What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Survivor Pool Discussion (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
A useful link, shows future value for a lot of teams left

http://www.survivorgrid.com/

I did not see another thread started so I figured I would get us all going on another season of survivor pool discussions! 

Who do you got?

Week 1

Carolina at Denver

Tampa Bay at Tennessee

Cleveland at Philadelphia 

Cincinnati at New York Jets

Oakland at New Orleans

San Diego at Kansas City

Buffalo at Baltimore

Chicago at Houston

Green Bay at Jacksonville

Miami at Seattle

New York Giants at Dallas

Detroit at Indianapolis

New England at Arizona

Pittsburgh at Washington

Los Angeles at San Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:
Kansas City - usually don't like division games but KC at home against what should be a bad SD team - a game I feel most comfortable what both teams will be

Seattle at home, but want to save them for later

Philly..... may be the only time to take them this year.
Disagree.  When you have a team that you are so unsure about their ability to beat any other team on their scheule, you stay the hell away week 1,  Cleveland absolutely could roll in there and beat that team.  It might be ugly, but I am not taking the chance on that one.

Give me Houston or KC... Chicago may be the worst team in the league this year.  I am quite sure of that, bottom 4 definitely.   I would take HOU over KC, but if I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket, I would make KC my #2 lock of week 1.

Just my .02

Kansas City - usually don't like division games but KC at home against what should be a bad SD team - a game I feel most comfortable what both teams will be

Seattle at home, but want to save them for later
Same two I narrowed it down to, but I'm playing it safe (I think) with Seattle.

Seattle seems like the no brainier, last year, but I don't know about this year. Ive always thought well of Miami last year and their coaching really held them back. The talent is essentially unchanged aside from running back which is largely an unknown. Seattle has started the season poorly the last few years to my recollection.

I am thinking Houston may be my pick 

Seattle. Too many negatives against Miami to forsee an upset there. Week 1 is not the week to roll the dice. There are some tough matchups with little clarity this week. Survive and figure it out the next week.

Pick #2 is Houston. Kinda iffy but they all feel that way. This is a non conference roadie for Chicago and Watt looks to be playing. I think Houston's offense will be much more balanced and effective.

I have 4 entries in one pool, and am using 1 of them on Philly.   CLE is terrible, on the road, and if I can use Philly, who I don't love the rest of the year, I will be ahead of the game.  If I onyl had one entry, I would take SEA.  

HOU and SEA will be the dominant picks, and righfully so.  Week 1 is not the time to play hunches, let everyone play a game, and let's sit back and take a look.  

No way I touch Philly with a rookie QB starting who hasn't played since the first pre-season game.  Give me Texans, Chiefs, or Hawks in week 1.

I'm following CHI, CLE, and SF around all year until they show they can play defense, or get solid QB play.

I may be in the minority here, but I have TB winning this game.
Yeah probably right  

Should be alot of yds eh

didnt see the SF game btw

I dont play pools like this, and its probably good.

It just sounds strange to pick a great team to start, but i guess thats part of the attraction too

I really like Rivers (played w/ a brace for an acl!) Itd be hard to go against him..

Minnesota, Probably the best match up to take them this year since Peterson is healthy. If Peterson goes down at any point this season you won't want to take them against anyone else the rest of the year.

I don't see many taking Arizona.  That's my pick as of now.  I thought of the Eagles at first but no way do I feel safe about that.  I would like to make it past week two this year.  Last year the pool I was in was finished by week 3.

I don't see many taking Arizona.  That's my pick as of now.  I thought of the Eagles at first but no way do I feel safe about that.  I would like to make it past week two this year.  Last year the pool I was in was finished by week 3.
Wow

Seattle hasn't lost a home opener against a non-divisional team since 2001.  They've also posted 20+ point victories in their home opener each of the past 4 seasons that they've had Wilson as their QB.

Given the other options, it's hard to lean a different direction.  Not worried about burning the Seahawks early.  Plenty of great teams will emerge that we can't even foresee right now who could wind up viable in Survivor pools later in the season.

Seattle hasn't lost a home opener against a non-divisional team since 2001.  They've also posted 20+ point victories in their home opener each of the past 4 seasons that they've had Wilson as their QB.

Given the other options, it's hard to lean a different direction.  Not worried about burning the Seahawks early.  Plenty of great teams will emerge that we can't even foresee right now who could wind up viable in Survivor pools later in the season.
oh ####...they are doomed!

Atlanta hosts TB week 1  

Which week would a guy use Atlanta if not week 1?
The Bucs swept the Falcons last year and should be better this year. I definitely wouldn't trust the Falcons in this game, I think it's a toss up.

I'm between the Seahawks and Chiefs right now, but am leaning Chiefs so I can save the Seahawks for later. Chargers don't scare me at all and the Chiefs are usually tough to beat at home. Looks like Seattle is by far the most popular choice though.

My pick for this week is the Colts over the Lions.  I try to take a team that not many others are taking and the Colts are down the list a little bit.  Everyone seems to be on the Seahawks and Texans.

My pick for this week is the Colts over the Lions.  I try to take a team that not many others are taking and the Colts are down the list a little bit.  Everyone seems to be on the Seahawks and Texans.
Detroit will win that game. 

4 entries.

2 SEA, 1 HOU, 1 PHI   :thumbup:

I noticed WAS plays three road games in a row at the end of the year, with the 3rd being in Philly.  That's crazy, anyone else have to do that?

Cleveland has 5 road games in first 7 weeks of the season.  Wow.

massraider said:
4 entries.

2 SEA, 1 HOU, 1 PHI   :thumbup:

I noticed WAS plays three road games in a row at the end of the year, with the 3rd being in Philly.  That's crazy, anyone else have to do that?

Cleveland has 5 road games in first 7 weeks of the season.  Wow.
Similar for me.  4 entries:

2 Seattle

1 Houston

1 KC

Seattle seems like the no brainier, last year, but I don't know about this year. Ive always thought well of Miami last year and their coaching really held them back. The talent is essentially unchanged aside from running back which is largely an unknown. Seattle has started the season poorly the last few years to my recollection.

I am thinking Houston may be my pick 
Miami is going to get run off the field. I pick the surest thing I can each week in survivor.

This is the surest thing I see. Miami's defense is hot garbage this year. And on offense if they can't get Foster going....Tanny will be running for his life.

Miami is going to get run off the field. I pick the surest thing I can each week in survivor.

This is the surest thing I see. Miami's defense is hot garbage this year. And on offense if they can't get Foster going....Tanny will be running for his life.
You're jinxing everyone, knock it off

Minnesota, Probably the best match up to take them this year since Peterson is healthy. If Peterson goes down at any point this season you won't want to take them against anyone else the rest of the year.
Picking road teams is a recipe for disaster in these pools...especially week 1 when there are better options.  

Going with the Chiefs.

Looking at this from a season-long view:

I am only in one, but it's a monster.  7,000 entries, $100 each.  Yeah.  PM me for details.  

So, I am not in one that will end week 3.  The wrinkle in my league is this:  With so many entries, if there are 300+ entries still alive by week 11, entries have to choose TWO that week.  THe following week, if there are 200+, same thing.  So week 11, looms large, as does the possibility of selecting multiple entries the rest of the season.  

I go team-by-team, labeling a game as a possible, or strong play.  A strong play to me is non-divisional, at home, and against a lesser team.  I don't care the talent difference between divisonal opponents, most Survivor Blood Baths can be traced back to a 'gimme' dividional games.  Being at home is big, everyone knows it, but people still get tempted, and get burned every week.  One thing that can get extra attention from me is when the opponent is playing 2nd road game in a row.  If I have a Cicncy, playing at home against the Rams playing their 2nd road game in a row, that's all you can ask.  I really hate when you are betting on a worst team contest.  Games between terrible teams is always tough to pick, to me anyway.  

But then I look by week.  There are always weeks where there are few strong plays. Just having a schedule grid with the strong plays marked makes it so easy.  There are some weeks that look a lot tougher to pick than others.  I like having a plan for those weeks.  Saving an average team who has their juiciest matchup is an otherwise tough week is key.

Week 2, right off the bat, has few home runs, and even some home favorites will be teams that I don''t think anyone knows which way they will go.  DET vs TEN will get some play, depending on how Stafford looks week 1.  I could see him hanging 40 points on Indy, and letting everyone down at home the next week.  A lot of people will be on GB at MIN, but that's divisional and on the road. Oakland at home against the Falcons looks to be popular as well.  Other than that.....

Week 8 is the worst.  Packers, Cardinals, Patriots, Seahawks, Chiefs, Raiders are all on the road.  Denver at home vs. SD is going to be a popular choice.  CIN has WAS at home, which could be a possible, WAS is playing 2nd road game, but both these teams fit into the category of not knowing exactly what they are yet.  WAS could have a fast start, I can easily see that if Cousins is the goods.

I am always looking for value that presents itself during the season. If there is a team that emerges, it's always nice to be able to add a late season game of theirs to the possibles.  

massraider said:
Looking at this from a season-long view:

I am only in one, but it's a monster.  7,000 entries, $100 each.  Yeah.  PM me for details.  

So, I am not in one that will end week 3.  The wrinkle in my league is this:  With so many entries, if there are 300+ entries still alive by week 11, entries have to choose TWO that week.  THe following week, if there are 200+, same thing.  So week 11, looms large, as does the possibility of selecting multiple entries the rest of the season.  

I go team-by-team, labeling a game as a possible, or strong play.  A strong play to me is non-divisional, at home, and against a lesser team.  I don't care the talent difference between divisonal opponents, most Survivor Blood Baths can be traced back to a 'gimme' dividional games.  Being at home is big, everyone knows it, but people still get tempted, and get burned every week.  One thing that can get extra attention from me is when the opponent is playing 2nd road game in a row.  If I have a Cicncy, playing at home against the Rams playing their 2nd road game in a row, that's all you can ask.  I really hate when you are betting on a worst team contest.  Games between terrible teams is always tough to pick, to me anyway.  

But then I look by week.  There are always weeks where there are few strong plays. Just having a schedule grid with the strong plays marked makes it so easy.  There are some weeks that look a lot tougher to pick than others.  I like having a plan for those weeks.  Saving an average team who has their juiciest matchup is an otherwise tough week is key.

Week 2, right off the bat, has few home runs, and even some home favorites will be teams that I don''t think anyone knows which way they will go.  DET vs TEN will get some play, depending on how Stafford looks week 1.  I could see him hanging 40 points on Indy, and letting everyone down at home the next week.  A lot of people will be on GB at MIN, but that's divisional and on the road. Oakland at home against the Falcons looks to be popular as well.  Other than that.....

Week 8 is the worst.  Packers, Cardinals, Patriots, Seahawks, Chiefs, Raiders are all on the road.  Denver at home vs. SD is going to be a popular choice.  CIN has WAS at home, which could be a possible, WAS is playing 2nd road game, but both these teams fit into the category of not knowing exactly what they are yet.  WAS could have a fast start, I can easily see that if Cousins is the goods.

I am always looking for value that presents itself during the season. If there is a team that emerges, it's always nice to be able to add a late season game of theirs to the possibles.  
Week 2 has some obvious home runs imo:

carolina at home against sf

Arizona at home vs Tampa bay is not a bad matchup either

week 8 has Denver vs San Diego at home. Divisional game yes, I'm with you on that but San Diego is terrible

or theres the jets on the road vs the browns, road game but it's the Browns...

at at the end of the day week 8 is far enough away that a lot will change by then I think where some teams we think are tough now will be a lock to lose by mid season. But week 2 I don't know how CAR isn't a lock vs SF, especially now after they just lost on the road

Lehigh98 said:
See... easy.
So pissed at the Chargers!  Hold it together, you pansys!  Congrats on your win, by I would have seen 1270 people knocked out.

Houston, Seattle, KC all won, no bloodbath this week.  All four of my picks (SEA, SEA, HOU, PHI) won.

There are 865 peeps who took the Cards, so Go Pats (I feel dirty).

I had Houston this week......whew.

Ok on to week 2. Let's take a look. Top 3 for me are:

If Russell Wilson is out The Rams over Seattle

Panthers over Redskins

Cardinals over Bucs

First rule of Survivor Pool is no division games.
Sometimes you just gotta go with the gut. I saw an OL that was putrid vs Miami.

The Rams have an even better defense and playing at home. This may be the week to use The Rams.

This may be the week to use The Rams.
There are teams that you should almost never use.  A bad team playing a division game against a perennial playoff team is just begging to get your ### booted out of the pool.  Especially in Week 2 when it looks like there are several other juicy mediocre teams worth taking a shot on (Detroit, Baltimore, Giants, Oakland)

I had Houston this week......whew.

Ok on to week 2. Let's take a look. Top 3 for me are:

If Russell Wilson is out The Rams over Seattle

Panthers over Redskins

Cardinals over Bucs
Aren't the Panthers playing at home against San Fran this week?  It's a stone cold lock if so.

Users who are viewing this thread