What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elements of Rock Era Music draft - Categories firming up, Sign Up here (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
Draft Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18DGgZwawSXn6w1IJ1MxDhfpmhlCEDlda3H5tRkOE18Y/edit#gid=1140340580

CATEGORIES

Instruments (13)

Acoustic Guitar

Electric Guitar

Bass Guitar

Drums

Piano (Acoustic)

Keyboard (Electric)

Synths (Computer/Synthetic)

Strings

Woodwind/Saxophone (recorders, flutes, oboes, clarinets, saxophones, and bassoons)

Brass/Horns (horns, trumpets, trombones, euphoniums, or tubas)

Harmonica

Non-Traditional Instrument

"World" Instrument

Vocal (6)

Solo Vocal Performance - Male

Solo Vocal Performance - Female

Harmony

Choir

Backing Vocal

Falsetto

Structure (6)

Intro

Song Ending/Coda

Bridge

Chorus

Crescendo

Overall Unique Structure

Production (5)

Autotune/Processed Vocals

Sampling

Layering

Non Musical Sound Effect

Mixing/Mastering

-

Encylopedia Brown

Bass Guitar

The Beatles

Paperback Writer

-

FUBAR

Overall Unique Structure

Led Zepplin

Stairway to Heaven

-

JML

Acoustic Guitar

Bob Marley

Redemption Song

-

Doug B

Woodwind/Saxophone

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Jungleland

-

Mr. Ected

Harmony

The Beach Boys

Good Vibrations

-

Steve Tasker

Keyboard (Electric)

LCD Soundsystem

All My Friends

-

Northern Voice

Brass/Horns

Stevie Wonder

Sir Duke

-

Ilub80s

Harmony

Local Natives

Ceilings

-

Eephus

Layering

David Bowie

Heroes

-

sn0mm1s

Bass Guitar

Primus

Tommy the Cat

-

sn0mm1s

Harmonica

Cracker

Happy Birthday to Me

-

Eephus

Crescendo

The Afghan Wigs

Crime Scene Part One

-

Ilub80s

Falsetto

James Blake

Retrograde

-

Northern Voice

Harmonica

Neil Young

Heart of Gold

-

Steve Tasker

Strings

Los Campesinos

2007, The Year Punk Broke (My Heart)

-

Mr. Ected

Overall Unique Structure

Queen

Bohemian Rhapsody

-

Doug B

Sampling

M|A|R|R|S

Pump Up the Volume

-

JML

Electric Guitar

Derek & the Dominoes

Layla

-

FUBAR

Keyboard (Electric)

The Who

Baba O'Reilly

-

Encylopedia Brown

Acoustic Guitar

John Denver

Country Roads

-

Encylopedia Brown

Choir

Mike & the Mechanics

Living Years

-

FUBAR

Crescendo

Dave Matthews Band

All Along the Watchtower

-

JML

Electric Guitar

Talking Heads

Psycho Killer

-

Doug B

Crescendo

The Beatles

A Day in the Life

-

Mr. Ected

Keyboard (Electric)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression - Part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
No cowbell? 

Crowd participation (would almost have to be live)

Group harmony / backup singers (e.g. the church choir in like a prayer)

I'd be interested but when you use words like falsetto, I'm outclassed. 

Been wanting to do one of these for over five years ... so IN   :headbang:

NV, here's some category ideas I threw out back then. Was a very stream-of-consciousness exercise at the time ... some of these ideas might be worth exploring, while others are probably too much. A lot of overlap, saying one thing two ways, etc.

Guitar
Best Rhythm Guitar Work in a Song
Most Iconic Guitar Riff
Best Riff
Best Short Guitar Solo
Best Long Guitar Solo

Bass Guitar
Best Bass Guitar Work in a Song
Most Iconic Bass Riff
Best Bass Riff
Best Bass Solo

Drums
Best Overall Drum Work in a Song
Most Iconic Drum Beat
Most Iconic Drum Fill
Best Use of Bass Drum
Best Use of Snare
Best Use of Toms
Best Use of Cymbals
Best Use of Hi-Hat
Best Short Drum Solo
Best Long Drum Solo

Keyboard
Best Keyboard Work in a Song
Most Iconic Keyboard Riff
Best Keyboard Riff
Best Keyboard Solo

Piano
Best Piano Work in a Song
Most Iconic Piano Riff
Best Piano Riff
Best Piano Solo

Strings
Best Strings Work in a Song
Most Iconic Strings Riff
Best Strings Riff
Best Strings Solo

Horns
Best Horns Work in a Song
Most Iconic Horns Riff
Best Horns Riff
Best Horns Solo

FUBAR said:
Group harmony / backup singers (e.g. the church choir in like a prayer)
"Harmonizing" in general is a good one. And your post made me think of having "backup singing" as a category. Lots of classic, iconic backup vocal performances that deserve to be spotlighted.

FUBAR said:
I'd be interested but when you use words like falsetto, I'm outclassed. 
You know exactly what falsetto is, just might not have heard it called that. Check out this article -- the list leaves A LOT of names off, but it is thought-provoking. The comments are decent, and propose many more vocalists that would've been well worthy of a Top-Whatever list.

You know exactly what falsetto is, just might not have heard it called that. Check out this article -- the list leaves A LOT of names off, but it is thought-provoking. The comments are decent, and propose many more vocalists that would've been well worthy of a Top-Whatever list.
Oh, I know what it is, but the use of the term indicates a level of sophistication beyond my possession. :nerd:

I'd like to partner w a young person on a team. While i've appreciated music all along as much as i could, i haven't sweat the output of anyone except Peter Gabriel in almost a quarter century. A draft entity deserves better'n'at.

I'd like to partner w a young person on a team. While i've appreciated music all along as much as i could, i haven't sweat the output of anyone except Peter Gabriel in almost a quarter century. A draft entity deserves better'n'at.
I haven't seen a category proposed yet that doesn't have a heap of top-flight pre-1980 selections. Except maybe "Autotune" :D

Okay, I'm going to start trying to break down/simplify and others can chime in on the structure, hopefully once we have this nailed down we'll be able to get an idea of who's in as well:

Instruments (10)

Electric Guitar

Bass Guitar

Drums

Keyboard

Piano

Strings

Horns

Synthesizer

Wildcard Solo

Vocal (5)

Solo Vocal Performance

Harmony

Choir

Backing Vocal

Falsetto

Structure (5)

Intro

Coda

Bridge

Chorus

Overall Unique Structure

Production (5)

Autotune

Sampling

Layering

Non Musical Sound Effect

Mixing/Mastering

**If we wanted to go 30 rounds/categories, I would do 15 instruments and add back in harmonica, accordian, banjo, flute and maybe break horns into trumpet/sax - or other more common instruments

Suggestions/Input?

I haven't seen a category proposed yet that doesn't have a heap of top-flight pre-1980 selections. Except maybe "Autotune" :D
yeah, but a draft entity filled w dinosaur pix aint no good. and i want a whippersnapper knockin the weedwacker out me hand on this - that's how you stay vital. down for half. anyone wimme?

can you hold off until the top 100 numbers 1 thru 100 thread is done my heart can only take so much awesome at once take that to the bank brohans 

Last edited by a moderator:
can you hold off until the top 100 numbers 1 thru 100 thread is done my heart can only take so much awesome at once take that to the bank brohans 
does interest on that awesomeness compound daily, quarterly or annually or does it depend on how much awesome you bring to the bank?

does interest on that awesomeness compound daily, quarterly or annually or does it depend on how much awesome you bring to the bank?
the market stinks now so probably a dot followed by some other numbers your better off putting your awesome into an agrresive emerging markets mutual fund these days bromigos take that to the vanguard funds store brochachos

you need a category for best solo on a double neck guitar and not one of those lame ones where they go the same way i mean one of the ones that rules and goes in different directions it is like hey man is he coming in or going out hey brohan it doesnt matter whichever way he is going hes rocking the hell outta this mutha take that to the bank bromigos 

you need a category for best solo on a double neck guitar and not one of those lame ones where they go the same way i mean one of the ones that rules and goes in different directions it is like hey man is he coming in or going out hey brohan it doesnt matter whichever way he is going hes rocking the hell outta this mutha take that to the bank bromigos 
Stevie Vai. Heart guitar. Enough said, brochacho.  

**If we wanted to go 30 rounds/categories, I would do 15 instruments and add back in harmonica, accordian, banjo, flute and maybe break horns into trumpet/sax - or other more common instruments.

Suggestions/Input?
Another thought is to go with several 'other/misc' rounds. Allowing the drafter to go into areas that are 'off the beaten path.'

Another thought is to go with several 'other/misc' rounds. Allowing the drafter to go into areas that are 'off the beaten path.'
I don't want to leave it that loose, but I think having misc solo, misc other instrument type categories would work.
My thought is not everyone is going to have an accordion or harmonica song.

I guess the question is whether it is a 'this is a great song' or 'I like this song' kind of draft.

Another thought is to have a 'Non-Western International' category.

I say 'Non-Western' so you can't say Neil Peart or Eric Clapton are International. 

My thought is not everyone is going to have an accordion or harmonica song.

I guess the question is whether it is a 'this is a great song' or 'I like this song' kind of draft.
I think it's a "look at how this band implemented this instrument/vocal/structure/production technique into this great song" draft.

I say 'Non-Western' so you can't say Neil Peart or Eric Clapton are International. 
I'm for this by the way, if we can come up with a concise way of putting it in, since "non western/international" would be the whole song, not an element of it. Would saying something as plain as "African influenced elements" work? Could incorporate the indie/afropop stuff that was so common in the mid-00s or the current dancehall influence in #1 pop hits made by Canadians, as well as all the earlier waves (thinking 70s singer songwriters mined this sound pretty good as well).

I'm for this by the way, if we can come up with a concise way of putting it in, since "non western/international" would be the whole song, not an element of it. Would saying something as plain as "African influenced elements" work? Could incorporate the indie/afropop stuff that was so common in the mid-00s or the current dancehall influence in #1 pop hits made by Canadians, as well as all the earlier waves (thinking 70s singer songwriters mined this sound pretty good as well).
If you leave it with 'Non-Western' it could include African as well as Indian and other Eastern Asian music in one category. Now you could split it up into two or three. if you wanted.

As far as the categories, you could think up 30 and have it be a 25 round draft or something, allowing people to aim more for their own tastes/knowledge.

best use of french horn would be a good one take that to the bank for the win bromigos 

I haven't done a draft here in ten years (mostly because I didn't want to hold it up by my odd schedule), but time is clear and this sounds very interesting. If there is an opening, I would love to participate. 

Okay, I'm going to start trying to break down/simplify and others can chime in on the structure, hopefully once we have this nailed down we'll be able to get an idea of who's in as well:

Instruments (10)

Electric Guitar

Bass Guitar

Drums

Keyboard

Piano

Strings

Horns

Synthesizer

Wildcard Solo

**If we wanted to go 30 rounds/categories, I would do 15 instruments and add back in harmonica, accordian, banjo, flute and maybe break horns into trumpet/sax - or other more common instruments

Suggestions/Input?
What's your conception of the difference between "keyboard" and "synthesizer"? There are differences, but I'm curious about what you had in mind for the dividing lines between the two.

I'm in favor of more instruments being drafted, myself. Would suggest replacing "banjo" with "Acoustic Guitar" and perhaps splitting horns between "Woodwinds" and "Brass" (or maybe since it's a rock draft, "Sax" and "Other Horns").

What's your conception of the difference between "keyboard" and "synthesizer"? There are differences, but I'm curious about what you had in mind for the dividing lines between the two.

I'm in favor of more instruments being drafted, myself. Would suggest replacing "banjo" with "Acoustic Guitar" and perhaps splitting horns between "Woodwinds" and "Brass" (or maybe since it's a rock draft, "Sax" and "Other Horns").
Hmm, thought I had acoustic guitar in that initial 10

How about this for a 30 round draft:

Instruments (14)

Acoustic Guitar

Electric Guitar

Bass Guitar

Drums

Piano (Acoustic)

Keyboard (Electric)

Synths (Computer/Synthetic)

Strings

Woodwind/Saxophone (recorders, flutes, oboes, clarinets, saxophones, and bassoons)

Brass/Horns (horns, trumpets, trombones, euphoniums, or tubas)

Harmonica

"World" Instrument

Wildcard Solo

Vocal (6)

Solo Vocal Performance - Male

Solo Vocal Performance - Female

Harmony

Choir

Backing Vocal

Falsetto

Structure (6)