What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buying home near train tracks? (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
We are considering making an offer on a home in the Royalwood community of Winnipeg. The only thing is it's about 100 yards from a train track. You can't really see it form the house we are looking at, but you could likely hear it. The people across the cove would have the train track basically in their backyard. I did some research and CP rail said the train comes 4-6 times per day, and the whistle does not blow, as the city requested it to be silenced. We spoke to 2 neighbors on the street and they say its a non issue to them; one whose backyard faces the tracks, and one neighbour who would be in the same situation as us, right beside the home we are looking at. The city has the home assessed at $457, and the listed price is $460. Has a massive backyard which we love and is on a nice quiet street. Love, love the house too.

Only other issue is that my GF and I both take the bust to work, and the closest bust stop is approximately a 12-15 minute walk away. For us, 10 minutes was sort of our limit, but 12 minutes is right on the edge of that.

Your thoughts? Concern isn't so much with us,. and I think we could deal with the train. Main concern is the resale impacts.

Here's a video. It's a 5 minute video. I'd appreciate you watching at least the first 3-4 minutes to get a sense of the whistle in the distance and then the actual train passing. The video is taken form the driveway of the home we are considering:  https://youtu.be/rTNbIFaIl3M 

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived near a railway and, after about a month, the sound of a train (even in the middle of the night) was like rain on the roof for me. If they're not blowing a whistle at 2 a.m., it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I've also lived near major highways and airports, and both of them are a bazillion times worse than a RR.

Sounds to me like you found a nice home.

The train runs right next to my kid's college.  Every time I'm there and that train runs through, the sound of metal screeching makes me want to punch puppies.

I could not advise more strenuously against. 

What side are you on?
The video is taken form the driveway of the home we are considering.  SO the homes across the street have the train tracks visible fro their backyard.  Can't see much of the train from the house we are looking at.  The nearest whistle is about a mile away.  Train comes 3-4 times a day. 

As long as the whistle doesn't blow I don't think it would be a big deal unless one of you are unusually light sleepers. I'd probably like it. I love the sound of a train in the distance.

Stayed at a B&B in Harper's Ferry, WV once that was no more than 100 yards from the main east-west CSX track for NY/Philly/Balto/DC. Everything comes down to Baltimore and then west from there. My guess is at least six whistles through the night on top of feeling the ground rumble. Not a lot of people live down at the tip of Harper's Ferry where the station, bridge, and tunnel are, but for those who do I have no idea how they get any sleep. There is no freaking way to sleep through that without Michael Jackson's doctor on the job.

The video is taken form the driveway of the home we are considering.  SO the homes across the street have the train tracks visible fro their backyard.  Can't see much of the train from the house we are looking at.  The nearest whistle is about a mile away.  Train comes 3-4 times a day. 
So is that the right side or the wrong side?

So the whistle in the video is the noise you'd have to get use to?   You'd certainly get use to it but why would you want to?  I wouldn't do it. Plus you've answered your own question about resale just by asking it.  Of course it would affect resale as you haven't even bought it and it is affecting your decision now as it will affect whomever looks at it when you go to sell.  

Personally wound't do it unless you are getting a super deal something like 15-20% off similar style houses.

If you don't mind then go for it.

I would just be prepared for resale to be a potentially a little harder/slower because it will be a nonstarter for a portion of people looking to buy.

So the whistle in the video is the noise you'd have to get use to?   You'd certainly get use to it but why would you want to?  I wouldn't do it. Plus you've answered your own question about resale just by asking it.  Of course it would affect resale as you haven't even bought it and it is affecting your decision now as it will affect whomever looks at it when you go to sell.  
Yes that's the whistle noise in the video. Coming from about a mile away. 

Reason is we love everything else about the house. Huge backyard, quiet neighbourhood, great upscale desirable area, and style of home we can both agree on. 

Our house is probably similar distance from train. We had similar concerns, in the end they are a non issue. If anything I find the train noises strangely comforting, like the noise of a grandfather clock chiming. 

Our town has no whistles, and it's as commuter line so doesn't run all that often. Last train is somewhere around 11pm I think, I never notice it. 

Dont worry about resale issues either. If it's a nice neighborhood you'll be fine. 

Here's how close I am for comparison 

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vmzi2c.jpg

Listen to the advice of those who actually lived near a train. The 'detractors' above either haven't experienced it or lived near a high volume train. 

A low volume / non-whistle train is not an issue 

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vmzi2c.jpg

my house for an example. My house listed on a Thurs, we put offer in on Tues, and had to go 10% above asking to get it due to multiple offers 

The city has the home assessed at $457, and the listed price is $460.
At those prices I'd pay a little more to be away from the tracks.  I'd even go up to $1000 for some peace and quiet.

$450K seems like a lot of money for a cul de sac of boring looking houses 6 inches from each other right next to train tracks. just sayin.

Wish I could ride a bust to work.

Some people it doesn't bother,  some it does.

If you ever have to sell, it will be harder to sell because many will not like the noise.  See this all the time on homes that back up to busy streets. 

Biggest issue is that even if you don't mind a lot of people will making selling it that much harder.

100 yards is ridiculously close, my in laws live in Flagstaff and can hear freight trains from over a mile away.

Only other issue is that my GF and I both take the bust to work, and the closest bust stop is approximately a 12-15 minute walk away. For us, 10 minutes was sort of our limit, but 12 minutes is right on the edge of that.
Buy a house next to the train tracks and still have to walk 12 minutes (in the freezing cold and snow no less) to catch the bus.  Makes sense.

I lived near a railway and, after about a month, the sound of a train (even in the middle of the night) was like rain on the roof for me. If they're not blowing a whistle at 2 a.m., it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I've also lived near major highways and airports, and both of them are a bazillion times worse than a RR.

Sounds to me like you found a nice home.
We live less than 4 miles from a moderate sized airport and have lived roughly 200 yards from a train track which is similar to the OP's.  Neither are problems for us but I'll agree that reselling might be more difficult because some will eliminate your house without giving it a chance.  That didn't and wouldn't stop me from buying, but just be sure it's the best house for you and you're not just settling for what is available right now. 

Buy a house next to the train tracks and still have to walk 12 minutes (in the freezing cold and snow no less) to catch the bus.  Makes sense.
:shrug: he could leave Winnipeg but he didn't ask about that option. 

Biggest issue is that even if you don't mind a lot of people will making selling it that much harder.

100 yards is ridiculously close, my in laws live in Flagstaff and can hear freight trains from over a mile away.
Living on a double yellow will make selling the house harder. 

Having a pool in backyard will be deal breaker for a lot of home buyers 

not having an en suite bathroom or walk in closet will eliminate a lot of buyers 

my guess is the neighborhood is filled with people instead of all empty houses. Somehow those sellers found buyers. My guess is that the laws of supply and demand hold for this house just as for others, that the house is priced in line with the market (which has already accounted for double yellow roads, trains, and number of bathrooms) and that just as the OP is considering the house, others are as well. 

My brother had a house with train tracks behind his back yard.  Was VERY annoying when having an outisde party / BBQ.  But then again, this was directly  behind his back yard and it was in America.  The trains are traveling MPH instead of KPH and are probably more badass...

Two years ago we bought our house, which is three houses down from the Long Island Railroad (commuter rail) tracks. I had some concerns but we otherwise liked the house and went for it, after doing basically what you did but not recording it. (Just parked in front of the house and listened for a while when the train was coming through). Hasn't been an issue. And only rarely do we even notice it. 

Users who are viewing this thread