah they have to bring in someone. I'm rostering Kelley at this point just because he seems to have a beat on a starting job which is something. That said, I defy someone to name me a worse RB prospect in the last decade that started a game for an NFL team. 

I think they bring Pierre Thomas back after Week 1 - so his contract isn't fully guaranteed. He played decently for them last season and the team is in "win now" mode in what may even be a weaker NFC East than it was last season.

I'm not trying to start up the whole debate on whether or not he is rosterable right now (I think he is if you have room), but the bottom line is that he just isn't really a very good prospect for success in this league - although it happens sometimes.
This is exactly what Skin homer in my league said. He's waiting on Thomas and grabbed Kelley in the interim.

Tell you what, if the Skins grab a RB off someone else's roster after final cuts, THAT guy is going to be interesting.  

As if Matt Jones is some monster who needs the job taken away from him. Newsflash: Matt Jones is TERRIBLE.
I'm not a member of the Matt Jones Fan Club. I'm avoiding the entire RB situation. Just seems capricious to think there is a 10% chance a young starting RB who the coaching staff believes in enough to let an established vet walk loses his job (sans injury) to an even more unimpressive UDFA RB.
The vet in this case is/was a thumper   Fat Fred /M. Jones appears can either stay in for pass protection Or catch the ball  (technically a "3-down back")

Look I dont know any words to express about the situation from the start..  Alfred although limited is/was a proven commodity..  Im not sure there was a Solid RB available in the draft or FA..  I like the premise of building from the inside -out..  ie.  Get the O-Line right  Get the Defense performing 

(IMHO)  IF the Skins had all the pieces?  Id be all for spending a 1st round pick on the flashiest RB available..  However in some sick way it all makes sense.  The Skins hired a few RB's and set in motion a competition for a starting role in the National Football League..  

Im not asking for anyone to explain what it would have costs for Washington to draft Zeke..  But, Id sorta be disappointed in the loss of picks, because I believe its not SB or bust time.  Now it may be a good Season or even a great one.  But there is some Ugly teams like Denver, maybe getting uglier this Season..

Dont some/most NFL teams (Great ones) have a backup RB who can step-up?  The Skins still need/needed that guy too..  Hopefully Fat Fred can run on Diesel, or play a Bus role

p.s.  Fat Fred led his team as a Freshman..  For all we know, Scouts may have shown interests  OR  Coachs trully cared to find his best position.  But none of that matters at this time.  Lets see what happens..  I got so excited hearing Matt thinks he may be back for week one  (nerves kickin in a little?) 

That Team has heart though   Maybe not enough for a prima dona RB, but real heart none the less.  Dont forget, Keep an eye on this guy..  Watch tonights game, but more importantly listen to the interviews post game.  IF the QB/O-Line continue talking up Fat Rob   (Bringing in a new RB might just be talk)  Save money by withholding the playbook?  Thats not saving money to an HTTR Fan

Looking good tonight against whoever Tampa has out there, probably 2s and 3s
At least he's not getting stuffed or screwing up.   If he sits the rest of the game like he did the last drive I think that will be the bigger story.  I would think that a guy like him would be playing more than 1 drive if he wasn't in the week 1 game plan.

Mack Brown looks good too... Might just be Tampa has no depth at D
It's Tampa.  They missed 3-4 tackles on his run.  I think we are just seeing Brown because Gruden already knows what he has in Kelley.  I still think Kelley is the guy to have.  He looked good on the few runs he got.  

tone1oc said:
Bold

"According to the NFL Players Association the average career length is about 3.3 years [2.57 for RBs]"
Those numbers don't really mean anything in this situation.  So it actually is somewhat bold.

That is assuming you think Kelley is top 2 on the depth chart.

I think he is atop the depth chart right now, but  :no:
I'm talking top 2 absent injuries.  I'd guarantee that any RB that starts the season in the top 2 spots (absent injuries to people above him) has a much higher than 3 year average NFL career.  Now if you're 2nd because of injuries it's different obviously.  But as far as I can tell he's 2nd if everyone on the roster is healthy.  That 2.47 year career includes practice squad guys and the like.

I'm talking top 2 absent injuries.  I'd guarantee that any RB that starts the season in the top 2 spots (absent injuries to people above him) has a much higher than 3 year average NFL career.  Now if you're 2nd because of injuries it's different obviously.  But as far as I can tell he's 2nd if everyone on the roster is healthy.  That 2.47 year career includes practice squad guys and the like.
It also includes Emmitt Smith and Fred Jackson.  All good though, I don't care to argue about that.  If I had to put money on it, he probably is out the league in 3 years, but that doesn't mean he can't help my fantasy team right now.

With so many people going WR early, the late round RBs are sparse because everyone is just taking the shotgun approach. Just took Kelley at the end of a 12 team 16 round draft. The other options are extremely bleak. 

The top 10 projected options available on the WW are: DMC, Dixon, Hillman, Gillislee, J Bell, Ellington, Bradshaw, Khiry, C. West, Blue

Just read this: 

Meanwhile, 21 of 22 players listed as regulars on Tampa Bay's depth chart, including quarterback Jameis Winston, did not dress.

I grabbed him in the 18th round before my kicker/DST in a ffpc league tonight. I'm pretty sure he would have went undrafted, which in a 20 round draft seems incorrect.

With so many people going WR early, the late round RBs are sparse because everyone is just taking the shotgun approach. Just took Kelley at the end of a 12 team 16 round draft. The other options are extremely bleak. 

The top 10 projected options available on the WW are: DMC, Dixon, Hillman, Gillislee, J Bell, Ellington, Bradshaw, Khiry, C. West, Blue
Pretty grim options. I suppose Gillislee might be next best. We saw Bills use a lot of backs last year with success (including Gills). Bush is washed up and very injury prone. Also are we sure Blue is ahead of Ervin?

Pretty grim options. I suppose Gillislee might be next best. We saw Bills use a lot of backs last year with success (including Gills). Bush is washed up and very injury prone. Also are we sure Blue is ahead of Ervin?
Grab Dixon and wait for his return to action

Grab Dixon and wait for his return to action
Gillislee I'm not even sure is ahead of Jonathan Williams. Dixon has about a month(?) of zeroes before he comes in. Kelley can swapped out for Dixon if/when the time comes. Balt still has a somewhat crowded back field. I know Dixon climbed the depth chart but West hasn't looked bad, Forsett is still listed as the starter and Buck Allen is only in his second year (may improve).  

Dismattle said:
The vet in this case is/was a thumper   Fat Fred /M. Jones appears can either stay in for pass protection Or catch the ball  (technically a "3-down back")

Look I dont know any words to express about the situation from the start..  Alfred although limited is/was a proven commodity..  Im not sure there was a Solid RB available in the draft or FA..  I like the premise of building from the inside -out..  ie.  Get the O-Line right  Get the Defense performing 

(IMHO)  IF the Skins had all the pieces?  Id be all for spending a 1st round pick on the flashiest RB available..  However in some sick way it all makes sense.  The Skins hired a few RB's and set in motion a competition for a starting role in the National Football League..  

Im not asking for anyone to explain what it would have costs for Washington to draft Zeke..  But, Id sorta be disappointed in the loss of picks, because I believe its not SB or bust time.  Now it may be a good Season or even a great one.  But there is some Ugly teams like Denver, maybe getting uglier this Season..

Dont some/most NFL teams (Great ones) have a backup RB who can step-up?  The Skins still need/needed that guy too..  Hopefully Fat Fred can run on Diesel, or play a Bus role

p.s.  Fat Fred led his team as a Freshman..  For all we know, Scouts may have shown interests  OR  Coachs trully cared to find his best position.  But none of that matters at this time.  Lets see what happens..  I got so excited hearing Matt thinks he may be back for week one  (nerves kickin in a little?) 

That Team has heart though   Maybe not enough for a prima dona RB, but real heart none the less.  Dont forget, Keep an eye on this guy..  Watch tonights game, but more importantly listen to the interviews post game.  IF the QB/O-Line continue talking up Fat Rob   (Bringing in a new RB might just be talk)  Save money by withholding the playbook?  Thats not saving money to an HTTR Fan
Don't do drugs.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Who is Fat Fred? Think you mean Rob. And he's not playing tonight.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Nah, Rob Kelley's nickname is Fat Rob because he showed up overweight in the offseason going into his junior or senior season of college or something.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Fat alFRED?

what the hell is FatFred? There is no overweight RB named Fred on Washington Redskins is there?

tone1oc said:
That was Deshazor Everett, who is also wearing #22 and was incorrectly called Robert Kelley by the play by play guy.  I did rewind to double check.  It was a 200 lb db with no dreads that had Everett on his back.
Thanks, never would've caught that as I was only really paying attention when we were on O

Matt Jones will probably start week 1 but Kelley is going to cut significantly into Jones carries and I fully expect Kelley to outperform Jones by seasons end. He is a more decisive runner, cuts harder, actually breaks tackles, shows better vision, and has better ball security. 

Matt Jones will probably start week 1 but Kelley is going to cut significantly into Jones carries and I fully expect Kelley to outperform Jones by seasons end. He is a more decisive runner, cuts harder, actually breaks tackles, shows better vision, and has better ball security. 
Not sure if Kelley will wrestle the job away from Jones, but it could happen, and at the price you have to pay for Kelley, pennies compared to Jones, I'm buying.

I'm tempted to drop either Forsett or Starks for Kelley.  
In redraft?

Why would you drop a starting RB who has proven success like Forsett for a flier type RB? Starks I could see, but if Lacy goes down or balloons up again he could regret that one as well (but at this time it wouldn't be a terrible idea).

Users who are viewing this thread