What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Uber loses 1.2 billion in 6 months (1 Viewer)

When you step back and look at what service the actual company provides, it's unbelievable that they lose money....much less 2 billion.  They link dudes that need rides with dudes that provide rides.  How the hell do you lose money doing that?
Did you not read the article????

Uber had reportedly lost about $2 billion in China in the last two years.

I'm guessing they're also losing a lot of money on services like UberPool. My wife has been in the car as the only passenger during NYC rush hour, it can take 30-45 mins to get where she needs to be, and it's a flat $5. They have to be subsidizing the driver there (know some people on here drive, maybe they can speak to that although maybe it's area dependent). Long term though they're likely very happy with that level of hit in order to get people using the service.

I'm also getting a lot more flat guaranteed rates when using UberX. Also curious how it works out with the driver there. 

When you step back and look at what service the actual company provides, it's unbelievable that they lose money....much less 2 billion.  They link dudes that need rides with dudes that provide rides.  How the hell do you lose money doing that?
The cloud infrastructure that's talking to your phone ain't free.

Just cannot see it as a solid long term investment.

What are they doing that any other app can't do?

I don't even use them, I use Lyft.

Just cannot see it as a solid long term investment.

I don't even use them, I use Lyft.
That's part of the article's argument. They're extremely overvalued and there's a big burst coming. Uber is perhaps going to be the biggest of them all. 

There should be a minimum car requirement...  just basics.

Must be in the last 5 to 6 year models.

Must have air conditioning.

Must not smell like a sewer.
At first I believe there was. Car had to be no more than 6 or 7 years old. I knew a guy who did it and he said they actually came and inspected his car. That's obviously gone away. 

There should be a minimum car requirement...  just basics.

Must be in the last 5 to 6 year models.

Must have air conditioning.

Must not smell like a sewer.
At first I believe there was. Car had to be no more than 6 or 7 years old. I knew a guy who did it and he said they actually came and inspected his car. That's obviously gone away. 
Was going to ask how they enforce the proposed rules.  Obviously the bold is not scale-able.  Perhaps requiring feedback on the vehicle before your next ride or some such?

That's part of the article's argument. They're extremely overvalued and there's a big burst coming. Uber is perhaps going to be the biggest of them all. 
I've used Uber all over the world, including Paris and Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.  They are spending a ton of money right now to get set up in these other markets, but once that's done they will be raking in cash worldwide.  Once driverless cars hit the road they will be able to cut out the money going to the driver and collect the entire fee.

I'm guessing they're also losing a lot of money on services like UberPool. My wife has been in the car as the only passenger during NYC rush hour, it can take 30-45 mins to get where she needs to be, and it's a flat $5. They have to be subsidizing the driver there (know some people on here drive, maybe they can speak to that although maybe it's area dependent). Long term though they're likely very happy with that level of hit in order to get people using the service.

I'm also getting a lot more flat guaranteed rates when using UberX. Also curious how it works out with the driver there. 
Yes, they subsidize UberPool. I believe the driver gets the normal amount even if they don't pick anyone up. 

What is not to like? They are so much easier and more reliable to deal with. When you are outside of the city/airport, it is near impossible to have a cab get to you within an hour. Uber/Lyft is under 20 minutes. I do agree that Uber drivers have been slipping of late with their requirements/cars. Seems like Uber was a lot more stricter just a couple years back. 

All about market share right now. They wanna be synonymous with the act. You dont search for something on the web, you google it. You dont call for a ride, you uber a ride. 

What is not to like? They are so much easier and more reliable to deal with. When you are outside of the city/airport, it is near impossible to have a cab get to you within an hour. Uber/Lyft is under 20 minutes. I do agree that Uber drivers have been slipping of late with their requirements/cars. Seems like Uber was a lot more stricter just a couple years back. 
The cars are filthy. The cars stink. The cars are old and gross. The drivers are bitter ###holes because uber is squeezing them. Maybe they're a victim of their early success because it isn't the same product now. 

The cars are filthy. The cars stink. The cars are old and gross. The drivers are bitter ###holes because uber is squeezing them. Maybe they're a victim of their early success because it isn't the same product now. 
So what's different with cabs? Im not saying Uber is great but I think it's a better option that what we currently have (cabs).

Plus Uber/Lyft is cheaper when you travel outside the city. Cabs are at least $10 more any trip outside of the expressway loop around my house. 

AnonymousBob said:
If you exclude China they still lost money. Only at a lower rate. It's mentioned in this article you didn't read but are commenting on. 
Ok, should have read it first but the article doesn't discuss results excluding china. Not saying it is a good investment but they sold China business on August 1 so most of first half had china is baked in.  Of course since it is a private company it is hard to know what its real results are.  

Maybe that's the long term plan.  

#1:  get people used to the concept.  (using an app for easy transport)

#2:  get people pissed not at Uber but the Uber drivers (car is dirty, drivers are bitter, service is poor)

#3: solve that problem with self-driving Uber.

In this market Wall Street will value them at $400Billion - pre-IPO

Last edited by a moderator:
Last few uberx rides I've taken were pretty bad.  But I still don't get how they are losing billions of dollars.  How expensive can it be to charge someone a fee to use an app?

So what's different with cabs? Im not saying Uber is great but I think it's a better option that what we currently have (cabs).

Plus Uber/Lyft is cheaper when you travel outside the city. Cabs are at least $10 more any trip outside of the expressway loop around my house. 
Cabs are more expensive, cars are in worse condition, and the drivers don't care about you since they'll never see you again and you can't give them a rating.  Every time I see a cab I think "they're still in business?".

Ok, should have read it first but the article doesn't discuss results excluding china. Not saying it is a good investment but they sold China business on August 1 so most of first half had china is baked in.  Of course since it is a private company it is hard to know what its real results are.  
I killed my comment because felt it was being a touch snarky and detracting from the point of the article itself. My apologies and thanks for not harping on that. 

It says they've lost about 2 billion in China past two years. They're losing 2.5 billion this year alone. 

You're right it's hard to know the details but it sure seems their losses are stemming from a lot more than just China and their valuation is absurdly high. 

I killed my comment because felt it was being a touch snarky and detracting from the point of the article itself. My apologies and thanks for not harping on that. 

It says they've lost about 2 billion in China past two years. They're losing 2.5 billion this year alone. 

You're right it's hard to know the details but it sure seems their losses are stemming from a lot more than just China and their valuation is absurdly high. 
My issue is the $2.5 billion number they create doesn't make sense.  You lose 1.2 billion for first half year (so result through June 30) and a big part of that loss is from China.  Second half of year they won't have those Chinese losses since China deal happened Aug 1 so to  just double the 1.2 billion loss to get to $2.5 billion doesn't make sense.  I do remember reading an article saying they made a profit in USA in Q1 but a lose of about $100M in USA in quarter 2.  Don't recall if they said overall in first half of year they made money in the USA.  I imagine they have losses elsewhere outside the USA and not just China but that $2.5 billion estimate for full year loss is probably off base.  I have also read they have about 8 billion in cash on their balance sheet as of June 30 and got $1 billion coming to them due to China deal so they have a lot of cash on hand to make them profitable before they go public.  I will try to dig up the article.  Not saying that they are in great shape I just don't buy that $2.5 billion number from what I have read.  

Also, no worries about your post.  I should have read the article fully as it actually doesn't cover results by area well at all.    

Speculation at its finest.  It exists everywhere. Don't value the company or stock on what it is worth. Value it on what you think it might be worth. 

If you find out you are wrong, short the false value (that you helped drive up) and profit. 

They are losing money on purpose. YOu raise that much money to accelerate growth (buying market share) in an effort to become a monopoly.  So they give away free rides and overcompensate idle drivers in an effort to make Uber the go-to service. The problem is that Lyft is keeping pace better than expected and smaller services available in fewer locations can focus on delivering a premium experience and crowding out Uber.

The end game is self-driving cars where compensating drivers (who get 80% of the fare) is replaced by a much smaller uptick in Opex (fleet management and maintenance).  In ten years some company - Uber, Lyft, Google (just annoucned their service yesterday) - is going to be the default "hey, I need a ride" app.  

They are losing money on purpose. YOu raise that much money to accelerate growth (buying market share) in an effort to become a monopoly.  So they give away free rides and overcompensate idle drivers in an effort to make Uber the go-to service. The problem is that Lyft is keeping pace better than expected and smaller services available in fewer locations can focus on delivering a premium experience and crowding out Uber.

The end game is self-driving cars where compensating drivers (who get 80% of the fare) is replaced by a much smaller uptick in Opex (fleet management and maintenance).  In ten years some company - Uber, Lyft, Google (just annoucned their service yesterday) - is going to be the default "hey, I need a ride" app.  
Free rides in the self driving cars in Pittsburgh now. 

Any app can direct drivers. Not every company has a critical mass of drivers that's required to get folks to trust the network for consistent, reliable transportation. 

I thought they are discounting their fares to grab as much market share upfront in each market.
This. 

I've used Uber all over the world, including Paris and Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.  They are spending a ton of money right now to get set up in these other markets, but once that's done they will be raking in cash worldwide.  Once driverless cars hit the road they will be able to cut out the money going to the driver and collect the entire fee.
Also this.. global expansion isn't cheap. We all know there are pockets to grease, lobbying to be done, legal fees to be paid, etc... for every country they enter. 

Any app can direct drivers. Not every company has a critical mass of drivers that's required to get folks to trust the network for consistent, reliable transportation. 

Meh.  They aren't the only ones that have this, and drivers double dip on Uber and Lyft all the time. 

I don't see a shortage of drivers for other apps as a problem.  

I wonder how a monopoly happens with this market. Every car service has an app.  There's an app in NYC that lets you call a regular old yellow cab.  

Maybe down the road there's an app that lets any driver connect with any passenger on the app, and the driver submits a bid for the ride. Anyone with a car, heading somewhere? Someone wants to go close?  5 bucks.  See ya in a sec.  Prices will get driven down more and more, I don't see Uber competition going away.  

Meh.  They aren't the only ones that have this, and drivers double dip on Uber and Lyft all the time. 

I don't see a shortage of drivers for other apps as a problem.  

I wonder how a monopoly happens with this market. Every car service has an app.  There's an app in NYC that lets you call a regular old yellow cab.  

Maybe down the road there's an app that lets any driver connect with any passenger on the app, and the driver submits a bid for the ride. Anyone with a car, heading somewhere? Someone wants to go close?  5 bucks.  See ya in a sec.  Prices will get driven down more and more, I don't see Uber competition going away.  
I don't think NYC or SFO is a good metric for how viable a service like this is. For these services to thrive they have to be ubiquitous in any reasonably populated area (including suburbs. MANY Parts of the coutry, lyft has far fewer drivers, so customers default to using Uber to source a ride after a certain number of times opening the app to find no drivers.  

Critical mass of drivers in ALL parts of the country (not just major metro areas) is critical, and in MOST areas I've used these apps, Uber is doing a much better  job of reliably having drivers quickly responding and getting to the pickup in a timely manner. 

Lyft is desperate to sell - I think there is too much competition for them and they know they will be squeezed out with Google entering the market. 

In 10 years there will be an app that lets to you schedule a driverless car any time of the day from any service.  I suspect Uber will be there and wouldn't bet against Google.  Uber has an easy path to driverless cars because it will simply be a choice like their other options.

Given all of the different city/county rules and regulations around taxis their legal costs must be astronomical.

I wonder how Uber will handle driverless cars - will they own their own fleet, or require third parties to "submit" their car to the Uber community for use?  If Uber has its own fleet, the money that they are now paying the drivers (perhaps even more money) will be spent on buying and maintaining the Uber fleet.

I see Uber's future role as the coordinator of driverless cars via their app - for which you will have to pay to use, as well as paying the applicable fee for the ride.

I wonder how Uber will handle driverless cars - will they own their own fleet, or require third parties to "submit" their car to the Uber community for use?  If Uber has its own fleet, the money that they are now paying the drivers (perhaps even more money) will be spent on buying and maintaining the Uber fleet.

I see Uber's future role as the coordinator of driverless cars via their app - for which you will have to pay to use, as well as paying the applicable fee for the ride.
I expect they will buy their own fleet.  I'm not a driver but I'd estimate they keep 80% after gas and maintenance expense.  With a driverless car Uber would have some extra expenses (cleaning and storing cars) but nowhere near what drivers are keeping after expenses.

That's a lot of cars to buy.
Eventually they will have a lot but they will introduce them slowly. 

Also, driverless cars can run 24 hours a day, effectively doing the job of two to three Uber drivers.

Right now, the drivers are subsidizing Uber, by taking on the costs of insurance, maintenance, gas/charging (not only paying for it, but physically getting it done), phone bills, depreciation, etc. Those costs get shifted onto Uber when they buy their fleet of driverless cars. If they're losing a billion and a half dollars now while avoiding those costs, is there somehow going to be enough magic profit when the driverless future finally arrives to cover all that?

I don't know. Right now it seems they're in the magic bubble of being a "valuable company" while not producing anything nor turning a profit. I guess the question is whether they have enough cash to burn through to wait it out until the driverless future arrives. If they get this super fleet in three years, maybe they do. But if it's 10 or 20 years until the real driverless world emerges, then things don't look so rosy.
There's no 'magic profit' - they get to keep what drivers earn after paying their expenses and can run the car 2 to 3 times as much as a single driver can.

Let's say an Uber rider pays $10 for a ride.  $2 of that goes to Uber.  The driver gets $8 and spends $3 on expenses/taxes.  The driver then gets to keep $5 as his net profit.  With a driverless car Uber gets that $5 so they earn $7 in net profit for every $10 ride.

I mean, that's gotta be the bulk of the losses, right? What else are they spending money on? It's a logistics/brokering company, once the platform is established and the software written, where are all these massive outlays going?
These losses are inflated because they were forced to write off their business in China.  Their normal losses can be sustained as long as private investors keep pumping cash into them.

They are in a number of lawsuits trying to keep their drivers as contractors as well.  If they lose that fight the next step is likely unions.

They have quite a few obstacles to overcome before they get to driverless car fleet.

We know their long term goal is the driverless car but now instead of paying a driver, they would still have to pay the owners of driverless cars. Would it scale from a cost perspective to buy/lease, operate, and maintain a global fleet of their own driverless cars? Uber offered a leasing program to UberX drivers through a subsidiary but all Uber cars are still owned or leased by the drivers.

I'm not really interested in a driverless car in my life. Too many ####ing whackos out there texting and getting hand jobs while they drive to be ok with that. 

Users who are viewing this thread