What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Tragically Hip/Gord Downie (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while, so here goes. Most people likely know who The Tragically Hip are, they're the band that sells out stadiums in Canada that never really broke through in the states. They've started to get more US media coverage in the past months, with their lead singer Gord Downie being diagnosed with brain cancer and going on one final tour. In this thread, I'm going to slowly go through their best songs and albums, along with some of the more recent press pieces on them for context on what they mean in Canada.

The Hip aren't my favourite band but I like them a lot, I've seen them live four times, including in Toronto, Bobcaygeon and Kingston (cities which are important in context to the band) and on their farewell tour that has recently concluded (they named it the Man Machine Tour after their new album and deliberately didn't call it a goodbye tour but he does have inoperable brain cancer).

For some context on how big they are, last week Frank Ocean's Blonde was the third largest grossing debut of the year in the United States. In Canada, it failed to even reach #1 on the Canadian album charts. Rather #1 was The Hip's compilation double album Yer Favourites, which was released in 2005. Three other Hip albums cracked the top 10 in Canada and all 17 of their albums (yeah this thread is going to take some time) re enterred the top 100. The CBC special of their last concert was watched by over 10 million people (Canada's population is just over 30 million).

Like I say, I'm going to try to provide context and highlight some of their songs and albums. I'm going to start with a recent review from one of my favourite music critics (great follow on Twitter), Matthew Perpetua.

The song he reviewed is "Ahead by a Century". This is the last song The Tragically Hip played at their last concert and if you have to pick one song to represent the band, this is the one I would go with. It starts acoustic and swells in the chorus and has the typical vague Gord Downie lyrics. It's maybe their most well known song but it also might be their best.

Here is the studio version of "Ahead by a Century", here is the live version of it from their last concert, where you can hear it really come alive.

This is the review of it by Matthew Perpetua:

Like pretty much all other Americans, I had ignored The Tragically Hip through their entire career. I knew about them. I knew they were hugely popular in Canada, but were at best a cult act in the United States. I was dimly aware of a song of theirs called “Butts Wigglin’” in the ‘90s, and must have decided they were basically another Barenaked Ladies and did not give them any thought at all until just recently, when they played their final run of shows after their frontman Gord Downie was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. After reading a few rather heartfelt tributes to the band, I decided to actually listen to them. As it turns out, they’re…not like the Barenaked Ladies. Their music generally falls into this post R.E.M./U2 aesthetic – really, more like Live than either of those two bands – but even the most blah songs are lifted up by Downie’s words, which are genuinely poetic and thoughtful, and uniquely obsessed with Canadian culture and life. The song that really grabbed me and got under my skin was “Ahead By A Century,” which turns out to be their biggest chart hit. It’s a little like encountering R.E.M. for the first time in 2016 and being like “wow, you guys, this ‘Losing My Religion’ song is just terrific!” But that’s how it happened.

“Ahead By A Century” has a peculiar emotional resonance, mainly because the band is mixing overt sentimentality with this sort of oblique tone. The main guitar part is lovely but would be extremely cloying if it weren’t played in an open tuning that brightens the first half of the riff but darkens the hammered notes at the end. Downie’s words fall in an intriguing gap between the universal – small moments in our youth that in retrospect are crucial to our development into adulthood – and the enigmatic in their strange specificity. You relate to the broader experience of having had experiences, but it’s hard to say what these particular vignettes are supposed to add up to. But then, if someone pushed you to explain why odd little moments from your own life have stuck with you, you’d probably have a hard time explaining them too.

The most ambiguous thing about “Ahead By A Century” is the chorus, and the question of who Downie is addressing, and what “you are ahead by a century” actually means. It’s such an evocative phrase – self-effacing and guilt-ridden, but also full of awe for whoever it is he’s singing about. This is never resolved in the song, but he adds “and disappointing you is getting me down” at the end of the last chorus, which at least clarifies that the phrase is intended to communicate a feeling of inadequacy. It’s such a potent feeling, but Downie doesn’t oversell it. He’s presenting a complicated set of feelings but refuses to connect the dots, just trusting the listener to recognize this pattern of thoughts and emotions.

That final show was mesmerizing...I'm not sure I left my couch other than to grab beers between the regular set/encores.  It was like a religious experience.

That final show was mesmerizing...I'm not sure I left my couch other than to grab beers between the regular set/encores.  It was like a religious experience.
It was an event here. In my town, they closed off a main street to show it to anyone who wanted to watch it in a family friendly environment. The local folk festival had it airing on a big screen in the middle of the woods, the largest night club in town had a party dedicated to showing it and so many pubs and clubs had their own version of a viewing party. 

We went to one of the pubs that has a large back patio with picnic table where they were showing it. We had a group of 6 and got down their a bit early to secure a picnic table and other than a few trips to the outdoor bar to get fresh pitchers, everyone was entranced. By the end, it was like being at a concert. Everyone had left the tables and gathered at the front of the stage to get closer and sing every song together. 

That show was broadcast from Kingston, the band's hometown. It's about two hours East of me but I visit it every week for my job. Interestingly enough, on their previous tour, we had seen them in Kingston and while the show was great, they made no big deal about it being in their home city. We were expecting this great homecoming - like there was for the concert that broadcast and it was like just another Hip show that night. :shrug:

I was in Vancouver a few weeks ago and they had flyers posted all over the place for this show. Like you said NV, I have heard of them but have never heard them. Will def check it out

This is probably the most amazing story of the year, of any ilk. I saw them open for page and plant In 95 I think... Hard to be four times.  Liked them but I only came to appreciate them somewhat 10 years ago or so. I've had my eye out to see them ever since and I didn't know of this situation until after the last show, otherwise I definitely would have gotten up there for a show. 

I've watched clips of the last show, the human drama going on there is like nothing I've ever seen  

Grace too, if there's a better song in the past 25 years, I don't know what it is.

It was an event here. In my town, they closed off a main street to show it to anyone who wanted to watch it in a family friendly environment. The local folk festival had it airing on a big screen in the middle of the woods, the largest night club in town had a party dedicated to showing it and so many pubs and clubs had their own version of a viewing party. 

We went to one of the pubs that has a large back patio with picnic table where they were showing it. We had a group of 6 and got down their a bit early to secure a picnic table and other than a few trips to the outdoor bar to get fresh pitchers, everyone was entranced. By the end, it was like being at a concert. Everyone had left the tables and gathered at the front of the stage to get closer and sing every song together. 
Outside my office, there is a local square, privately-owned, with a bar, small restaurant, seating area, etc.  It can probably hold a few hundred people comfortably, maybe 1-2 thousand if it's cramped.  When the final show was announced, the square partnered with a local brewery to have one giant bash.  Three screens, good beer, people can bring lawn chairs, etc. 

I started talking with a buddy at work about it, big Hip fan, and we both agreed that the space was way, way too small for the amount of people that were going to show.  I thought they should've blocked off the Sabres arena and played it on the jumbotron.  This space was just not big enough and they were grossly underestimating the Hip's fanbase.  It was heavily hyped all throughout town as the place to go for the final show.

Turns out, we were right.  The logistics were a disaster.  Three screens, but only 1 had sound.  The beer lines were 45 minutes+.  And the coup de grace, because of the neighborhood's noise laws, the sound was cut promptly at 11 PM, meaning the people on-site didn't actually get to hear the last 25-ish minutes of the show, the final encore.  It was an unmitigated disaster, the brewery has apologized profusely and has issued refunds to whoever wants them, even though all proceeds were going to Gord's charity.  Never underestimate the Hip's appeal in Buffalo.  They would regularly sell out the Sabres Arena, 18,000+, sometimes for back-to-back nights, during their Buffalo tour stops.  

I am so glad I stayed home and watched it on TV.  I realize not all TV packages get CBC here anymore, but thankfully my Time Warner does.  Couldn't be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while, so here goes. Most people likely know who The Tragically Hip are, they're the band that sells out stadiums in Canada that never really broke through in the states. They've started to get more US media coverage in the past months, with their lead singer Gord Downie being diagnosed with brain cancer and going on one final tour. In this thread, I'm going to slowly go through their best songs and albums, along with some of the more recent press pieces on them for context on what they mean in Canada.
Never heard of them.

My wifes family is a bunch of Canuckle Heads and they looked like I had an alien bursting out of my ### when I responded that I had no clue who The Hip were. 

:thumbup:  Love the responses so far. I'm going to jump all over chronologically but I think I'll at least try to stick to one album at a time so it isn't completely disjointed.

"Ahead by a Century" comes from The Hip's 6th album Trouble at the Henhouse. It came out in 1996 and by that time they were huge stars in Canada. Their first EP only made a ripple but their next 4 albums contain most of their biggest hits and the songs that had/have the biggest impact on rock (now classic rock) radio. Trouble at the Henhouse was a little different. Not as many out and out rockers, a bit slower but both at the time and especially as years passed, has come to be known as one of their very best.

The next great song from Trouble at the Henhouse is "Gift Shop" (it was also the second last song played at their last show as they tended to group songs from the same album together. Like ABAC, it starts out slow but this one gets to the guitars a lot quicker. That video I posted won the Canadian equivalent of an MTV Music Award. It's another staple for them and again like a lot of their songs, it comes across even better live - this is the live version of Gift Shop from an older live DVD of theirs, That Night in Toronto. Gives a good look at Downie's quirky stage presence

Next up and again typical of their sound in this period of time but more importantly because this video is fun as hell, here's "Springtime in Vienna" live at Woodstock 99It's kind of nice to remember Downie was skinny and balding 17 years ago and that his current look isn't necessarily as a result of his cancer battle.  

And one more from Trouble at the Henhouse is 700 ft Ceiling. This is a more traditional mainstream rock radio song that is more in line with their first few albums of direct radio hits. Even for the straight forward song though, there is a lot of interesting guitar work and the song is about a flood or getting really high or who knows what. The sound quality from this is excellent for YouTube. 

For those who have posted that they've never heard of them at all, this summary by Vox is very good. It's long, so I'm not pasting the whole think but here are some key excerpts but I do recommend clicking through and reading it if you're interested.

If you're not Canadian, you may have looked at your Twitter feed this past weekend and wondered, "Wait, what's the Tragically Hip?"

"Gord" is Gord Downie, the lead singer of the Tragically Hip with the most Canadian of names (see also: Lightfoot or Korman or Howe). He started the band in the mid-’80s with four of his high school friends — guitarists Paul Langlois and Rob Baker, bassist Gord Sinclair, and drummer Johnny Fay. They got their start in Kingston, Ontario, 265 kilometers east of Toronto (or 164 miles, but we're speaking Canadian here) and moved up from neighborhood bars to southern Ontario clubs to the Toronto music scene, becoming regulars at the legendary Horseshoe Tavern.

Downie has been called "Canada's poet laureate" and "Canada's troubadour," and the Hip called "Canada's band."

The closest analog in the US is someone like Bruce Springsteen, who sings about real people living real lives, or David Bowie, who grew up with his listeners. The common denominator is gravitas and a killer catalog.

The Hip’s is also a righteous catalog. The lyrics don't exclude. They don't center men over women. They don't pander. (That’s true even of the ones that almost do — "Scared" is as emo as it gets, until you listen to the lyrics, which are vaguely threatening in places, with strong World War II allusions, but I'd still melt for it on a mixtape today.) There are no gratuitous la-la-las, no boppy earworm hooks.

the Hip’s music was always the story. There were no backstage dramas or tabloid scandals; no reinventions with a flourish, no tell-alls. None of the members were pinups, or even celebrities, really.

But Gord Downie's voice — that we knew.

The thought of losing Downie’s voice was a shock. The news of his terminal cancer jolted Canadians out of complacent, static appreciation into full-throated adulation.

Was lucky enough to catch The Hip once on the HORDE tour back in '96.  Always been a casual fan and was heartbroken to hear about Gord's cancer diagnosis. Have a bunch of friends who were able to see this tour.

How do you explain the contrast of virtual anonymity in the US vs universal adoration in Canada? They're kind of like the musical version of curling. Or poutine. Weird but kind of cool. Will give them a listen. 

I have more than the average number of Canadian friends (no idea how or why) and this is a regular topic. The US is largely unaware of the TH and to Canadians it's the weirdest thing.

One of my friends told me he was on a flight from Dallas to Montreal last week. He said he heard a Texan woman ask a man next to her if he was from Montreal, he said no he was from BC. She said 'oh it must be nice for you to be so close to home now!' 

How do you explain the contrast of virtual anonymity in the US vs universal adoration in Canada? They're kind of like the musical version of curling. Or poutine. Weird but kind of cool. Will give them a listen. 
Canadian band singing about Canadian stuff probably doesn't get much love in the US. And they didn't have poppy crap to hit mainstream audiences.

"Sundown in the Paris of the prairies"

" Late breaking story on the CBCA nation whispers, "We always knew that he'd go free"They add, "You can't be fond of living in the past'Cause if you are then there's no way that you're going to last" "

As a huge fan of a band (Marillion) that is big in Europe and South America, but never been able to break through here in the U.S., I've been meaning to dig into the Tragically Hip more. Thanks for the thread!

Canadian band singing about Canadian stuff probably doesn't get much love in the US. And they didn't have poppy crap to hit mainstream audiences.

"Sundown in the Paris of the prairies"

" Late breaking story on the CBCA nation whispers, "We always knew that he'd go free"They add, "You can't be fond of living in the past'Cause if you are then there's no way that you're going to last" "
Bill Barilko disappeared that summer
He was on a fishing trip
The last goal he ever scored
Won the Leafs the cup
They didn't win another till nineteen sixty two
The year he was discovered
I stole this from a hockey card

Got into them around the Road Apples album. Seen them a bunch of times over the years. The fact they never broke big in the US or anywhere else, only makes them more endearing to us Canadians (also many of their songs/lyrics have strong Canadian references, which us canucks like since they didn't try to be American).  For the casual fan, get the 2-disc best-of otherwise dive into their '90s albums peak (start with Fully Completely and go from there).

brianj74 said:
Got into them around the Road Apples album. Seen them a bunch of times over the years. The fact they never broke big in the US or anywhere else, only makes them more endearing to us Canadians (also many of their songs/lyrics have strong Canadian references, which us canucks like since they didn't try to be American).  For the casual fan, get the 2-disc best-of otherwise dive into their '90s albums peak (start with Fully Completely and go from there).
My brother played minor league hockey, so of course he got exposed to them a lot.  

I had Road Apples on tape. I think it had the Bill Barilko song it, plus maybe:

At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Sorry to say it, but I think it's a lot weirder that they stayed popular in Canada than it is that they never got popular in the US.  It would be something like Ben Folds Five becoming the biggest band in the US in 1996 and just staying the same for 20 years, somehow remaining popular.  TH is just kind of boring.

Loving this thread. I was late to the party on this band! Heard a little about them and started to check them out and couldn't get enough of them. Northern Voice thanks for all the info. Starting to look at their early stuff which outstanding. Just a "cool" band. And they seem like what you think of in a band. I keep finding a new favorite song.

However, if you want to get a good look at the band the video I highly recommend is them playing Live at Woodstock 99. It is awesome! The band was on fire and played an hour and absolutely killed it. Great live sound. (careful, NSFW with the several boob shots in the crowd, call it a bonus I guess)

Here it is: (it's all good but fav, last song, "Fire in the Hole" around 54:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcK1P491lmk

Bill Barilko disappeared that summer
He was on a fishing trip
The last goal he ever scored
Won the Leafs the cup
They didn't win another till nineteen sixty two
The year he was discovered
I stole this from a hockey card
Classic

If theres a goal that everyone remembers

...it was back in ol '72

We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger

And all I remember is sitting beside you

You said you didn't give a F**k about hockey

Now I never saw someone say that before

You held my hand and we walked the long way

You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

Love the Trag. Always have, always will. For me it started in '90 with Road Apples. Heard songs like Cordelia, Little Bones and Bring it all back on the radio and was hooked... Fully Completely is so good its not even funny

My brother played minor league hockey, so of course he got exposed to them a lot.  

Sorry to say it, but I think it's a lot weirder that they stayed popular in Canada than it is that they never got popular in the US.  It would be something like Ben Folds Five becoming the biggest band in the US in 1996 and just staying the same for 20 years, somehow remaining popular.  TH is just kind of boring.
Ben Folds Five is a terrible comparison. The Hip are clearly in the R.E.M./Springsteen/Pearl Jam mould and their Canadian popularity and trajectory is the same as those bands. Most of their massive radio hits were in the 90s but they have huge legions of fans and they'll never not be loved and sell out stadiums. 

That's Fifty Mission Cap from Fully completely. Awesome song

Ben Folds Five is a terrible comparison. The Hip are clearly in the R.E.M./Springsteen/Pearl Jam mould and their Canadian popularity and trajectory is the same as those bands. Most of their massive radio hits were in the 90s but they have huge legions of fans and they'll never not be loved and sell out stadiums. 
Sorry but I'm  not gettin' the REM comparable. Can you help me with that?

Sorry but I'm  not gettin' the REM comparable. Can you help me with that?
Downie and Stipe are similar in a lot of ways. Both are a bit strange have a similar quirky stage presence, involved socially/activists, even lyrically. Their sounds are smart mainstream rock (college rock influence)

In the context of trajectory that I was referring to above, their biggest albums were late 80s early 90s (Out of Time, Automatic for the People) and their albums in subsequent years both continued to be very good and get attention from their large, loyal fanbases, but the best known/biggest hits remain the ones from the 90s.

Loved The Hip since college. I'm from MN so some may think I'm Canadian.

Just happened to wear a "Fully Completely" concert tee to a draft yesterday (yes, after the season started) and got many comments from people at the restaurant as well as fellow owners. Great band and still bringing people together. 

Downie and Stipe are similar in a lot of ways. Both are a bit strange have a similar quirky stage presence, involved socially/activists, even lyrically. Their sounds are smart mainstream rock (college rock influence)

In the context of trajectory that I was referring to above, their biggest albums were late 80s early 90s (Out of Time, Automatic for the People) and their albums in subsequent years both continued to be very good and get attention from their large, loyal fanbases, but the best known/biggest hits remain the ones from the 90s.
I see what you mean. I kind of thought of REM as an alt. pop group rather than a rock band. They sang songs like ...Stand, End of the world as we know it, Orange crush, The one I love and South central rain. They seemed more new wavish than the Trag ever did. But I do hear some similarities now that I think of it

Amazing our country chose George Bush twice and this band not at all. Let history show that at least some of us were blushing..

Yeah, it's interesting that there was no big carry over to the US. I have followed a couple of other Canadian bands that also didn't make a big splash in the US in "Great Big Sea" and "Spirit of the West". (2 more Great bands imo) I know there are a million bands out there and it's tough to break through anywhere but it's interesting that they didn't thrive over this side of the border.

Other bands? And why? Thoughts?

US bands that didn't make it big in Canada?

Love The Hip, one of my top ten bands for sure. Had a Canadian roommate in college that introduced me to them in the early 90s.

Their albums Up To Here, Road Apples, and Fully Completely are all still in my regular rotation.

Those of you that have never heard of them, take a listen to New Orleans is Sinking. If you have ever heard anything by The Tragically Hip in the United States, this is probably the song you would have heard.

Love The Hip, one of my top ten bands for sure. Had a Canadian roommate in college that introduced me to them in the early 90s.

Their albums Up To Here, Road Apples, and Fully Completely are all still in my regular rotation.

Those of you that have never heard of them, take a listen to New Orleans is Sinking. If you have ever heard anything by The Tragically Hip in the United States, this is probably the song you would have heard.
Ain't got no picture postcards

Ain't got no souvenirs...

My baby she don't know me  when I'm thinking 'bout those years

Such great lyrics from them that seem to be missing in todays musicians

Great thread! I've been a fan since about 2002. I was living in PA and a buddy asked me to ride shotgun to go see the Hip in DC at the 930 Club.  There were probably only 200-300 people there, and most of them were Canadians.  I liked the music a lot, so we got in the habit of driving to see them in Philly or Pittsburgh or wherever anytime they did a US swing. 

It was awesome getting to see them so close. If you got there early, you could squeeze in right up front.  Damn near close enough to reach out and touch Bobby.  I had always heard that seeing them in Canada was a totally different experience.  Finally got a chance to do that last winter in Montreal with 20,000 other people at the Bell Center – as rabid a crowd as I've ever seen at a concert. 

Until a few weeks ago.  I live in Tennessee now, but when news of the cancer came out, I got ahold of my old friend and we were able to come up with two tickets to Ottawa.  I met him there, had an unbelievable night at the show, and then watched the final concert on CBC two nights later.  It's really been an amazing ride.

I think I will go pop in "That Night in Toronto" now.  Time for a fix. 

Alright next we're going back to nearly the beginning, with their first album to go platinum in Canada, one which is now 9X platinum, plus whatever bumps it's received in the recent months, I'm talking about Up to Here.

Up to Here was released in 1989, following their less acclaimed (and honestly less good) self titled EP. 

The First single from Up to Here is one of The Hip's most loved rock songs and their first #1 Canadian hit. Instantly recognizable from it's intro, "The shot a movie once... in my hometown," "Blow at High Dough" is the harder rock that first catapulted them onto the Canadian scene. 

Their second single from Up to Here is even more a signature song of theirs. It was named the 16th best Canadian song of all time by CBC Radio and the 24th best rock song of all time by Toronto Alternative station the Edge. The song of course is "New Orleans is Sinking". It's a bluesy-rock song, probably my mom's favourite hip song as a result and you can argue Rob Baker is really the star of it with his signature guitar weaving all over it.

For the several in here who have seen them live, maybe you've had the good fortune as I have, to hear the live "New Orleans is Sinking/Nautical Disaster" version. This is an absolute highlight of their shows. This version I've linked is from 1993 - a year before Nautical Disaster was recorded on an album and one of the first times it would have been played live, you can tell the crowd is losing their minds for NOIS but isn't sure what to make of ND. It's not the best sound quality but I think it's a lot of fun to see the Hip in 1993 grunge type clothing and hair styles but already playing to a huge crowd.

I'll post a couple more songs from Up to Here this afternoon.

For the several in here who have seen them live, maybe you've had the good fortune as I have, to hear the live "New Orleans is Sinking/Nautical Disaster" version. This is an absolute highlight of their shows. This version I've linked is from 1993 - a year before Nautical Disaster was recorded on an album and one of the first times it would have been played live, you can tell the crowd is losing their minds for NOIS but isn't sure what to make of ND. It's not the best sound quality but I think it's a lot of fun to see the Hip in 1993 grunge type clothing and hair styles but already playing to a huge crowd.
The Ontario Place Forum where this video is filmed seems like it would have been an incredible place to see a concert, it's since been taken down and BMO Field sits on the property now.

Not gonna lie... Had a tear in my eye watching that final show... They are a soundtrack to Canadian life. every time, every where. 

Can't listen to "Bobcaygeon" anymore without shedding a tear... Total reminder of our cottaging as a kid. 

As for CDN bands that didn't make it in the US... I Mother Earth. An absolute TRAVESTY, that they didn't explode. Give their "Scenery and Fish" album a rip... LOUD. It's so vicious and catchy.  This is gonna sound ludicrous, but picture a "poppier" Tool.. the only real way I can describe them... but doesnt truly describe them,

youtube link for the entire album, song by song

:headbang: one more astronaut

Users who are viewing this thread