What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Stash - Chargers RB Kenneth Farrow (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
It's usually pretty hard to find a good RB in most FF leagues, but every year seems to see 1-2 guys like Dion Lewis, CJ Anderson, and Spencer Ware emerge from the scrap heap to become valuable FF commodities. With that in mind, I thought I'd make a thread for the RB I am stashing everywhere: Kenneth Farrow.

This guy caught my eye in highlights for Houston last NCAA season, but went undrafted. He had a tryout with the Chargers, secured a contract, and eventually made the 53 man roster. Oliver's injury probably helped him there, but it seems like he might have made it anyway. He was active this past Sunday as the #3 RB and would likely be the workhorse if something were to happen to Melvin Gordon, with Woodhead retaining the complement role.

There are quite a few things that I like about this player.

- He has good physical ability for the pro game. He checked in at 5'9 1/2" and 219 pounds at his pro day. He also tested well, running 4.59 in the 40 while jumping 10'2" in the broad jump and 38" in the vertical. Those are excellent numbers in the jumps. The 40 time is not great in a vacuum, but it's good for a player of his dimensions. PFF said, " His vertical (38 inches) and times in the three-cone (6.95), short shuttle (4.14), and 60-yard shuttle (11.31) drills would have ranked within the top three at the combine."

- He was a productive college player at Houston. Last season he ranked 75th in the nation with 958 rushing yards on 185 carries (5.18 YPC). He also showed very good big play ability. Farrow ranked just 67th in the nation in rushing attempts, but 25th in runs of 20+ yards. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the 4th and 7th highest grades among all college RBs in rushing and receiving over his final two seasons at Houston.

- He passes the eyeball test. Despite being a relatively heavy back for his height, when you watch his Houston highlights you can see that he has very good feet and hips, showing a nice ability to plant and cut. This is a quality that I think is crucial for NFL RBs, and Farrow is pretty good in this department for a bigger back. His running style and cutting ability remind me a little bit of Jeremy Hill, who has had some success at the pro level.

- He showed good ability in the preseason. Here's a nice long run and TD. And here's a spin move from the same game.

The best part of all is that he's probably available for nothing in your league. Assuming that you have the space to be patient, you can grab him off waivers and see what happens over the next couple seasons. I don't think he's the next Jim Brown or anything crazy like that, but he seems good enough to potentially do something in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

One quick question though that I simply am not familiar with: how was Melvin Gordon in the redzone last year?  I wonder because I see a small, stout back with short area burst and some vision.  I wonder if they might have been considering him for a goal line back role.

I liked what I saw from him in the pre-season.

One other Charger I'd like to add to the list is Hunter Henry. I have him on my bench in every league I am in. I saw in training camp absolutely dominate! I have not seen his skill set in a long time. I think the plan was to ease him into the season but now they are going to throw to him 5-7 times a game. Look, Gates is done....can he be effective...sure, but trust me, he's an old man, Henry is big, fast, and he has amazing hands.

I have not seen a thread on Henry on this forum and have been surprised, I bet there will be one come next Monday.

I hate to say it, but this guy, through injury is now fantasy relevant.

The tape I saw, he certainly didn't seem fast by any means, more so just "good" but he is now looking to be thrust into a scenario where he possibly gets a sizable role.

I can make pickups in 2 of my leagues at any time, and I will drop Woodhead and snag Farrow. What happens if Melvin Gordon goes down? I am not trying to tie my fantasy season to the SD backfield, but since I drafted Gordon+Woodhead in two leagues, I am already somewhat invested.

I know they also have Andre Williams lurking, but I am not very interested in that craziness unless something truly awful happens.

TZM

He can take Woodhead's role IF he impresses Rivers with his ability to know the playbook, get open, and hold on to the ball.

I think he can. This is the biggest opportunity in his career. If he has any fire in his belly, he'll put the work in, and make something happen.

He can take Woodhead's role IF he impresses Rivers with his ability to know the playbook, get open, and hold on to the ball.

I think he can. This is the biggest opportunity in his career. If he has any fire in his belly, he'll put the work in, and make something happen.
you forgot to post "-signed woodhead owner"

Its more likely they sign someone than this scrub takes over.

HA! It does sound like I own Woodhead....I am a Charger fan....I knew not to draft him as an injury liability, same with Keenan. Burn me once......Burn me twice....

I do have Benjamin, Williams, and Henry.

The fact that the Chargers signed Griff Whalen today to take his spot on the roster, shows that the Chargers like what they have in Farrow.

you forgot to post "-signed woodhead owner"

Its more likely they sign someone than this scrub takes over.
Sign who though?  Spiller?  Nobody want to get in that bed.  Who else is out there?  Brandon Oliver returning? I agree with your thought that Farrow probably isn't the answer but I think a trade might make more sense.  Would KC trade West or Davis?  Would Dallas send DMAC if he's healthy? I'm looking more at guys that are somewhat "proven" but are not atop their depth chart. those players make more sense to me.   

I hate to say it, but this guy, through injury is now fantasy relevant.

The tape I saw, he certainly didn't seem fast by any means, more so just "good" but he is now looking to be thrust into a scenario where he possibly gets a sizable role.
Agreed.  Nothing special in that tape, especially against some questionable college defenses.  BUT, opportunity knocks so in deep leagues, why not?

From clips I've found, he looks bigger than listed.  Since I own Gordon A LOT I'm trying to grab him as much as I can.  Once I saw Woodhead go down I read about him a little bit so I'm glad I found him before waivers go through.  

How is he in the passing game?

In the Chargers offense, being able to catch passed and pass block could really get him some opportunities. 

From clips I've found, he looks bigger than listed.  Since I own Gordon A LOT I'm trying to grab him as much as I can.  Once I saw Woodhead go down I read about him a little bit so I'm glad I found him before waivers go through.  
Some people kind of instinctively retch when I mention BMI, but it can tell you something about a player's build. Farrow is "only" 219 pounds, but on a 5'9.5" frame. That's a 31.9 BMI, which is quite huge. To put it into context, only 4 of 30 first round RBs drafted since the Ronnie Brown/Cadillac/Benson class have been higher than that (Stewart, Richardson, D Martin, Mendenhall). In other words, Farrow is quite a large back when you consider weight-per-height.

How is he in the passing game?

In the Chargers offense, being able to catch passed and pass block could really get him some opportunities. 
His college stats don't show a lot of pass catching ability.  In 4 years the most catches he had was 24 during his sophomore year.

Ugh, my post above got messed up with formatting, so I deleted it. The formatting on these forums is just brutal with quotes now.

Anyway, what I was saying is that Farrow is an above average receiver for a big back. Very good receiving stats in college. 74 catches for 546 yards (7.4 YPR) in his career. He was also a three year captain, so character isn't an issue.

He first came onto my radar last season when I was profiling players for the weekly CFB column that I used to do. He caught my eye then, but I stopped following him after he went undrafted (I don't think he even got a combine invite?). Then when I saw his name on the stat sheet for SD it all came back to me and I snapped him up in my dynasty leagues. I've seen a lot of college running backs over the past 10 years or so. If you showed me Farrow's stats and highlights, and told me he was a 3rd-4th round pick, I would believe you. I don't see first round talent there, but it is actually quite hard to find 220+ pounders who can cut across their body and swivel their hips like this (the run starting at 0:15):

https://youtu.be/5Jfm0ym0wew?t=15s

I have no bold predictions for him, but big guys who can catch the ball and move a little bit often translate pretty well to the NFL. We've seen players like CJ Anderson, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Joique Bell, Rashad Jennings, Spencer Ware, and Isaiah Crowell achieve varying degrees of relevance in the last few years. On average, I don't think Farrow is any less talented than that group. I don't see him taking carries from a healthy Gordon, but maybe he can lock down the #2 spot and show some flashes.

His college stats don't show a lot of pass catching ability.  In 4 years the most catches he had was 24 during his sophomore year.
You do realize that that's a lot of catches for a college RB, right? College teams don't throw to the backs much. It's more of an NFL thing.

Here are college season bests for some NFL notables:

Reggie Bush - 43

Arian Foster - 39

LeSean McCoy - 33

Matt Forte - 32

Darren Sproles - 32

Jamaal Charles - 18

College seasons are shorter than NFL seasons and teams probably don't use the backs as much as receivers. 30 catches in a college season would be a very high number for a RB.

I'm picking him up and not being shy with the FAAB.   Chargers RBs get tons of targets and are usually PPR gold... 

If he does catch passes and does so better than Gordon he could be a stud. 

[SIZE=12pt]Don't sleep on Andre Williams who might replace Woodhead in the rotation.  He hasn't proved he's a reliable receiver with his time with the Giants but who knows?[/SIZE]

Good point, perhaps we shouldn't overlook Andre Williams too quickly.  I feel like Williams was essentially the anti-Danny Woodhead earlier in his career, but in his 3rd year as a pro his pass protection could be better than a rookie can provide.

I'm still aggressively picking up Farrow and we will probably get a look at what his role will be right away.

There's a Whisenhunt favorite on the street right now. Imagine he'll at least get a workout. Good sign for Farrow if he doesnt.

I picked him up after hearing about Brandon Oliver's injury.  EBF endorsement makes me concerned about his future. 

EBF said:
You do realize that that's a lot of catches for a college RB, right? College teams don't throw to the backs much. It's more of an NFL thing.

Here are college season bests for some NFL notables:

Reggie Bush - 43

Arian Foster - 39

LeSean McCoy - 33

Matt Forte - 32

Darren Sproles - 32

Jamaal Charles - 18

College seasons are shorter than NFL seasons and teams probably don't use the backs as much as receivers. 30 catches in a college season would be a very high number for a RB.
Good info here.

[SIZE=12pt]Don't sleep on Andre Williams who might replace Woodhead in the rotation.  He hasn't proved he's a reliable receiver with his time with the Giants but who knows?[/SIZE]
He has shown to have hands of stone for the most part. Gordon is much better suited to replace Woodhead - Williams' role may increase but he's a straight ahead find a hole runner (without great vision). He does have good straight line speed for his size however.

McCluster's signing takes a lot of shine off of Farrow.  He should be able to immediately step in and contribute.  For the Farrow true believers, this may provide an opportunity to get Farrow for less of your budget.

Hopefully it turns out like Tyrell Williams and James Jones. If Farrow doesn't have a role due to McCluster's presence, that probably tells us all we need to know.

Farrow is a three down pounder who happens to be able to catch the ball. He's not quick or dynamic though like Woodhead. Despite what I said previously about his receiving stats, I don't think he was ever going to be a like-for-like replacement for Woodhead. McCluster will most likely get the Woodhead role, since he's more like that WR-playing-RB type of player. I like Farrow as a dynasty stash. I don't think he's going to have redraft value unless Gordon goes down. 

Farrow is a three down pounder who happens to be able to catch the ball. He's not quick or dynamic though like Woodhead. Despite what I said previously about his receiving stats, I don't think he was ever going to be a like-for-like replacement for Woodhead. McCluster will most likely get the Woodhead role, since he's more like that WR-playing-RB type of player. I like Farrow as a dynasty stash. I don't think he's going to have redraft value unless Gordon goes down. 
Do we think Farrow would be the guy over A Williams if Gordon were to falter/get hurt?

Do we think Farrow would be the guy over A Williams if Gordon were to falter/get hurt?
No clue. Why did the Chargers even sign Williams? IMO Williams has some similarities with Gordon, or at least the Gordon we saw in 2015 and in college. Both backs need a lot of room in order to do their best work. They aren't the greatest at making people miss in tight spaces, but once you get them a lane, they can do some impressive things. Maybe the Chargers view Williams as a like-for-like if Gordon goes down. It makes some sense. Farrow doesn't have the same speed or home run capability. He's not an explosive player, but he's good at making cuts. 

In a vacuum, I like Farrow a lot more. I don't think he's a world beater, but he's the type of guy that a team could sign off the street, thrust into a starting role, and get decent results from. That's why I compared him to names like BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Rashad Jennings, Spencer Ware, and CJ Anderson. I see him as being in the same vein. A jack-of-all-trades and a master of none. I'd rather have that player on my team than the extremely one-dimensional Williams, however if the Chargers plan to use McCluster for the scatback role and Williams for the two down role then I can see Farrow being the odd man out.

So far this season the Bolts have opted to activate Farrow instead of Williams on game day. Doesn't mean it's 100% sure to stay that way though. 

No clue. Why did the Chargers even sign Williams? IMO Williams has some similarities with Gordon, or at least the Gordon we saw in 2015 and in college. Both backs need a lot of room in order to do their best work. They aren't the greatest at making people miss in tight spaces, but once you get them a lane, they can do some impressive things. Maybe the Chargers view Williams as a like-for-like if Gordon goes down. It makes some sense. Farrow doesn't have the same speed or home run capability. He's not an explosive player, but he's good at making cuts. 

In a vacuum, I like Farrow a lot more. I don't think he's a world beater, but he's the type of guy that a team could sign off the street, thrust into a starting role, and get decent results from. That's why I compared him to names like BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Rashad Jennings, Spencer Ware, and CJ Anderson. I see him as being in the same vein. A jack-of-all-trades and a master of none. I'd rather have that player on my team than the extremely one-dimensional Williams, however if the Chargers plan to use McCluster for the scatback role and Williams for the two down role then I can see Farrow being the odd man out.

So far this season the Bolts have opted to activate Farrow instead of Williams on game day. Doesn't mean it's 100% sure to stay that way though. 
Given that Gordon was coming off microfracture surgery and missed games last season, Woodhead missed almost all of the previous season, and Oliver is out for the year, I think the Chargers felt they needed to carry 4 RBs. Apparently, they liked Williams better than their other options.

It isn't clear what it is about him they like or how they might envision using him. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from him being inactive so far, since he was claimed just before the season started and may still be learning the offense. 

I found this interesting...

Ricky HenneVerified account @ChargersRHenne Sep 19

Kenneth Farrow said Woodhead took him under his wing as the two would come to the facility early each morning. Taught him his weekly routine

In my league, Farrow went for $8 faab to the Gordon owner.  Meanwhile, McCluster went for $47.

$200 faab budget, 18 team league, 0.5 ppr.

The McCluster signing made him super cheap. 

I think he is a good pickup in deep dynasty.   We are going to get a look at Farrow since Dexter probably won't be up to speed or in shape instantly...  

If Farrow shows well he could earn a longer look and push McCluster out of the picture as insurance. 

Farrow is more of a volume runner, and less of a "splash" play type of guy though. I think if you just have 6-10 touches to distribute, they're actually probably better spent on McCluster. However, if you're looking for a guy who could eventually hold down a full-time job, well then Farrow > McCluster.

I like McCluster > Farrow in redraft. I like Farrow > McCluster in dynasty.

How much worse than Gordon would Farrow be if given Gordon's workload? Gordon is averaging 3.3ypc on the season which is 2nd worst of all RBs with 50+ carries, only Gurley (3ypc) is less effective.

Gordon's workload is heavy too. If he were ever to go down, I could see this guy randomly stepping in and winning championships with plus match-ups vs. OAK in week 15 and IND in week 16. Fantasy is an odd game.

How much worse than Gordon would Farrow be if given Gordon's workload? Gordon is averaging 3.3ypc on the season which is 2nd worst of all RBs with 50+ carries, only Gurley (3ypc) is less effective.

Gordon's workload is heavy too. If he were ever to go down, I could see this guy randomly stepping in and winning championships with plus match-ups vs. OAK in week 15 and IND in week 16. Fantasy is an odd game.
Much worse. Much, much worse. Farrow doesn't have the breakaway speed to get around the edge when the online doesn't create a hole on 75% of the run plays. You see last week when Deion Jones failed to wrap up Gordon and Gordon went back around the other side for 15 yards? Few backs in the game are doing that. Does Farrow even catch? Likely they bring McCluster in for all pass downs if Gordon goes down. Gordon is the main pass catcher as well now. 3 downs. Farrow won't be winning anybody anything except a bye week filler payout.

I have followed your posts and thoughts on Farrow SSND.

I also went back and checked out Farrow's preseason work. (when I could get it online)

I want to say that I know the "situation is ripe" more so than I think the talent is "elite" if you get my drift.

I have  mentioned him several times, weeks ago. "pick him up, keep hm on your radar". Its not like I think Farrow is the second coming, I just think hes a "solid" but not "great" all around back, and these are the type of non-flashy guys that help us shrewd owners win championships.

I argued a few years back about Joique Bell, everyone laughed  but one season his "solid RB#2 numbers" in the closing weeks helped me win a championship. All it takes is opportunity and "fair" talent. This is most obvious when other "studs" are getting hurt late season. Sometimes low end RB#2 numbers is all it takes f you are stacked everywhere else, as you should be.

Its not a strike against Farrow, but I think this is the perfect storm of solid workload and "decent" all around talent.

I actually own Farrow in 2/4 redraft leagues. I had guys ask me "who is this guy, you are crazy" but I see the possible workload as so crucial.  (I'm the guy who goes WR-WR early, so players like Melvin Gordon are ones I targeted)

I hope nothing happens to Gordon, but if it does, I will be ready with Farrow.

TZM

given the scarcity of quality fantasy RB's FBG would be wise to continually update an "emergency call" list for RB stashes... basically provide informed thoughts on if player A were to go down players B and C would likely split work at X rate.  would help aid in identifying true sleepers like farrow.  given farrow isnt a world beater wouldnt this situation end up more like the woodhead/gordon 2015 relationship where mccluster takes passing down work and the other was the running down back?

Dot

Opportunity is by far the most significant variable in terms of short term rb production (vastly more important than talent). 

Dot

Opportunity is by far the most significant variable in terms of short term rb production (vastly more important than talent). 
Absolutely.  If Gordon misses any time, Farrow could pay huge dividends in the playoffs.(especially in ppr)

I currently have him penciled in as my starter over Latavius, Gurley, Ware, and Rawls.  I'm not loving any of the matchups for those guys so I'll gamble on Farrow this week, unless Gordon is playing.

The San Diego Union-Tribune's Michael Gehlken suggests the Chargers could use Kenneth Farrow and Ronnie Hillman in a "platoon" if Melvin Gordon (knee, hip) can't play in Week 15 against the Raiders.
Gordon is sounding like a player unlikely to be available this week. Gehlken notes that Farrow struggled in pass protection in Sunday's loss to Carolina, while the Bolts might feel more comfortable with journeyman Hillman in a blitz-pickup role. The Chargers also have Andre Williams stashed on their practice squad.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune 
Dec 12 - 5:37 PM

Users who are viewing this thread