What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints release C.J. Spiller (1 Viewer)

rjv

Footballguy
Per nfl.com

Might be worth picking up or stashing and wait and see where he ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally lost on this. why in gods name would the saints sign him for so much money, then not play him? I understand the injury he had but man, this makes no sense.  He must of not been able to grasp this offense? Or he is really really slow in the head.

Speculation was that they were "showcasing him in the preseason to generate trade interest". 

I'd file that under "F" for Fail. 

No one will get this but I'm going to say it anyways, the best RB that could ever be a Saint would be Fred Jackson when he was in his prime. He could always function as the 2nd RB, he could block, catch, and yes he could run. He had little to no ego, he was hard working, and he was never worried how many touches he got.

Pierre Thomas IMO has had the best run as a RB in Sean Payton's offense. He was nothing special, stats not special but always helped make positive yards.

New Orleans is a place where RBs die mostly if they are anointed RB1, Thomas was always the other guy it seemed. He was 2nd to Bush, Ingram, finally ran out of gas last year on other teams.   

Seems to me like it would be something approaching an RBBC with Hightower getting the between the tackles carries and Cadet getting the passing down action, no?
Payton has a history of running different backs in different packages.  I never thought that philosophy suited Ingram very well.  I was surprised Ingram didn't go to another team when he had a shot.  Seems to have helped Lamar Miller....

I was misreading...Spiller got a 4yr/$16M deal and collected $5.75 last year and another $3.25 this year. He has another $3.25 next year but $1.5 is a roster bonus and I don't think he gets that. 

I would not be surprised if Spiller re-joined the Bills who might need an extra set of hands at receiver anyways. 

Houston Texans desperately need another RB, Lamar Miller cannot hold up under 32 touches a game IMHO...I'm sure his owners will say otherwise. 

Not a surprise to me and the reason I went out of my way to grab Daniel Lasco in as many leagues as I could. If you read game summaries or what the beat writers were saying last season, he doesn't have it any more and looked dreadful. I honestly expected this before the season began.

I would not be surprised if Spiller re-joined the Bills who might need an extra set of hands at receiver anyways. 
I would support that. He's an immediate upgrade over Reggie Bush. Bush had 1 career KR and he was signed to be a backup RB & the KR. He ran the ball twice last week. Was very slow, no burst, took 2 big losses, and ran past a defender on a pass (literally inches away from him) that ended up hitting Tyrod and forced the incompletion to Bush. He didn't see anymore action after the 2nd carry for a big loss. I don't think the team is going to make a switch though. I'd be happy (I could unretire his jersey from my closet) but for whatever reason the Bills liked Bush. Not sure what the intrigue is. Whaley didn't draft Spiller and he didn't play for Rex, so I don't see it happening (they could have brought Fred back but chose Reggie #######g Bush).

An interesting landing place would be the Jets. They brought in Forte, but Spiller had his best days in Chan Gailey's offense. We have seen what that has done for Fitzpatrick recently.

I would support that. He's an immediate upgrade over Reggie Bush. Bush had 1 career KR and he was signed to be a backup RB & the KR. He ran the ball twice last week. Was very slow, no burst, took 2 big losses, and ran past a defender on a pass (literally inches away from him) that ended up hitting Tyrod and forced the incompletion to Bush. He didn't see anymore action after the 2nd carry for a big loss. I don't think the team is going to make a switch though. I'd be happy (I could unretire his jersey from my closet) but for whatever reason the Bills liked Bush. Not sure what the intrigue is. Whaley didn't draft Spiller and he didn't play for Rex, so I don't see it happening (they could have brought Fred back but chose Reggie #######g Bush).

An interesting landing place would be the Jets. They brought in Forte, but Spiller had his best days in Chan Gailey's offense. We have seen what that has done for Fitzpatrick recently.
Forte is in for a career year, seriously...but I am no Powell fan and even being the RB3 on the Jets, if he can re-unite with his OC, that seems like an easy pick up for the Jets. 

Forte had 27 touches including 7 targets and 5 catches, they plan on using the RB extensively. 

Not a surprise to me and the reason I went out of my way to grab Daniel Lasco in as many leagues as I could. If you read game summaries or what the beat writers were saying last season, he doesn't have it any more and looked dreadful. I honestly expected this before the season began.
The beat writers in NO suck generally. They are in thrall to Payton & management. Let's see what happens, if he has juice left another team will gladly use him. The Bucs just signed Rodgers. I think the 9ers & Kelly could use his services very well. He should just be careful not to price himself out of a job.

It's too bad it did not work out. A couple things happened IMO. One was that he was injured early, but his straight line speed looked pretty damned good when caught that wheel route to the house vs Dallas last year. And personally I thought he turned the corner in camp and in PS just fine this year. He's a better runner than Cadet for sure right now. Another thing that happened was a change in RB philosophy, out went Sproles & Pierre, in came Ingram and they used him as a primary back. No more 140 receptions to 2 RBs. And the days of Bush & Bush Lite as primary options are over. The run game is definitely better now, but the offense has lost a little something IMO. Having said that they have been more effective dating back to last year when Cadet is in there. While that begs the question of whether the transition was a good idea I also realize you can't have & eat one's cannoli. Finally I don't think the Sproles deal ever sat well with Payton or Brees. I think that's a major split with the GM, and it's visible and I'd take greater note of that. If Spiller doesn't resign well I still think all of the above is true, I guess it's just fair to say that the injury last year was indeed more debilitating than the Saints' FO ever remotely let on, so I also blame them there especially considering the wasted money which seems to be a hallmark of a badly run franchise, the sort of thing they're so proud to have left behind.

$40 Million in dead money...I had to read it again. How much cap damage or how soon do you get cap relief? 
Should probably nominate them for that most dysfunctional franchise poll. 

Dead Money

Name

Cap Number

Junior Galette

$12,100,000

Keenan Lewis

$6,350,000

Jahri Evans

$5,100,000

CJ Spiller

$4,500,000

Brandon Browner

$4,050,000

Marques Colston

$2,700,000

David Hawthorne

$2,260,000

Brodrick Bunkley

$1,612,500

Erik Lorig

$500,000

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

$482,448

TOTAL

$40,405,183

It's too bad it did not work out. A couple things happened IMO. One was that he was injured early, but his straight line speed looked pretty damned good when caught that wheel route to the house vs Dallas last year. And personally I thought he turned the corner in camp and in PS just fine this year. He's a better runner than Cadet for sure right now. Another thing that happened was a change in RB philosophy, out went Sproles & Pierre, in came Ingram and they used him as a primary back. No more 140 receptions to 2 RBs. And the days of Bush & Bush Lite as primary options are over. The run game is definitely better now, but the offense has lost a little something IMO. Having said that they have been more effective dating back to last year when Cadet is in there. Finally I don't think the Sproles deal ever sat well with Payton or Brees. I think that's a major split with the GM, and it's visible and I'd take greater note of that. If Spiller doesn't resign well I still think all of the above is still true, I guess it's just fair to say that the injury last year was indeed more debilitating than the Saints' FO ever remotely let on.
I wondered the same thing... I think he was hurt last year, but he looked completely different this preseason.  I don't get the move from pretty much any angle.  I'm nearly positive they just paid him a roster bonus this year and locked in his salary... why? Then again I didn't understand signing him from either the team or the player perspective.  Spiller toils away in Buffalo behind Lynch (initially) and Fred Jackson for a couple years, finally explodes when he gets his chance, goes back into a timeshare for one more year... then he's a FA... can spread his wings and find an offense to feature him like Lamar Miller, and he goes to NO behind Ingram.  I thought for sure he'd be going to NY to reunite with Gailey, but the Jets signed Ivory and Spiller goes to NO... WTF?

At this point, I bet he has options... Indy should be calling (he's better than Turbin or Ferguson and could add a major weapon out of the backfield.  Carolina may have some interest as I don't think they trust anyone behind Stewart right now.  NY Jets would make some sense too - if Forte goes down idk what happens, and Chan Gailey was the HC when the Bills drafted Spiller and was his OC when Spiller broke out.  In theory NE could be interested, but idk. 

Coach Kelly has been on and off the phone since news broke..

Trouble is the Vikings been calling too  (guess spending draft picks has its perks)

Users who are viewing this thread