What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dress Shoes (1 Viewer)

JShare87

Footballguy
I looked for a thread about dress shoes but couldn't find anything. I don't want to spend much more than 100 on a pair of shoes. What kind of dress shoes do most of you recommend or wear? Looking for something comfortable since I'll be in them all day. I don't want cheap shoes, but I also don't want to break the bank. 

Whatever you do don't buy black shoes unless you wear business suits or attend funerals regularly.

Dark brown or cordovan will have the most utility.

A $300 pair of shoes elevates a $300 suit

A $100 pair of shoe tanks a $700 suit

Allen Edmonds are great shoes , comfy , stylish and made in the USA  . You can get some nice deals during their sales

Do you want to spend $100 every year, or $300 once and $50 every 2 years? 
Actually think dress shoes are a place where spending 300 dollars on well made shoes saves you money in the long run as they can last you a lifetime if taken care of. Would suggest Allen Edmonds which you can get for around 300. Lots of other great brands but those are good entry level shoes made really well (and in the good old USA). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I spend about $140 every 7 years or so on a pair of dress shoes. 

That's $70 for a brown pair and $70 for a black pair. I look nice and my wife still bones me.

I looked for a thread about dress shoes but couldn't find anything. I don't want to spend much more than 100 on a pair of shoes. What kind of dress shoes do most of you recommend or wear? Looking for something comfortable since I'll be in them all day. I don't want cheap shoes, but I also don't want to break the bank. 
You have to spend more than 100, unless you find a really great deal. Keep an eye out on Reddit or slickdeals or similar, be patient and you can get nice dress shoes for about $200. Know your size, be ready when the sales are on. 

You'll need to look on eBay, or check discount stores. Find something marked down crazy.

Because $100 shoes are crap. 

And they are obvious. Women especially can spot cheap shoes, and more importantly, quality shoes.

I know you don't want to break the bank...but Allen Edmonds.  Currently on sale through Sept. 5.  Most popular styles are Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand, and McAllister.  When they get worn out you can have them recrafted for $125.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a shoe from Aldo on there, disqualifying the entire piece.
Just trying to point him in a more specific direction vs just checking ebay or discount stores for something discounted like crazy.  I wouldn't buy em either. Sheesh.  

Nordstroms sales were great for Cole Haan . I used to love Cole Haan but they went downhill after Nike bought them. Haven't tried them since Nike sold them.
Cole Haans are pretty crappy shoes at this point. You are buying name/style and they won't last long. 

Doc Martens

Clarks

Rockport

Of those Rockports probably last the longest although I have a pair of Doc Martens I bought in London ten years ago that are still holding up.  I have three pairs of Clarks that I regularly wear, and sho is correct the soles aren't always the best.  Still, my primary black shoes lasted about two years and I wore them a ton.  They are so comfortable they could be used as slippers. 

Also don't listen to people telling you not to buy black shoes, that's non sense.  I wear a lot of dark colored pants, brown shoes usually look like crap.  No one is looking at your shoes anyway, except Hell Toupee, because he's a little metrosexual.  NTTATWWT

Just trying to point him in a more specific direction vs just checking ebay or discount stores for something discounted like crazy.  I wouldn't buy em either. Sheesh.  
They do have a pair of cobbler union shoes on the list and I have a pair of them and think they are great. Only had them six months or so and seem to be holding together well. 

Sorry, man. Was trying to be more funny than nasty.

Aldo is the perfect example of a shoe that looks decent, and when you're young, who the #### knows? $125 later, they look like garbage in two months.

Save money in other areas. Money spent on decent shoes will save money, cause you ain't buying more crappy shoes in 9 months.

Doc Martens

Clarks

Rockport

Of those Rockports probably last the longest although I have a pair of Doc Martens I bought in London ten years ago that are still holding up.  I have three pairs of Clarks that I regularly wear, and sho is correct the soles aren't always the best.  Still, my primary black shoes lasted about two years and I wore them a ton.  They are so comfortable they could be used as slippers. 

Also don't listen to people telling you not to buy black shoes, that's non sense.  I wear a lot of dark colored pants, brown shoes usually look like crap.  No one is looking at your shoes anyway, except Hell Toupee, because he's a little metrosexual.  NTTATWWT
Can you recommend him some good tighty-whiteys and the best early bird specials in the greater Orlando area?

Doc Martens

Clarks

Rockport

Can you recommend him some good tighty-whiteys and the best early bird specials in the greater Orlando area?
I have a pair of $500 Italian dress shoes, they aren't all that comfortable and I walk a lot at work.  He wanted shoes under $100, those are the best out there IMO. 

Allen Edmonds is your best bet.  Find a shoe you like online and find a place that carries it so you can get your size.  You can try on just about any shoe built on the same last to get your size.  

Look up Allen Edmonds seconds and find the shoe.  These shoes have slight flaws, but are heavily discounted.  The flaws are almost always unnoticeable even if you look for them.  If the flaw bugs you they can be sent back at no charge.

If you can't find a place that carries them just grab them online and see if they fit.  You can always send them back.

When the soles wear out you just send them back to AE and they will re-craft them.  They not only resole them, but they re-cork them and refinish them as well.  They use the same last so the shoe fits like brand new.  It costs about $100 I think and is a great deal.  I have a pair on their third recrafting.

I've been thinking about getting a new pair but the shoes I have don't have any major signs of wear. I've had them about 6 years :shrug:  I don't know why my casual shoes break down so much faster.

Sorry, man. Was trying to be more funny than nasty.

Aldo is the perfect example of a shoe that looks decent, and when you're young, who the #### knows? $125 later, they look like garbage in two months.

Save money in other areas. Money spent on decent shoes will save money, cause you ain't buying more crappy shoes in 9 months.
All good. I used to go through $100 shoes in 6-8 months.  Being an older out of fashion touch guy, didn't know the first place to start (cargo shorts are still lefit, right?).  Thank god for the innerwebs.  

Doc Martens

Clarks

Rockport

Next time you are in London pickup a pair of proper Crockett & Jones .

agree about black shoes , don't wear them as much but for the average joe probably should be the 1st pair you buy

The ladies checkout shoes on guys , at least that's what the Mrs informs me

Next time you are in London pickup a pair of proper Crockett & Jones .

agree about black shoes , don't wear them as much but for the average joe probably should be the 1st pair you buy

The ladies checkout shoes on guys , at least that's what the Mrs informs me
I have more of an issue getting rid of ladies than getting them, is there a shoe for that? 

Plus these DC chicks only care about your car and your zip code.  I only wear my expensive shoes for weddings, Debutantes Balls, and job interviews. 

Have had some I love and some that wore fast and fell apart. For an everyday /casualwork/office shoe they are very good. Not crazy about them as a dress shoe 

:nerd:
Pro tip: Ecco will replace for a good amount of time based on normal wear and tear.  Their repairs are also high quality.

For lower end dailies I like Johnston & Murphy and Charles Tyrwhitt.  If you are willing spend a little bit more I agree Allen Edmunds are great, and Meermin makes nice quality shoes as well.  

This isn't a major thread already?  Tragic.

My main thought when it comes to shoes is this:  That first leap in quality, that's the big jump.  That first $150 or so extra, whatever.  Once you are there, you have good shoes, that can pay for themselves.  

Find a nice brogue you like.  You can wear with a suit, and jeans.  They'll look great with jeans forever.  

Look for deals on them.  

eBay, whatever else the internet has figured out in shopping.  

Profit.  

IMO brown shoes only look like crap with dark pants if your belt and socks don't match the shoes.   Agree though that everyone should have a nice pair of black shoes.

IMO brown shoes only look like crap with dark pants if your belt and socks don't match the shoes.   Agree though that everyone should have a nice pair of black shoes.
Good point.  I wear a lot of grays and dark blues though and I don't like mixing brown in, especially with gray.  Gotta match belt and shoes though, I lived in Italy long enough to know that! 

This isn't a major thread already?  Tragic.

My main thought when it comes to shoes is this:  That first leap in quality, that's the big jump.  That first $150 or so extra, whatever.  Once you are there, you have good shoes, that can pay for themselves.  

Find a nice brogue you like.  You can wear with a suit, and jeans.  They'll look great with jeans forever.  

Look for deals on them.  

eBay, whatever else the internet has figured out in shopping.  

Profit.  
Ugh, what's up with the rolled jeans?  Not even James Bond pulls off that look.  

For lower end dailies I like Johnston & Murphy and Charles Tyrwhitt.  If you are willing spend a little bit more I agree Allen Edmunds are great, and Meermin makes nice quality shoes as well.  
Think Loake makes many of the Charles tyrwhitt shoes but would recommending going to source as think some tyrwhitt shoes are not up to the quality of others. 

Cole Haans are pretty crappy shoes at this point. You are buying name/style and they won't last long. 
I bought a pair of Cole Haans almost four years ago and have had good luck. Have had the soles and heels redone twice. I  wear them at least four days a week. I spent about 225 if I recall correctly and have put another 100 into them. At the rate they are going, I will grow tired of them before they wear out. 

If $100 is your budget, then stay under $100.  You can always save up later and buy one of these more expensive pairs people are recommending. 

With your screen name, I'm guessing you are in your later 20s and probably have more important things to drop $300 plus on instead of shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread