What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A tie is a tie? (1 Viewer)

chasyone

Footballguy
Im the commish of an ESPN league and and we switched to decimal system to avoid ties but we had a tie week 1. We don't have a tie breaker so a tie is a tie or so I thought. It gave one owner the win and the other the loss instead of both 0-0-1. I went to settings and its on the default setting none which means any game ending in a tie will be a tie in the standings

what am I missing?

Im the commish of an ESPN league and and we switched to decimal system to avoid ties but we had a tie week 1. We don't have a tie breaker so a tie is a tie or so I thought. It gave one owner the win and the other the loss instead of both 0-0-1. I went to settings and its on the default setting none which means any game ending in a tie will be a tie in the standings

what am I missing?
That you should change the default settings to allow ties as is the understanding of your league.

I did set the the tie breaker to none before the season. We have never had a tie breaker in 14 years. It's always a tie is a tie and we have had 3 ties including this one in the 14 years. Why did ESPN give a win and a loss when the tie breaker is set to none. It says if you select none the all games will end in a tie and be reflected in the standings 

It probably isn't a tie. ESPN rounds to the tenth of a point, but QB scoring goes out to the hundredth.

It probably isn't a tie. ESPN rounds to the tenth of a point, but QB scoring goes out to the hundredth.
I just read their definition of "none" and think you had the rules right but this is probably the right answer.

Scores are shown with one decimal place but we go the hundredths on return yards, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell that to the National Football League Competition Committee...

If the real thing can end in a tie, why not a made up version of it?
Because it's a tie!!!!!

What was the point of playing if it ends in a tie?!?!?!

God, I hate a ####### tie!

I thought more people would feel the same.  Oh well.  lol. 

We play using hundredth decimal scoring. Have had three ties in six years. Makes for an interesting playoff bubble come end of season matchups. We try to keep our league close to following actual NFL.

FYI: I couldn't figure out how to set our ESPN league up for fractional scoring until yesterday.  I had it set up as 10 yards per point and changed it to .02 points per yard for rushing/receiving and .04 yards per point (1 pt per 25 yards) of passing. There's a box to change the scoring setting to yards per point and you have to switch it to points per yard 

In my league, a tie is a tie, happens more than you think.

We save the tiebreakers for making the playoffs, where we have about 6 or 7 listed to break the tie entering the playoffs.  but having that tie, usually helps in its own right.

Tie's are fun and weird, that non-loss helps in a playoff tiebreaker, but the non win hurts.

Adds a wrinkle to the league, embrace it...

I'm not sure what you're missing based on what you wrote in the OP, but if your rules are that there is no tiebreaker, it's truly a tie and not a rounding issue, and you consider a tie=tie, then you should override the standings. Why allow a site to set an arbitrary tiebreaker that doesn't match your own rules?

I'm not sure what you're missing based on what you wrote in the OP, but if your rules are that there is no tiebreaker, it's truly a tie and not a rounding issue, and you consider a tie=tie, then you should override the standings. Why allow a site to set an arbitrary tiebreaker that doesn't match your own rules?
Doesn't sound like ESPN is using a tie-breaker. What happens is they round your scores to the nearest tenth of a point. So say a team score 124.26 and another scored 124.34. ESPN will show both as 124.3, but clearly the team with 124.34 won. Yahoo breaks it out to the hundredth, but ESPN does not.

I'd rather have a tie than have it broken by something stupid like most bench points.  
[soapbox]

Bench points as a weekly tiebreaker is the stupidest ####### thing I have ever encountered in 20 years of playing fantasy football. Think about the message you're sending: that the team who would have scored more points if they'd been smart enough to put different players in their starting lineup deserves the win.

In other words, you're rewarding owners for being bad gameday GMs.

I'd love to see Goodell handle a real NFL tie the same way. Like, he'd just march out onto the field at the end of regulation and tell Pete Carroll, "Well, Pete, it's 10-10. But Adam over there made Jay Ajayi a gameday inactive to prove a point in his locker room, and if Jay had been out there he definitely would have converted that critical 3rd down instead of forcing the Fins to punt back in the 3rd quarter. So I've got no choice but to award Miami the win here. Sorry 'bout that. Better luck next week."

[/soapbox]

Mr. Irrelevant said:
[soapbox]

Bench points as a weekly tiebreaker is the stupidest ####### thing I have ever encountered in 20 years of playing fantasy football. Think about the message you're sending: that the team who would have scored more points if they'd been smart enough to put different players in their starting lineup deserves the win.

In other words, you're rewarding owners for being bad gameday GMs.

I'd love to see Goodell handle a real NFL tie the same way. Like, he'd just march out onto the field at the end of regulation and tell Pete Carroll, "Well, Pete, it's 10-10. But Adam over there made Jay Ajayi a gameday inactive to prove a point in his locker room, and if Jay had been out there he definitely would have converted that critical 3rd down instead of forcing the Fins to punt back in the 3rd quarter. So I've got no choice but to award Miami the win here. Sorry 'bout that. Better luck next week."

[/soapbox]
you're assuming the guy's bench players outscored his starters.  if not, you're rewarding the team with better depth, which isn't outrageous.

you're assuming the guy's bench players outscored his starters.  if not, you're rewarding the team with better depth, which isn't outrageous.
Not necessarily. It basically rewards people that would roster 2 QBs. If I have a top 3-5 QB, I rarely ever roster another QB. Why waste a spot on a backup QB when I can take a chance on a high upside WR or RB?

I don't agree with this.  You could also be penalizing owners that happen to have players on bye week where their bench players have zero chance to score any points.  Points left on a bench should have no bearing on the results of a contest where the only thing relevant is the points scored by starters.  I'm all for letting the tie stand--or for picking out a tie breaking metric that only applies to players started: (i.e. Maybe most points by qb's, most total tds by starters..etc).  

bjabrad said:
FYI: I couldn't figure out how to set our ESPN league up for fractional scoring until yesterday.  I had it set up as 10 yards per point and changed it to .02 points per yard for rushing/receiving and .04 yards per point (1 pt per 25 yards) of passing. There's a box to change the scoring setting to yards per point and you have to switch it to points per yard 
Seems like your rushing/receiving yards are wrong.  If you want there to be 1pt for every 10 yards rushed/received--it needs to be .1 pt per yard (not 0.02).  They way you have it set up--you need 50 yards to get 1 point.  

MattFancy said:
Doesn't sound like ESPN is using a tie-breaker. What happens is they round your scores to the nearest tenth of a point. So say a team score 124.26 and another scored 124.34. ESPN will show both as 124.3, but clearly the team with 124.34 won. Yahoo breaks it out to the hundredth, but ESPN does not.
Good point. I probably should have said something like "if it's truly a tie and not a rounding issue"...

Seems like your rushing/receiving yards are wrong.  If you want there to be 1pt for every 10 yards rushed/received--it needs to be .1 pt per yard (not 0.02).  They way you have it set up--you need 50 yards to get 1 point.  
Oh sure, if you want to be a MATH :nerd: about it and actually check what result it will give...

spider321 said:
Because it's a tie!!!!!

What was the point of playing if it ends in a tie?!?!?!

God, I hate a ####### tie!

I thought more people would feel the same.  Oh well.  lol. 
I feel exactly the opposite.  If two teams battle equally for x minutes, why should one be awarded a "win" when they didn't earn it?  Why should one be saddled with a loss?  Equal is equal & a tie accurately reflects that.

Except that you're not. If Team A has Le'Veon Bell and Rob Gronkowski on the bench, and still managed to tie Team B, who is carrying all three of Shaun Hill,  Case Keenum and Blaine Gabbert as backup QBs, who has better depth?

RUSF18 said:
I can't find anywhere on ESPN to override the standings

Users who are viewing this thread