What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense** Weeks 14-16 FF Playoffs (1 Viewer)

I don't have any faith in them on the road and they are coming off a week where they got 0 sacks and 0 turnovers at home. Seems feast or famine, will either get you 20 or nothing. Other options might be more likely to give you a safe 10.
Yup in my league's scoring Philly D has scored the following points starting from week 1:   11, 10, 17, 6, 14, 24, 3, 4, 5, 3, 0.     Not a good trend.

i secured the bye and preparing for weeks 15 and 16.  Was I crazy to drop Tampa and Tenn for SAN FRAN AND DETROIT'S DEFENSE FOR DETROIT AGAINST THE GIANTS WEEK 15 AND SAN FRAN AGAINST SAINT LOUIS IN WEEK 16.  TENN IS JUST AWFUL ON DEF AND TAMPA IS PLAYING DAL AND NO. ALSO PITT JUST GOT DROPPED IS PITT BETTER THAN EITHER OF THOSE?

WHAT SAY YOU?
I say please stop shouting, it's rude.

And the Giants aren't really a good matchup for Detroit IMO.

Also San Francisco may be a good play but it's in Los Angeles, it's the Rams only reasonable chance to win another game this year and they probably haven't forgotten about the ### kicking they suffered in San Francisco to open the season.

Good points on Eagles D.  I am scrambling to find something to plug in this week (Vikes D owner) and Eagles, Bears, SF are the best of the bunch.

Is anyone considering San Diego's defense?  They have been doing surprisingly well.  I think they have a good chance for some turnovers.

I've had the Vikings D all year and it's been great not having to stream but I feel I need to this week.  It's the first round of my playoffs and I need to put up big points against a guy I'm 0-3 against.  The Bengals and Bucs seem to be my best options this week.  I think I'd rather start the Bengals.
Went with the Bengals myself.  Reeling Philly on the road (1 - 5) with a rookie QB and a short work week.  And getting the Browns next week sealed it for me.  Facing Osweiler in W16 doesn't hurt either.

Is anyone considering San Diego's defense?  They have been doing surprisingly well.  I think they have a good chance for some turnovers.
Bosa makes a big difference for them, so I think they are legit. I think TB is not a great matchup as their fantasy points allowed is skewed by some early season mishaps. Would rather face a defeated team than a surging one. A good defense at home is always startable, but I don't think it is great.

Yup in my league's scoring Philly D has scored the following points starting from week 1:   11, 10, 17, 6, 14, 24, 3, 4, 5, 3, 0.     Not a good trend.
It seems like the Eagles' corners are getting more and more exposed each week.  I guess it will depend on whether Schwartz has any more tricks up his sleeve to compensate and/or whether Dalton can really make them pay.   Looks like Cincy is near the bottom in adjusted sack rate, so with no Green, it seems plausible that the Eagles D could do relatively well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I've had the Vikings D all year and it's been great not having to stream but I feel I need to this week.  It's the first round of my playoffs and I need to put up big points against a guy I'm 0-3 against.  The Bengals and Bucs seem to be my best options this week.  I think I'd rather start the Bengals.
I sit the Vikings and they go off. This week I have the Pats taking on the Rams. Should be a no-brainer, but alas...

Bosa makes a big difference for them, so I think they are legit. I think TB is not a great matchup as their fantasy points allowed is skewed by some early season mishaps. Would rather face a defeated team than a surging one. A good defense at home is always startable, but I don't think it is great.
Been watching SD games a lot this year, and Bosa has indeed been a huge impact player that has at times put the D on his shoulders. He doesn't get the press others have been getting because their own division is stacked with DPOY candidates (Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Marcus Peters), but Bosa should definitely get some due respect.

That said, agree with @thriftyrocker given the matchup, which may be slightly a little more tough sledding than expected for an opportunistic SD D at home: they are much better defending the run than the pass, and TB has weapons to exploit. Doug Martin is coming back to form which will keep the D honest, and Winston has an elite stud in Evans and some opportunistic receivers themselves in Shepard and Humphries (as well as Brate).

SD may be a good start this week, but wouldn't call them a great start.

i secured the bye and preparing for weeks 15 and 16.  Was I crazy to drop Tampa and Tenn for SAN FRAN AND DETROIT'S DEFENSE FOR DETROIT AGAINST THE GIANTS WEEK 15 AND SAN FRAN AGAINST SAINT LOUIS IN WEEK 16.  TENN IS JUST AWFUL ON DEF AND TAMPA IS PLAYING DAL AND NO. ALSO PITT JUST GOT DROPPED IS PITT BETTER THAN EITHER OF THOSE?

WHAT SAY YOU?
I think Detroit week 15 is a horrible idea.  The Giants can put points up and they are fighting for a playoff berth.  They need to win 2 of their next 5 to have a shot at the playoffs and I am sure Detroit is one they will get.  Or at least it will be a shootout. 

For week 15 I took Houston (vs Jax) and San Diego for week 16 (vs Cleveland).

WHAT SAY YOU?

Last edited by a moderator:
just dropped the eagles for dallas.  i have detroit stashed for next week and hope to pick up SD next week.  :scrambling:

still need one for week 15

just dropped the eagles for dallas.  i have detroit stashed for next week and hope to pick up SD next week.  :scrambling:

still need one for week 15
Buffalo is playing Cleveland in week 15 if they're available.  I play in two different 12 team leagues, buffalo is available in one of them (dropped yesterday for a waiver WR) and I have a claim in just for that matchup. 

I've seen enough of the Eagles! Nice little run early to mid-season. Going with NE for this week with the matchup. Trouble with NE is...can you name me any real playmakers on defense or special teams that can take it to the house? I guess 2-3 sacks, 1-2 picks, and a recovered fumble is at least something versus the darn goose egg Phili put up last week at home!

So far, I'm going with the Dolphins. I am also considering either Cincy or the Packers.

Dropped Philly for Packers, then will drop Packers for HOU. I dumped some RB/WR dead weight to pickup CIN and SD.  So:

13-GB

14-CIN

15-HOU (Hopefuly, BUF is rostered)

16-SD

Anyone else feel dumb for sitting the Vikings defense last night?  I know I shouldn't feel that bad because I really think it was the smart thing to do considering the match up but it didn't go as planned.

It seems like the Eagles' corners are getting more and more exposed each week.  I guess it will depend on whether Schwartz has any more tricks up his sleeve to compensate and/or whether Dalton can really make them pay.   Looks like Cincy is near the bottom in adjusted sack rate, so with no Green, it seems plausible that the Eagles D could do relatively well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
I picked up the Eagles for exactly this reason. They're also still in the top five in weighted DVOA on defense and with no Bernard, a banged-up Hill, and Green out, I might go Philly over NE and Miami.

What say anybody?

So far, I'm going with the Dolphins. I am also considering either Cincy or the Packers.
Me likely also -- Considering SD, but as has been said here, TB is surging and think they will be able to score and control ball.  I also think SD could get a pick or 2, but still wouldn't be surprised if TB lays 35+ on them which for me is -4 points.  MIA-BALT should be more low scoring, Flacco will get sacked and will throw a pick -but as a homer, still want them to win.

I have Philly right now but have clinched a bye next week so I'm thinking of grabbing Houston for week 15 (home against JAX) and 16 (home against CIN).  Dolphins and Chargers are not available, I'm looking at teams like HOU, DET, LA, PIT.

I see people considering SD against TB, but is anyone thinking of using TB?  That defense has looked good and SD sometimes meltdowns with mistakes.

I see people considering SD against TB, but is anyone thinking of using TB?  That defense has looked good and SD sometimes meltdowns with mistakes.
The Bucs have been one of the top scoring defenses in my league since Week 7 and Rivers is prone to those types of games where he throws a few picks because he isn't afraid to be a gunslinger within his trust in his arm.

The only thing giving me some pause on starting them this week is that the Bucs D appears to play better at home versus on the road.

Any other FBG want to chime in here on the prospects of playing the Bucs this week as a streaming D option?

SF? Playing Chicago. There's nothing left on the wire. Bengals are there. Steelers. I have KC but don't feel good about them vs Atlanta.

The Bucs have been one of the top scoring defenses in my league since Week 7 and Rivers is prone to those types of games where he throws a few picks because he isn't afraid to be a gunslinger within his trust in his arm.

The only thing giving me some pause on starting them this week is that the Bucs D appears to play better at home versus on the road.

Any other FBG want to chime in here on the prospects of playing the Bucs this week as a streaming D option?
I looked at both TB and SD.  In the end I went with SD.  I just think SD has been a little more consistent and forcing turnovers.  I hope I'm right.

I looked at both TB and SD.  In the end I went with SD.  I just think SD has been a little more consistent and forcing turnovers.  I hope I'm right.
I keep waffling.   SD's defense has only had one game w/o a sack (Tenn) and only 2 w/o an INT (MIA and DEN) & 7 of 11 games with a FR --pretty opportunistic ...

I had never considered SD until last two or three pages of this thread because they never had a home run game this year. But they seem to have the highest floor of the defenses that could be available in most leagues so I went with them as well. I don't know about you guys, but my league doesn't allow transactions past week 13, so we're forced to go through playoffs with what we got. This was done on purpose to somewhat emulate the pain of losing a key player during playoffs. It sucks and it's awesome at the same time. So a team like SD works well for my setup to have a consistent production even if they don't have a realistic chance of scoring double digit points.

I had never considered SD until last two or three pages of this thread because they never had a home run game this year. But they seem to have the highest floor of the defenses that could be available in most leagues so I went with them as well. I don't know about you guys, but my league doesn't allow transactions past week 13, so we're forced to go through playoffs with what we got. This was done on purpose to somewhat emulate the pain of losing a key player during playoffs. It sucks and it's awesome at the same time. So a team like SD works well for my setup to have a consistent production even if they don't have a realistic chance of scoring double digit points.
Don't blame me if they tank :)   TB is playing well-- I'm back on MIA now --

It's been a wacky year. I used to make a killing streaming defenses, but not this year. Good match-ups on paper haven't come through and half the time I have a hard time ranking the defenses when it seemed pretty clear in the past.

OK, I'm officially out on Philly after that stinker. Back to streaming.

Looking at Week 14, there are good match-ups, but not great Ds. Best ones I see available in my league:

• Atlanta @ LA
  • Wash @ Philly
  • NYJ @ SF
  • Cinci @ Cleveland
  • Indy vs Houston
  • Det vs. Chicago
  • Tenn vs Denver (especially if Siemian sits again)
Seems like Cinci is the play, at least for next week. They finish with Pitt/@Hou, so would need someone else for Week 15.

In my other league, Cinci is already gone. Will probably go for Atlanta, Jets and Tenn, in that order.

Anyone else feel dumb for sitting the Vikings defense last night?  I know I shouldn't feel that bad because I really think it was the smart thing to do considering the match up but it didn't go as planned.
Pats worked out fine. I play Vikes about 75% and either Pats or whatever is juicy on the WW.

Scary thing is though they are simply an average defense at best.  Hope they can exploit those offenses.
Yeah, at this point I don't think there are many talented Ds available on a lot of WWs. (Maybe SD? But they just laid an egg at home.) So I think the balance shifts to playing match-ups over general talent.

Also, with match-ups, don't just look at season-long FFPA. What becomes very important at this point is when teams are just phoning it in. LA is in free fall. SF may be going back to Gabbert. And who knows what is going on with Carolina? Meanwhile, Atlanta is fighting for a playoff spot, so hopefully that leads to them putting the wood to inferior opponents and racking up sacks and TOs in the fourth quarter.

I'm definitely tempering my expectations. But as Matthew Berry likes to say, sometimes you don't need to be the prettiest girl at the bar, just the only girl left at the bar.

Green Bay in desperation mode could be a good play. It is hot garbage in the secondary so I wouldnt use them this week against Seattle even at home but fighting for their playoff lives in Chicago week 15 could be good.

I grabbed HOU last week to cover weeks 15 (home to Jags) and 16 (home to Bengals).  I have a bye this week and I'm tossing Philly back into the pool.

Users who are viewing this thread