What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If You Could Pick One Break Out Player This Year........ (1 Viewer)

Milkman

Footballguy
If you could pick one break out player this year, that will be drafted late, who would it be and why?

I'm going with

Vance McDonald

Last Year Kelly was the coach of the Eagles where his offense targeted the TE twenty one more times than the 49er's did. That's a 16% increase in overall targets for the position. SF has let Boldin and Vernon Davis walk which is 141 targets lost. SF also just lost Bruce Ellington the starting slot receiver for the season. They have since replaced him with Jeremy Kerley who looks to be heavily targeted this year as well.

Gabbert was inserted into the starting lineup week 9 and McDonald was targeted 35 times a game in 7 games. With Kelly's offense targeting the TE 16% more, at least 141 targets that need to be replace, Philly's up tempo offense, and the relationship Gabbert and McDonald have formed dating back to week 9 last year I think there is a fair amount of evidence pointing to McDonald expanding his role. I mean who are they going to throw to in the red zone? Two more targets a game is not out of the question. So putting McDonald's targets at 7 isn't out of the question and when we do we get TE1 output that looks like this.

112 targets * 65% catch rate = 72 catches

10.9 YPC  * 72 catches = 793

.42 TD/gm * 16 = 7 TD's

All this adds up to a projected season of 72-793-7 which would have put him as the 6th ranked TE in my league(PPR) last year. Not bad for a guy that goes undrafted in most drafts.

How late is late?  10th RD and beyond?   

I'll go with Chris hogan.  I really think henisngoingnro shine in that pats offense.  People are comparing him to Edelman but that's just BC he's white. 

Hes much bigger than Edelman.  He's their only big redzone target (as a wr). I think he takes that Brandon lafell role and realizes the potential that lafell couldn't realize because hogan can actually catch the ball while lafell could not. 

Miya easy to see that belichek and Brady are high on hogan.  The writing is on the wall for him similar to Dion Lewis last year.  

I'm predicting 900 yds and 8tds. 

I'd predict mew if Brady  was playing all 16 games.  

I also think Dwayne Allen finally puts it all together this year.  Chud coached some of the best tight ends in the game.  All had their best seasons under him.  Now he's got Allen.  Luck likes to throw to the te and Allen is a great red zone weapon.  No fleener.  Health is the only thing stopping him from double digit tds. 

How late is late?  10th RD and beyond?   

I'll go with Chris hogan.  I really think henisngoingnro shine in that pats offense.  People are comparing him to Edelman but that's just BC he's white. 

Hes much bigger than Edelman.  He's their only big redzone target (as a wr). I think he takes that Brandon lafell role and realizes the potential that lafell couldn't realize because hogan can actually catch the ball while lafell could not. 

Miya easy to see that belichek and Brady are high on hogan.  The writing is on the wall for him similar to Dion Lewis last year.  

I'm predicting 900 yds and 8tds. 

I'd predict mew if Brady  was playing all 16 games.  

I also think Dwayne Allen finally puts it all together this year.  Chud coached some of the best tight ends in the game.  All had their best seasons under him.  Now he's got Allen.  Luck likes to throw to the te and Allen is a great red zone weapon.  No fleener.  Health is the only thing stopping him from double digit tds. 
I agree.

Whoever sleeps with a Kardashian......jk....how about a long shot Jesse James.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen Hurns. There's a reason he got paid like an All-Pro. He simply knows how to get open and Bortles trusts him in the redzone. If he can see a slight uptick in targets, he could put up comparable numbers to his teammate at a fraction of the cost.

Hmmm let me look...

Kenneth Dixon is going to pay off patient owners and help power some teams down the stretch.  It will be really helpful if the Ravens are in wildcard contention and just want the best guy getting as much as he can handle. The Ronnie Stanley addition is huge.  He will also avoid much of the rookie wall with his current 5-7 week layoff.

Non rookie?  Charles Clay. As a top 7 TE when its all said and done. He is now there #2 receiving option. Taylor and him have solid chemistry. And they dont have that bigboy goalline TD option in Karlos Williams this year.  Rex and co. now have full confidence in the QB and should Clay and Taylor play a full compliment of games, this seems like a likely outcome.

I'll go with Jared Cook. I snatched him off the FA list when I saw the chemistry he & Rodgers had in week 3's dress rehearsal. 

For some inexplicable reason he's still listed behind Richard Rodgers as the #2 TE, but I don't really buy that - Rodgers had 1 catch all preseason, and Cook has been seemingly unstoppable. And when Rodgers has chemistry with a reliable TE target, that target usually has fantasy value. 

I know he's been hyped in the past, but for a late round pick (or FA acquisition) he's a nice gamble for a monster season. I could see double digit TDs as an outside possibility. 

I think Phillip Dorsett could have a pretty good year. The Colts are going to pass a lot. Maybe enough to yield three 1,000+ yard guys.

As far as deep sleepers go, I have Quinton Patton on a bunch of dynasty teams. It's actually quite hard to make an NFL roster, but he has done it every season in SF and is finally poised to be a starter now that Boldin is gone. He's not a world-beater and there likely won't be enough targets there to make him a great option, but I think he has the talent to do a "Stevie Johnson in Buffalo" if they feed him the ball. He's a guy I would be looking at in best ball and deep leagues.

I'll go with Jared Cook. I snatched him off the FA list when I saw the chemistry he & Rodgers had in week 3's dress rehearsal. 

For some inexplicable reason he's still listed behind Richard Rodgers as the #2 TE, but I don't really buy that - Rodgers had 1 catch all preseason, and Cook has been seemingly unstoppable. And when Rodgers has chemistry with a reliable TE target, that target usually has fantasy value. 

I know he's been hyped in the past, but for a late round pick (or FA acquisition) he's a nice gamble for a monster season. I could see double digit TDs as an outside possibility. 
:goodposting:

Thought for sure he'd not be mentioned yet because owners have been burned so much. He's my breakout pick as well. Feels a bit Julius Thomas Denver-ish.

I like the Vance McDonald call. I am having a heck of a time deciding between him and Virgil Green as late TE sleepers. I think both have the opportunity and talent to crack the top 10 at their positions, and I have one or both in every league. 

Also, I think Ameer Abdullah will be a borderline RB1 (sorry, that is technically 2 or even 3 guys).

Also, I think Ameer Abdullah will be a borderline RB1 (sorry, that is technically 2 or even 3 guys).
DET coaches seem hesitant to give him enough production to warrant that ranking. 

He's a 'tweener - too small for GL or between the tackles stuff, and not as good as Theo in pass protection or as a receiver. 

He is a superstar talent, and I invested in him last year believing in that talent. If Riddick were to go down with injury, he'd be a stud. But I think ZZ is going to be the handcuff to Riddick regardless, so Abdullah will likely be a "secret weapon" type - high ceiling, rough weekly floor. 

Dwayne Washington, DET RB becomes this years David Johnson. Starts the year off with a couple of nice returns and a long run. Ends up winning FF championships in the second half. A long shot homer pick....one can dream right?

I agree with Vance McDonald. I didn't draft him anywhere, but I am tinkering picking him up to rotate between him and Jared Cook in one league.

Tajae Sharpe.

I have been "slowly buying in" to the hype train, and the chatter has been going for weeks. (albeit is just a whisper still mostly)

In the last month or so absolutely no one has basically stood up and said "I want to be a wideout for this ball club" other than Sharpe.

Kendall Wright looks to have finally found himself in the doghouse, and he seems like he doesn't care anymore. (I used to believe in that guys talent, its like he just lost his desire to be therein TEN anymore) Plus he had some injuries etc.

Do I think Tajae Sharpe will be a top 6-7 WR?  Absolutely not.

But the leagues I play in are "start 3WRs" and I can easily see him being a WR3 at times, and I already have him as my bye week fill in in leagues.

I think 950+ yards and 8-9 TDs could be in order, and possibly more. He could well end up just inside the top 30 at WR. League changer?  NO. But someone who you might be able to snag for some help if one of your studs goes down.

Thats the type of guy that saves fantasy seasons in my book, since not all of our precious studs will go injury free this season....at least mine don't.

Not sure if you guys consider that a "true breakout", but he is just the type of guy I like to have on my bench, in the event of a stud going down.

Dwayne Washington, DET RB becomes this years David Johnson. Starts the year off with a couple of nice returns and a long run. Ends up winning FF championships in the second half. A long shot homer pick....one can dream right?
I really think he could be the long term answer. Chris Spielman was raving about him all preseason.

From the 10th or later? 

Brock Osweiler

Tevin Coleman

Mike Wallace (perhaps more of a rebound than Breakout)

Eric Ebron

I really like tj yeldon.  Big running back in a high octane offense and he is adapt at catching the ball.  I think he is in for a big year.  

Travis Benjamin

Out of no where in his 3rd Season he almost eclipses 1,000 yds

Now hes got Rivers throwing the ball

Aint often a guy you draft in the 9th outperforms your WR1..

Was coming in here to post Vance McDonald. Everything seems set up for him to have a solid season. The 49ers WRs are nothing special, a QB that he has a rapport with, and a TE friendly offensive scheme. When Kelly was with the Eagles, the TEs as a whole put up good numbers every year. I don't see why McDonald couldn't finish in the TE1 range.

This may be technically against the rules since he went earlier than round ten, but since he is totally unproven with a ton of question marks, I think Matt Jones will be a breakout player this season. People are already talking about who's going to replace him as a starter.  I believe he will have a season similar to what Alfred Morris did in 2012 and will be a legit RB1 this year.

On one of my teams, I have McDonald, Rogers, and Thomas. So I'm really hoping at least one of them turns into something this year.

I do agree that Michael Thomas could have a big year. He was listed as the WR2 yesterday on the Saints' depth chart. With the way their offense operates, I could see him finishing in the low WR2/high WR3 range this year. Especially if the talk over Fleener having some trouble catching onto the offense is true.

I really like tj yeldon.  Big running back in a high octane offense and he is adapt at catching the ball.  I think he is in for a big year.  
Plus ivory is already hurt with a soft tissue injury, as he's inclined to do. 

I grabbed Yeldon in my last draft and loved the value - wish I'd grabbed him in both. 

Going outside of the box, but I think Eagles DST will be top 5.  Schwartz has something to prove and Hicks is back and healthy.  In high scoring DST leagues I grabbed them all over the place, at a massive discount to Carolina, Arizona, Seattle, etc.

Going outside of the box, but I think Eagles DST will be top 5.  Schwartz has something to prove and Hicks is back and healthy.  In high scoring DST leagues I grabbed them all over the place, at a massive discount to Carolina, Arizona, Seattle, etc.
Agree with this.   I think eagles d is the next breakout elite d in the league.  Their front 7 is nasty, and Jim Schwartz coached defenses always rank highly.  If your league rewards for turnovers I think you'll be happy if you have them.  

I'm in 2 leagues and starting them in both this week.  One league over Carolina.  

How about Eli Rogers,slot wr in Pitt?  He's still flying under the radar.  Maybe a better play in ppr, but the team is raving about him. Especially Big Ben.  Plus no wr has staked claim to the #2 role yet.  Wheaton and Coates are talented but they're not consistent.  Heath Miller is gone.  

The signs are all there that Rogers could have a huge years of nowhere.  He might be ben's 2nd read when brown is bracketed.  

80 rec, 1000 yards and 4-5 tds could be in the cards for Rogers.  

I was just coming to post this. They have talent and Schwartz is a defensive wizard who will have them sacking the QB like mad.

A lot of people are sleeping on them too. They were one of only 8 DSTs on my league's WW.

I'm going to throw out Chris Conley.  Yes we know what type of QB Alex Smith is but he's proven he relies on certain people.  I think without Charles (or when healthy and "older" Charles) he lets it fly a little bit more and Conley has all the measureables and the #2 role behind Maclin, could have some very nice weeks.  He started getting a little more comfortable last year, he played every game last year for valuable reps, and is a great flier.

QB Dak Prescott

We could see him throing to Dez and Witten and Elliot and doing very very well ... he could be a top 10 QB or top 7 maybe

Not many long shots can give you a top 7-10 type finish. 

WR Tajae Share TEN ..... WR1 for Mariota. Now will that be 90 targets or 130 targets I dunno but Sharpe won't be double teams for weeks and he might have an explosive season. Maybe. 

QB Dak Prescott

We could see him throing to Dez and Witten and Elliot and doing very very well ... he could be a top 10 QB or top 7 maybe

Not many long shots can give you a top 7-10 type finish. 

WR Tajae Share TEN ..... WR1 for Mariota. Now will that be 90 targets or 130 targets I dunno but Sharpe won't be double teams for weeks and he might have an explosive season. Maybe. 
I feel like ya just helped the slowest of the slow, mentioning Dak   But ya pretty much won this thread too  Good Job!

I keep hearing this Tajae guys name   I hope too see highlight film soon!   (I do like Mariota too)

I was just coming to post this. They have talent and Schwartz is a defensive wizard who will have them sacking the QB like mad.

A lot of people are sleeping on them too. They were one of only 8 DSTs on my league's WW.
They have - at least on paper - a favorable start with Cleveland and Chicago. Basically the main reason I drafted them.

We may get a sense about how good the D can be after a few weeks.

zamboni said:
They have - at least on paper - a favorable start with Cleveland and Chicago. Basically the main reason I drafted them.

We may get a sense about how good the D can be after a few weeks.
I've been targeting them for months as this year's Denver. My one worry is Wentz. I remember a couple years ago, when Palmer/Stanton got hurt and AZ's season fell apart, someone made a really good point: No matter how good a defense is, when they have zero confidence that the offense will do anything once they get the ball back, it can really take a toll. And I think Wentz has the potential to be cover-your-eyes bad. But yeah, the good news is you can roll with them for a couple weeks and then dump them if they're not living up to their billing.

As for the OP, my guess is the breakout player is someone who hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Plus ivory is already hurt with a soft tissue injury, as he's inclined to do. 

I grabbed Yeldon in my last draft and loved the value - wish I'd grabbed him in both. 
I am convinced now he is a turd. I watched him every game last year....and again this pre-season.

He is very very average. Ivory should have no problem being the lead horse there over the course of the season. And yeah he is always on the injured list...nothing new here.

I talked about Travis Benjamin in another thread. I think this kid can blow up this season with Rivers. I also think Jeremy Hill has a huge chance to show how good he really is this season and put it all together.

Carr and Cooper IMO will be the premier combo this upcoming year at QB/WR. Huge year in store for those ascending talents.

I am convinced now he is a turd. I watched him every game last year....and again this pre-season.

He is very very average. Ivory should have no problem being the lead horse there over the course of the season. And yeah he is always on the injured list...nothing new here
Really? I thought Yeldon had a nice stretch of productive games at the end of last year. It's RBBC at worst, and IMO Yelson should be more productive, especially when playing from behind (PPR) and as Ivory battles soft tissue injuries seemingly constantly. 

Seems like Yeldon burned a lot of folks who expected him to be the next MJD as a rookie...

Users who are viewing this thread