What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (7 Viewers)

I don’t think he can hold up running this much. He was taking hits last night. I mean just getting regular tackled by a 275 lbs linebacker is rough on a QB. He’s not a Cam Newton sized guy and look at Cam now. His body seems to be breaking down. Just a hard way to earn a living as a QB I think. And yes, one giant hit away from catastrophe.
What NFL player isn’t one giant hit away from catastrophe? 

I doubt there are any if any 275 pound LBs.  

Jackson is 216, he’s not Cam but he’s not tiny either. If he played RB would be people be panicking that he’s on pace for 200 carries? No they would be saying he needs to run more.

If you added up all the QB hits taken last night, do you think Lamar absorbed that many more than Brady? The goal line run was tough and I remember him taking one other big hit from a LB, but he was hardly touched in the pocket and Brady took almost as many big shots as Lamar. 
I think I disagree a bit here. The shots a Qb like Brady takes in the pocket where a defender can’t go low or high or land with his weight on him and is usually trying to lay a hit a moment after shedding a lineman so they have less momentum are just vastly different than when Lamar takes on a LB head on in traffic. There were a couple very specific plays where usually Lamar would get down or scamper towards the sideline but instead took on the defense and absorbed hard blows. Generally he doesn’t do that and it should help his longevity. I agree it’s vastly different from Cam who constantly sought contact.

LJ is Mike Vick on Steroids ..... All the Legs and Cannon arm with accuracy (unlike Vick) 

His ability to stop on a dime and accelerate/cut is insane 

Last edited by a moderator:
LJ is Mike Vick on Steroids ..... All the Legs and Cannon arm with accuracy (unlike Vick) 

His ability to stop on a dime and accelerate/cut is insane 
Jackson does not have anywhere close to the arm that Vick had and his accuracy isn't that much different than Vicks.  They are both fairly erratic. 

What NFL player isn’t one giant hit away from catastrophe? 

I doubt there are any if any 275 pound LBs.  

Jackson is 216, he’s not Cam but he’s not tiny either. If he played RB would be people be panicking that he’s on pace for 200 carries? No they would be saying he needs to run more.
Exactly.  QB's take big hits all the time.  When he's running with it he is a lot less likely to get surprised and is a lot more able to protect the critical parts than the guys getting drilled in the face with a helmet or getting their knees rolled up on all the time.

He'll run around. Win some games early as against other weak teams and then DCs will remember how to play defense against that. Usually takes 6 games before a good DC game plans to stop the running and forces him to pass. Or of course he gets broken in 2 since he's only 205 lbs. Then it all falls apart. Then the GM gets fired and they start over.

So what dummy GM takes this guy? 
Borderline HOF GM Ozzie Newsome? 

Only potential landmine left on the schedule is SF in week 13. Even there not sure I could sit him.

Every other matchup looks good. Even @BUF week 14. Buffalo having a lot of problems stopping the run.

The Vick comparisons don't make a lot of sense.. As a 22-year-old, Lamar has a career completion percentage of 62% after 15 starts, and is completing 64% this year. Vick's career percentage was 56%. Vick's career QB rating was 80.4. Lamar's is 90.9, and 95.4 this year. He's already a better passing QB than Vick was, despite not having nearly as strong an arm.

Putting running aside for a minute, who's a QB that's similar to Lamar as a throwing QB? Decent accuracy, not the strongest arm in the world, does a pretty good job of limiting bad decisions. 

I'm thinking he might be Chad Pennington. If Chad Pennington could also have happened to run like Gale Sayers. A middle of the pack QB like Pennington who also rushes for 1,300 yards is not the worst thing to be.

If not Pennington, who's another passer Lamar reminds you of?

My opponent this week picked up Sam Darnold and is benching Jackson against the patriots.

personally, I would never do that. I would roll out Jaxson and see how he goes even against a very good defense. at the very least, he should generate points with his legs.

but yeah, this is a guy who has won my league before and is definitely not a bad fantasy manager. 

I know New England is good, but are they really that good?
did he change his mind?   I hope you beat him because of it.    Never ever bench this guy, and be thankful if you got him!

The Vick comparisons don't make a lot of sense.. As a 22-year-old, Lamar has a career completion percentage of 62% after 15 starts, and is completing 64% this year. Vick's career percentage was 56%. Vick's career QB rating was 80.4. Lamar's is 90.9, and 95.4 this year. He's already a better passing QB than Vick was, despite not having nearly as strong an arm.

Putting running aside for a minute, who's a QB that's similar to Lamar as a throwing QB? Decent accuracy, not the strongest arm in the world, does a pretty good job of limiting bad decisions. 

I'm thinking he might be Chad Pennington. If Chad Pennington could also have happened to run like Gale Sayers. A middle of the pack QB like Pennington who also rushes for 1,300 yards is not the worst thing to be.

If not Pennington, who's another passer Lamar reminds you of?
I think Jackson has much better arm strength than Pennington ever had.

He is more efficient than most of the QB I might compare him to but not as efficient as DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson were as passers in their young careers.

He is on pace for 476 attempts 306 completions 3626 yards 24 TD 10 interceptions.

This isn't that far off from DeShaun Watsons second season of 505 attempts 345 completions 4165 yards 26 TD 9 interceptions.

The main difference is a higher completion percentage and adjusted yards per attempt being better for Watson than what Jackson has been doing so far.

Watson had Hopkins to work with. I am not exactly seeing a weapon like this on the Ravens right now.

I think he can be as good as Watson as a passer while also being a better runner. He has improved tremendously from what he did as a rookie.

I think Jackson has much better arm strength than Pennington ever had.

I think he can be as good as Watson as a passer while also being a better runner. He has improved tremendously from what he did as a rookie.
As a Ravens fan, I hope you’re right but I do think people give him credit for more arm strength than he actually has. For example, throwing an out route to the boundary from the far hash is not in his repertoire. 

As a Ravens fan, I hope you’re right but I do think people give him credit for more arm strength than he actually has. For example, throwing an out route to the boundary from the far hash is not in his repertoire. 
You have surely seen more of him than I have. I take your word for it.

Part of that could just be mechanics or something he improves on still.

Give it time. I've seen this type of post many times. Vince Young, David Carr, Tebow, Bob Griffin and the latest....Winston. I came out victorious on all of them.
Most of them were all were incredibly valuable at some point in fantasy.  How can you victory lap on Winston?  If you bought him as a rookie in dynasty he has put up huge numbers.  You know this isn't REAL football right?  His bone-headed plays haven't kept him from scoring tons of points.

30 against a team that played the weakest schedule of all time.

I think we all knew about Lamar Jackson... Patriots defense being middle of the road is probably surprising to some.
I'm new to this debate.  You missed out on him, didn't you?

The_Man said:
Friend in Louisville says thousands of fans are heading 90 minutes up the road on Sunday to cheer for Lamar in Cincy 
Louisville dude here. In a sense, we are lucky to not have pro teams of our own, as it lets us choose to root for the teams that our favorite alumni join.

When Teddy B was drafted by MN, I switched from the Oilers/Titans (fan since Earl Campbell) to the Vikings. While I still lov the Norsemen (Cook dyno owner), I am now a solid Ravens fans. 

Unfortunately, I can't make the trip this week. At least we get good TV coverage here - I guess someone knows we are a good market for Balt now.

Oh, I got LJ in my dynasty too - late 2nd round rookie draft. 😎

Louisville dude here. In a sense, we are lucky to not have pro teams of our own, as it lets us choose to root for the teams that our favorite alumni join.

When Teddy B was drafted by MN, I switched from the Oilers/Titans (fan since Earl Campbell) to the Vikings. While I still lov the Norsemen (Cook dyno owner), I am now a solid Ravens fans. 

Unfortunately, I can't make the trip this week. At least we get good TV coverage here - I guess someone knows we are a good market for Balt now.

Oh, I got LJ in my dynasty too - late 2nd round rookie draft. 😎
Not a Saints fan?

Not a Saints fan?
I absolutely luvs @SaintsInDome2006🤩

Oh - the team?

Yeah - I like them too, but when Teddy B got injured, missed time and then eventually traded to a backup position in NO in '18, LJ was drafted by Balt the same year. The way that the Ravens revamped everything to fit him just blew me away. Also, I cannot deny that his initial success has been intoxicating enough that he has become my #1 player - think I need a jersey now.

That said, I am pumped over how well TB did during his time filling in for Brees. I was worried that he may have lost his window for success. Now, when/if he eventually gets the starting role, I am sure I will become an even bigger fan.

Plus, NO is a hella city to visit for a game. Have they scheduled any games during Mardi Gras yet? I could really go fer that!

I absolutely luvs @SaintsInDome2006🤩

Oh - the team?

Yeah - I like them too, but when Teddy B got injured, missed time and then eventually traded to a backup position in NO in '18, LJ was drafted by Balt the same year. The way that the Ravens revamped everything to fit him just blew me away. Also, I cannot deny that his initial success has been intoxicating enough that he has become my #1 player - think I need a jersey now.

That said, I am pumped over how well TB did during his time filling in for Brees. I was worried that he may have lost his window for success. Now, when/if he eventually gets the starting role, I am sure I will become an even bigger fan.

Plus, NO is a hella city to visit for a game. Have they scheduled any games during Mardi Gras yet? I could really go fer that!
No games, but hopefully a Super Bowl parade.

Teddy won over the city. Dude’s a backup and they were chanting his name in the Dome. Tears-inducing.

Lamar just had weekly media availability.

On being named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this year: "That's pretty dope, but I'm just trying to win." 

On suddenly getting lots of national media attention and talk about possibly being MVP: "If I'm watching TV and that comes on, I'm gonna turn the channel."

Lamar Jackson was absent from Thursday's practice.

Jackson was not on Wednesday's injury report. The assembled media would likely know if it were a rest day. It's possible Jackson is away from the team on personal business. His status will be updated later Thursday. For now, there is no reason to panic in fantasy.

Source: https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1192512815879380992

Word in Baltimore is that it's the same illness Yanda caught from his kids that kept him out of practice yesterday - doesn't seem too serious 

Word in Baltimore is that it's the same illness Yanda caught from his kids that kept him out of practice yesterday - doesn't seem too serious 
I read the lockers are next to each-other.  Lamar deserves a sick day after that W last week.  Hopefully he's back and ready to roll tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread