Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SaintsInDome2006

Trey Burton - TE (Bears)

Placeholder, because I think he might need a thread.

Lots of presence in the new Philly offense if the preseason is any indication. And the WR corps seems to be weakish after Matthews, and Pederson, rook QB, yadayada, there might be something here.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

I definitely think there is a role for him this year and he could be a fantasy factor late in the year or next year.  He seems to me to be a bee to do a lot of the things Aaron Hernandez did.  If the Eagles will use him in that way is another story but the new HC seems to have the inclination. 

My first year of teaching he was a student of mine. Great young man. Played QB in high school, WR at Florida. Can play many offensive positions and is a monster on special teams. Hope to see him get on the field more this year and show everyone what he can do!

• Like 5

I need to go deep and I'm looking at Burton with Ertz likely on the shelf for a couple weeks. If he's active this week, any idea what to expect? All I know about him is that he's versatile and that he had a good camp.

Edited by SameSongNDance

31 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

I need to go deep and I'm looking at Burton with Ertz likely on the shelf for a couple weeks. If he's active this week, any idea what to expect? All I know about him is that he's versatile and that he had a good camp.

Seems like the athletic backup TE that never breaks out, even with an injury. Demetrius Harris 2.0, I'm sure the smart play is Celek.*

*That hasn't stopped me from rostering Burton in a couple deep leagues.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Burton's young, only 24.  He was getting some nice reviews in camp.  I think he gets the bump over Celek in the passing game.  Pederson loves multiple TE sets, so Burton should get plenty of snaps. Celek is more the blocking TE at this point in his career.  He'll get the occasional target but Burton should be the pickup if you're looking for an emergency TE.

Long term he's a bit of a tweener. Too small to be a TE. So is Jordan Reed. But I don't know if Burton is good enough to make up for his lack of size. He is a good receiver though. He will make some catches while Ertz is out. But I don't expect him to be startable.

21 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Seems like the athletic backup TE that never breaks out, even with an injury. Demetrius Harris 2.0, I'm sure the smart play is Celek.*

*That hasn't stopped me from rostering Burton in a couple deep leagues.

More like James Casey I think.

4 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

If he's healthy and ready to go pencil him in for a TD this week

I'll invisible-ink him in for a TD.  That way, when he does absolutely nothing this week, I can say I wisely ignored him entirely.

Targeted 3 times already. Targeted in end zone but DB defended the pass. Still, Wentz likes him. 

On 9/14/2016 at 10:35 PM, Amused to Death said:

Burton's young, only 24.  He was getting some nice reviews in camp.  I think he gets the bump over Celek in the passing game.  Pederson loves multiple TE sets, so Burton should get plenty of snaps. Celek is more the blocking TE at this point in his career.  He'll get the occasional target but Burton should be the pickup if you're looking for an emergency TE.

Looking good as an Ertz fill-in.

4 minutes ago, DarkKnightsGuru said:

I'm going Anderson over him 

In one league I dropped him earlier this week when I bit on the fake news that Ertz had cleared the concussion protocol and the top seed in the league grabbed him and inserted him into his lineup.  He also has Gronk, so I expect he's a one week filler.  I could start Burton in another league over Kroft.  Kroft doesn't get targeted a lot but has scored 2 out of the last 3 weeks.  :unsure:  decisions decisions. Someone other than Green has to catch passes in Cincinnati don't they?

Edited by JohnnyU

Just now, JohnnyU said:

In one league I dropped him earlier this week when I bit on the fake news that Ertz had cleared the concussion protocol and the top seed in the league grabbed him and inserted him into his lineup.  He also has Gronk, so I expect he's a one week filler.  I could start Burton in another league over Kroft.  Kroft doesn't get targeted a lot but has scored 2 out of the last 3 weeks.  

My 3 choices are Burton, Kroft and VD. Going Burton.

2 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

My 3 choices are Burton, Kroft and VD. Going Burton.

I have a feeling Kroft is going to have a good game today.  The Rams have a much tougher pass defense than Chicago and someone other than Green has to catch passes, don't they?  Plus, he's scored two and out the last three weeks.

Edited by JohnnyU

Just now, JohnnyU said:

I have a feeling Kroft is going to have a good game today.  The Rams have a much tougher pass defense than Chicago and someone other than Green has to catch passes, don't they?

I have Kroft anderson and burton in one league.  Right now I’m leaning anderson, however I’ve had the same feeling with Kroft all week. I think with mixon out the bengals may go a little more pass heavy today

Just now, JohnnyU said:

I have a feeling Kroft is going to have a good game today.  The Rams have a much tougher pass defense than Chicago and someone other than Green has to catch passes, don't they?

Have expected more from Kroft since Eifert has gone down. He's been okay, but as you said, the targets have not been there. I'm guessing we could see a 5/50 game out of Burton with the chance of a TD. 

59 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

Have expected more from Kroft since Eifert has gone down. He's been okay, but as you said, the targets have not been there. I'm guessing we could see a 5/50 game out of Burton with the chance of a TD. 

I do expect Burton to get more looks today but his match up isn't that good. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I do expect Burton to get more looks today but his match up isn't that good. 

I'll quote myself on this tidbit.  The Rams are in danger of being without key coverage ILB Alec Ogletree (elbow) on Sunday.  This should benefit Burton. 

1 minute ago, Frank Black said:

I have Burton, but I'm benching him. The tough Rams TE defense + the Celek effect makes me hesitant to start him. 

I agree with Celek, but with the Rams best coverage linebacker likely to miss the game, that certainly helps Burton. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I agree with Celek, but with the Rams best coverage linebacker likely to miss the game, that certainly helps Burton. 

I didn't know that. Do we know definitively is Ertz is out?

Think I'm taking my chances with Olsen over burton. Burton only had like 4 targets in the game ertz was out against the broncos and the eagles scored 50+

8 minutes ago, TeeDub said:

Think I'm taking my chances with Olsen over burton. Burton only had like 4 targets in the game ertz was out against the broncos and the eagles scored 50+

Who would you start between Burton and Kroft vs Bears?

Just now, TeeDub said:

Personally, I'll go burton (especially ppr)

Well, I do believe he will get more targets, but I think Kroft has a better chance at a TD.

Edited by JohnnyU

4 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Well, I do believe he will get more targets, but I think Kroft has a better chance at a TD.

I feel kroft's just as touchdown dependent as burton is. 

Im no expert tho. I'm here browsing for advice just like the rest of us lol

3 minutes ago, TeeDub said:

I feel kroft's just as touchdown dependent as burton is. 

Im no expert tho. I'm here browsing for advice just like the rest of us lol

It's a crap shoot either way.  For now I'm going Kroft over Burton. There are fewer options in the passing game in Cincy than in Philly. 

Edited by JohnnyU

29 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

It's a crap shoot either way.  For now I'm going Kroft over Burton. There are fewer options in the passing game in Cincy than in Philly. 

You should go with Kroft since that's your gut feeling

Just now, TeeDub said:

Trusting your gut isn't usually a good idea, but in this case it might be.

5 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Surprised not more love for Burton after he got a lot of targets last week. Definitely some risk with him but Bengals TE over him?

What if by some miracle Ertz suits up and I'm stuck with Burton in the later game?  At least with Kroft I know what I'm getting in the early game.  If Ertz is labeled OUT before the early games it makes it easier.

Edited by JohnnyU

Yeah, I'm going with Burton.  I actually dropped Greg Olsen for him because that foot injury scares me.  Was listening to Sirius the other day and they said that other receivers that had the same foot injury as Olsen never came back quite right.  I forgot which other receivers they were talking about but it was just convincing enough for me to drop Olsen.  Plus, when Olsen came back he immediately re-aggravated it and was out of the game.  I'm just worried that he's not fully healed and will end up re-aggravating it again.  Can't take that chance this late in the season.   Also going with Burton because the last time I played him when Ertz was out he caught 4 for 40 and a TD. 

Edited by tosberg34

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

What if by some miracle Ertz suits up and I'm stuck with Burton in the later game?  At least with Kroft I know what I'm getting in the early game.  If Ertz is labeled OUT before the early games it makes it easier.

Gotcha, as an Ertz owner I didn’t see it as close. In your case is Seals Jones also out there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Gotcha, as an Ertz owner I didn’t see it as close. In your case is Seals Jones also out there?

Dwayne Allen and Ben Watson are the only TEs available on the waiver wire.

20 minutes ago, TeeDub said:

Yeah, but how would u feel if kroft goes off on ur bench and burton does nothing in ur line up?

9 minutes ago, TeeDub said:

Yeah, but how would u feel if kroft goes off on ur bench and burton does nothing in ur line up?

Burton scored 40yds and a TD last time Ertz was out  :shrug:

Kroft and Burton are the same, IMO.   Both are TD dependent but Burton has the much better QB in a pass happy offense.

Edited by tosberg34

15 minutes ago, TeeDub said:

Given the context of what you're replying to I believe you meant what if Burton goes off on your bench and Kroft gives you nothing?