What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stand-up Desks? OMG I'M WORKING AND STANDING (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
What's the scoop on these things?  Anybody have one?  More and more folks in my office are using Varidesks -- it's spreading like a plague.  I'm told it's good for your posture and somesuch.  Anybody using one?  Recommend?

I spend like 98% of my waking hours in front of a computer.  Worth doing?

TIA

Ranks pretty high on the ######## scale if you ask me.  I dont recommend.  Just sit down like a normal person.

My boss has one but ended up putting a super tall chair in front of it.  I wouldn't do it, some people seem to like it, but most, like my boss, probably tried it for a spell and gave up the idea.

Why don't you...you know, ask all those people in the office that have them what they think? :shrug:

Why don't you...you know, ask all those people in the office that have them what they think? :shrug:
Yeah right, like I'm gonna trust them.

Asked one today and she responded: "Have had it for a year now.  Wouldn’t change a thing"

Was just curious if you nerds were doing this too.  And I had a weak moment thinking about it.  I kind hate sitting all the time.  :shrug:  

If they are giving them to you at the office I'd get one. It's pretty much a table that lifts up.

I have one and use the stand up option maybe a couple of hours a day just to break things up. I find it nice to have after lunch or if you exercised at lunch.

I've got one and love it.  I'm BigLaw, like yourself.  I stand for maybe 4-5 hours per day (standing at my desk right now).  It's built-in to my office, and I don't know what brand it is though.

Yeah right, like I'm gonna trust them.

Asked one today and she responded: "Have had it for a year now.  Wouldn’t change a thing"

Was just curious if you nerds were doing this too.  And I had a weak moment thinking about it.  I kind hate sitting all the time.  :shrug:  
Chump don't want no help, Chump don't get da help.
Jive-### dude ain't got no brains anyhow.  Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

What's the scoop on these things?  Anybody have one?  More and more folks in my office are using Varidesks -- it's spreading like a plague.  I'm told it's good for your posture and somesuch.  Anybody using one?  Recommend?

I spend like 98% of my waking hours in front of a computer.  Worth doing?

TIA
I kind of get the impression you are an older guy....If I am correct, you may get the blood clots from sitting most of the time..Something to think about...One minute you are fine, the next you stroke out or worse....

We have about 1/3 pf pur office using these things and most love them.  One guy stands for all but lunchtime and he's been using his for two years now.  Remember, you have to get the floor mat along with the desk in order to get maximum benefit.  

Also, if you have the space I'd suggest getting the larger one so you have more work surface.  Seems to be split down the middle as to whether the solid desktop or the one with the keyboard cutout, matter of what's more important, work area or ergonomic keyboarding.

I do know that the envy factor is high.  Couple people got 'em at our main office and you'd think we stole vacation days from the rest..

Is it unmanly to use a stand up desk or something. Don't know if offered why you wouldn't take it as an option.
I think folks are buying their own. I don't think my company provides them. So I'd be shelling out like 300-500 bucks to get one myself. Which I have no problem spending for something that could theoretically have an impact on most of my waking hours.  Still not sure I understand what those benefits are. 

We have about 1/3 pf pur office using these things and most love them.  One guy stands for all but lunchtime and he's been using his for two years now.  Remember, you have to get the floor mat along with the desk in order to get maximum benefit.  
Exactly what benefit are we talking about here?

Standing all day on a hard floor is bad for your whole body but especially your feet so the anti-fatigue mat is used to alleviate that pain.  You are supposed to sort of rock side to side or soft march while standing to keep circulation going.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are putting these into all of our offices next week.  There's a pneumatic lever on the side and you can raise it to any height from sitting to standing on the fly.  My brother has one and loves it.

I think folks are buying their own. I don't think my company provides them. So I'd be shelling out like 300-500 bucks to get one myself. Which I have no problem spending for something that could theoretically have an impact on most of my waking hours.  Still not sure I understand what those benefits are. 
I looked up what you had mentioned and those are different than what I got set up with. I have this big table that raises up/down with some buttons so I can't speak to the how convenient or PITA the Veridesk things are.

To the health thing - no idea if it's healthier but I definitely like standing up if the back is a little cranky, if I'm tired, if I had a big lunch, after commute in, etc.

You probably spend majority of the week at that desk I'm guessing so that amount of money doesn't seem like that much. 

Where I work, after building renovations everyone will have powered desks that can be raised and lowered for standing and sitting. We moved into a newly renovated building and most people stood for at least part of the day. Three months later it may be 20% that stand at their desk for any portion of the day. Nice feature I guess but overrated. 

I looked up what you had mentioned and those are different than what I got set up with. I have this big table that raises up/down with some buttons so I can't speak to the how convenient or PITA the Veridesk things are.
They are very convenient.  They lay on top of your current desk surface and raise/lower by pulling on the levers on the side of the desk.  Smooth and adjustable to any height up to max.  Takes about 5 seconds to raise/lower.

I'll also add that I share a work area with another guy. We both inherited these robodesks  I don't think I have ever seen him raise his once so there's a chance you'll end up with just another weird thing on your desk :lol:

Where I work, after building renovations everyone will have powered desks that can be raised and lowered for standing and sitting. We moved into a newly renovated building and most people stood for at least part of the day. Three months later it may be 20% that stand at their desk for any portion of the day. Nice feature I guess but overrated. 
Yeah, there is some peel back after the initial "wow" stage by some of our employees but the ones who use the standing feature regularly swear by them.

I am hoping to get one of these, mainly so I can loom over clients as they sit way below me in their lame regular chairs on the other side of the desk. "Sign here, mothereffer."

They are very convenient.  They lay on top of your current desk surface and raise/lower by pulling on the levers on the side of the desk.  Smooth and adjustable to any height up to max.  Takes about 5 seconds to raise/lower.
Was just curious if it cramped work space or it was weird to have the different platforms or felt flimsy. Sounds like they are pretty solid.

All desk talk all the time :lol:

Pair the stand up desk with a Herman Miller Stool, not the chair but the outrageously expensive stool which can go up and down with the desk, if you truly want to try and stay in shape and not allow sitting at a desk to cripple you, these are a really good idea and while it is sort of expensive to put this kind of thing together, I believe the long term benefits of being in a more ready to stand and move around position probably has a positive impact on your health, just my .02

Great thread, great idea, but you must have the Herman Miller stool or it's a total waste of time Otis  ;)

I don't really know about the studies or whatever but I have one and I like using it sporadically during the day. 

varidesk must be making a mint. 

I visited one company that had a collaborative workspace (jusy show up grab any desk) and one of the workstations had a treadmill with a desk

Dan Lambskin said:
I visited one company that had a collaborative workspace (jusy show up grab any desk) and one of the workstations had a treadmill with a desk
say what now??

No way in hell I'd want to stand all day.  My knees are bad enough as  it is. I treasure my hours spent sitting! 

I have one.  I have a bad back and sitting for hours causes it to tighten up.  I'll stand for 30 minutes every two hours (if I can't walk or sometimes both).  Helps with core, work productivity, and back problems.  Oh, and with the double monitors it blocks my view of watching people walk by my office.

My assistant loves her veridesk.  I tried it for a week and was meh.  If your monitor(s) are large, and knowing Oats, it is at least 27" I don't think you will like it.

sports_fan said:
Only thing worse is the people who sit on exercise balls.
My daughter's 4th grade class is going to be sitting on yoga balls this year. Should be interesting.

Dan Lambskin said:
I have a fiend who works out of his house, is a fitness nut (marathoner) and has the treadmill version. Mostly walks on it. Part of the reason might be because he is in Vegas, and not always good running weather!

My assistant loves her veridesk.  I tried it for a week and was meh.  If your monitor(s) are large, and knowing Oats, it is at least 27" I don't think you will like it.
Two large monitors.  Why won't it be able to do that?

Two large monitors.  Why won't it be able to do that?
The desk can handle it, but it felt like sitting in the first row of a movie theater... too close.  21" and below seemed fine with dual monitors.  It also raises the monitor level when sitting. 

Capella said:
I don't really know about the studies or whatever but I have one and I like using it sporadically during the day. 

varidesk must be making a mint. 
I used to do business to business sales for an office supplies company. There was no easier way to hit sales targets for the month/quarter/year than to set up a whole bunch of "ergonomic assessments" and just let the company run wild.

Stand up desk here, new adjustable double monitor there, foot rest for those who want to keep your chair but oh you should really be using this super duper orthopaedic chair and not that crappy standard 4-way adjustable one. Here try this rounded keyboard and joystick mouse, doesn't that feel better on your wrists.

:moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

Users who are viewing this thread