What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car guys....a little help please (dragging metal sound) (1 Viewer)

JoeSteeler

Footballguy
Would appreciate any feedback (serious or otherwise)...

Was driving home  yesterday in my 1998 Prelude and out of nowhere heard a sound like my exhaust was dragging on the ground as I was driving. Was very close to my house so just pulled in and looked under the car expecting to see my exhaust hanging down. Nothing hanging down.

Started the car and let it idle...no noise. backed to the end of my driveway and same "metal dragging" noise. Looked again under my car (it was dark and I was using a flashlight) just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Again Nothing hanging down.

I figure it must have something to do with a wheel/bearing/axle.

Any input would be appreciated!

WHIR

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a loose heat shield somewhere on the exhaust or underbody or possibly an internal baffle in the muffler broke loose (basically it's a metal plate with someone holes in it that hold the internal pipes in place and often times just spot welded to the inner shell)

Or something completely different 

Prelude huh?  :oldschool:. 
looks like this

brought it off my GF's brother back in 2009 for just $500. had 104,000 when I got it and now has 170,000. Planning on driving it one more winter and then go with something newer in the spring. Has been a great car. The only major repair I had done is the stater. Still has the original clutch afaik.

Could be a loose heat shield somewhere on the exhaust or underbody or possibly an internal baffle in the muffler broke loose (basically it's a metal plate with someone holes in it that hold the internal pipes in place and often times just spot welded to the inner shell)

Or something completely different 
Thanks for the reply....actually a guy I work with suggested the heat shield as well. 

Yep classic brake problem sound. 

And if you say you just changed them recently,  there is also a chance you have something on the rotor  like dirt. If this is the case, take it up to about 30 miles an hour,  slam on the brakes and it should clean the rotor of any debris. 

Otherwise it is time to change your brakes and you should be able to do that in no time with limited tools. 

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the plastic (yes I know they're not metal) shrouds in the wheel wells? Since it's a '98, and if it doesn't start to make the sound until it gets warmed up, maybe it's the hub bearings. Most likely, its the previously mentioned break squealers.

Thanks guys.

It doesn't sound like brake squealers though...it sounds exactly like my exhaust is dragging on the road.

Thanks guys.

It doesn't sound like brake squealers though...it sounds exactly like my exhaust is dragging on the road.
If your rotors are warped or something got caught in them (or the calipers are stuck) it could also sound like metal scrapping sound (not necessarily squealing).

Also, @SWC may have some good suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Brakes will not squeal if they are down far enough. It will be more of a metal on metal sound that sounds like something is dragging. If it is brakes, you will more than likely need new rotors as well because they are being cut into by what is left of your brake pads.

Brakes will not squeal if they are down far enough. It will be more of a metal on metal sound that sounds like something is dragging. If it is brakes, you will more than likely need new rotors as well because they are being cut into by what is left of your brake pads.
i investigated further and now think it is the rear passenger side brake. 

Users who are viewing this thread