What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rb's you are starting over Gurley this week (1 Viewer)

lazyike

Footballguy
PPR. Gurley off to a slow start and going against Seattle's defense personally I am considering starting Yeldon over him this week.( Much depends on whether Ivory plays) Yeldon goes up against a weak Charger defense that Ware demolished last week. Anyone else going to bench Gurley and who for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurley aka Trent Richardson 2.0????  :tinfoilhat:

If you think he is anywhere near an elite RB you are not benching him unless you are in a 4 team league.

Gurley aka Trent Richardson 2.0????  :tinfoilhat:

If you think he is anywhere near an elite RB you are not benching him unless you are in a 4 team league.
He's an absolutely elite RB ... on a beyond-awful team vs arguably the best run D in football. 

Among others I have Rashard Jennings vs the Saints. Talent wise Gurley is infinitely better, but which offense would you bet on moving up and down the field like a hot knife through melted butter?

Probably will start Ware over him, leaning that way.  Yeldon is a bit of a stretch IMO but PPR I guess I can see the logic.

Every Gurley owner is uneasy and can imagine seeing 20 carries for 52 yards in the box score next week. But until he strings together four bad games I still consider him one of the most capable to go off for 140/2 regardless of opponent because he can bust one at any time.

That's how he scored last year, by busting long runs. It was ugly on Monday but all it takes is one play where the blocking gives him a lane for him to have a huge day. The people who started Yeldon type backs when he goes off will be moaning about it in the Gurley thread immediately.

He's an absolutely elite RB ... on a beyond-awful team vs arguably the best run D in football. 

Among others I have Rashard Jennings vs the Saints. Talent wise Gurley is infinitely better, but which offense would you bet on moving up and down the field like a hot knife through melted butter?
Just because the Giants move the ball up the field doesn't mean 1 of 3 other backs don't get the ball or one of 3-4 WRs don't get thrown the ball for a TD.

Like I said if you think Gurley is elite you start him and if not you trade him. You have him to plug him in every week regardless of who he is playing. Think of it this way:

Gurley plays: Seattle 2x (week 15), Arizona 2x (week 17), Bills 1x, Jets 1x, Patriots 1x (week 13)

The only real change I see in the Rams 2015 vs 2016 is StL>LA... still a super-talented, 2-down RB on a 1970s offense, with a reclaim QB, and a losing coach.

Having said that, he went 80 yds and a TD in Seattle during FF playoffs last year.

Why did you draft him if you are not gonna start him? Did you not realize the Rams offense was bad before the season and you still drafted him.

88 and td last year. Why take a guy top 5 if you are going to be afraid to play him all year. Don't tell me you just realized he played in the NFCW

Anyone? Because I wasn't stupid enough to draft him in any of my 10 leagues. So overvalued.  He was pedestrian after week 5 when defenses just started stacking the box against him. The offensive line and QB situation both got worse.  Sell while he still has high perceived value. It's a steal if you can get someone like Ingram for him.

Should I drop Gurley to bid on Jalen Richard? My waivers runs tonight.

Just kidding ... forced to wait Gurley out since I play in mostly no-trade leagues. Not thrilled about it. I knew the Rams would be bad, but I didn't realize they would be on a high school level.

If I lived in LA, I'd bring a sign to the home opener that says "Send the Rams back to St. Louis."

Should I drop Gurley to bid on Jalen Richard? My waivers runs tonight.

Just kidding ... forced to wait Gurley out since I play in mostly no-trade leagues. Not thrilled about it. I knew the Rams would be bad, but I didn't realize they would be on a high school level.

If I lived in LA, I'd bring a sign to the home opener that says "Send the Rams back to St. Louis."
I'd bring a sign that says fired Fisher. Goff and Gurley will never reach their full potential under the current regime.

I dropped gurley and elliott from my team already. 

I saw all i needed to see to kno these guys are BUMS

My neighbor's nephew plays peewee league football. He's 11. If I had Gurley, I would start my neighbor's nephew over him. 

Anyone? Because I wasn't stupid enough to draft him in any of my 10 leagues. So overvalued.  He was pedestrian after week 5 when defenses just started stacking the box against him. The offensive line and QB situation both got worse.  Sell while he still has high perceived value. It's a steal if you can get someone like Ingram for him.
Yep, definitely "pedestrian" after week 5.  Wait, I don't think "pedestrian" means what you think it means. Because I don't think a guy who puts up 10 games that project out to annual rate of:

1500+ total yards and 16 TDs is "pedestrian."

But then again, I drafted him, so what do I know.

i could see the logic if we're talking dynasty and you have another guy with a better matchup.  

but it starting a guy in a timeshare over him?

this thread will end poorly.  

Jokes aside, if I had Gurley, I'd start him.

its the NFL - the Rams aren't as bad as they looked and just on the basis of a GL carry or 2 you have to start him.

Should probably sit that AP guy too.  Awful first game, dude will never amount to anything.  That Mckennion guy looks pretty good though, he might just have a future.    :wall:

He had a couple bad games last season and bounced back. Monday night did worry me though. Im not a Rams fan so I had no clue what to expect really. The offense didn't look nfl ready. I lost my 1st week of the season with Adrian Peterson and Todd Gurley in my lineup. Im currently in last place(8 team PPR league). My 3rd back is Demarco Murray. Its tempting to put Demarco for Gurley and play a WR in my Flex. 

Pedestrian.   :lmao:

He's starting until I know for sure he can't overcome the Rams. So at least 4-5 weeks. 

Yep, definitely "pedestrian" after week 5.  Wait, I don't think "pedestrian" means what you think it means. Because I don't think a guy who puts up 10 games that project out to annual rate of:

1500+ total yards and 16 TDs is "pedestrian."

But then again, I drafted him, so what do I know.
After his first five games, so that's week 9, not week 5.  You can't overcome that bad of an offense. AP has had Favre and Bridgewater. Ponder was serviceable. The Rams QB are way worse than Ponder ever was and the talent on their offensive line is atrocious (31st in NFL). He was in no way worth a first round pick. 

Ingram's stats pro-rated out would be 1565 yards and 8 TDs.  They have a top 10 offensive line and a hall of fame QB.  I maintain that Ingram will be a better rest of season bet, per game, than Gurley.  Sell while you can.

Is Gurley going to bust a few highlight reel plays and have one or two monster games? Probably. But he's a bad bet for the price. 

Starting Gurley. 

I drafted him over David Johnson because I believe he is the best RB since AP.

Guess we'll find out. 

In my keeper league, (the only 1 where I have Gurley)

I also have Mark Ingram, DeAngelo Williams, Thomas Rawls

-----

Starting 2 out of those guys Gurley doesn't see my roster this week. (or the foreseeable future till something changes)

In a keeper league you're going to keep Gurley, (and if your forced to draft him because where your number is you do as well)

But with that QB play and putrid offense as a whole I have no problem saying Gurley rides the pine till I see something resembling an offense.

And anyone else that has decent backs to play instead I say you're good to do it as well.

----

I personally like Gurley, great player, but in my redrafts I had David Johnson and other ranked ahead I would take instead, but I wouldn't pass him up altogether.

(the situation is just not good there, but at my pic if others are gone and he's there I take him, but I play him/other where I feel I'll get the most points that week)

----

Sorry with that offense I don't treat Gurley as the stud to play regardless of situation/opponent. (so if you've got decent replacements I'm on board with him sitting)

Safe to say the Rams will play better, no? There's every reason to believe that this offense can get back to the same level they played at in 2015. :X

Heard an interesting stat earlier tonight... last nine (9) games, Gurley, 3.8 YPC

Why is everyone so down on Gurley??

There is this "ghostguy" tool around here somewhere that argued and argued with me in the Gurley thread how he would take Gurley OVER David Johnson even if Gurley tore his ACL again.

He seems to think Gurley is the second coming.  Why is everyone nervous?

That aside - I see why everyone is down. But the fact of the matter is, like I pointed out to that goose in the thread, the Rams offense is bad. We knew this last year.

It has only been one week people.  I don't panic on any fantasy players at all, more so I just prepare to "make a move", if its a trade, or an outright drop.

Nobody should even say much of anything until like week 6, then its going to be uncomfortable for you Gurley owners if this continues.

He has SEA in week 2 then AZ in week 4, so I don't see how you can expect too much from him until later in the season really.

But I don't own any shares of him, the only RB I took early in any league was David Johnson.  I try and hoist as many WRs as I can in our start 3WR leagues.

TZM

Here's another interesting stat.

He rushed for 47 yards vs. the Niners.

He had 52 yards rushing after contact.

To say he didn't have "any room to run" is an understatement.

All it takes is 1 play with 8-9 in the box & he breaks 1 tackle or busts through the line & he's gone.

I've seen it happen time & time again with players of this caliber.

My 2nd RB is Latavius Murray - Which of the following RB's (My 3rd RB's) would you start in place of Gurley?

Gio Bernard, Bilal Powell, Ameer Abdullah

You could make a case for Abdullah, but he's boom or bust IMO.

Gurley starts - even against the "Vaunted - ZOMG they're impossible to beat!!" Seattle defense

I will almost certainly start Gurley. But when there is an argument to made, I feel justified in being conflicted and not just auto-piloting. Unlike some others (like the guy above me), I have REALLY good alternatives - I play in a dynasty league, not redraft, so I didn't just take Gurley 1.03, he's just a guy on my roster. Hopefully one of the best guys but maybe in some weeks...

Hopefully you have CJ Anderson, Ezekiel Elliott, David Johnson, Deangelo Williams, Spencer Ware.

Short of that, I can't imagine who you would start over Gurley this week. Assuming you start at least 2 RB's

I start minimum 1 RB and since I'm loaded at WR, I can get away with that. I have Shady, Hill, Jennings in a sick matchup, among others. Like I said, I'll almost certainly still start Gurley, but to me it's worth at least thinking about. I can see how in minimum 2 RB redrafts it's near impossible. Then again I don't see why anyone would play redraft to begin with. 

I'm considering CJA and Ware over Gurley this week, though I'm waiting out the Charles status for KC.  

It's not a long term OMG PANIC!!1! type thing.  It's a one week situation where he legitmately looks to be 3rd best of that group.  If he breaks out, great.  Better for future weeks

Bruce Leroy said:
Hopefully you have CJ Anderson, Ezekiel Elliott, David Johnson, Deangelo Williams, Spencer Ware.

Short of that, I can't imagine who you would start over Gurley this week. Assuming you start at least 2 RB's

I'm considering CJA and Ware over Gurley this week, though I'm waiting out the Charles status for KC.  

It's not a long term OMG PANIC!!1! type thing.  It's a one week situation where he legitmately looks to be 3rd best of that group THIS WEEK.  If he breaks out, great.  Better for future weeks

Here are FBG (Dodds/Norton) rankings this week for starters in a PPR league. Gurley comes in at 18. A lot of owners would certainly own 2-3 of these RBs ranked ahead of him unless they drafted zero RB . I have Forte and Yeldon but I still may start Gruley as my flex ahead of Crabtree or Diggs(

David Johnson

ARI

vs TB

DeAngelo Williams

PIT

vs CIN

C.J. Anderson

DEN

vs IND

Lamar Miller

HOU

vs KC

Spencer Ware 

KC

at HOU

Ezekiel Elliott

DAL

at WAS

Mark Ingram

NO

at NYG

Adrian Peterson

MIN

vs GB

Matt Forte

NYJ

at BUF

T.J. Yeldon

JAX

at SD

Danny Woodhead

SD

vs JAX

LeSean McCoy

BUF

vs NYJ

DeMarco Murray

TEN

at DET

Jonathan Stewart

CAR

vs SF

Doug Martin

TB

at ARI

Latavius Murray

OAK

vs ATL

Arian Foster

MIA

at NE

Todd Gurley

LA

vs SEA

Bruce Leroy said:

I have Williams and Ware, so I'm thinking of starting those two over Gurley (assuming Ware is healthy).  :D

While i don't own Gurley, I do own Ingram/Yeldon/AFoster/Riddick/RJennings in one league, and Ingram/DJohnson/Woodhead in another - and the only one I'd consider benching for Gurley (if I had him) would be AFoster, and only if he continues to look iffy with his hammy. 

On the other hand, if you're a believer in Gurley, this is the ideal time to buy low. Or maybe wait one more week and hope for another poor showing. If Gurley craps the bed this week, his owners will be truly panicking and will likely take a RB2-3 for him. 

Here are FBG (Dodds/Norton) rankings this week for starters in a PPR league. Gurley comes in at 18. A lot of owners would certainly own 2-3 of these RBs ranked ahead of him unless they drafted zero RB . I have Forte and Yeldon but I still may start Gruley as my flex ahead of Crabtree or Diggs(

David Johnson

ARI

vs TB

DeAngelo Williams

PIT

vs CIN

C.J. Anderson

DEN

vs IND

Lamar Miller

HOU

vs KC

Spencer Ware 

KC

at HOU

Ezekiel Elliott

DAL

at WAS

Mark Ingram

NO

at NYG

Adrian Peterson

MIN

vs GB

Matt Forte

NYJ

at BUF

T.J. Yeldon

JAX

at SD

Danny Woodhead

SD

vs JAX

LeSean McCoy

BUF

vs NYJ

DeMarco Murray

TEN

at DET

Jonathan Stewart

CAR

vs SF

Doug Martin

TB

at ARI

Latavius Murray

OAK

vs ATL

Arian Foster

MIA

at NE

Todd Gurley

LA

vs SEA

I'm shocked that RJennings isn't on that list. How does he not crack the top 18 when he is at home against a butter soft Saints run defense? He had what, 18 touches against the Cowboys and had 75 yards? 18 touches against the Saints and he's going to have 150 yards from scrimmage and likely a TD. 

FBG is seriously sleeping on the job with Jennings this week IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread