What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trey Burton - TE (Colts) (1 Viewer)

Given the context of what you're replying to I believe you meant what if Burton goes off on your bench and Kroft gives you nothing?
I meant what if you benched kroft for burton and kroft is the one that puts up big numbers today, while burton does nothing. 

It's really a coin flip between the two. 

I can tell you're already sold on kroft, so I say go with him. 

I meant what if you benched kroft for burton and kroft is the one that puts up big numbers today, while burton does nothing. 

It's really a coin flip between the two. 

I can tell you're already sold on kroft, so I say go with him. 
I'm not sold on Kroft at all and I'm still thinking it over.  Are we sure Ertz is OUT?

I'm deciding between Burton and Clay and have to make the decision in about 20 minutes since I'll be offline the rest of the day.

I'm not sold on Kroft at all and I'm still thinking it over.  Are we sure Ertz is OUT?
From ur posts I've been reading it sounds like you're sold on kroft over burton. 

At this point I'm pretty sure he's out. I can't remember the last time I remember a player getting cleared this late after only getting limited practices. 

If I didn't have Olsen I would rather pick up burton and wait it out, than automatically start kroft

From ur posts I've been reading it sounds like you're sold on kroft over burton. 

At this point I'm pretty sure he's out. I can't remember the last time I remember a player getting cleared this late after only getting limited practices. 

If I didn't have Olsen I would rather pick up burton and wait it out, than automatically start kroft
Do you worry about Celek splitting the wealth with Burton?

Do you worry about Celek splitting the wealth with Burton?
Definitely, but I see more upside in that game than kroft. There should be a lot of offense in that game. 

With the bengals vs bears, I see a lot of gio Bernard and majority of the passing game going to aj green

Definitely, but I see more upside in that game than kroft. There should be a lot of offense in that game. 

With the bengals vs bears, I see a lot of gio Bernard and majority of the passing game going to aj green
I definitely agree with your second sentence.

As of right now I'm going with Burton over Kroft in one league (keep changing my mind) and Julius Thomas over Burton in another (never doubted this one).

update went with Burton over Julius Thomas as well

Last edited by a moderator:
(Rotoworld) Coach Matt Nagy confirmed new TE Trey Burton will play the Travis Kelce role in the Bears' offense.

Analysis: It's a receiver-tight end hybrid spot called the "U" in Nagy's offense. "Its an important role," Nagy said. "Its easy to create some plays for. And when you have a guy that has the size that Trey has and the speed that he has, its about mismatches." Burton (6'2/224) isn't nearly as big as Kelce (6'5/255), but they ran nearly identical forties coming out of college at 4.62 and 4.61, respectively. Burton might be the better athlete. Burton has big breakout potential

Damn. This guy has been on and off my squad the past couple of years as a speculative flyer.  When it looked like he was going to be buried on the Eagles depth chart I finally dumped him for good - and now we get this news.  Grrrrr

(Rotoworld) Coach Matt Nagy confirmed new TE Trey Burton will play the Travis Kelce role in the Bears' offense.

Analysis: It's a receiver-tight end hybrid spot called the "U" in Nagy's offense. "Its an important role," Nagy said. "Its easy to create some plays for. And when you have a guy that has the size that Trey has and the speed that he has, its about mismatches." Burton (6'2/224) isn't nearly as big as Kelce (6'5/255), but they ran nearly identical forties coming out of college at 4.62 and 4.61, respectively. Burton might be the better athlete. Burton has big breakout potential
This confirms what everyone should have known as soon as they saw the size of his contract...he is going to get every opportunity to be successful in that offense...now if you think he doesn't have the talent to succeed that is a different discussion...if you can snag him as a #2 you should be real happy...you than can decide if you want to sit tight with nice depth or  wait till the season starts, see how he does and if he does become Kelce-light you can either deal him or whoever you have over him...real nice guy to have on your roster right now...especially if you got him cheap/before the hype...

I think Shaheen could have something to say about this in camp.
2 years from now, maybe.

Knowing the offensive inside-out is one of the biggest reasons why the Bears went after the young tight end. Burton was entrenched in Doug Pederson's offense in Kansas City the last three seasons and a similar offense is set to be run in Chicago under Nagy. Pederson held the role of offensive coordinator in Kansas City under Andy Reid with Nagy as the quarterbacks coach before he took on the head-coaching job with the Philadelphia Eagles.

“[Eagles coach Doug Pederson] and I being together in Kansas City, Doug has taken that to Philadelphia now, and the verbiage and the terminology is the same," Nagy said, via Jahns. "So you see that, and he was their second, sometimes third, tight end in Philadelphia. Well, now we’re going to put him in a role where those numbers are going to be able to jump up. And that’s on us to be able to do that.”

Burton has the traits of previously successful tight ends in this system. Like Zach Ertz in Philadelphia and Travis Kelce in Kansas City, Burton is a versatile "move" tight end who can do a little bit of everything. While maybe not as powerful and physically overpowering as Ertz and Kelce, Burton has a comparable skillset to the pair. On the surface it may seem like the Bears overpaid for their new tight end, but if Nagy feels like he is the best fit for the offense, fans have to trust their new head coach.

Quoted from the article Faust posted.

I've posted elsewhere about this but i'll comment here for the record. Shaheen's value is hurt by the Burton signing, obviously. he's not expected to get the targets and/or opportunities that Burton will. his best chance at near term value is in the red zone. he's got the size and athleticism to be a TD magnet. 

:blackdot:

Faces in new places:

...the hiring of pass-heavy head coach Matt Nagy, the Bears look very much to be shifting to a pass-oriented offense. That's a significant development 

... Burton, who played fewer than 30 percent of the Philadelphia Eagles' snaps in each of his four seasons with them, should play a Travis Kelce-like role in Nagy's offense. While Trubisky's and Burton's track records might not show it, they possess generous midrange QB2 and TE1 potential entering 2018

Trey Burton - TE -  Bears

Trey Burton caught 4-of-5 targets for 45 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' third preseason game Saturday night.

Burton got all of his production in barely over a quarter. Built more like a wide receiver than tight end, Burton projects to play a major role in Chicago's revamped passing game, where Mitchell Trubisky excelled targeting the middle of the field as a rookie. Burton will run roughly half of his routes in the slot. He looked like Trubisky's go-to guy in Saturday night's exhibition.

Aug 19 - 12:06 AM

One of my favorite sleeper picks this year. His OC turns TEs into studs. At least before they get their bell rung too many times (cough, Reed, cough)!

Drafting in a slow draft at the 3.02 ... debating which TE to take at which point (working backwards through roster construction).

As far as projected points, the clear winner is Kelce at 3.02 and then go WR/WR with the later two picks. But this strategy also has the least upside. 

Burton would have to finish at TE9 or higher to close the points difference and for him to be worth selecting instead.  That combination has the most upside - something like Tyreek/Cooks/Burton.... all have upside beyond those draft positions.    Kelce/Cooks/Crowder has a higher floor but not as much upside. Basically zero upside, since you're taking Kelce at max value.

3.02 - Kelce 195 .. Fitz/Hill - 205 ... 
5.02 - Graham/Olsen .. 160 ... Goodwin/Cooks/Robinson .. 185
7.02 - Burton/walker/rudolph 140 ... crowder/sanders 170

Kelce - 195, 185, 170 ... 550 ... highest floor, lowest upside
Graham/Olsen - 205, 160, 170 ... 535
Burton - 205u, 185, 140 ... 530 ... most upside, lowest floor

(points projection based through 15 games)

Anyone have any thoughts?

The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs expects Trey Burton to challenge Martellus Bennett's franchise record for receiving yards in a season by a tight end.

Bennett's record is 916 yards, set in 2014. Travis Kelce and Rob Gronkowski both topped 1,000 yards last season and were the only two to produce more than 850 receiving yards. (Zach Ertz was No. 3 at 824.) If Burton is to challenge Bennett's record, it would immediately put him in the top-four fantasy tight ends. Burton smashed in the Bears' last preseason game, amassing a 4-45-1 line in just over a quarter of play and has looked like Mitchell Trubisky's go-to target.

Source: Chicago Tribune 

Aug 22 - 11:28 AM

Oh yeah it's coming! Even more so now that there is less competition at the TE spot....at least to start the season anyway. Burton looks like a big part of the game plan.....

Bumping this thread to generate some discussion. Clearly he has not lived up to preseason hype.

If the problem is Trubisky, then I would guess the underperformance is likely to last the entire season.

Play calling? There is lots of upside in Burton's utilization but then again I have no idea why he hasn't been featured more in the first two games.

It's clearly neither the defenses (GB, SEA) nor the talent.

Patience? Concern?

The problem is Trubsky can’t see the entire field. Burton is open all the time, but the mediocre qb of the Bears isn’t accurate either. He has a weak pocket presence and limited vision. I expected to see better usage the first 2 games. Bears defense will unfortunately lead this team to 6-7 wins instead of the 3-4 wins with Mitch. This high paid Qb did nothing in the off-season to improve.

Just based on watching the games on live TV, not studying video, Trubisky looks like he is both not going through all his target progressions and is quick to leave the pocket.  The result seems to be he's looking for the #1 target on most plays, which right now seems to be ARob.

For what it's worth, again just observationally, it did look like Burton was running a lot of shorter, cross field and clearing routes, which would theoretically be in the wheelhouse of where Trubisky seems to be at right now.

Just based on watching the games on live TV, not studying video, Trubisky looks like he is both not going through all his target progressions and is quick to leave the pocket.  The result seems to be he's looking for the #1 target on most plays, which right now seems to be ARob.

For what it's worth, again just observationally, it did look like Burton was running a lot of shorter, cross field and clearing routes, which would theoretically be in the wheelhouse of where Trubisky seems to be at right now.
Yes. That last part is what has me a little perplexed.

In the preseason what I observed was Burton running those types of routes and then being the first option. Get him either in space or exploiting an LB mismatch and get him the ball quick (similar to Cohen but more downfield).

Trevathan is a great cover LB so maybe that explains ineffectiveness Bears' game. Although with D. Bucanon and the Tampa LB's next up that will also be no picnic.

I suppose remain patient given the talent and Nagy but clearly something is not working.

Trubisky

Yeah Burton is a hold but it's frustrating. His depth per target definitely changed in Game 2 and he seems to be running a lot more routes closer to the LOS (eyetest). Trubisky's decision making is just subpar right now. 

Didn’t chicago barely play their starters in preseason...maybe that’s part of the offensive woes. Still have faith Burton will be a top option this year 

Hold for me too, I have Dissly staring me in the face on waivers, but I can't do it. 

Hoping for better weeks

Debating cutting bait for OJ Howard. Surprised to see OJH getting more playing time than ain't great Brate.

Debating cutting bait for OJ Howard. Surprised to see OJH getting more playing time than ain't great Brate.
I drafted and rostered him in one league and the subscriber contest. I've been more than pleasantly surprised with his output, though his targets have been 2 and 4, respectively, he's just done a lot with them.  

Trey Burton - TE -  Bears

Trey Burton hauled in 2-of-4 passes for 86 yards and one score in Sunday's Week 4 win over the Bucs.

After plodding through subpar performances during Chicago's first three games, Burton went as Mitchell Trubisky went, corralling one of the second-year pro's career-high six touchdowns on the day. To this point, Burton had merely posted a season-high of 55 yards and had yet to get into the end zone. Burton's lone touchdown on the day admittedly occurred during a complete breakdown in the Bucs' hapless secondary. It won't always be this easy for the Bears' offense, but it was good to see Burton finally get off the schneid and flash the rapport he showed with Trubisky in the preseason. He'll remain a low-end TE1 moving forward given the position's dreadful drop-off from years past.

Sep 30 - 9:24 PM

Anyone other owners getting antsy? Brate is still out there in the league where I own Burton. Part of me is thinking that with True Biscuits out, Chicago offense could really struggle. But the other part of me is thinking, for all his ups and downs, Burton is the TE7, and I should just be happy and continue riding him ROS.

Anyone other owners getting antsy? Brate is still out there in the league where I own Burton. Part of me is thinking that with True Biscuits out, Chicago offense could really struggle. But the other part of me is thinking, for all his ups and downs, Burton is the TE7, and I should just be happy and continue riding him ROS.
If I could get Brate I would. I don't have that option. I'm rolling with Burton because my waiver wire is gross.

I grabbed Brate last night and instantly put him in my starting lineup, FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread