What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One religion that promotes more "peace/unity" among humans? (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
 Is there one (or two or three -- no need for fighting) that stand above the rest in their teachings for love, respect and peace among each other?

You don't need religion to learn/teach these things.

Why are you asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be some that promote peace, but then all the nuts from other religions will get pissed and start a war with them anyway. Best not to have any, period. 

Check out the Bahá'í Faith.
It's a progressive form of Islam but still flawed:

Laws

Main article: Bahá'í laws

The laws of the Bahá'í Faith primarily come from the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, written by Bahá'u'lláh.[87] The following are a few examples of basic laws and religious observances.

• Prayer in the Bahá'í Faith consists of obligatory prayer and devotional (general) prayer. Bahá'ís over the age of 15 must individually recite an obligatory prayer each day, using fixed words and form. In addition to the daily obligatory prayer, believers are directed to daily offer devotional prayer and to meditate and study sacred scripture. There is no set form for devotions and meditations, though the devotional prayers written by the central figures of the Bahá'í Faith and collected in prayer books are held in high esteem. Reading aloud of prayers from prayer books is a typical feature of Bahá'í gatherings.
  • Backbiting and gossip are prohibited and denounced.
  • Adult Bahá'ís in good health should observe a nineteen-day sunrise-to-sunset fast each year from 2 March through 20 March.
  • Bahá'ís are forbidden to drink alcohol or to take drugs, unless prescribed by doctors.
  • Sexual intercourse is only permitted between a husband and wife, and thus premarital, extramarital, and homosexual intercourse are forbidden. (See also Homosexuality and the Bahá'í Faith)
  • Gambling is forbidden.
  • Fanaticism is forbidden.
  • Adherence to ritual is discouraged, with the notable exception of the obligatory prayers.
  • Abstaining from partisan politics is required.
While some of the laws from the Kitáb-i-Aqdas are applicable at the present time and may be enforced to a degree by the administrative institutions,[88] Bahá'u'lláh has provided for the progressive application of other laws that are dependent upon the existence of a predominantly Bahá'í society. The laws, when not in direct conflict with the civil laws of the country of residence, are binding on every Bahá'í,[89] and the observance of personal laws, such as prayer or fasting, is the sole responsibility of the individual.[87][90]

Ethics of Jainism:

Jain Ethics and Five Main Vows

Main article: Ethics of Jainism
See also: Yamas § Five Yamas

Jain emblem and the "Five Vows"

Jainism encourages spiritual development through cultivation of personal wisdom and self-control through five main vows:[29]

1. Ahimsa: Ahimsa means nonviolence or non-injury. The first major vow taken by Jains is to love and cause no harm to other living beings. It involves minimizing intentional and unintentional harm to other living creatures by actions, speech or thoughts. The vow of ahiṃsā is considered the foremost among the 'five vows of Jainism'.[30]

2. Satya: Satya means truth. This vow is to always speak the truth. Given that nonviolence has priority, other principles yield to it whenever they conflict: in a situation where speaking truth could lead to violence, silence may be observed.[29]

3. Asteya: Asteya means not stealing. Jains should not take anything that is not willingly offered.[29] The five transgression of this vow as mentioned in the Tattvārthsūtra are: "Prompting another to steal, receiving stolen goods, underbuying in a disordered state, using false weights and measures, and deceiving others with artificial or imitation goods".[31]

4. Brahmacharya: Brahmacharya means chastity for laymen and celibacy for Jain monks and nuns. This requires the exercise of control over the senses to control indulgence in sexual activity.[32]

5. Aparigraha: Aparigraha means non-possessiveness. This includes non-materialism and non-attachment to objects, places and people.[29] Jain monks and nuns completely renounce property and social relations.

Monks and nuns are obligated to practice the five cardinal principles of nonviolence, truthfulness, not stealing, celibacy, and non-possessiveness very strictly, while laymen are encouraged to observe them within their current practical limitations.[29]

Supplementary vows and sallekhana

Jainism also prescribes seven supplementary vows and a last sallekhana vow, which is practiced mostly by monks and nuns. The supplementary vows include three guņa vratas (merit vows) and four śikşā vratas.[33][34] The sallekhana (or Santhara) vow is observed at the end of life most commonly by Jain monks and nuns. In this vow, there is voluntary and gradual reduction of food and liquid intake under some conditions.[35] These condition are:[36]

• Severe famine
  • Incurable disease
  • Great disability
  • Old age or when a person is nearing his end.
Sallekhana is seen as spiritual detachment requiring a great deal of spiritual accomplishment and maturity and a declaration that a person is finished with this world and has chosen to leave.[37] Jains believe this allows one to achieve death with dignity and dispassion along with a great reduction of negative karma.[38]

Like a gd bat signal
I made a simple statement that is in fact 100% true.  

I then followed it up with a question to better understand what he is after. :shrug:

What am I missing?

eta - That he has to ask the question implies to me that religion has not been the answer for him thus far. :yes:

Is there one (or two or three -- no need for fighting) that stand above the rest in their teachings for love, respect and peace among each other?

You don't need religion to learn/teach these things.

Why are you asking?
He asked if there is a religion that stands above the rest in teaching love, respect and peace.  Actual answers to that question are "yes, religion x", or "no, they are mostly the same."  You assumed that he asked because he needed to learn those things.  He didn't ask "how do I learn/teach love, etc."  Then you doubled down on a bad assumption by rejecting the premise (that he never stated) that religion is needed to learn them.

Christianity- in particular Catholicism.  Here are the 8 Beatitudes (called this by the Catholic Church) which unfortunately even many of us Christians and particularly politicians(Christian) have a hard time observing

Matthew 5:3-10 describes Jesus' famous Sermon on the Mount, which contained what are known as the Beatitudes. Jesus said:

• Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  • Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
  • Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
  • Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
  • Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
  • Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
  • Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
  • Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
In the above passage Jesus promises us happiness. In fact the word "blessed" means "happy." The Beatitudes are at the core of Christ's teaching. They fulfill the promise made to the Jewish people by pointing beyond earthly happiness to the eternal happiness of heaven. The reward promised in each of the Beatitudes is primarily heaven.

The Beatitudes reveal the goal of human existence, the ultimate purpose of human acts; God calls us to his own beatitude. This vocation is addressed to each individual personally, but also to the Church as a whole, the new people made up of those who have accepted the promise and live from it in faith - CCC 1719.

If we live according to this plan of Christ we shall have a foretaste of the happiness of heaven in this life. Christ tells us that we will be happy by doing for his sake the very things which we may think will make us unhappy. Christ tells us that we must not set our hearts on money, whereas many people appear to want even more money than they already have. Christ tells us that we must forgive our enemies and love them, whereas many people seem to want to "get even with" or at least avoid those who hurt them. Christ tells us that we must avoid all sin, that we must be willing to take a lower place, that we must suffer for him, etc. These are conditions which might seem to make us unhappy, but the Lord's words tell us otherwise.

Christianity- in particular Catholicism.  Here are the 8 Beatitudes (called this by the Catholic Church) which unfortunately even many of us Christians and particularly politicians(Christian) have a hard time observing

Matthew 5:3-10 describes Jesus' famous Sermon on the Mount, which contained what are known as the Beatitudes. Jesus said:

• Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  • Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
  • Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
  • Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
  • Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
  • Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
  • Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
  • Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
In the above passage Jesus promises us happiness. In fact the word "blessed" means "happy." The Beatitudes are at the core of Christ's teaching. They fulfill the promise made to the Jewish people by pointing beyond earthly happiness to the eternal happiness of heaven. The reward promised in each of the Beatitudes is primarily heaven.

The Beatitudes reveal the goal of human existence, the ultimate purpose of human acts; God calls us to his own beatitude. This vocation is addressed to each individual personally, but also to the Church as a whole, the new people made up of those who have accepted the promise and live from it in faith - CCC 1719.

If we live according to this plan of Christ we shall have a foretaste of the happiness of heaven in this life. Christ tells us that we will be happy by doing for his sake the very things which we may think will make us unhappy. Christ tells us that we must not set our hearts on money, whereas many people appear to want even more money than they already have. Christ tells us that we must forgive our enemies and love them, whereas many people seem to want to "get even with" or at least avoid those who hurt them. Christ tells us that we must avoid all sin, that we must be willing to take a lower place, that we must suffer for him, etc. These are conditions which might seem to make us unhappy, but the Lord's words tell us otherwise.
You forgot the Cheesemakers.  Blessed are the Cheesemakers.

BigSteelThrill said:
It's called being agnostic. Everyone is just guessing based on what they have been brainwashed into. No one knows the answer and that is the only fact when it comes to religion.

Thorn said:
He asked if there is a religion that stands above the rest in teaching love, respect and peace.  Actual answers to that question are "yes, religion x", or "no, they are mostly the same."  You assumed that he asked because he needed to learn those things.  He didn't ask "how do I learn/teach love, etc."  Then you doubled down on a bad assumption by rejecting the premise (that he never stated) that religion is needed to learn them.
I offered my opinion, and asked further to better understand.  Feel free to ignore me if my posting bothers you this much.   :thumbup:

Nor does it change my response - religion isn't necessary to do any of the above.

Sorry you don't like what I have to say... but there it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism

Being close enough to the Sikh culture in this area that I was a "groomsman" in a large Sikh wedding, I'll say that they are, generally speaking, awesome people. Very cool/accepting/tolerant faith that is basically about not being an ####### and work toward the greater good of humanity. They're also not egotistical enough to think they have a monopoly on being "right" about faith. 

wikkidpissah said:
Jesus thought there was.
Matthew 10:34   "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. "

BigSteelThrill said:
I hear Islam is a religion of peace, especially if you're a female or gay

I offered my opinion, and asked further to better understand.  Feel free to ignore me if my posting bothers you this much.   :thumbup:

Nor does it change my response - religion isn't necessary to do any of the above.

You offered your opinion on a question that wasn't asked.  You have a tedious need to express your opinion about religion when it is not relevant.  

And don't apologize for what you have to say, I actually agree with it.  Apologize for the way you try to shoehorn it in all the time where it doesn't belong, or better yet, stop doing it.

OP:  Who is the best NFL team?

matuski:  Football isn't necessary.

:popcorn:

You offered your opinion on a question that wasn't asked.  You have a tedious need to express your opinion about religion when it is not relevant.  

And don't apologize for what you have to say, I actually agree with it.  Apologize for the way you try to shoehorn it in all the time where it doesn't belong, or better yet, stop doing it.
You seem to have a tedious need to express how you don't like my posts.. ignore button is over there.  Let it go.

I am not apologizing for my opinions.  If I misunderstood the OP, I do apologize to the extent that warrants (not much).

I like the irony of the staunchly unreligious guy having a martyr complex.

No one hates you, no one is so upset by you that they need to ignore you, it's just annoying that you beat this "religion is illogical" drum so constantly.

I made a simple statement that is in fact 100% true.  

I then followed it up with a question to better understand what he is after. :shrug:

What am I missing?

eta - That he has to ask the question implies to me that religion has not been the answer for him thus far. :yes:
Except I never said it is needed to teach these things/concepts. You did.

Except I never said it is needed to teach these things/concepts. You did.
Thus the question to better understand.  And the apology for any misunderstanding.

But to repeat.. you can stand above all the rest with regard to love, respect, and peace without religion.  Get rid of the middleman. :thumbup:  

Could you please do us the courtesy of informing us when there is an appropriate thread in which to post our religious opinions? 

Users who are viewing this thread