What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gas Pipeline rupture in Alabama threatens fuel shortages across eastern US (1 Viewer)

Van Dyman

Footballguy
Well, crap.  Everyone here (Nashville suburb) freaked out and ran to the pumps now we're out of gas, at least temporarily.  I'm kinda :rolleyes:  at the "state of emergency" stuff.  We'll see.

Link

An interstate gasoline pipeline has ruptured in central Alabama, spilling 338,000 gallons of fuel in an ecologically sensitive area and threatening fuel shortages across the eastern US. So far governors in Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina have declared states of emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Filled up yesterday but this stuff never amounts to much as far as gas prices go.  Leave it up to the idiots to rush the gas stations 

This is why gas prices should rise quickly in an "emergency", so it's left for those who actually need it.

There's no gas anywhere where I live. At this point it's more of an annoyance than anything.  But hopefully gas stations around Nash will start getting fuel soon...

I almost ran out of gas this morning in Nashville. Was lucky enough to find one station that had premium left at least. 

spilling 338,000 gallons of fuel in an ecologically sensitive area
Yeah, reading the lead in you'd never realize there's been almost no ecological impact.

experts say the line’s owner, Colonial Pipeline, was extraordinarily lucky: the spill happened 500ft from the retention pond for a mining company, and all the fuel flowed into it. That spared the Cahaba river system, one of the most biologically diverse spots in the country, prized by scientists for its concentration of endangered species.

“Yeah,” said James Pinkney, a spokesman for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). He gave a wry laugh. “You really couldn’t have planned it any better than this. There are no homes nearby, and it’s fully contained. It’s so fortunate.”

The fuel could have flowed all the way to Mobile Bay on the gulf coast, bringing destruction for hundreds of miles. “Along the way it would have impacted all the wildlife living in it and drinking from it,” said Myra Crawford, executive director at Cahaba Riverkeeper, an outfit that monitors the ecological integrity of the watershed. “And plants like the Cahaba lilies – this is one of the only remaining sites where they are found. It could have been so destructive.”

Instead, she said, environmental workers have only found a few animals killed by exposure to the fuel. “A few raccoons,” she said. “It’s absolutely minimal. A miracle.”

Ooooh, I'm going to fill up some 30 gallon trash cans with gas, throw them in the back of the mini van and head down to the state line....easy money!

I'm kinda :rolleyes:  at the "state of emergency" stuff.  
Not sure about Tennessee -- but according to ABCNews.com, the governor of North Carolina declared a 'state of emergency' strictly to invoke anti-gouging laws that keep local gasoline prices stable. I know something similar happens here in Louisiana during and after named storms.

One potential issue is that some people on Facebook are posting as if this is a national, long-lasting fuel shortage. So I'm curious to see if there are or are going to be "copycat" fuel outages in other parts of the country.

VA declared a State of Emergency yesterday. I'm not sure how necessary it is, especially for the northern part of VA. But I figure by doing so, it gives the Governor flexibility in case he needs it, should anything well out of the ordinary happen.

Mr. Ected said:
VA declared a State of Emergency yesterday. I'm not sure how necessary it is, especially for the northern part of VA. But I figure by doing so, it gives the Governor flexibility in case he needs it, should anything well out of the ordinary happen.
It's also fun to call a State of Emergency.

Mr. Ected said:
It's also fun to call a State of Emergency.
Not only that, since you can't run for re-election as Governor, so you need to grab the opportunity when you can!

Ft. Mill, SC running out of gas and folks doing stupid #### like filling up everything they can get their hands on. It's a pain in the neck no doubt, hope it doesn't last too long. Filled up on Friday for $1.81/gal as I noticed the price ticking up around here. Actually got one of these right for a change, was riding on fumes.

Sounds like they got lucky on the environmental impact.  Most of the fuel went into a retention pond. :thumbup:

I drove by one place and all the pumps were 5 deep with cars, drove by another place that wasn't crowded but it was $2.92 a gallon. Kept driving, the Texaco and BP stations near my house both ran out of gas. I then ran out of gas about two blocks from my house and a neighbor helped me push it home. There aren't any stations around here that have gas and I have #### to do tomorrow. :shrug:  
[dadrant]Don't wait until the light comes on to fill up[/dadrant] :shrug: :P

I filled up this morning (usually fill up sunday night / monday am) for the week. Sticker shock city! was $1.89 last week... $2.15  today

Users who are viewing this thread