Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigSteelThrill

Joe Schobert now NFL leader in tackles*

23 posts in this topic

2017 UPDATE*  Now at MLB in the Greg Williams D'.

After putting out their depth chart with Orchard at the lead on Moday 9/5.... the Browns updated it today 9/6 with the NFLs 4.01 rookie pick Joe Schobert as the starter.

I re-watched the week 3 game vs Tampa Bay:

1. The team played a 3-3-5 a vast majority of the time. With only 1 OLB out there, either Kruger, Orchard or Schobert.
  2.  Paul Kruger was always on the left (with 3 big lineman) was a worthless slug and subsequently cut.
  3. Nate Orchard was on the right of the big 3 when it was his turn. Had up-field speed but showed little else. Especially with contain.
  4. Joe Schobert was always on the right and looked the part. Not a freak of an athlete by any means -- but did everything well. Run or pass rush. He got push on left tackles and tight-ends. Drew a holding penalty. Got good depth on his rush and dipped-the-corner well. Maintained edge responsibility terrifically. Adjusted to QBs and RBs who cut to either side of him. Chased plays wherever they went. Was a wrap up tackler.
  5. He came off on every 3rd down with more then about 4 yards to go. Not sure how this plays out going forward, but seems a 2-down player for now. May have been that nights scheme though.
  6. The Browns certainly seemed to "lose" pass rush when they took him off (or Orchard) and just left 3 or 4 big men to go after the QB. Not much penetration.
Edited by BigSteelThrill
1 person likes this

:thumbup:

Good info.

Orchard finished up on a high note last year but Schobert did outplay him in the preseason.

Ballzy call by Ray Horton to start the rookie,

This could pay off for him but I'm not sure what to expect IDP-wise.

2 hours ago, AnonymousBob said:

Ogbah also named one of the starters. Thought he was going to be DE this year?

In game #3, he saw action at both DE and OLB. He was a hand in the dirt 3-4 DE most of the game. He started as such. Nassib came in behind him and then he saw some snaps at OLB. In game 4, which I only see the gamebook, he is again at DE and so is Nassib. The website shows him at OLB opposite of Schobert now, so we will have to wait and see.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

I'd be a lot more interested if he were ILB

Yeah, still not really fantasy relevant except in the largest of leagues.

Ogbah might get DE next year. I would watch that.

Ive got Nassib in a couple of leagues. Im looking forward to seeing if I got something there or not.

12 hours ago, AnonymousBob said:

Ogbah also named one of the starters. Thought he was going to be DE this year?

The Browns base defense is a 3-4 and Ogbah isn't built like a 3-4 DE and wasn't holding up against the run there.  He's not a 5 (5-technique 3-4 DE).

------------------------

ClevelandTeams
‏@clevelandteams
@_PeteSmith_ can't Nassib and Ogdbah play the 5?

Pete Smith ‏@_PeteSmith_  Sep 4
Pete Smith Retweeted ClevelandTeams
Ogbah is a disaster there as a run defender

@_PeteSmith_ Are you getting the feeling Horton is moving from a hyrbid 3-4 to a hybrid 4-3?

Pete Smith ‏@_PeteSmith_  Sep 4
Pete Smith Retweeted William Coffman
He could, but I think much of that was due to not having a legit 5. Paea gives them the ability to have that.Pete Smith added,
William Coffman @Coffman_Law

8 hours ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

He is in a good statistical spot (rolb)... but he needs to get that 3-down designation with those pass rushing reps for solid use.

10 hours ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

He has DE eligibility in some leagues. That has to be fairly valuable. 

Not that any of them show any IDP value...

but Nate Orchard started at OLB last Sunday. And Carl Nassib is now showing as 3rd string DE.

Kirksey, Davis and Ogbah (more DE then OLB) all logged more snaps then Orchard, however.

Schobert had 16 and Lemonier (who pushed Nassib to non-active) 18.

***The Cleveland Browns .com depth chart which is updated on 9/27 shows Schobert as the starting OLB opposite Ogbah.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

14 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Not that any of them show any IDP value...

but Nate Orchard started at OLB last Sunday. And Carl Nassib is now showing as 3rd string DE.

Kirksey, Davis and Ogbah (more DE then OLB) all logged more snaps then Orchard, however.

Schobert had 16 and Lemonier (who pushed Nassib to non-active) 18.

***The Cleveland Browns .com depth chart which is updated on 9/27 shows Schobert as the starting OLB opposite Ogbah.

I said I didn't know what to expect from Schobert as a starter because Orchard is the pass rush guy and they are grooming Ogbah.  Nassib has a broken hand so he is OUT for a few more weeks.  

Schobert looked more like a natural fit inside but both Kirksey and the LB the Browns picked up from the Jets are doing great in the middle.  I think a lot of their production is due to the fine play of NT Danny Shelton who has really stepped up this year.  

Schobert is getting snaps in a rotation on the outside.  Ogbah is making progress each week and I think he's going to start making traps and become IDP relevant soon but not right now.  Orchard gets a nice pass rush push but he's smaller and has trouble setting the edge.  If anyone will emerge as an IDP OLB prospect on the Browns defense it will be Ogbah IMHO.  I haven't seen enough of Schobert to say he will or won't be relevant but I see enough from Ogbah to see his development and potential.

This kid is looking damn good in the middle of Greg Williams 4-3.

Impressive two weeks in a row. And Carder got banged up.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:09 AM, Hankmoody said:

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Williams put Kirksey at MIKE and played Pryor at WILL.  If KIrksey does stay at WILL I like Schobert over Carder.

Well part 1 accomplished.  Can he be a 3 down guy though?  He was all over the place last night and looked the part but not sure what their sub packages will look like.  Collins is a pretty good pass rusher and Schobert's roots are as a 3-4 rush OLB so maybe they go 3-3-5.

15 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

This kid is looking damn good in the middle of Greg Williams 4-3.

Impressive two weeks in a row. And Carder got banged up.

He was on his way to beating Tank anyway.  Looked strong with the 2's last week and was dominant last night.

5 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Well part 1 accomplished.  Can he be a 3 down guy though?  He was all over the place last night and looked the part but not sure what their sub packages will look like.  Collins is a pretty good pass rusher and Schobert's roots are as a 3-4 rush OLB so maybe they go 3-3-5.

If he keeps playing like that then he will force more 3 LB packages.  I think he's ultimately best fit as a rotational guy, but he's certainly earned some rope.

1 person likes this

4 tackles and an assist on the first drive.   IF you were able to grab him before tonight, congrats.

They have been in base all night too, even with TBB in a whole lot of 11 personnel.

Opportunity makes for a great FF LBer. The Browns are going to be pretty good, talent-wise, on defense but the team will still struggle enough to need them on the field a lot. Could be some good FF defense numbers to be had here in IDP.

Joe Schobert and Blake Martinez finish tied for the NFL lead in total tackles. 144.

Blake had more solos while Joe had more sacks.

:thumbup:

1 person likes this