What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bragging, venting, crowing, grieving... (3 Viewers)

Survived the Gurley onslaught for the win.

Thanking Butker, Shady, and Bell.

I got lucky- his wrs (Cooks, Thielen, and Jeffrey) did nothing.

I have been much less "hardcore"  the last several years.  I've played some friend/family leagues, but between grad school and residency--it's just not been the same.

A buddy invited me to 2 leagues with some pretty serious dudes this season--my first year free of school in ages. 

I did a keeper and a cash league with those guys, and 1 ESPN public.

Made the playoffs in all 3.  

In the cash league, couldn't overcome the loss of Ezekiel Elliott.  Burnt out in the 1st round.

Dynasty league:  Came in as the 4 seed of a 6 team playoff.  Beat the 5 seed, the 1 seed, and then the 3 seed in the championship.  

ESPN public:  Weird playoffs--each round is 2 weeks, I'm up 12 going into week 17.  I always hate week 17 playoffs because who knows how the games will shake out/who will play.  

Down by 1.1 points with Alshon Jeffrey to go.

Stayed up all night playing santa and I fell asleep about the time the game started.

Wake up this morning, lost by 1.1 points.  :rant:

Forgot to sub out Collins for Lewis (cost me 24 points, didn't remember that Collins was playing on Saturday), but fortunately for me, Ben came through with the 6 points I needed to win the title....despite Prescott and the JAX D crapping the bed.  My opponent in the finals scored 102 less points than the previous week.....he had by far the highest score of the year in Week 15.

I know I posted before but I am going to give my tl:dr version

League #1 Dynasty - went 13-0!!! first time in history for my leagues. Made it to the finals but injuries and matchups caught up with me - second place again  as the #1 seed.  Also lossed the total points prize the last 2 weeks 

League #2 Redraft/Auction- An all-play league. Basically play everyone every week.  Had a monster week 14 to propel me into the finals week 16.  Put up my worst score of the year week 16.  Lost as the #1 seed

League #3 Redraft 1 keeper - lost week 1 - then rolled off 12 in a row. 12-1.  #1 seed.  Won the total points prize!!!  Lost in the semi-finals to the #6 seed who put up his high of the year up. Of course II would have destroyed anyone I played week 16 by 50.  At least the guy that beat me won the whole thing.

STUPID FANTASY FOOTBALL

:ptts:

This was probably the best I've done collectively on all 3 long time leagues in one season AND no championship.  I still haven't won in League #1 Dynasty :kicksrock:   I have multiple seconds, championships/points prizes etc but as a whole this was my "best" season on a whole.   Usually I do real well in 2 and one of them just craps all over itself.  In the end I made some $$ but thats not as much fun as winning more cash :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Down by 1.1 points with Alshon Jeffrey to go.

Stayed up all night playing santa and I fell asleep about the time the game started.

Wake up this morning, lost by 1.1 points.  :rant:
Right there with you. Went to bed tied, Jeffrey against Elliot.

Thanks, Alshon. At least I didn't have the stress of watching the game.

a poor 1-4 in finals.

PHI special teams TD on the last play sunk me in one

Jax D over LAC D cost me in another (or I could blame Wilson, Freeman and Cooks)

Won my first championship in a couple years. Took a heroic effort from Gurley to barely win in my idp league. Got hosed in my other leagues with terrible luck. Oh well. Woo hoo

Losing by 5.4, I'm just thinking about all the ways I could have won: Julio's catch with two feet in the end zone is called a TD, the illegal pick is called on Gurley's first TD, Butker makes the 48-yard FG attempt with 2 minutes left, Bell gets the TD on 1st-and-goal from the 1 rather than the FB.
Gurley's fumble out the goal line during middle of the season cost me a game and a playoff spot. Would've ran the table in the playoffs in my big league. Such random nonsense. Might as well have went 0-13. All the same 

the playoffs are a crapshoot.

crapped the bed in my two redraft leagues.

Finished as the #1 seed in both dynasty leagues.

Got beat in the semi finals by the #6 seed based on a divisional format that he shouldn't have made the playoffs.  outscored all four semi finalists in week 16 so won 3rd place and paid for my fees.

Won my main 2QB dynasty league for the 2nd year in a row despite being about a 10-15 pt underdog...thanks to TGIII, the man!  his tweet to FF players afterward was funny.

Managed to make it into the playoffs thanks to some solid WW picks, who underperformed when I needed them most. Lost by three in the championship. Don't think I'll ever get past it or will ever win again until I figure out the best system for minimizing dumb luck... because I don't seem to have any.
Sure you do... it's just not GOOD luck.

I was in a 10-team league, 3 weeks of playoffs (14, 15, and 16).  Of ALL the hypothetical matchups in those 3 weeks (9 possible "games" per week, total of 27 games), my record was 26-1 (96.3% win rate).  Which of those games did I ACTUALLY have on my schedule?  You guessed it--the one that I lost.  In the first week of the playoffs.  No cash.

Oh, and the guy I played in that game set the league high for points scored in a single game this season.  I've got luck.  It's just bad.

I made it to one title game but got Gurley’d.

in another league, both the title and 3rd place game were decided by less than 5 points. In the title game, the Bell owner lost by 3.5 and would have won if Bell had gotten that goal-line TD and not the FB. In the third-place game, one guy was down by 4.9 with the other guy done and him having Crabtree and Jeffrey on MNF. He lost by 4.9.

I sucked again.  Missed the playoffs,  3rd worst team in the league.  Everything I did was wrong.  I’m pulling a Constanta next year...I’m doing the opposite of everything I think.  

I sucked again.  Missed the playoffs,  3rd worst team in the league.  Everything I did was wrong.  I’m pulling a Constanta next year...I’m doing the opposite of everything I think.  
90% luck now. Everyone has easy access to the same information. Just when I think I got a steal and a player starts strong, I lose 5 guys to IR. Lost half my players this year, including DJ. And Gurley and Wentz to carried me just close enough to barely miss the playoffs per usual. I'd rather just finish in last than get screwed.

flapgreen said:
90% luck now. Everyone has easy access to the same information. Just when I think I got a steal and a player starts strong, I lose 5 guys to IR. Lost half my players this year, including DJ. And Gurley and Wentz to carried me just close enough to barely miss the playoffs per usual. I'd rather just finish in last than get screwed.
i think it's still closer to 50% skill 50% luck... in one long time league i looked at the last 10 years, with making the playoffs (6 of 12 make it) as a benchmark... the perceived "bad" owners were generally around 40% making the playoffs... the "good" owners were around 60%... so that skill gap only accounts for 20% IMO

flapgreen said:
Not every owner knows how to act on that information.  Some information is garbage, some is invaluable.  Being able to sift through the information for good actionable information separates really good owners from average owners. 

As others have said, there is a reason why the same owners consistently make the playoffs.  That's skill.  Once you're in the playoffs.....sure, it's 90-100% luck.

i think it's still closer to 50% skill 50% luck... in one long time league i looked at the last 10 years, with making the playoffs (6 of 12 make it) as a benchmark... the perceived "bad" owners were generally around 40% making the playoffs... the "good" owners were around 60%... so that skill gap only accounts for 20% IMO
I get what you are saying - in our 25 year running, 12 team redraft - I can tell you before draft day 5 of the 8 teams that will make the playoffs.  The last 3 playoff spots are usually split between 5 of the other 7 owners.  We have two owners who just can't seem to make the playoffs ever.  So there is SOME skill component.  But I tend to agree to win the league, it is about 90% luck whether it be injuries, weather, matchups, etc.  Now if you asked if winning the regular season was 90% luck I'd say it would be a little less, but still a pretty high percentage because playoffs are one and done if you hit bad luck - regular season you have 13 games to spread out the bad luck.  Hell, about 5 years ago I drafted a killer team - only to lose my #1 QB, #1 WR, #1 LB, #1 DB and #2 RB in the first 4 weeks.  That turned into a 4-9 season...all bad luck.

You have 8 teams make the playoffs?
Kind of a weird league - but it's in it's 25th year.  12 teams, 3 divisions, 8 teams make the playoffs, 2 teams play in the Toilet Bowl - leaving two teams who end their season after Week 13.  Went to 8 teams (from 4) probably 15 years ago because of so many complaints that it was always the same 4 teams making the playoffs.  Well we went to 8, but those same 4 usually still make the playoffs and of those 4 teams (4,3,3,2 championships)...so almost half of the 25 championships have been from 4 teams, but in fairness since we expanded to 8 playoff teams only twice has the #1 seed won the title.  I think this league desperately seeks parity - but it is a good group of people that I have known since high school so it has that going for it.

So the Commish is using this idea for this year and will institute a league voted upon playoff tiebreaker beginning next year.  I have to beat one of the two teams I am facing to win the Championship and even if I lose to both I get 2nd place money.  Good thing - my matchups are BRUTAL this week.  Commish team projected at 95, my team 86, the other team 84.  Would not be surprised at all if I lose to both.  Still a good season at 11-2 regular season and at worst 2-1 in the playoffs.
Great to hear you guys used my idea, and glad you won it all. Everyone stays in the league, you won anyway and I'm sure it'll be fixed for next year. Happy New Year.

I managed to win my title this year after lots of crazy good luck and crazy bad luck.  I only have 3 players on my roster that I drafted (Julio Jones, Ezekiel Elliott and Deandre Hopkins).

Some of the good luck
Had the fewest points scored against me this year
Was 3-2 in division while another team was 5-0, but I still won the division and got a first round bye
The best team in the league (12-1 regular season, outscored second highest team by 172 points) got knocked out in the second round by 0.2 points

Finally got that One For The Thumb!

I managed to win my title this year after lots of crazy good luck and crazy bad luck.  I only have 3 players on my roster that I drafted (Julio Jones, Ezekiel Elliott and Deandre Hopkins).

Some of the good luck
Had the fewest points scored against me this year
Was 3-2 in division while another team was 5-0, but I still won the division and got a first round bye
The best team in the league (12-1 regular season, outscored second highest team by 172 points) got knocked out in the second round by 0.2 points

Finally got that One For The Thumb!

So in other words, you're the guy in your league who everybody hates. :D

Curious if any leagues reserve some prize money for All-Play (or Roto-) Win Percentage, even if you still award the lion's share of the prize pool to the head-to-head winner?  Our league is considering this--so for example, the owner who went 12-1 (and probably had the best All-Play record in the league) would get his/her league entry fee back, or some such.

So in other words, you're the guy in your league who everybody hates. :D

Curious if any leagues reserve some prize money for All-Play (or Roto-) Win Percentage, even if you still award the lion's share of the prize pool to the head-to-head winner?  Our league is considering this--so for example, the owner who went 12-1 (and probably had the best All-Play record in the league) would get his/her league entry fee back, or some such.
We don't do anything like that, but he got money for third and also 8 weeks of high score, so his total haul was $145 while I got $250 for winning the league.  Prior to this year nobody had got high score more than 5 times.  We also do high score for all 16 weeks, so everybody is eligible, including the non-playoff teams.  $50 entry fee (12 teams), $250 to first, $125 to second, $65 to third, and $160 total for the 16 high score weeks.

Mostly I am hated because I have won the title five out of nine times, including three of the first four years (and the best team I ever had was my second year, when I didn't win the title, or any money because we didn't have a prize for third or for weekly high score.  I think I had nine of my guys taken in the first or second round the following year.  I remember sitting in the draft the following year saying "How the heck did I not win it last year?").

Another year I didn't win I had the highest scoring overall team in the league, the second highest scoring team was whoever I played against that week (i.e. my Points Against was higher than anybody else's Points For) and finished 7-6 and only got in on a tie breaker.  We also had another year where the lowest scoring team in the league won his division.

So there is certainly some skill involved, but luck is also a big part of it.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.... wait, they're guilty!

FRANCHISE LAST VISITED THIS PAGE

a. less than a minute ago 

b. 3 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes ago 

c. 3 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes ago 

c. 10 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes ago 

d. 11 days, 37 minutes ago 

e. 17 days, 5 minutes ago 

f. 64 days, 20 hours, 33 minutes ago 

g. 65 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes ago 

h. 100 days, 18 hours, 43 minutes ago

i. 105 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes ago

j. 141 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes ago 

k. 141 days, 19 hours, 22 minutes ago

some dynasty.... may as well be redraft. :(

Do any of you all know if any redraft sites allow you to rock a 7 team playoff format? My redraft league is stuck doing 8/12 because we can't do 7 on Yahoo, and we have voted against 6 playoff teams in the past.

the lone star said:
Do any of you all know if any redraft sites allow you to rock a 7 team playoff format? My redraft league is stuck doing 8/12 because we can't do 7 on Yahoo, and we have voted against 6 playoff teams in the past.
I would guess MFL, it seems to be the most customizable, but isn’t free. 

Bragging/crowing: 

feeling prety good about my 1st draft of the season.  Because of the passing yardage b run on QBs in the early rounds led to weird runs. 

12-team PPR, Gurley 1.01 stole Thielen at 4.12 which never happened in any of my mocks. Royce Freeman slipped to 4.12/5.01, which didn’t happen in my mocks Also Burton slid to the 8.12 pick which never happened once in any of my mocks.

Venting:

naturally the 1 time I’ve got the 1.01 in 14 years the 1.02 team happens to be the guy who’s won the league 6x, and beaten me in 2 of those championships. And he never misses a value. For example, 2.12, D.Adams, 4.11 A. Collins. Later in the draft he snaked Aaron Jones, Rivers and AP.  I cannot express how infuriating it gets to have someone take players you’ve watched for 22 picks go 1 before you every damn time. By the Rivers pick I was   :hot:   :rant:   :censored:   :wall:

Still, Royce wasn’t a bad consolation prize, and allowed me to also snag Thielen there; I went Evans/Tyreek the Freak 2-3, and while I missed Rivers I’d planned to go QBBC anyway, so I’ll have to get by with a Ryan/Taylor/Marriotta mix. I think Ryan bounces back this year, so I should be ok. 

All told it was nice to pop the cherry - tomorrow is my 27 round IDP draft hosted at my house & we have a keg this year, so if nothing else this was great practice. 

Exhales

Venting:

naturally the 1 time I’ve got the 1.01 in 14 years the 1.02 team happens to be the guy who’s won the league 6x, and beaten me in 2 of those championships. And he never misses a value. For example, 2.12, D.Adams, 4.11 A. Collins. Later in the draft he snaked Aaron Jones, Rivers and AP.  I cannot express how infuriating it gets to have someone take players you’ve watched for 22 picks go 1 before you every damn time. By the Rivers pick I was   :hot:   :rant:   :censored:   :wall:

Still, Royce wasn’t a bad consolation prize, and allowed me to also snag Thielen there; I went Evans/Tyreek the Freak 2-3, and while I missed Rivers I’d planned to go QBBC anyway, so I’ll have to get by with a Ryan/Taylor/Marriotta mix. I think Ryan bounces back this year, so I should be ok. 

Exhales

Do not get upset when these things happen.  It literally happens to me most every year, in damn near every draft spot.

Letting things like this bother you, can affect the rest of your draft, and may cause some of those "weaker minded" individuals we draft with to alter their draft and make improper reaches for certain players.

I've heard guys say "Well, literally ALL the other guys I have wanted were taken just before me, so I am damn sure snagging this guy NOW (too early) to ensure I get him".  It causes certain guys to come off the board far to early. Most fantasy players have been through the same thing, as have I.

"Shutting down" my emotions is second nature to me, as I have played poker professionally for nearly 20 years, but I recognize most guys don't have the emotional control I do when things get stressful.  This has helped me immensely in drafts.  (I'm not saying this is a problem for YOU , but it often can creep in during drafts for your run-of-the-mill fantasy player.)

Be enthused about Royce Freeman.  He could well be a league winner this year.  I am trying to get him when appropriate in leagues, and cuffing him with DeVontae Booker nearly every time. (I have written before about my propensity to "lock up a backfield", as injury insurance) I don't view Freeman as the absolute king maker, but I see him as strong RB2 ish value, and its these types of players so many guys in leagues fall back on when their big time studs go down.

On the drafting note - I have my biggest draft of the year this Tuesday, and all the guys in my league have been texting me about it. The anticipation is kicking in.

Then I have 2-3 more later in the week.  I'm stoked, but NOT very happy with the 12th overall pick in my big league, out of 12 teams. (I was pulled 7th, and didn't like that slot so I went straight back to the back/12th.) I wanted a top 4 pick, but it just didn't work out this year.  :wall:

TZM

Do not get upset when these things happen.  It literally happens to me most every year, in damn near every draft spot.

Letting things like this bother you, can affect the rest of your draft, and may cause some of those "weaker minded" individuals we draft with to alter their draft and make improper reaches for certain players.

I've heard guys say "Well, literally ALL the other guys I have wanted were taken just before me, so I am damn sure snagging this guy NOW (too early) to ensure I get him".  It causes certain guys to come off the board far to early. Most fantasy players have been through the same thing, as have I.

"Shutting down" my emotions is second nature to me, as I have played poker professionally for nearly 20 years, but I recognize most guys don't have the emotional control I do when things get stressful.  This has helped me immensely in drafts.  (I'm not saying this is a problem for YOU , but it often can creep in during drafts for your run-of-the-mill fantasy player.)

Be enthused about Royce Freeman.  He could well be a league winner this year.  I am trying to get him when appropriate in leagues, and cuffing him with DeVontae Booker nearly every time. (I have written before about my propensity to "lock up a backfield", as injury insurance) I don't view Freeman as the absolute king maker, but I see him as strong RB2 ish value, and its these types of players so many guys in leagues fall back on when their big time studs go down.

On the drafting note - I have my biggest draft of the year this Tuesday, and all the guys in my league have been texting me about it. The anticipation is kicking in.

Then I have 2-3 more later in the week.  I'm stoked, but NOT very happy with the 12th overall pick in my big league, out of 12 teams. (I was pulled 7th, and didn't like that slot so I went straight back to the back/12th.) I wanted a top 4 pick, but it just didn't work out this year.  :wall:

TZM
I agree - it’s excellent advice. While a little flustered I tend to get angrier and more focused rather than less. I want revenge - I want them to pay for taking my player. So I check every list of every position just to make sure I’m getting the very highest ranked without reaching too much, though as you know at the bookends you have to teach as much as possible since there’s 22 picks between. That angry laser focus is why I took R.Freeman and later noticed Thielen - I was fully planning on taking RB/RB 4/5, but since I missed Collins, I checked WRs & noticed Thielen.

I feel like I still did very well and my weeks of mocking paid off bigtime. So huge to know who’s going where, and also be familiar enough with trying different strategies that you can change horses in the middle of the stream. My worst drafts I’ve been inflexible with my plans, and sometimes the chips don’t fall like you plan. You end up with round pegs & square holes. 

Final team is:

QB: Ryan (T.Taylor, Mariotta but I may trade for Winston)

RB: Gurley/R.Freeman/Ingram (fell to the 6-7 turn)/Barber/Burkhead/L.Murray/J.Kelly

WR: Evans/Hill/Thielen/Hogan/A.Jeffery

TE: Burton

We start 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 O-FLX, so I’m feeling pretty strong.  :hifive:

stole Thielen at 4.12 which never happened in any of my mocks
:shock: :shock:

How in the world of all that is holy about fantasy football did Thielen fall to 4.12 in a PPR?!?! I want to see the first four rounds, that must have been a majorly gigantic QB run, coupled with everyone in the league except you starting RB/RB/RB...

:shock: :shock:

How in the world of all that is holy about fantasy football did Thielen fall to 4.12 in a PPR?!?! I want to see the first four rounds, that must have been a majorly gigantic QB run, coupled with everyone in the league except you starting RB/RB/RB...
Lots of RBs, 6 QBs, and he slipped through the cracks. Usually that doesn’t happen in this league. 

We drafted online for the first time through CBS. We also had 1 new league member who’s never played before - that threw some wrenches into the world.

but the other 10 guys should be at least competent. Really most of the picks were prttty normal other than the QB run, and that it was RB-heavy.

I suspect some of the guys were using the CBS default rankings since we were online for the 1st time. Pays to not be lazy I guess. ;)  

Surprised I haven't seen any #####ing here about the game tonight.

Might as well start it off myself.

The amount of flags tonight was atrocious.  I only watched some of the game here and there, but I know there were at least 15 flags the first half.  Just like it is every year, its borderline unwatchable.  :wall:

Sunday RedZone can't get here fast enough.

TZM

Naturally Matt Ryan completely craps the bed. 

I was an inch away from picking up Dalton & dropping Ryan. I just couldn’t pull the trigger. 

& now I have 11 points from my QB to show for it. 

:doh:  

And the only guy I really want to drop for a QB is Ryan; which means I have to wait until waivers run on Tuesday to pick someone up since Ryan is locked. 

Gah 

i thought maybe...just maybe Ryan would get be through until Winston came back. 

Oops. 

TZMarkie said:
Surprised I haven't seen any #####ing here about the game tonight.

Might as well start it off myself.

The amount of flags tonight was atrocious.  I only watched some of the game here and there, but I know there were at least 15 flags the first half.  Just like it is every year, its borderline unwatchable.  :wall:

Sunday RedZone can't get here fast enough.

TZM
The scary part is there were actually a bunch of no calls.

richn said:
Bragging....started Julio but sat Ryan for Keenum, against all the advice out there!!
 Everywhere I saw Orion ranked he was between 16 and 24 for the week. 

Where exactly did you see benching Ryan being against “all the advice out there“?  :unsure:

Everywhere I saw Orion ranked he was between 16 and 24 for the week. 

Where exactly did you see benching Ryan being against “all the advice out there“?  :unsure:
I used web sites and apps "who do I start".  Every ranking I saw he was higher then Keenum.  And I have a fantasy pros subscription.

I used web sites and apps "who do I start".  Every ranking I saw he was higher then Keenum.  And I have a fantasy pros subscription.
Oh, maybe higher than Keenum. Sorry, that was a bit unclear from your post. 

Apologies - I understand you now. 

The scary thought: this still may be the case. Keenum could arguably play worse.

i’ll keep my fingers crossed for ya. ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread