What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Youth travel soccer, I don't know anything about soccer (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
So I was volunteered to coach my daughter's U8 travel soccer team this season.  First of all, it is a heck of a commitment with two practices per week (albeit one of those is done by some British trainer the league hires) plus a game every Sunday.   I've coached a bit of rec soccer and had a blast but that was more or less letting the kids scrimmage and wearing them out so they'd be good for their parents the rest of the day but now I'm in the big time and I don't know a forward from a halfback.   I know the very basic rules of soccer (can't touch the ball with your hands, corner kicks, throw the ball in with two hands without leaving your feet) but don't know a thing about strategy, formations, substitutions etc.    I can't figure out when a player is off sides and have no clue about any real soccer skills or drills.  Obviously I'm ill equipped to teach proper technique in passing or shooting let alone goalie technique

we've had three practices and so far it's gone fine but games are coming and I'm going to be exposed as a total hack in no time

Any help welcome and schtick suggested 

where are you, righetti? and where's the league/practice?

I played college soccer and some semi-pro... took a stab at Floppinho's u8 fun-league downton, and it was rough... but mostly because the league wasn't set up to practice or even have input from the "coaches" (who were basically substitution regulators). and even more because floppinho wanted nothing to do with me helping the other kids, or offering him advice. and further because floppinho really doesn't like soccer. man... it was really rough.

but I might be able to help out with some pointers, if you need. 

can I ask what kind of club is this? Usually you need a coaching license - http://www.ussoccer.com/coaching-education/licenses

Are they charging more for being on the travel squad? Seems pretty odd to have you as a coach if they are quality club.(no offense intended to you it's just your lack of license and knowledge)

If you are going to stay on this path - you may want to crash course it https://dcc.ussoccer.com/
I did have to get that license thing IIRC by it basically involved a background check and me sitting through a three hour online course on injuries and concussions 

can I ask what kind of club is this? Usually you need a coaching license - http://www.ussoccer.com/coaching-education/licenses

Are they charging more for being on the travel squad? Seems pretty odd to have you as a coach if they are quality club.(no offense intended to you it's just your lack of license and knowledge)

If you are going to stay on this path - you may want to crash course it https://dcc.ussoccer.com/
I live in a small town, this stuff is all volunteer and (sadly) they have a much harder time getting volunteers for girls sports than boys sports

I'd happily give this to somebody else 

Well the good news is half of your worries aren't necessary. 

U8 is 4v4 with no keepers and no offsides on a tiny field.  Let the Brit handle everything and you just manage the games with 2 on offense and 2 on defense. 

U8 travel is a little ridiculous, IMO. Just keep the kids having fun and don't worry about W/L. It should all be about them loving the game (your job) and learning some technique (the Brit's job) at this age. 

I played college soccer and some semi-pro... took a stab at Floppinho's u8 fun-league downton, and it was rough... but mostly because the league wasn't set up to practice or even have input from the "coaches" (who were basically substitution regulators). and even more because floppinho wanted nothing to do with me helping the other kids, or offering him advice. and further because floppinho really doesn't like soccer. man... it was really rough.

Bergen county in northern jersey.  I've had good success connecting with the kids throughout all my coaching (rec soccer, rec softball and years ago Babe Ruth baseball) and my daughter (so far) seems to not hate me being her coach. I think my issue will likely be the nuance of the game and the complete lack of knowledge of how to improve through drills 

I do have one practice per week run by those British guys, they have to be good, right?

Oh yeah, I'd happily take tips and pointers 

Bergen county in northern jersey.  I've had good success connecting with the kids throughout all my coaching (rec soccer, rec softball and years ago Babe Ruth baseball) and my daughter (so far) seems to not hate me being her coach. I think my issue will likely be the nuance of the game and the complete lack of knowledge of how to improve through drills 

I do have one practice per week run by those British guys, they have to be good, right?
will definitely have good accents. the girls will love them.

Well the good news is half of your worries aren't necessary. 

U8 is 4v4 with no keepers and no offsides on a tiny field.  Let the Brit handle everything and you just manage the games with 2 on offense and 2 on defense. 

U8 travel is a little ridiculous, IMO. Just keep the kids having fun and don't worry about W/L. It should all be about them loving the game (your job) and learning some technique (the Brit's job) at this age. 
Somehow the 4x4 thing wasn't enacted in our league this year.  It's a new thing upon a recommendation from USA Soccer but the leagues are bluffing and pushing back.  So I think we are 7x7 or maybe 8x8

Somehow the 4x4 thing wasn't enacted in our league this year.  It's a new thing upon a recommendation from USA Soccer but the leagues are bluffing and pushing back.  So I think we are 7x7 or maybe 8x8
Jesus Christ.  Travel for U8 is already overkill plus they're doing 7v7?! :X  

GL man.  Maybe this thread can turn into your think tank. 

Hurry up and take your F license online. It will be good for you to learn some of the basics. 

How much did they charge these kids?

I did have to get that license thing IIRC by it basically involved a background check and me sitting through a three hour online course on injuries and concussions 
The F is probably what you have - and most clubs require that for rec. I know most big name clubs(Rush, Storm, Real)  in Colorado that have a competitive/travel program like a D at least no matter the age. It's been 10 years since my girl was there so maybe the license levels are even higher today. It's crazy when you get going in this and how much money they charge - so it's expected that the kids are going to be getting good instruction. As for keeper - my daughter played it and the club had keeper specific coaches she went and worked with on the side during the evening or on other nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you were in LI, I'd push you towards a gb college teammate who's set up a training academy out there. 

here's a link to some videos... they might have a pay to play deal for more of the instructional ones.

at a basic level, re: practice... definitely see how the brits set things up and try to just do the same thing each week. 

outside of that, I believe in starting each practice with individual skills- each kid with a ball. build up from that to two-kid drills... passing, etc. from there up towards more team-oriented organizational drills. kids love to scrimmage... so you can always end with that- although I think there's been a shift away from spending too much time doing it and more on getting each kid individually on a ball as much as possible.

eta: I'm also a big fan of 3v1 or 4v2 (monkey in the middle) drills- gets the kids moving and recognizing both the movement needed and the opend players. very good stuff at a micro level in terms of developing a lot of different skills.

oh... u8 is still young- make sure there's some fun stuff in there as well... dunno if kids do "dodge ball" any more (soccer style). red-light-green-light while dribbling. soccer golf...

youth sports are royally screwed. Our local league was discussing premiere soccer and specialization for U6.  They can barely write their names. 

7v7... so that's 6+ goalie? 

look around and figure out a tactical lineup that works with the girls you have. 2-2-2 (2 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 forwards) and try to get them to stick to positions, while remaining fluid (not planted to a spot)- but not clustered around the ball.

the clustering thing... hopefully these kids are past that. if not, I always found it useful to have them lineup and try to race the ball (with you kicking it to a predetermined spot). they lose. hopefully gets the point across that the ball is always going to move faster than they will- which should back up the idea that staying spread out can be advantageous. the 3v1, 4v2 drills will also get them thinking about moving into space to support passes- pass and move, pass and move... always trying to create triangles on the field.

3-2-1 has been the most reliable from what I've seen in coaching and watching 7v7 (U10 boys). Leaving 2 on D leaves them too vulnerable in the back, but maybe that's not as bad for U8 girls. 

1. Play some FIFA

2, Watch "Kicking and Screaming" 

Sorry sir, wish I could be more of a help. Always liked soccer, just was never that good at it and focused more on ice hockey.

youth sports are royally screwed. Our local league was discussing premiere soccer and specialization for U6.  They can barely write their names. 
The thing you guys are all missing is that you can never teach a kid early enough tactics and techniques.

Having the proper form when picking the dandelion, sticking the landing on their cart wheels, or safely following through on their somersaults are key to becoming top players by the time they are 9. 

1. Play some FIFA

2, Watch "Kicking and Screaming" 

Sorry sir, wish I could be more of a help. Always liked soccer, just was never that good at it and focused more on ice hockey.
I was thinking of renting Ladybugs

U8 Travel soccer is beyond silly.

Do the U8 teams at the European academies even play actual games?
I have less than no idea, I liked the idea of 4x4 (which is how we scrimmage because we have 11 girls and a few are always absent). It gives each kid a ton of touches and keep them engaged and nobody can really hide.  But anyway, the league decided to stick with 7x7 for as long as they could.  

Oh yeah, I'm not sure but I think we play with these huge goals.  I had one of our girls play goalie last night and she looked like she was being swallowed by a whale. 

Jesus Christ.  Travel for U8 is already overkill plus they're doing 7v7?! :X  

GL man.  Maybe this thread can turn into your think tank. 

Hurry up and take your F license online. It will be good for you to learn some of the basics. 

How much did they charge these kids?
About $150 including uniforms I think 

Users who are viewing this thread