What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 RB Lotto Ticket Rankings (1 Viewer)

Payton's talk doesn't often translate to his game day decisions. Last year he was saying "we gotta figure how to get the ball into CJs hands more" in December while resurrecting Hightower.

But last year CJ missed the preseason & the first couple games, so I'm inclined to think 2016 might be different.

3 touches 27 yards tonight. Still think Hightower or even Murphy benefit if Ingram misses time, but it looks like Spiller may have the old Darren Sproles role.

Still on my wire. I have Ingram, Freeman, Duke, Henry, Ware & DeAndre Washington - think I'll leave him alone. But he should be FF relevant this year.
Yeah - I think this *could* be different for CJ.  He's obviously battled his health since he went to NO, but there have also been whispers that he struggled with the playbook too.

He just looks different this preseason when you watch him play.  I grabbed him on all my teams as I'm usually not blessed with RB depth.  His role in the third preseason game was encouraging to me -- playing right alongside Ingram with the starters, nearly splitting touches and getting most of the catches.  It's very similar to the old Sproles' role in Payton's offense.  I'll sign up for that all day in PPR.  Plus, as we saw again last night, CJ seems to have the juice back in his legs...

I heart Tyler Ervin, and I own him everywhere.  I've seen some speculate Ervin will have more of an impact than Fuller or Miller on the Texans offense.  As you mentioned, he's a tremendous returner, and despite his size he carried a full workload at San Jose State.  He then destroyed the combine...

In Kevin Cole's Combine Results Decision Tree for RBs, if you consider Ervin as a 5'10" RB (he measured 5097, or 5' 9 7/8"), he falls into the 78% success bucket -- defined as having at least one RB1 (top-12) RB season in his first 3 years in the league.  That's based solely on the combine measurables, which aren't everything... but Ervin has the production from college and was the 119th draft pick out of a small school.
Good signs here...

Texans rookie Tyler Ervin was held out of the preseason finale.

It's a good sign for the Texans' explosive fourth-round pick after Ervin ran extensively with the ones in the regular season dress rehearsal last week. On Thursday night, the Texans leaned heavily on bubble backs Kenny Hilliard and Akeem Hunt. Ervin could get a few touches in Week 1 against the Bears.

Yeah - I think this *could* be different for CJ.  He's obviously battled his health since he went to NO, but there have also been whispers that he struggled with the playbook too.

He just looks different this preseason when you watch him play.  I grabbed him on all my teams as I'm usually not blessed with RB depth.  His role in the third preseason game was encouraging to me -- playing right alongside Ingram with the starters, nearly splitting touches and getting most of the catches.  It's very similar to the old Sproles' role in Payton's offense.  I'll sign up for that all day in PPR.  Plus, as we saw again last night, CJ seems to have the juice back in his legs...
Yeah, he's reportedly not very bright, likely has a learning disability. That's real and explains a lot about his limited role last year.

In full PPR, Sproles went from RB30 in SD to RB5, RB12 and RB24 in his first three years with the Saints. Could definitely see Spiller as a top 20 back in full PPR. Mitigating factors is health, but he's basically free for anybody who wants him right now.

Cuts starting to trickle out... Peyton Barber could be interesting depending on where he lands. 

Also Denver is shopping Ronnie Hillman.  Have to think the Colts are at least kicking the tires.  He'd be very interesting in Indy.

Troymaine Pope. This guy is really good. Seahawks may cut him because they don't have space. If they do, I guarantee another team in need of a back will scoop him up. He has starter potential in the right situation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of Ware, you need to be in a 8+ bench spot 12 teamer to roster any of these guys unless its a handcuff like AP-Mckinnon or Dougie-Sims, etc. I agree for the most part with your OP, SSND, and Id love a couple spots on my bench for some of these longshots, but its a no can do Id have to think in most leagues this time of year. A few of these RBs will be gold this year, but you cant let a bench spot rot hoping the one you have is the winning ticket.

Artis-Payne is good RB people are sleeping on this season, I expect Stewart to get hurt often. Booker is the most talented back in Denver, expect him to takeover sometime in the 2nd half of the season. Dixon is another beast, he is a future starter at that position.  Ware looks like he will see some significant time, but West did perform last year so expect a split here.

CMike should never be on any list, especially with the likes of Henry who will be a top 5 RB one day. He sucks and why there is any hype on this way below average talent escapes me. What is Blue doing on this list? He along with CMike should be greeting people at a local Walmart

Jonathan Williams. Good vision, speed and he breaks tackles. Might be best goal-line back on the team. McCoy was stopped on all 3 of his carries form the 1-yard line in 2015 (source: FFI).  

These are ranked assuming the format is 1PPR. The line between being apart of a RBBC and being a handcuff is thinning so some players may or may not be included. Anyway, what do yours look like.. or more importantly, who are you aggressively targeting?

1. D. Henry (TEN) - I need to see this man touch the ball 20 times in a game
  2. J. McKinnon (MIN) - freaky freak
  3. C. Simms (TB) - has 3-down potential, played extremely well last year
  4. T. Coleman (ATL) - averaged 4.5 last year, good OL, would be a candidate for 20ish touches
  5. C. Michael (SEA) - may be a RBBC in SEA so I don't know if this counts
  6. B. Powell (NYJ) - skill set suited to PPR
  7. D. Washington (OAK) - would be working with a good OL and passes the eye test
  8. S. Ware (KC) - has shown he can be productive but may still have receptions siphoned off by West
  9. D. Booker (DEN) - projects as a 3-down back and I like what I've seen in the preseason
  10. T. Yeldon - Ivory's injury history
  11. C. Johnson (ARI) - candidate for 20+ touches
  12. J. Ajayi (MIA) - Foster's injury history
  13. A. Morris (DAL) - a mailbox could rush for 4+ ypc behind DAL's OL
  14. J. Starks (GB) - JAG but volume
  15. B. Cunningham (STL) - Rams suck
  16. R. Kelley (WAS) - I'm gonna pee on youuu
  17. J. Howard (CHI) - no passing game role 
  18. S. Draughn (SF) - PPR
  19. P. Perkins - the latest NYG backfield dark horse 
  20. A. Blue (HOU) - looks like he's running in mud
  21. C. Artis-Payne (CAR) - realistically needs a Newton injury as well as a Stewart injury
Hey SSND - I'd like to see you update your list now that we are 2 weeks into the season.  I see this thread as a "living" document - changing as the season goes along.  It would be nice if we kept this thread up to date based on RBs that have not yet moved into the starting role.  Example, McKinnon would be on the list because he won't start until this coming weeks of games.

Lotto and Lottery RB Tickets are expensive roster spots but this is still a valuable discussion.

Right now I'd list these players, not necessarily in order, as the top Lotto RB Tickets based on volume and/or OL performance.

Booker DEN

Henry TEN

Powell NYJ

Starks GB

Thoughts?

Hey SSND - I'd like to see you update your list now that we are 2 weeks into the season.  I see this thread as a "living" document - changing as the season goes along.  It would be nice if we kept this thread up to date based on RBs that have not yet moved into the starting role.  Example, McKinnon would be on the list because he won't start until this coming weeks of games.

Lotto and Lottery RB Tickets are expensive roster spots but this is still a valuable discussion.

Right now I'd list these players, not necessarily in order, as the top Lotto RB Tickets based on volume and/or OL performance.

Booker DEN

Henry TEN

Powell NYJ

Starks GB

Thoughts?
Agree. I have Henry and want to hold as long as possible. Booker is a guy I would love to get on the end of my bench at some point. I suppose Dwayne Washington fits in this conversation although he's no longer priced as a stocking stuffer scratch off.  Shaun Draughn,  Alf Morris, Dion Lewis,  and Kenneth Dixon are also guys I would consider rostering if you have an empty spot. 

Agree. I have Henry and want to hold as long as possible. Booker is a guy I would love to get on the end of my bench at some point. I suppose Dwayne Washington fits in this conversation although he's no longer priced as a stocking stuffer scratch off.  Shaun Draughn,  Alf Morris, Dion Lewis,  and Kenneth Dixon are also guys I would consider rostering if you have an empty spot. 
:goodposting:    :shark:

Dixon video

no J. Howard ? Fox is going to be fired if they dont turn things around.Langford is a bum.Howard is a PERFECT fit for that offense and its blocking schemes.

In no order:

Henry 

Asiata not McKinnon

I. Crowell

Dixon

Why isn't anyone mentioning Kenjon Barner with the Eagles? I believe he's Ryan Mathews back-up......Last week he had two runs for 10 plus yards, he's returning kicks in pre-season for TDs.....He's in his 3rd year I believe....I thought I read on this site that the Eagles offensive line is ranked pretty highly.

Mathews always goes down.....I think he's already dinged up a litt.e Just one open door crack for Kenjon and he could be up and rolling.

Am I taking crazy pills here, or what? BTW I invented the piano key necktie....what have any of you done? Absolutely nothing!

Why isn't anyone mentioning Kenjon Barner with the Eagles? I believe he's Ryan Mathews back-up......Last week he had two runs for 10 plus yards, he's returning kicks in pre-season for TDs.....He's in his 3rd year I believe....I thought I read on this site that the Eagles offensive line is ranked pretty highly.

Mathews always goes down.....I think he's already dinged up a litt.e Just one open door crack for Kenjon and he could be up and rolling.

Am I taking crazy pills here, or what? BTW I invented the piano key necktie....what have any of you done? Absolutely nothing!
 Nah.  I think they would give Smallwood more run when Mathews goes down.  Barner is jag

Nah.  I think they would give Smallwood more run when Mathews goes down.  Barner is jag
Eagles like Barner.  Smallwood has gotten pop from Pederson, but Barner is one of the few players left from The Purge. As a 3rd string RB, you'd think it would have been easy to get rid of him.

If Matthews goes down, I think you see Barner get a chance to be the main guy with Smallwood (once he gets caught up as he missed most of training camp) being the backup for the Sproles slot. That's not saying that Smallwood couldn' cut into Barner's time if he outplays his position or Barner underplays his. 

Eagles like Barner.  Smallwood has gotten pop from Pederson, but Barner is one of the few players left from The Purge. As a 3rd string RB, you'd think it would have been easy to get rid of him.

If Matthews goes down, I think you see Barner get a chance to be the main guy with Smallwood (once he gets caught up as he missed most of training camp) being the backup for the Sproles slot. That's not saying that Smallwood couldn' cut into Barner's time if he outplays his position or Barner underplays his. 
That's what I am thinking. Thanks!

These are ranked assuming the format is 1PPR. The line between being apart of a RBBC and being a handcuff is thinning so some players may or may not be included. Anyway, what do yours look like.. or more importantly, who are you aggressively targeting?

2. J. McKinnon (MIN) - freaky freak
  4. T. Coleman (ATL) - averaged 4.5 last year, good OL, would be a candidate for 20ish touches
  6. B. Powell (NYJ) - skill set suited to PPR
  7. D. Washington (OAK) - would be working with a good OL and passes the eye test
  8. S. Ware (KC) - has shown he can be productive but may still have receptions siphoned off by West
  9. D. Booker (DEN) - projects as a 3-down back and I like what I've seen in the preseason
  10. T. Yeldon - Ivory's injury history
  11. C. Johnson (ARI) - candidate for 20+ touches
  12. J. Ajayi (MIA) - Foster's injury history
  13. A. Morris (DAL) - a mailbox could rush for 4+ ypc behind DAL's OL
  14. J. Starks (GB) - JAG but volume
  15. B. Cunningham (STL) - Rams suck
  16. R. Kelley (WAS) - I'm gonna pee on youuu
  17. J. Howard (CHI) - no passing game role 
  18. S. Draughn (SF) - PPR
  19. P. Perkins - the latest NYG backfield dark horse 
  20. A. Blue (HOU) - looks like he's running in mud
  21. C. Artis-Payne (CAR) - realistically needs a Newton injury as well as a Stewart injury
I'd put McCluster in the top 10 along with McKinnon and Asiata in the top 15.  I think McKinnon will be the man in Minnesota, not Asiata even though Asiata will have a role.  In two weeks Dixon will appear on the list and has the potential to move up into the top 10 on this list within 4-6 weeks.

This is a helpful list in the original post, but realistically since the majority of owners are re draft, obtaining a bunch of these on their team at this point in the seaso just isn't possible. (before anyone chimes in and says its more dynasty/ppr/this,that whatever)

The point is, regardless of however you see it, and whatever your league preference and/or breakdown may be, in most cases a typical owner (think redraft with 5-7 bench spots) will only be able to truly "take a shot" on one or two of these guys. We all have to cover the rest our positions right?

It may well be better for us to choose the best few or the top 4-5 for example.

The ones with the best combination of availability , upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket RB" that most owners seem to want.

Dynasty is an entirely different animal, as most readers here know already....for that reason I am steering clear of that.

Many of SSND's list is already getting a fair amount of a workload, or are a part of a RBBC. (of course he wrote it a month ago and we were basically starting from scratch so to speak)

Please realize I am now thinking which one might be the season saver/changer in the event that lottery ticket "hits". Thats what we are pretty much after right? Someone we can acquire cheap midseason , then plug in and get RB2 numbers or hopefully much better down the stretch. Many of us have already been hit with many injuries, some to IR and landing one of these lottery ticket types may well help us down the stretch. I'm at a point in 1-2 leagues, where I am not panicking but I have a corps of 3-4 RBs, and I am down to taking a lottery ticket or two on those teams, combining them with handcuff types and mixing and matching my way towards the future weeks already. It sucks to be this early in the season doing that, but it is what it is and many owners are in the same boat.

If I had to narrow this to 5 or so, this is sort of what my list would look like now.

Jordan Howard - I wrote about this in 1-2 other places. This is likely the last day or two you can get him cheap! Snag him before the games start tomorrow and waivers close. Drop some bench trash, your 5th WR (you will never start), a secondary QB or TE, a second defense (my personal favorite LOL) whatever it is that you aren't going to use and nab Howard or someone like this. So what if he misses, you can pick up your second TE, QB or whatever the Hell type bench trash you think you need you can pick them up once waivers reopen later in the week. 

Here is exactly what I wrote on Howard in another thread -

Langford's sloppy fumble didn't go unnoticed. I saw how bad it was live, and I am sure Fox (who was already grumbling the prior week) took note as well. I know everyone always talks about his non-faith and trust in rookies, but he was already voicing displeasure last week prior to that ugly fumble. The beat writers are expecting "more work" for Howard ,  and he has looked good in limited carries thus far. One more slip up from Langford, (combined with some good production from Howard) and I think he will be seeing Langford sit the bench soon. Lets face it, much of the reason we saw Langford last year is because he was essentially the "last man standing". He was never great by any stretch, merely sufficient. His playoff schedule is week 13 SF, week 14 DET , week 15 GB , week  16 WAS . I notice good schedules around that time of year, do you?

Devontae Booker - may well be the ultimate shark "hold".  CJ Anderson has gotten 20 touches each week thus far, and 3 or 4 catches each week as well. This is a big workload, and lets face it, the guy has had problems staying healthy. Its as if everyone is forgetting his nicked up times last season.  The Broncs schedule isn't the greatest, but that heavy workload would be nice down the stretch.  "Solid RB 2" numbers are pure gold late season when the injuries are piling up. In this case, the workload alone may bring you that. Weeks 8-9-10 look especially juicy.

Kenneth Dixon - Has been dropped in many redraft leagues or was simply never drafted.   He is owned in only 12% of Yahoo leagues, and 14% of ESPN leagues, so he is available somewhere.  I hate the situation there with the carousel of Raven RBs, but the ones currently running the ball look awful. This may take a bit of faith and playing the waiting game, but in 4-5 weeks it could be solid.

Kenneth Farrow - I know many will not agree on this one. Often people say he is just not as "talented" as some of the others. The tape I have seen make him out to be more of a solid (but not flashy), all around back. But he can catch passes, he is a slightly bigger back, and in the event of Gordon going down, he should get all the work near the stripe too, where they need a bigger guy.  Dexter McCluster is not that type of back. I'm not taking anything away from him, but I just don't see him as big enough to take a pounding. Farrow has over 40 pounds on McCluster.  Remember, in a week we can outright cut this Farrow guy. I happen to have Melvin Gordon in a few spots, and in most of those I have now obtained Farrow, fully prepared to drop him this week early if he doesn't look the part, or if he won't get any work.

I know thats only 4, but there are cases to be made for a number of backs honestly. I think its important to remember that this should also mesh well with your team structure, something a few owners tend to ignore. Suppose you start Rivers and Gates.... I would be far less inclined to sit on Farrow, and I would look elsewhere.

One that is flying under everyone's radar currently is Shaun Draughn . He got 7 carries one week, and 9 another. So not only will he get most of the work if Hyde goes down (would that shock you if Hyde got hurt??) Draughn is already getting a little bit of work as it stands. Draughn is 3% owned on Yahoo .  Thats ridiculous. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe he was serviceable at times when needed last year.

This is actually a really good topic, and one that we should try and bump and modify every week as the season goes. I know it kind of steps on the "waiver wire" threads, but having a specific thread where we can try and forecast the next few RB tickets as the weeks goes on could prove helpful to some of us. Its certainly an ever-evolving topic.

TZM

This is a helpful list in the original post, but realistically since the majority of owners are re draft, obtaining a bunch of these on their team at this point in the seaso just isn't possible. (before anyone chimes in and says its more dynasty/ppr/this,that whatever)

The point is, regardless of however you see it, and whatever your league preference and/or breakdown may be, in most cases a typical owner (think redraft with 5-7 bench spots) will only be able to truly "take a shot" on one or two of these guys. We all have to cover the rest our positions right?

The ones with the best combination of availability , upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket RB" that most owners seem to want.

Dynasty is an entirely different animal, as most readers here know already....for that reason I am steering clear of that.

Many of SSND's list is already getting a fair amount of a workload, or are a part of a RBBC. (of course he wrote it a month ago and we were basically starting from scratch so to speak)

Please realize I am now thinking which one might be the season saver/changer in the event that lottery ticket "hits". Thats what we are pretty much after right? Someone we can acquire cheap midseason , then plug in and get RB2 numbers or hopefully much better down the stretch. Many of us have already been hit with many injuries, some to IR and landing one of these lottery ticket types may well help us down the stretch. I'm at a point in 1-2 leagues, where I am not panicking but I have a corps of 3-4 RBs, and I am down to taking a lottery ticket or two on those teams, combining them with handcuff types and mixing and matching my way towards the future weeks already. It sucks to be this early in the season doing that, but it is what it is and many owners are in the same boat.

This is actually a really good topic, and one that we should try and bump and modify every week as the season goes. I know it kind of steps on the "waiver wire" threads, but having a specific thread where we can try and forecast the next few RB tickets as the weeks goes on could prove helpful to some of us. Its certainly an ever-evolving topic.

TZM
Even in a small league with deep rosters. I doubt very any people are going to have a bunch of these guys on their bench. As you mentioned, a lot of it has to do with individual situations which will dictate who and how many people decide upon. I like your individual takes, but I think the big list is the way to go. In a 14 team league, someone may have to go pretty far down the lottery ticket wannabe list to sins someone that's rosterable and if we restrict it to a handful of names, then we'll likely restrict analysis from the masses and potential availability.

There'll be names that will disappear due to injury, etc and names that appear and rise up the charts too. CJA was an afterthought in Denver a few years ago and a healthy scratch right before he blew up. So an open mind and open list I think is the way to go. Somebody's going hit. Reading the tea leaves and finding out who a week before he does so he costs you a $1 FAAB bid vs $50 is the tricky (and fun) part.

Even in a small league with deep rosters. I doubt very any people are going to have a bunch of these guys on their bench. As you mentioned, a lot of it has to do with individual situations which will dictate who and how many people decide upon. I like your individual takes, but I think the big list is the way to go. In a 14 team league, someone may have to go pretty far down the lottery ticket wannabe list to sins someone that's rosterable and if we restrict it to a handful of names, then we'll likely restrict analysis from the masses and potential availability.

There'll be names that will disappear due to injury, etc and names that appear and rise up the charts too. CJA was an afterthought in Denver a few years ago and a healthy scratch right before he blew up. So an open mind and open list I think is the way to go. Somebody's going hit. Reading the tea leaves and finding out who a week before he does so he costs you a $1 FAAB bid vs $50 is the tricky (and fun) part.

You are right, in that an open mind and "open list" is a good way to go. But I think that open/big list is more appropriate and useful before the season starts, like when SSND wrote this.

Look back at the original list, you can essentially factor out half right now in most leagues, since they are gone or can only be had in trade.

Out of the top 21 (the whole list), you can already basically "ignore" these names, since they are likely long gone. Henry, McKinnon, Charles Sims, Coleman, Michael, Ware, Yeldon, Starks (most leagues know to get him as the GB handcuff) and with Stewart out, lets go out on a limb and say that CAP is gone, and /or the unlisted Whittaker. There is a good chance Morris is gone as well, since not only did he snag a TD last week but most redrafters will try and draft a high-end handcuff, especially if its a rookie like EZE.

Regardless, every league is different. Some will be available in some leagues, and others will be long gone in yet others. I alluded to before, possibly making this an ever-evolving topic. IMO, this is a great idea for a pinned thread, where we can pop in and out of it weekly and we can bump ideas off one another at who the more current tickets to pursue may be.

TZM

You are right, in that an open mind and "open list" is a good way to go. But I think that open/big list is more appropriate and useful before the season starts, like when SSND wrote this.

Look back at the original list, you can essentially factor out half right now in most leagues, since they are gone or can only be had in trade.

Out of the top 21 (the whole list), you can already basically "ignore" these names, since they are likely long gone. Henry, McKinnon, Charles Sims, Coleman, Michael, Ware, Yeldon, Starks (most leagues know to get him as the GB handcuff) and with Stewart out, lets go out on a limb and say that CAP is gone, and /or the unlisted Whittaker. There is a good chance Morris is gone as well, since not only did he snag a TD last week but most redrafters will try and draft a high-end handcuff, especially if its a rookie like EZE.

Regardless, every league is different. Some will be available in some leagues, and others will be long gone in yet others. I alluded to before, possibly making this an ever-evolving topic. IMO, this is a great idea for a pinned thread, where we can pop in and out of it weekly and we can bump ideas off one another at who the more current tickets to pursue may be.

TZM
Agree. As small as appropriate there may be weeks especially later in the year, when there's only a few guys and more, especially preseason, when there's a bunch. One to add for this week is Per Ian Rappoport (someone also posted this somewhere on the SP)  "Dolphins will treat RB Kenyan Drake as starter vs Browns" . Whether that means he takes the first series and doesn't sniff the field after Ajay, who knows. But at least it appears he's going to get a legitimate shot.

If I had to narrow this to 5 or so, this is sort of what my list would look like now.

Jordan Howard - I wrote about this in 1-2 other places. This is likely the last day or two you can get him cheap! Snag him before the games start tomorrow and waivers close. Drop some bench trash, your 5th WR (you will never start), a secondary QB or TE, a second defense (my personal favorite LOL) whatever it is that you aren't going to use and nab Howard or someone like this. So what if he misses, you can pick up your second TE, QB or whatever the Hell type bench trash you think you need you can pick them up once waivers reopen later in the week. 

Here is exactly what I wrote on Howard in another thread -

Langford's sloppy fumble didn't go unnoticed. I saw how bad it was live, and I am sure Fox (who was already grumbling the prior week) took note as well. I know everyone always talks about his non-faith and trust in rookies, but he was already voicing displeasure last week prior to that ugly fumble. The beat writers are expecting "more work" for Howard ,  and he has looked good in limited carries thus far. One more slip up from Langford, (combined with some good production from Howard) and I think he will be seeing Langford sit the bench soon. Lets face it, much of the reason we saw Langford last year is because he was essentially the "last man standing". He was never great by any stretch, merely sufficient. His playoff schedule is week 13 SF, week 14 DET , week 15 GB , week  16 WAS . I notice good schedules around that time of year, do you?

Devontae Booker - may well be the ultimate shark "hold".  CJ Anderson has gotten 20 touches each week thus far, and 3 or 4 catches each week as well. This is a big workload, and lets face it, the guy has had problems staying healthy. Its as if everyone is forgetting his nicked up times last season.  The Broncs schedule isn't the greatest, but that heavy workload would be nice down the stretch.  "Solid RB 2" numbers are pure gold late season when the injuries are piling up. In this case, the workload alone may bring you that. Weeks 8-9-10 look especially juicy.

Kenneth Dixon - Has been dropped in many redraft leagues or was simply never drafted.   He is owned in only 12% of Yahoo leagues, and 14% of ESPN leagues, so he is available somewhere.  I hate the situation there with the carousel of Raven RBs, but the ones currently running the ball look awful. This may take a bit of faith and playing the waiting game, but in 4-5 weeks it could be solid.

Kenneth Farrow - I know many will not agree on this one. Often people say he is just not as "talented" as some of the others. The tape I have seen make him out to be more of a solid (but not flashy), all around back. But he can catch passes, he is a slightly bigger back, and in the event of Gordon going down, he should get all the work near the stripe too, where they need a bigger guy.  Dexter McCluster is not that type of back. I'm not taking anything away from him, but I just don't see him as big enough to take a pounding. Farrow has over 40 pounds on McCluster.  Remember, in a week we can outright cut this Farrow guy. I happen to have Melvin Gordon in a few spots, and in most of those I have now obtained Farrow, fully prepared to drop him this week early if he doesn't look the part, or if he won't get any work.

I know thats only 4, but there are cases to be made for a number of backs honestly. I think its important to remember that this should also mesh well with your team structure, something a few owners tend to ignore. Suppose you start Rivers and Gates.... I would be far less inclined to sit on Farrow, and I would look elsewhere.

One that is flying under everyone's radar currently is Shaun Draughn . He got 7 carries one week, and 9 another. So not only will he get most of the work if Hyde goes down (would that shock you if Hyde got hurt??) Draughn is already getting a little bit of work as it stands. Draughn is 3% owned on Yahoo .  Thats ridiculous. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe he was serviceable at times when needed last year.

TZM
@TZMarkie - You speak my mind friend on the philosophy of this thread - let's keep it going, adjusting after each week's of games.  That was what I was thinking - what are the top 4/5  Lottery Tickets at RB in the opinion of each poster. And I like your list.

I am currently have Booker (I am a CJ owner), Howard and B. Powell. So that's 2 Lottery Tickets I have made room for on my bench.  This week I dropped Draughn for Howard as Howard's chances of a bigger role have increased whereas with Draughn I have to wait for an injury.  I know that is what I am doing with Powell but his potential just seems so juicy watching Forte's usage.

Another vote here to keep this thread active for the season.  I don't assume that SSND has any more free time than I do (just about none), but perhaps a weekly (Tuesday?) official update to the original post wouldn't be asking too much?  And some weeks would certainly not require any update.  Of course we would chime in with any helpful news or comments.  A simple comment might accompany changes (comments removed following week to be replaced by new comments as needed).  This is an idea of what the weekly update might look like. 

2. J. McKinnon (MIN) - freaky freak - moves into starting role
  6. D. Washington (OAK) - would be working with a good OL and passes the eye test - getting increased work
  7. J. Howard (CHI) - no passing game role winds of change blowing?
  8. D. Booker (DEN) - projects as a 3-down back and I like what I've seen in the preseason
  9. T. Yeldon - Ivory's injury history
  10. C. Johnson (ARI) - candidate for 20+ touches
  11. C. Artis-Payne (CAR) - realistically needs a Newton injury as well as a Stewart injury
  12. B. Powell (NYJ) - skill set suited to PPR
  13. J. Ajayi (MIA) - Foster's injury history
  14. K.Drake (Mia) Starting over J.Ajayi
  15. R. Kelley (WAS) - I'm gonna pee on youuu
  16. A. Morris (DAL) - a mailbox could rush for 4+ ypc behind DAL's OL
  17. S. Draughn (SF) - PPR
  18. P. Perkins - the latest NYG backfield dark horse 
  19. A. Blue (HOU) - looks like he's running in mud
  20. B. Cunningham (STL) - Rams suck
Removed from list

• J. Starks (GB) - I/R
  • S. Ware (KC) - New sheriff in town. Jamaal Charles traded.
Updated September 27, 2016

After another weekend of games and another round of waivers here is my updated "RB Lottery Ticket" list.

Per @TZMarkie "best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload" (I would add talent in there - look what Rawls did with a terrible SEA OL last year).

D. Booker
D. Henry
K. Dixon
S. Draughn
B. Powell
A. Morris

Farrow <-- I am mentioning Farrow out of respect for TZMarkie but I don't know much about him and the SD running offense is fading.

Your thoughts?

After another weekend of games and another round of waivers here is my updated "RB Lottery Ticket" list.

Per @TZMarkie "best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload" (I would add talent in there - look what Rawls did with a terrible SEA OL last year).

D. Booker
D. Henry
K. Dixon
S. Draughn
B. Powell
A. Morris

Farrow <-- I am mentioning Farrow out of respect for TZMarkie but I don't know much about him and the SD running offense is fading.

Your thoughts?
What do you think about dropping Rawls for Booker? 

I just checked and he is available in my league. 

Roto..

Wendell Smallwood - RB - Eagles
Coach Doug Pederson had nothing but praise for rookie RB Wendell Smallwood's performance following the Week 3 win over the Steelers.
"He's the same type of runner that we felt he was coming out of college and what we saw in preseason," said Pederson. "He's a big, powerful guy. He's a downhill guy. He's a one-cut runner. He did a great job for us." At the link below, Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski broke down a bunch of Smallwood's runs from the win, and his burst through the hole was incredible. He also showed great awareness to stay in bounds on a 3rd-and-7 run late in the fourth quarter to keep the clock moving. "To get the first down and stay in bounds as a rookie is tremendous," said Pederson. Smallwood missed much of training camp with a quad injury, but he looks poised to take on a big role in this backfield with Ryan Mathews again banged up and struggling to make plays.

Source: Philly Voice

Thoughts on Lamar Miller's handcuff after Week 3?  I drafted Ervin with the expectation that he would be the 'cuff but I doubt the coaches trust him much after his performance against the Patriots.  Is it him or Grimes (not Blue, please God not Blue) that would get the majority of carries if Miller were to go down?

Thoughts on Lamar Miller's handcuff after Week 3?  I drafted Ervin with the expectation that he would be the 'cuff but I doubt the coaches trust him much after his performance against the Texans.  Is it him or Grimes (not Blue, please God not Blue) that would get the majority of carries if Miller were to go down?
IMO it would be the dreaded RBBC unless one of those guys emerged (which I doubt).

Smallwood looked really good.  Way better than Mathews has and I think barner is just a cop back.  If you got room he's not a bad one to bet on

Mathews gets hurt alot as well

So here is the current list in no particular order:

• D. Booker
  • D. Henry
  • K. Dixon
  • S. Draughn
  • B. Powell
  • A. Morris
  • Smallwood

So here is the current list in no particular order:

• D. Booker
  • D. Henry
  • K. Dixon
  • S. Draughn
  • B. Powell
  • A. Morris
  • Smallwood

Appreciate the mention on Farrow.  But I did mention "I am fully prepared to drop this guy if he doesn't look the part.

I do want to mention, when I first considered Farrow, there was no McCluster#### in the picture. But then again, he certainly isn't the answer either.

After this last weekend, I don't know if Farrow is much more than an emergency plan if Gordon is injured. I think he was active, but he never saw a snap, at least I don't think so.

I think its safe to say he is just a desperate play if Gordon goes down. Thats not too far out of the realm of possibility though.  I still struggle with holding a guy like this, in a league where I am "kinda thin" at RB. I like having that protection, in the event several injuries happen. I have already lost Woodhead AND Ameer Abdullah in that league, and I know many owners are in similar scenarios.

God thing I added Jordan Howard 2 weeks ago in that league though huh..?    :yes:

I do think we need to add in someone that is going criminally under noticed.   MIKE GILLISLEE   He is mentioned absolutely nowhere.

He is the perfect candidate for this list. (he sticks in my mind since I have LeSean McCoy on that same team)

He is essentially a desperation add...or is he?  If you have McCoy, he is seemingly the clear handcuff.  Reggie Bush is likely on the bench for good. The team is basically just a run-run-run team currently, and not only that Sammy Watkins can't stay healthy.

Say what you want, but whoever steps in there, in the sad event of McCoy going down will be instantly fantasy relevant.

I don't know any of us are desperate enough to be worried about rostering Mike Gillislee, but all it would take is a single injury and then he would be a hot waiver wire add.

In any leagues where you have McCoy, you had better be putting Gillislee on your radar.

TZM

Honestly, PHI situation is ultimate RBBC, only the committee is big.  Impossible to predict week to week.
Mathews is already on the outs....I just feel it. He's always dinged up....He's not the kind of runner who has any vision or wiggle....he's a straight line power runner.

When I watched the Eagles game highlights, I noticed two things. Smallwood has great vision and the ability to make quick cuts....and he got double the amount of the opportunities as Barner, who has been on the team for three years now I believe.

So.....If Mathews goes down....which is already happening.....Smallwood is going to get the ball. Sproles is a complimentary back. He is great when he is mixed in to games...but he is not the kind of back that is going to get the ball 20 plus times a game.

Also....it's a rookie QB. And while he is having success right now.....DC's are watching tape and are figuring out his weaknesses. When they do, the league always catches up...the Eagles will lean on their running game. I see a ton of upside with Smallwood.

Appreciate the mention on Farrow.  But I did mention "I am fully prepared to drop this guy if he doesn't look the part.

I do want to mention, when I first considered Farrow, there was no McCluster#### in the picture. But then again, he certainly isn't the answer either.

After this last weekend, I don't know if Farrow is much more than an emergency plan if Gordon is injured. I think he was active, but he never saw a snap, at least I don't think so.

I think its safe to say he is just a desperate play if Gordon goes down. Thats not too far out of the realm of possibility though.  I still struggle with holding a guy like this, in a league where I am "kinda thin" at RB. I like having that protection, in the event several injuries happen. I have already lost Woodhead AND Ameer Abdullah in that league, and I know many owners are in similar scenarios.

God thing I added Jordan Howard 2 weeks ago in that league though huh..?    :yes:

I do think we need to add in someone that is going criminally under noticed.   MIKE GILLISLEE   He is mentioned absolutely nowhere.

He is the perfect candidate for this list. (he sticks in my mind since I have LeSean McCoy on that same team)

He is essentially a desperation add...or is he?  If you have McCoy, he is seemingly the clear handcuff.  Reggie Bush is likely on the bench for good. The team is basically just a run-run-run team currently, and not only that Sammy Watkins can't stay healthy.

Say what you want, but whoever steps in there, in the sad event of McCoy going down will be instantly fantasy relevant.

I don't know any of us are desperate enough to be worried about rostering Mike Gillislee, but all it would take is a single injury and then he would be a hot waiver wire add.

In any leagues where you have McCoy, you had better be putting Gillislee on your radar.

TZM
This is a great post and I couldn't agree more

Mathews is already on the outs....I just feel it. He's always dinged up....He's not the kind of runner who has any vision or wiggle....he's a straight line power runner.

When I watched the Eagles game highlights, I noticed two things. Smallwood has great vision and the ability to make quick cuts....and he got double the amount of the opportunities as Barner, who has been on the team for three years now I believe.

So.....If Mathews goes down....which is already happening.....Smallwood is going to get the ball. Sproles is a complimentary back. He is great when he is mixed in to games...but he is not the kind of back that is going to get the ball 20 plus times a game.

Also....it's a rookie QB. And while he is having success right now.....DC's are watching tape and are figuring out his weaknesses. When they do, the league always catches up...the Eagles will lean on their running game. I see a ton of upside with Smallwood.
Mathews is averaging 3.1 ypc....with his constant dings, it may be only a matter of time.  Barner is a really good back, but he is best suited as a COP/sproles type of back.  

Here is a quote from Pederson "Wendell did an excellent job between the tackles and Kenjon off tackle and, of course, Darren can do a little bit of everything."

Smallwood is the backup to an a currently underperforming injury prone guy and the coaches seem to really like him....

I feel there could be a resurgence for James White to make an impact when Brady gets back under center. Brady can make the progressions where the rest of the QBs on the Patriots can't. Do you feel like taking a shot on White? I'm thinking it could become a strong possibility for White to finally take on the Dion Lewis/Danny Woodhead/Kevin Faulk role that is now missing.---- I'm stuck between picking him up or Smallwood TBH.

Gillislee is absolutely worth a mention on the lottery ticket scale TZ great call.  He looked good end of last year and in his limited action this year.  I think he is the clear lead guy if Lesean misses time (lesean looks extremely spry this year so far woot!!).  Jon Williams would probably factor in somehow but Gillislee is the man.  Reggie Bush a nonfactor.

I own Lesean and someone else in my deep roster league has Gilislee.  I'm efforting to acquire.

Just to bump, updated the list (no particular order):

• D. Booker DEN
  • D. Henry TEN
  • K. Dixon BAL
  • S. Draughn SF
  • B. Powell NYJ
  • A. Morris DAL
  • Smallwood PHI
  • Gillislee BUF (good call @TZMarkie)
Honorable Mention:  Farrow SD

Are we sure Gillslee is the guy after McCoy or would it be Williams? Sounds like Bush is going to be released or traded soon. I've heard good things in the preseason about Williams but either haven't heard anything about Gillsless or haven't been paying attention. BTW, McCoy looks great. Amazing that a bone on bone guy can keep trucking at a high level for multiple years after that revelation. 

Are we sure Gillslee is the guy after McCoy or would it be Williams? Sounds like Bush is going to be released or traded soon. I've heard good things in the preseason about Williams but either haven't heard anything about Gillsless or haven't been paying attention. BTW, McCoy looks great. Amazing that a bone on bone guy can keep trucking at a high level for multiple years after that revelation. 
It is. Hines ward didnt have an acl in one of his knees. The human body is amazing.

Spiller could be interesting in SEA
Personally I'd consider Rawls to be the candidate for RB Lottery Ticket status if Michael goes down  - pending his recovery of course- aka K Dixon BAL.

seems to me it would be Rawls over Spiller if Michl gets injured down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread