What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Rogers Official Hype Train Thread (Steelers WR) (1 Viewer)

ISUDESTROYERS

Footballguy
Just picked him up. Seems he has some nice potential with Big Ben and Antonio Brown on the outside. Seems he is a better fit [based on week #1's targets] and Sammy Coates laying a turd....not to mention TE Jesse James not lighting the world on fire. Seems like he has Emmanuel Sanders type potential.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope your right...I chose him over Tyrell Williams [the replacement for Keenan Allen] who has a nick name of Tyrell "Moss" [indicating he is a Randy Moss Clone]. Although maybe more upside....I'm in a PPR league and chose Eli Rodgers since he is a slot guy....and Williams seems like a big deep threat potential.

Thoughts?

Been on board since he started showing potential in camp.  At first as insurance in case brown got injured, now as my wr4, with brown. 

Been on board since he started showing potential in camp.  At first as insurance in case brown got injured, now as my wr4, with brown. 
So fundamentally, who do you think has greater upside : Eli Rodgers or Tyrell Williams. Interesting observation and discussion as its [perhaps anyway] not as an easy black and white answer.

Thoughts?

So fundamentally, who do you think has greater upside : Eli Rodgers or Tyrell Williams. Interesting observation and discussion as its [perhaps anyway] not as an easy black and white answer.

Thoughts?
Good question. I could have picked up Tyrell in two of my leagues but I went Tyrell on one and Rogers in another on case Rogers blows up. He certainly can be a waiver wire darling.

Good question. I could have picked up Tyrell in two of my leagues but I went Tyrell on one and Rogers in another on case Rogers blows up. He certainly can be a waiver wire darling.
It is such a hard decision to choose between the 2 receivers. On one hand...Antonio Brown will draw a lot of attention and Williams is replacing the #1WR on the Charges [in Keenan Allen] but will have Gates, Woodhead, Gordon and Travis Benjamin to keep them honest. Then...I look at who has the worst defense of the 2 teams [Charges or Steelers]. Common sense wise...who ever has the worst defense.....their respective offenses will have to throw more which means more "probability" of greater PPR points. If that is the case....then the nod goes to Tyrell Williams as [I believe] the Chargers have worse of a defense than the Steelers....but that is open to debate obviously.

Thoughts?

Tyrell Williams could absolutely prove me wrong but I went for Rogers instead.

From what I can remember, every time Keenan or someone else goes down there's a Chargers WR who flashes for a game or two never to be seen again. Again maybe Tyrell is really good and bucks the trend, but it seems like when Allen is gone Rivers just spreads it around too much for a legit WR to emerge.

Tyrell Williams could absolutely prove me wrong but I went for Rogers instead.

From what I can remember, every time Keenan or someone else goes down there's a Chargers WR who flashes for a game or two never to be seen again. Again maybe Tyrell is really good and bucks the trend, but it seems like when Allen is gone Rivers just spreads it around too much for a legit WR to emerge.
True, but I don't think Keenan ever went down this early in the season. Last season by the time he was out the Chargers were already pretty cooked and they looked lost.

To keep on track: I think Rogers could be an interesting PPR bye-week filler that could be something more. 

Let's see how he does when PIT's true #2 Wheaton is back on the field. Rogers will have some nice games but sprinkled in with duds good luck knowing when to play him.

Let's see how he does when PIT's true #2 Wheaton is back on the field. Rogers will have some nice games but sprinkled in with duds good luck knowing when to play him.
Wheaton doesn't play in the slot though. Sammie Coates takes the hit (aka won't play all that much) when Wheaton returns. 

Edit: full disclosure I have both Rogers and Wheaton on my roster 

Wheaton doesn't play in the slot though. Sammie Coates takes the hit (aka won't play all that much) when Wheaton returns. 
This is true, although could still impact targets. There's a lot of moving parts in PIT least of which is Bell's return.

This is true, although could still impact targets. There's a lot of moving parts in PIT least of which is Bell's return.
Yeah that's true. A lot of moving parts, but not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think Bell returning is going to scew targets that much. At least in week 1 we saw them play DWill pretty much how I imagine they'll play Bell. I don't think Rogers is going to be a WR1 or 2 RoS, but in PPR he has nice upside/flex/bye appeal.

Bunch of Pitt homers in my league and he was drafted. All the others groaned. They all know he was the sleeper guy. I think he's got strong WR2 2016 potential and a great dynasty guy. Like everyone says, Pitt just finds these guys. Whoever scouts Pitt WRs should be given a GM job. It's freaking insane. 

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Eli Rogers will have an "expanded role" against the Bengals in Week 2.
Rogers is coming off a productive debut against Washington (six catches, 59 yards one TD) and should be in line for even more work in Week 2. Per La Canfora, the second-year wide receiver has been OC Todd Haley's "pet project" and the Steelers believe he can be an impact player. The future is bright for Rogers but it's still early in his development. He's in play as a WR4 this week.

Source: CBS Sports

OK peeps....it got ugly with Rogers last week & Coates seemed to take a step up. What's your forecast moving forward? Is Coates the guy or Rogers? He seemed to disappear in week 2. 

Thoughts?

OK peeps....it got ugly with Rogers last week & Coates seemed to take a step up. What's your forecast moving forward? Is Coates the guy or Rogers? He seemed to disappear in week 2. 

Thoughts?
At most Rogers has value for 2 more weeks.  Once Bell comes back next week it's run, check down to Bell, mid range plays and long plays to AB, and longer plays to Coates.  Rogers is #4 at best in the pecking order.  

With Wheaton back this week, and Bell back the next, I honestly think we've seen Rogers/Coates ceiling... or at least close to it.

What are thoughts on Rogers longer term - 2017 and beyond. I have a chance to acquire him in a league where I'm rebuilding.  Not trying to make it an ACF post; suffice it to say it would cost me a guy who I have to release after this year anyway.

What are thoughts on Rogers longer term - 2017 and beyond. I have a chance to acquire him in a league where I'm rebuilding.  Not trying to make it an ACF post; suffice it to say it would cost me a guy who I have to release after this year anyway.
If the Steelers had fewer options I'd like him a lot.  As is, wr3 at best.  I sold in a deal for Jalin marshall and a nice lb upgrade. 

Sounds like he's going to play this week... any thoughts as to his impact?  Seems like Bell could monopolize the short passing game, but Haley and Ben seemed to like what Rogers brought to the table.  He's floating around out there in some leagues, I'm sure...

Sounds like he's going to play this week... any thoughts as to his impact?  Seems like Bell could monopolize the short passing game, but Haley and Ben seemed to like what Rogers brought to the table.  He's floating around out there in some leagues, I'm sure...
I don't know if or when we'll ever be able to get a handle on his ability to be a week to week consistent fantasy producer with so many options on the team but I think he's better than his box scores indicate. Week two in a tough matchup in a driving rainstorm he has a bad games against the Bengals and in week 3 he takes an early injury exit. So I think a lot of people tend to look at the box scores and conclude week one was a mirage, he was beneficiary of a lucky bounce but otherwise he's not much. But really he's played two full games, again one in tough circumstances, so trying to draw definitive conclusions from that is pretty difficult.

Weeks 9-11 are heavy bye weeks and weeks 6 and 7 he's got a great matchup and will be in what could be a massive shootout the other week. I would highly encourage picking him up, not a terrible play this week as far as I'm concerned but if nothing else let him give you a little more sample size of games. Maybe he earns your trust for the NE mathhup in week 7 or he earns your trust as a bye week filler.  Best thing going for him is his role is secure, he's the starting slot receiver and I know the coaches mentioned this week that they think he helped open things up for Brown.

Tempted to throw him out there as I'm against Roethlisberger but just as easily could be a game where AB and Bell dominate all the numbers. Think I'm in a wait and see mode here even with Coates and Wheaton out but wouldn't be surprised if he had a nice game. 

I think if Coates is out he could have a fine game, 4/50 & shot at a TD? My guess is the Phins get steamrolled and several players do well.

10 targets and 103 yards last week. Heyward Bay and Wheaton out this week. Another big week coming for Rogers?

Picked him up tonight and plan to start him this week in a 16 team league over Tavon Austin and Cam Meredith.  With Crabtree on bye I'm going for Rogers who might get zero, but who I think has a higher ceiling than my other options.  I have some bad matchups against this weeks opponent and need a home run.

I wanted to like him this week but Scandrick is a tough draw.
I read this week that slot receivers have some good success against the Cowboys, is that true? Does Scandrick always play slot?

I read this wee that slot receivers have some good success against the Cowboys, is that true? Does Scandrick always play slot?
One of the worst at defending the slot. The problem may be limited possessions as Dallas has done well at controlling the clock.

I read this wee that slot receivers have some good success against the Cowboys, is that true? Does Scandrick always play slot?
Scandrick has only played in 4 games and they have faced some good slot WR's so hard to draw sample sized on that limited data so I revert scope of Scandricks career where he's been one of the best slot corners.

So Eli???? Could have a good game? I guess it's hard to predict on this one. I am just torn to start him or play Bibbs. Thanks

Part of why I like Rogers this week is the over and under is pretty high and many are expecting a shootout.  It may not happen that way but I'm in a bad situation and going with the percentages.  Not sure what to make of Bibbs.  I don't expect him to get a lot of touches but anyone can break one against NO defense.

I like him in a PPR -- they need a third weapon with Brown and Bell, and Rogers has stepped up so far when given his opportunity the last few games.

Starting him this week over the likes of

J. Matthews , A. Hurns, and Crowell in 2 different leagues. 

Both are .5 ppr

What are everyones thoughts on Rogers this week? Jimmy Smith out for the Ravens. Green and Coates doubtful. DHB may not play either. Looks like the Steelers will be rolling with Brown, Rogers, Hamilton and TE James. I have Rogers across many leagues. Looks like a real opportunity here. 

What are everyones thoughts on Rogers this week? Jimmy Smith out for the Ravens. Green and Coates doubtful. DHB may not play either. Looks like the Steelers will be rolling with Brown, Rogers, Hamilton and TE James. I have Rogers across many leagues. Looks like a real opportunity here. 
Very tempted to roll him.  He's in with flotsam like Gabriel, Anderson, hogan, inman, mike Thomas  or tevin Coleman for me. Not loving any of their matchups but besides Inman. I'm just scared of a ravens steelers 16-13 special and a slog on offense. 

Tempted as well with no Coates, no Green, no Jimmy Smith and a good run D. I was all set to go with Watkins but nobody seems to be too high on him this week.  

With the game in Pittsburgh don't you think it could be a 31-27 game instead of 16-13 this time around?   I know those 4 TDs could be all Bell and Brown but still...

I'm starting him over the likes of Marshall, Floyd and Boldin (alongside Watkins and Adams).

I've been rolling all year without much in the way of receivers, so not a huge risk.  Just like the match-up for the semifinals this weekend.

eddiezz74 said:
Tempted as well with no Coates, no Green, no Jimmy Smith and a good run D. I was all set to go with Watkins but nobody seems to be too high on him this week.  
I realized again recently - screw the "experts" and their rankings of players. They COMPLETELY blew it on Ty Montgomery last week. NOBODY ranked him very high even though he received a ton of touches. I knew he could get those touches, but because no "experts" had him ranked very high, I decided not to start him. That one decision could keep me from winning $100,000.

I see the same situation with Eli Rogers this week. Not a single "expert" will rank him decently. But, for the factors you identify, he showed last week he likely will be used a good amount. Two other important factors to consider 1) Baltimore has struggled against slot WRs. 2) A. Brown stated Baltimore was throwing THREE guys at him last game. I would expect the same today, leaving Rogers as one of the next targets in the progression for Roethlisberger.

Users who are viewing this thread