What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Official Dallas Cowboys thread (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
  1. No Romo for a while.
  2. Porous defense
  3. Soft schedule
  4. Dak looking like the real deal.
  5. With any kind of passing game, we will be able to pound the rock.
  6. Division looks weak.
Honestly, the team could win anywhere from 2 to 12 wins. I have no idea, but am not overly optimistic.

It's all on Dak. We know all too well what this team is with Romo out. If Dak can keep teams from crowding the box, the offense should be good enough to keep us in every game. Not only that, will he be clutch enough to win (or not lose) these close games. Defensively, the division has gotten much better, which won't help. That said, the eyeball test says Dak can get it done. Not playoff run done, but give us enough to be extremely excited about going forward. With Romo out, I have resigned myself to this expectation for 2016.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the defense this year.  I'm not suggesting they're going to be great but I believe they will be slightly improved from 2014. 

Really, the key to the entire season, which has been a key for the past several years is a good pass rush. 

I have nothing but full confidence in Dak.

Wasn't there a Cowboys thread already?

Why not change the title for that thread? There's good info in there..... 

Last edited by a moderator:
 I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the defense this year.  I'm not suggesting they're going to be great but I believe they will be slightly improved from 2014. 

Really, the key to the entire season, which has been a key for the past several years is a good pass rush. 

I have nothing but full confidence in Dak.
The defense should be half decent until they start dropping like flies from injuries.

I see no way they're goin to be able to mount a pass rush.

Dak will look different once the games count. He'll look great at times but will of course make plenty of mistakes.

Meh...

We should be able to get some pressure with Irving and Mayowa.  Crawford in the middle should be able to push the pile. Hopefully even more when Lawrence gets back week five.

i'm not expecting much out of Gregory this year but his suspension hasn't been extended as of yet. Maybe by getting into rehab early he can avoid that.

After watching tons of tape, my only concern with Prescott is throwing his receivers into big hits, which he tends to do.

something else I observed watching a lot of tape on Prescott in college is that he didn't get a whole lot of help at receiver. I saw tons and tons of dropped passes.

Come on Cowboys fans.  I know it's been a rough couple of years but the future looks bright!

If we can run really effectively and Dak can be efficient and hit the odd big play...we got a shot. If he turns into a turn over or 3 n out machine....it will be a looooong year.

OK, a rough couple of decades. 

That being said, the Cowboys have been run better organizationally in the past two or three years since Jimmy left. 

Stephen Jones appears to have more control than Jerry does.  It appears we have our future QB, the bulk of the Oline is signed for the next several years, we have a first round stud running back to complement it and while not everyone has panned out (yet), there has been a strong focus on building up the D line. 

The new training complex "the Star" is revolutionary and will probably help attract free agents if we can just get them to come and look. 

Personally....I believe the best way to get free agents....is to be known as a team that wins.  We are hit and miss in that category.

I will say the future looks better then it did a couple years back. We literally had nothing talent wise in young players and cap problems.

Look at the bright side, we could've drafted Goff or Wentz!!!!*****

*** -   Carson Wentz and Jeff Goff are two quarterbacks who nobody ever heard of prior to the draft. ;)

When you get old a couple years equal 20.

I really wanted Romo to start the entire season like most rationale Cowboys fans. I think Dak can handle the pressure and the games won't be too big for him. Happy we took Elliott at 1.4 now even though I was against the pick in the beginning.

If we go 9-7 I will be very happy.

I know Elliot and Morris make a great backfield....but I'm not convinced anyone in the NFC East can stop anyone else defensively 

I love our future....

O-line looking at worst a top 5 unit for many years to come

Young RB Stud

WR's set for the next 3 years at least with Bryant/Beasley/Butler

D-line to me looks solid with Thornton/Mclain/Crawford (beast)..when Gregory and Lawrence get back it can only mean a deeper cast with more rotation.

I personally like our secondary, especially with the way A.Brown is playing. B.Jones being interchangeable at safety and nickle(if Brown doesn't outright take it). Claiborne is in a contract year..Carr knows he needs to produce...Scandrick is a redemption story. I like.

LBer's are the weak link...Durant performs consistent enough provided he can stay healthy. I say cut Ro.Mclain. Restructure S.Lee some mo'. Wilbur/Gachcar meh.Next year address full throttle. Jaylon will be back by then.

If Dak can be who we think he can be...watch out! I say similar to Culpepper/Mcnabb.

I think Dak performs at a high enough level that Week 8 when Romo is due to return it becomes null and void.

How Bout Em!!!

OK, a rough couple of decades. 

That being said, the Cowboys have been run better organizationally in the past two or three years since Jimmy left. 

Stephen Jones appears to have more control than Jerry does.  It appears we have our future QB, the bulk of the Oline is signed for the next several years, we have a first round stud running back to complement it and while not everyone has panned out (yet), there has been a strong focus on building up the D line. 

The new training complex "the Star" is revolutionary and will probably help attract free agents if we can just get them to come and look. 

Not a bad 3rd stringer though. Still better then Cassell or the "Weedman", imo.
Is he 3rd string behind Prescott/Moore? or is he 3rd string behind Romo/Prescott? because if it is the latter, he is actually 2nd string for at least half the season. And don't count your chickens with Sanchez until he starts buttfumbling and throwing interceptions all over the place. I actually was in favor of seeing what he could do instead of Bradford after the start of last season. He quickly changed my mind once he started playing.

I am all in on Dak and Zeke. Offense should be good. With the potential to be scary good. Depends on Dak.

D is going to be a big issue again this year IMO.

They don't have a true DE for weeks. Another 4th round bust in Tapper with a back issue. So you 2 big question marks in your # 2 and your # 4 picks

Secondary cant cover forever if there is no pass rush. Same as last year. IMO. 

hope I am wrong, but I think we are looking at a 7-9 year. Maybe a break here or there and 9-7 fighting for a WC spot. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

dhockster said:
Is he 3rd string behind Prescott/Moore? or is he 3rd string behind Romo/Prescott? because if it is the latter, he is actually 2nd string for at least half the season. And don't count your chickens with Sanchez until he starts buttfumbling and throwing interceptions all over the place. I actually was in favor of seeing what he could do instead of Bradford after the start of last season. He quickly changed my mind once he started playing.
Lol. 

I'm hoping buttfumbler never sees the field. In a perfect world neither does Tony.

I think the Cowboys may surprise (in a good way), assuming they stay relatively healthy. Maybe it's rose-colored glasses, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Should make for an entertaining year, regardless!

Go 'boys!

Witten re-did his contract today to free up some cap space.

Immediately after signing the deal he fell down.

LB- Chris McCain was traded from Miami to New Orleans for an undisclosed draft pick, likely a 6th/7th at best. 

Dallas signed him off the Saints practice squad on to their active 53.

He's 24, has a motor, looked really good as a rookie here and in preseasons but gets hurt, also think the coaches were bad here previously and had no real idea what this guy could do. He is a Dallas kind of player IMO, will fit well with the team and what Dallas is about. 

Glad he landed and is part of a quality organization and I'm not being funny. I wish him the best and I think you might see him make a few waves there if he can get on the field.

Here is another way to describe McCain to Dallas fans, that's the kind of guy you all are getting and that's why I think he fits in there. Not sure how good he can be but Dallas needs help and this guy has the right attitude. 

All I know is Im all in on Zeke in FF.....cautiously stoked after watching the Broncos.......we should be running the hell outta the ball to protect our rook.

Also an EzE owner, will be watching and cheering him on.

Dallas is going to expand its fan base and once Dak has full control this team will feel kinda new for a lot of folks. If Prescott turns into Wilson 2.0, lot of fans will want to be out in front of it. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Also an EzE owner, will be watching and cheering him on.

Dallas is going to expand its fan base and once Dak has full control this team will feel kinda new for a lot of folks. If Prescott turns into Wilson 2.0, lot of fans will want to be out in front of it. 
....and either way... casual fans and media will critique the kid to death.  It's the hardest part of being a Cowboys fan.  I cannot stand the media coverage of our team:

-Confirmed tapes of Dez Bryant beating people in parking lots.

-Zeke is a pot head and GF beater.

-Romo sucks.

-Jerry runs the team.

Now make up new narratives and.....Wash...lather...rinse....repeat.

Dallas 31-24...I think Dak is going to make believers out of people with his poise. No reason not to win this game with good Offensive/Defensive play calling. Control the clock with the running game, read option, Witten and Dez. Bend but don't break vs Eli and everything is Gucci.

Game wasn't as high scoring as I thought.

Positives-

Defense held Eli and crew to 20 pts w/o Gregory and Lawrence.

Witten is still a great security blanket.

Bailey is money. I really wish he would have had a shot in the end.

B.Carr

T.Crawford

A.Morris

Negatives-

Interior D-line was ramshodded with the game in the balance by Rashad Jennings.

Catch the ball Dez.

The game plan needs to change. We cannot run effectively with Elliot if we continue to come out in Shotgun. I understand that Dak is more comfortable coming from Miss St. but the coaches need to find a healthy balance btwn the two

Game wasn't as high scoring as I thought.

Positives-

Defense held Eli and crew to 20 pts w/o Gregory and Lawrence.

Witten is still a great security blanket.

Bailey is money. I really wish he would have had a shot in the end.

B.Carr

T.Crawford

A.Morris

Negatives-

Interior D-line was ramshodded with the game in the balance by Rashad Jennings.

Catch the ball Dez.

The game plan needs to change. We cannot run effectively with Elliot if we continue to come out in Shotgun. I understand that Dak is more comfortable coming from Miss St. but the coaches need to find a healthy balance btwn the two
Dallas should be looking to run an offense like what Denver is doing.  More of a power run game with boot legs and roll outs for Dak to use his athleticism. 

Dallas should be looking to run an offense like what Denver is doing.  More of a power run game with boot legs and roll outs for Dak to use his athleticism. 
Still frustrated over this loss..And I know its only 1 game, but in the words on Han Solo,  I gottta bad feeling...ughhhhh

This goes back to same inept coaching IMO.  At one point Aikman pointed out that the offense was predictable. Run/Run/ Pass, every series. 

Alf should've gotten more carries. Was playing better. Period.

Zeke needs to learn to be patient and wait for the opening, He is way to athletic to not take advantage. You drafted him # 4 for a reason.  I don't believe I saw 1 screen setup for him. His speed is perfect for it.

I don't think that Beasley should ever have 12 targets.

Gotta get the ball to the outside WR more. You traded for Butler. You have Dez. Use them.

Way too concervative. Agree that we need to find a way not telegraph our run/pass plays. 

I only saw one screen but the Giants didn't blitz much. 

I didn't think we went run run pass or were predictable.  We did a good job mixing plays.  What we didn't do is stretch the field vertically.  I hated the overly conservative game plan. I get Dak is a rookie, but as someone has already posted...Garrett does not understand that TOP alone will not win games. You have to score TD's not just 15 play drives for FG's.

Garrett is pulling one of the all time con jobs.  He should not have a job.  Period.

Do you think other teams don't double Brown?  Throw Dez the freaking ball.  Call a play to break the coverage.  It IS possible.

Agree with BG, horrible coaching. As much as I love Zeke, Morris was the better runner and it seemed as if NYG def was starting to crack then the coaches would put Zeke back in.....WHY?????

One question among many!!!

The coaches clearly lost this game!

Just Horrible,

Tex

I swear I am not trolling, I just need clarification on something. Has Terence Williams made at least one bonehead play before yesterday? I seem to recall something in his past that cost the Cowboys, but I can't remember what it was. I also could be completely wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread