What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MIA-Adam Gase New Sheriff in town (1 Viewer)

1. GM Mike Tannenbaum was not the ultimate person who hired Gase, it was the owner Stephen Ross, that was a fact that emerged but seemed to not get reported much. I think that matters and gives you an idea of how this is going to work. He has a rather large leash and if it looks like he and the GM cannot work together then I believe Mike will be shown the door. 

Tannenbaum wanted to hire Doug Marrone because if you look, Miami passed on Rex Ryan who had success in the division, actually had Todd Bowles in house but let him go to another division rival, you could see what Tannenbaum was after, a HC who understood what it took to try and win the AFC East, I don't fault him and thought he might be a decent choice but after watching Gase in the off season and preseason, I'm impressed. 

2. Gase has had terrific interactions with the local press. I have personally learned a lot about the newer NFL offenses by listening to Adam Gase and learning more terminology and what he plans to do on offense, it's be a real education if you follow his daily or weekly notes. He doesn't talk in riddles and quite frankly he is young so he hasn't learned to keep his mouth shut the way Belichick does in New England, I hope he doesn't because I feel the most informed as a fan since Shula. 

The Jeff Ireland/Joe Philbin crew wouldn't tell you today is Sunday let alone answer any meaningful questions about practice, player status, but not Gase, he engages the media and fans. MOP likes that   :D

3. It's his way or the highway, ask Jay Ajayi and DeVante Parker today. Perhaps Parker is slowed by injury but Gase and company have been working on him becoming a professional which he is not right now. Dan Campbell said the same of Parker last season and refused to play him until it was almost forced on him. Gase must have read the case file because he also has had so so interactions with him and the Dolphins moved up to grab Caroo who needs a lot fo work but is a Gase project and you can bet by year 2 there is going to be a role for him in this offense, just not sure quite who or where yet but it's going to shake out. I doubt Parker gets a 2nd contract here and I doubt Mike Tannenbaum is going to make it more than another season or two here. 

There is a new sheriff in town and so far I think most fans like what they see and hear. 

My impressions as s Bronco fan: Gase is a Mike Martz protege - a technocrat passing guru who has troubles integrating the running game into a highly sophisticated passing attack.  He is a scheme guy (as opposed to a player guy - he wants players to fit to his scheme, not adapt the scheme to players).

The stubborn, "my way or the high way guys" works so great in the NFL when you pay players and need to recruit star players to come sign with you. It has a great history of working out well. Right, Joe Philbin?

The stubborn, "my way or the high way guys" works so great in the NFL when you pay players and need to recruit star players to come sign with you. It has a great history of working out well. Right, Joe Philbin?
Players didn't respect Philbin, they seem to respect Gase so far. I know they respect him on offense, my impression is the Miami DC, Vance Joseph has the command of the defense so far. 

I think there is a culture change going on right now. We'll see if any of it pans out. 

Belichick seems to do pretty well with it. 

I'm optimistic that Gaze can run a great offense but there's a lot that goes into management of all the groups and I don't know that he's ever been a HC anywhere. 

Will Gaze be his own OC and call the plays?

He needs to turn over the roster. Get a QB he wants his fate to be decided with. Tannehill is not here next season. No way. 

IMO this is either a badly coached team,  or a team with uncoachable players. 

Either way they were an undisciplined  :tfp:  out there tonight.

This game wasn't even competitive as a result. Time after time they self sabotaged - roughing the kicker, illegal hands to the face, several encroachments because the D couldn't resist the bait....

i can't help but feel like this team has more talent than they've shown, which to me speaks to coaching. But I concede they have a few players who may not be holding up their end of the bargain. Could be both. 

Cap tip to Cinci D as well. 

From the looks of facial expressions on the sidelines, it looks like Gase knows he has to start cutting players to make room for his choices.

I'm pretty sure Gase is the right guy for this franchise.

Clean house! ... feels good.

From the looks of facial expressions on the sidelines, it looks like Gase knows he has to start cutting players to make room for his choices.

I'm pretty sure Gase is the right guy for this franchise.

Clean house! ... feels good.
That may well be it. Something looks seriously broken. 

Tannenbaum wanted to hire Doug Marrone because if you look, Miami passed on Rex Ryan who had success in the division, actually had Todd Bowles in house but let him go to another division rival, you could see what Tannenbaum was after, a HC who understood what it took to try and win the AFC East, I don't fault him and thought he might be a decent choice but after watching Gase in the off season and preseason, I'm impressed. 
I forgot Bowles was the Dolphins interim coach to finish 2011 but he left there and went to Philly for a year before serving as DC in ARI for 2 years.

So that's not really true.

I thought he was a good offensive coach because Jay Cutler did seem to play significantly better last season with Gase.

I also like listening to Gase's press conferences. He seems like a good teacher.

The decision making and results on the field are not matching up to these otherwise optimistic points of view in Miami however.

I do think the losing culture in Miami is something that was not going to be turned around over night. Some of the benching moves and whatnot seem to be trying to fix that problem, but it is likely that several of the players just need to go. Get rid of the bad apples so they don't spoil the rest.

May be a case of where the coach is a better offensive coordinator than a HC. At the same time I think the offense is a bigger problem than the defense, so I am not sure he is a good OC anymore.

Maybe Cutler just played better than usual last season and Gase got too much credit for it.

:shrug:

I forgot Bowles was the Dolphins interim coach to finish 2011 but he left there and went to Philly for a year before serving as DC in ARI for 2 years.

So that's not really true.
He was the interim coach when Sporano got fired...they could have HIRED him and didn't...they let him walk to another team, point was we had him here. I bet Dan Campbell will be a HC sooner or later, we could have hired him and passed after he did alright and even beat the Patriots but wth does that matter on a resume for Miami, right?

Gase talked a lot in the summer...we will give it time but so far I don't think he knows a lick about how to put a defense together. maybe he shouldn't have to but then maybe he should just be an OC and call it a day. I don't see head coach yet. He is starting to remind me of the guy in Oakland a couple years back didn't make it long. One of Al Davis last ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dolphins paid a bunch of guys a whole lot of money who are players that have a lot of talent but don't play hard all the time. Those guys were being counted on quite a bit for the defense. But Suh, Mario Williams and Maxwell just aren't consistent enough to make a defense better.

And on the offense, Tannehill isn't good, their RBs are a mess and the WRs are mediocre to terrible.

The crazy thing was this game was within reach for almost all of it. The roughing the punter might have been the end but until then the defense did a good enough job to keep it relatively close.

The problem to me was Tannehill. He's a converted WR but he looked so immobile all game. It's weird to see a QB who's capable of running and throwing on the move just sit there and take sacks all game. Also that int was horrible

The Dolphins paid a bunch of guys a whole lot of money who are players that have a lot of talent but don't play hard all the time. Those guys were being counted on quite a bit for the defense. But Suh, Mario Williams and Maxwell just aren't consistent enough to make a defense better.

And on the offense, Tannehill isn't good, their RBs are a mess  and the WRs are mediocre to terrible.
I don't think the current WRs are quite as bad as you are making them out to be.   They are young and have also suffered from some inconsistent QB play, but I think that is one position group that has some upside to be built upon.  They could use some more depth, and development and polishing from Parker as a big play threat.  

He was the interim coach when Sporano got fired...they could have HIRED him and didn't...they let him walk to another team, point was we had him here. I bet Dan Campbell will be a HC sooner or later, we could have hired him and passed after he did alright and even beat the Patriots but wth does that matter on a resume for Miami, right?

Gase talked a lot in the summer...we will give it time but so far I don't think he knows a lick about how to put a defense together. maybe he shouldn't have to but then maybe he should just be an OC and call it a day. I don't see head coach yet. He is starting to remind me of the guy in Oakland a couple years back didn't make it long. One of Al Davis last ones...
 I like Gase well enough, that being said Campbell was trying to restore discipline previously. I think he was learning how to game manage but he was flexible at trying what he could get to work given his circumstances. What Gase is trying to do now, with the benchings and calling for execution over talent, seems like a reoccurring theme for the Dolphins. Why didn't they replace the players who had these issues from last year is beyond me.

Gotcha.

Are you talking about Dennis Allen?

And on the offense, Tannehill isn't good, their RBs are a mess and the WRs are mediocre to terrible.
I agree with all you said except the last part. I think they have a lot of talent at WR (and I'm not as in love with Parker as most are).

Gase continues to play inferior RB's due to what can only be some kind of personal vendetta against Ajayi.

Great coaching job, Jack!

Jarvis Landry is not mediocre. And if he had a Brady or Rodgers throwing to him......just think about that. Look at the numbers he puts up with this average QB. That guy is a baller. Not the fastest, biggest or strongest. But boy he runs crisp routes, has great hands, is not afraid to go across the middle. A Pro's pro with his preparation and work ethic.

He is the best player head and shoulders on this team. I will take Jarvis Landry every day to be part of my team. He is a premier #2 WR. I don't disagree he is not an ideal #1....but he is the best this team has. Devante Parker has the God given physical gifts, but a half assed work ethic and heart that is questionable. 

His play, on extremely limited snaps, suggests otherwise.
Bro...I know you own him on your FF club.....let it go.

He is not that good. If he were he would be the bell cow on this team. Yeah he looked good on some limited snaps last night......but he is JAG. Nothing special, nothing to gush over and not a difference maker at all. They tried to sign CJ Anderson and then brought in Arian Foster. 

That should tell you a lot. He will continue to get limited snaps....so let it go. He is not going to be fantasy relevant

Ever.

Letting go of Lamar Miller was hilarious and another blunder in a long line of them over the last 17 years.

Actually, I no longer own him in fantasy football.  3 weeks of watching inferior backs run the ball was enough for me.  If I had not traded him recently, I'd be furious at the idiotic Dolphin coaches.

Ajayi is probably not great, but he is far and away the best RB on the Miami Dolphins.  ...and yes, that does include Mr. Glass.

When you watch him, try to not see the reason Miller was let go, and just watch him.

He is the only RB on the team that has consistently gained yards and made first downs.

It is a Barnum and Bailey circus show that he is still splitting carries.  ...but I guess that's what the Dolphins are known for.

Foster > Ajayi and I'm talking about the 2016 version of Foster. 
I respect your right to be wrong, but even if what you say was true, there is no excuse for those other scrubs to be taking carries away from Ajayi.

Watch the games.  Ajayi is effective.  The other backs are not.

This ain't rocket philosophy

The other coaches in the league have to be laughing when they watch film of Gase's stubborn use of a rotation.

My impressions as s Bronco fan: Gase is a Mike Martz protege - a technocrat passing guru who has troubles integrating the running game into a highly sophisticated passing attack.  He is a scheme guy (as opposed to a player guy - he wants players to fit to his scheme, not adapt the scheme to players).
I wish I could like this four more times.   Spot on.  

Mop illustrates the person but you nailed the coach.  He's one of those guys everyone loves at the party but nobody trusts to be a designated driver.  He's the "fun Bobby" of the group and I'm about done with the dolphins.   There is no way I would set my alarm to wake up for an early London game at this point.

Actually, I no longer own him in fantasy football.  3 weeks of watching inferior backs run the ball was enough for me.  If I had not traded him recently, I'd be furious at the idiotic Dolphin coaches.

Ajayi is probably not great, but he is far and away the best RB on the Miami Dolphins.  ...and yes, that does include Mr. Glass.

When you watch him, try to not see the reason Miller was let go, and just watch him.

He is the only RB on the team that has consistently gained yards and made first downs.

It is a Barnum and Bailey circus show that he is still splitting carries.  ...but I guess that's what the Dolphins are known for.
If a play is well designed/blocked he has the capability of gashing out 10 yards as you saw on a few runs.  Most of the time he is slamming into the pile trying to bulldoze display no vision or nuance to his game.  It also looks as if he is holding the football like he desperately doesn't want to fumble, good, but that probably limits his running ability.  I swear I can hear him saying to himself "I'm going to run as hard and fast as I can in one direction without fumbling", he does nothing in space.

He is probably the best road grater on the team, problem is their OLine sucks and they are going to be playing from behind. 

The best RBs find holes that weren't there - Ajayi finds contact that wasn't there.

Gase seems to be giving the backs turns, which is even worse than backs-for-plays. If he can even find gameflow, that's gonna defeat it.

90% of pro football coaches (or any level really) are fit-player-to-scheme guys

i'm not a Bill fan but Belichick is one of the few who can adapt schemes to personnel, you have to be very smart to do this i guess

seems obvious in other sports but football coaches tend to stick to what they know

spider321 said:

Foster looks like such a better, more talented football player than Ajayi that it's almost not even quantifiable. Of course Foster got hurt as always but he's on such another level, compared to Ajayi. I've been saying for a while that he didn't fall in the draft just due to some super secret chronic knee--teams didn't think he was very good.

Foster looks like such a better, more talented football player than Ajayi that it's almost not even quantifiable. Of course Foster got hurt as always but he's on such another level, compared to Ajayi. I've been saying for a while that he didn't fall in the draft just due to some super secret chronic knee--teams didn't think he was very good.
:lmao:

Amazing reality cannot dilute some preconceived notions.

You can't admit that Foster looked way better in his limited action? He has a feel for the game that Ajayi will never have 

Ministry of Pain said:

Are you saying he'll hit someone?

spider321 said:

I have been watching him. He looks ok. Again JAG. No one down here is pounding the sand that Jay Ajayi needs to be fed so we can win games. It does not matter. We are an awful football team. 

You can't admit that Foster looked way better in his limited action? He has a feel for the game that Ajayi will never have 
Foster has looked like a below average RB at best.  He had one nice play vs Seattle, and he even made a solid move on Earl Thomas, but that was a complete busted coverage where there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him for the first 20+ yards of the play.  So if you expect that situation to be the norm then absolutely you should roll with Foster.  However if you expect defenses to keep the lanes crowded more often than not you should not hold out hope for Foster because he looks old and slow to react (mind is willing but body is not able).

Quite frankly the only RB that can be game changing on this roster this season....potentially is Drake. He has explosiveness, hands and big play ability.

Foster is at the end of his shelf life. We all knew this. We all hoped he could stay healthy and give us one good season as a stop gap till we draft/sign our next #1 RB. Well.....he is down again with that same groin from last season and the outlook is not great.

Ajayi runs straight, no agility, no lateral movement, questionable hands, and a malcontent as well. He looks like he just goes in one direction head down and is hanging on to the ball for dear life. It is easy to see why he get's limited action. Nothing special at all.

Pead is pure below average and I feel will be phased out fast and Drake will get more and more chances.

Williams IMO plays hard and makes the most of his carries and chances. Average talent but 150% effort from that kid. Our best 3rd down back and pass protector.

Quite frankly the only RB that can be game changing on this roster this season....potentially is Drake. He has explosiveness, hands and big play ability.

Foster is at the end of his shelf life. We all knew this. We all hoped he could stay healthy and give us one good season as a stop gap till we draft/sign our next #1 RB. Well.....he is down again with that same groin from last season and the outlook is not great.

Ajayi runs straight, no agility, no lateral movement, questionable hands, and a malcontent as well. He looks like he just goes in one direction head down and is hanging on to the ball for dear life. It is easy to see why he get's limited action. Nothing special at all.

Pead is pure below average and I feel will be phased out fast and Drake will get more and more chances.

Williams IMO plays hard and makes the most of his carries and chances. Average talent but 150% effort from that kid. Our best 3d down back and pass protector.
The random insertion of the RBs Thursday without any sort of application of their specific skills was pretty odd and seemed to harm the team. 

Please start watching the games.

The random insertion of the RBs Thursday without any sort of application of their specific skills was pretty odd and seemed to harm the team. 
Agreed. Gase though is grasping at straws and apparently trying to figure out this roster. I thought it was odd. Hopefully he can settle into using a couple of backs here soon.

Please stop being such a troll. You might be one of the only dim wits who thinks Ajayi is the teams best RB.......he stinks. 
He's the only one that has done anything, all year.

...and you keep making baseless posts about how the others, who have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, are better than him?!?!

I know you own Drake, but he couldn't even start in college.  He's a nobody.

Let.  It.  Go.

Users who are viewing this thread