Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
massraider

[DYNASTY] Lamar Jackson, MVP, Madden Cover. Hopefully Develops as a Passer

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Why does one have to be labled a "hater" just because they don't think he played well? If you are watching box scores, yeah he was amazing. If you dissect them further and if you actually watched the game, that wasnt the MVP out there 

 

in the end, this should fall on Harbaugh. He didnt adjust to what the Titans were doing at all

Because when you have a different opinion than someone some most people are too dumb, too lazy or both to understand. It’s frustrating. “Hater” and “triggered” are two of the worst words ever used.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be foolish to discount the future of a QB who won MVP in his second season and first full season starting who just turned 23 a few days ago. But that is more from an NFL perspective than a fantasy perspective.

I think it is highly unlikely he will come close to the rushing yardage he posted this year in any future season, mainly driven by my belief that if he continues running 12+ times per game in future seasons, it is inevitable he will sustain injuries and miss games... and I expect his coaches to scale back the volume on that in favor of a combination of (a) more passing (he averaged fewer than 27 pass attempts per game this season) as he gets better at it and likely gets WR help, and (b) letting the RBs carry the majority of the running game (Jackson had ~30% of the team's rushing attempts this season).

I also think it is unlikely he will ever hit a 9.0 TD percentage or 36 passing TDs again. Somewhat surprisingly, there are only 35 instances in NFL history in which a QB passed for 36+ TDs.

Going forward, IMO it is likely that Jackson's pass attempts and pass yardage go up, pass TDs come down, interceptions go up, and rushing attempts and yards come down. As a fantasy QB, it is pretty likely that he just had his career season. If you can get someone in your dynasty league to pay a super high price, it might not be a bad idea to sell. Note, I'm not saying he won't be a top 10 QB, just saying I doubt he will be consistently top 5, much less #1 by a huge margin like he was this year.

I don't say that to "hate" on Jackson, just being realistic.

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Todem said:

Disagree. The Ravens were outcoached.....badly. Also they looked sluggish and rusty. Also....coaching. Incredible over reaction. 

They ran into what is right now the hottest team in the playoffs. It happens. 

Your takes are kinda laughable right now. They really are.

Please don't call other posters takes here laughable. I know that's tame but we're trying to have a board where we're excellent to each other. 

Disagree and state why and then discuss. It's a much better way to get good discussion I think. Thanks. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

It would be foolish to discount the future of a QB who won MVP in his second season and first full season starting who just turned 23 a few days ago. But that is more from an NFL perspective than a fantasy perspective.

I think it is highly unlikely he will come close to the rushing yardage he posted this year in any future season, mainly driven by my belief that if he continues running 12+ times per game in future seasons, it is inevitable he will sustain injuries and miss games... and I expect his coaches to scale back the volume on that in favor of a combination of (a) more passing (he averaged fewer than 27 pass attempts per game this season) as he gets better at it and likely gets WR help, and (b) letting the RBs carry the majority of the running game (Jackson had ~30% of the team's rushing attempts this season).

I also think it is unlikely he will ever hit a 9.0 TD percentage or 36 passing TDs again. Somewhat surprisingly, there are only 35 instances in NFL history in which a QB passed for 36+ TDs.

Going forward, IMO it is likely that Jackson's pass attempts and pass yardage go up, pass TDs come down, interceptions go up, and rushing attempts and yards come down. As a fantasy QB, it is pretty likely that he just had his career season. If you can get someone in your dynasty league to pay a super high price, it might not be a bad idea to sell. Note, I'm not saying he won't be a top 10 QB, just saying I doubt he will be consistently top 5, much less #1 by a huge margin like he was this year.

I don't say that to "hate" on Jackson, just being realistic.

I agree. I think they should just be more purposeful with his legs. He doesn't need to be the first and second down rusher. Maybe they use them for a key first, definitely for a TD, but let the backs do the hard work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to be a hater to disagree, but when you hear comments about "novelty offense" after a QB in his 2nd year loses in the playoffs, yeah I get the responses. You have people coming out of the woodworks acting like Lamar is a glorified WR again and saying he shouldn't be the MVP in other threads, it's amazing. This loss doesn't diminish what he accomplished in the regular season, nor should it be a roadblock for him. He just needs to do work in the offseason like he did last year and who knows, maybe they make the Superbowl next year.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league will adapt and he will regress. See Mahomes. 

Doesn’t mean he won’t still be great and the Ravens will keep contending. But there are a few great young QBs in the AFC with similar potential. 

The Ravens wasted this opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I do like Mahomes. Watson is fun to watch as he's so unpredictable- makes some awful plays and then bails out. However, there offense is pretty lame without Fuller. It is tough to watch Nuk do nothing but run 5 yard outs while Watson runs around in circles in the backfield.  I love Wilson but the Seahawks play like they think he's a weakness. Their ideal gameplan is to run the ball 40 times with Lynch and Homer to win 13-7. I feel great about Tannehill's resurgence but they don't tend to play the most exciting brand of football. San Fran is fine. It is creative how some times they give it to Mostert and sometimes they give it to Tevin Coleman. Kittle and Bosa are worth tuning in for though. 

well hello Mr. Sunshine

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chinawildman said:

I'd hedge my bets here. Historically running QBs in novelty offenses are like bubble stocks, they peak early and look unstoppable but typically fade over time. Statistically speaking, it's usually a sell high. In the case of the ravens, the Titans ran EXACTLY the same defense teams used to stop Roman/Kaepernick and it worked so it's not like this is anything new.

There is a defensive formula to containing this offense, but it takes the right personnel to do it. Most teams don’t have that personnel or discipline. I don’t think it’s as easy as, “just do XYZ and it makes the stops this offense”. Heck, Jackson had 500+ yards of offense last night. They moved the ball just fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

Uh, no. Yanda isn't close to a HOFer.

If he isn’t a HOFer it’s only because the people who write about the NFL and vote on the HOF simply don’t care about guards. Yanda was dominant for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he’s great, maybe he’s overrated, maybe he just had a bad game, maybe he’ll never be great. I’m not a good enough QB evaluator to judge.

But when I hear stuff like “mental ineptitude” that sounds like racism to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

There is a defensive formula to containing this offense, but it takes the right personnel to do it. Most teams don’t have that personnel or discipline. I don’t think it’s as easy as, “just do XYZ and it makes the stops this offense”. Heck, Jackson had 500+ yards of offense last night. They moved the ball just fine.

Yea but the defensive formula is a bend but don't break philosophy so the team will get their yds. And I think discipline is much more important than personnel when trying to contain the RPO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

well hello Mr. Sunshine

NFL isn’t that great of a product right now imo. Without fantasy, I doubt I would watch many games. All the penalties and replays and commercials are ridiculous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I never said that 

That's nice. They aren't drafting a RB in round 1, it makes zero sense, but I won't waste any more time trying to convince you otherwise (especially in this thread).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

Yea but the defensive formula is a bend but don't break philosophy so the team will get their yds. And I think discipline is much more important than personnel when trying to contain the RPO. 

You need to have big strong DTs that can stuff runs and really athletic linebackers. If your linebackers don’t have speed, good luck keeping edge contain on Lamar. And if your DTs can’t stuff the run inside, good luck keeping Ingram from running wild inside. Oh, and you’d better have a free safety than can shut down the deep ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

It would be foolish to discount the future of a QB who won MVP in his second season and first full season starting who just turned 23 a few days ago. But that is more from an NFL perspective than a fantasy perspective.

I think it is highly unlikely he will come close to the rushing yardage he posted this year in any future season, mainly driven by my belief that if he continues running 12+ times per game in future seasons, it is inevitable he will sustain injuries and miss games... and I expect his coaches to scale back the volume on that in favor of a combination of (a) more passing (he averaged fewer than 27 pass attempts per game this season) as he gets better at it and likely gets WR help, and (b) letting the RBs carry the majority of the running game (Jackson had ~30% of the team's rushing attempts this season).

I also think it is unlikely he will ever hit a 9.0 TD percentage or 36 passing TDs again. Somewhat surprisingly, there are only 35 instances in NFL history in which a QB passed for 36+ TDs.

Going forward, IMO it is likely that Jackson's pass attempts and pass yardage go up, pass TDs come down, interceptions go up, and rushing attempts and yards come down. As a fantasy QB, it is pretty likely that he just had his career season. If you can get someone in your dynasty league to pay a super high price, it might not be a bad idea to sell. Note, I'm not saying he won't be a top 10 QB, just saying I doubt he will be consistently top 5, much less #1 by a huge margin like he was this year.

I don't say that to "hate" on Jackson, just being realistic.

Yes, there have only been 34 seasons with 36+ passing TDs, but 20 of them have been in the past decade, so we've averaged 2 per year since 2010. And most of the people on the list have been on it more than once (Brees, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck).

The league has changed. Unless we have a new change in rules or philosophies, we can expect that the top QBs are going to be throwing for 35+ TDs repeatedly in their careers. And there are 61 instances of 30+ TD since 2010, so over 6 QBs per year get to at least that level.

I'd bet on Jackson being among the six best passing QBs going forward, and the #1 rushing QB.

Edited by CalBear
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Duff Man said:

The league will adapt and he will regress. See Mahomes. 

Doesn’t mean he won’t still be great and the Ravens will keep contending. But there are a few great young QBs in the AFC with similar potential. 

The Ravens wasted this opportunity. 

Malhomes didn't regress though.  He was hurt.  In games he was completely healthy his numbers were all better than last season.

 

Here's things we know :

Lamar Jackson lead the league in td passes this year

Lamar Jackson ran for more yards this year than any qbs ever have

Lamar Jackson had a bad game

 

Let's all take a moment to simmer down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Please don't call other posters takes here laughable. I know that's tame but we're trying to have a board where we're excellent to each other. 

Disagree and state why and then discuss. It's a much better way to get good discussion I think. Thanks. 

 

No problem Joe.

I just found it incredibly reactive and short sighted. But you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A guy who just won the MVP at age 22, led the NFL in TD passes and set the all time QB rushing record lost a game for the first time since September 

He is obviously never going to amount to anything and is a loser  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah I love the fact that the running qb needs to work on his passing. Sure probably he needs to keep improving, but he did league the nfl in td passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

yeah I love the fact that the running qb needs to work on his passing. Sure probably he needs to keep improving, but he did league the nfl in td passes.

But other than his passing and his running he's no good.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

But other than his passing and his running he's no good.

he didnt even tackle henry once last night, i mean come on.

  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IHEARTFF said:

yeah I love the fact that the running qb needs to work on his passing. Sure probably he needs to keep improving, but he did league the nfl in td passes.

Not to mention he hit one of his receivers in the chest on what would have been a TD if the dude had bothered to look for the ball.

The pass to Edwards on the INT was not perfect but it was pretty good. If Edwards catches it they're in the red zone. The game would have been totally different if the Ravens got the lead early.

He needs to tighten up his spirals. He could use one actually good receiver. Other than that I don't see any reason to expect he's not going to be in the conversation for the best QB in the league for years to come.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CalBear said:

Not to mention he hit one of his receivers in the chest on what would have been a TD if the dude had bothered to look for the ball.

The pass to Edwards on the INT was not perfect but it was pretty good. If Edwards catches it they're in the red zone. The game would have been totally different if the Ravens got the lead early.

He needs to tighten up his spirals. He could use one actually good receiver. Other than that I don't see any reason to expect he's not going to be in the conversation for the best QB in the league for years to come.

Mahomes

WIlson

Jackson

Watson

 

These are your elite juggernaut QB’s moving forward IMO. All have great aspects to their game. All exciting to watch. All can extend the play better than most. All young. And all have weapons around them. 

I happen to think Josh Allen can keep developing and join this class soon. He needs a true #1 (John Brown really is better suited to be a #2 WR). And he needs to continue his improvement in the accuracy department. But he is highly athletic, can extend plays and I love his composure. He took a big step in year two IMO. I know he has a bunch of detractors, but he has the goods long term IMO. Bills fans should be happy they have a QB to develop and build around. 

Edited by Todem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots o drops

Get this man some more wrs.  

A healthy Ingram would have helped a bunch too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Todem said:

I happen to think Josh Allen can keep developing and join this class soon. He needs a true #1 (John Brown really is better suited to be a #2 WR). And he needs to continue his improvement in the accuracy department. But he is highly athletic, can extend plays and I love his composure. He took a big step in year two IMO. I know he has a bunch of detractors, but he has the goods long term IMO. Bills fans should be happy they have a QB to develop and build around. 

Here's a guy who should be a wr and not a qb.  Allen can't hit the broad side of a barn most throws and Jackson is getting critiqued because he's an exceptional runner.

Switch melanin between the two and we're talking about how amazing it is that Lamar was able to make so many plays with how little help he got from his receivers (something people say about Josh btw).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wgoldsph said:

Here's a guy who should be a wr and not a qb.  Allen can't hit the broad side of a barn most throws and Jackson is getting critiqued because he's an exceptional runner.

Switch melanin between the two and we're talking about how amazing it is that Lamar was able to make so many plays with how little help he got from his receivers (something people say about Josh btw).

Lamar Jackson is a good passer (Year 2 he had 66% accuracy a 3% improvement from year 1). And he can become great. He is so young. Josh Allen....again accuracy is an issue.....now. He is still very young and can develop. He just needs to be 61-62%....he can get there. He was 58.8% in year 2. He made almost a 3% improvement from year 1. 

I mean for his career Dan Marino...whom I consider one of the very best to ever play the position had a 59.4% completion percentage (the Jimmy Years hurt him). 

Edited by Todem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

If he isn’t a HOFer it’s only because the people who write about the NFL and vote on the HOF simply don’t care about guards. Yanda was dominant for a long time.

He has been selected 1st team All Pro 2 times and 2nd team All Pro 5 times. That shows he was/is a great player. That does not show he is a HOFer.

PFR has a metric they named HOF Monitor. It is imperfect for sure, but it has Yanda at 63.58, with the average HOF guard at 102.29.

:shrug: 

Edited by Just Win Baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgoldsph said:

Here's a guy who should be a wr and not a qb.  Allen can't hit the broad side of a barn most throws and Jackson is getting critiqued because he's an exceptional runner.

Switch melanin between the two and we're talking about how amazing it is that Lamar was able to make so many plays with how little help he got from his receivers (something people say about Josh btw).

Who is REALLY critiquing the MVP of the league Jackson because of being an exceptional runner and a very, very good QB...all at the age of 22?

I think BAL as a whole is getting critiqued (and rightfully so) because they (as the number 1) rolled over and got abused in their own house (by the number 6)....with a little bit of "extra" being thrown on because for the past 12 weeks a good portion of the football media has been on BAL's sack  and some of their fans have been a little more insufferable than usual.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

He has been selected 1st team All Pro 2 times and 2nd team All Pro 5 times. That shows he was/is a great player. That does not show he is a HOFer.

PFR has a metric they named HOF Monitor. It is imperfect for sure, but it has Yanda at 63.58, with the average HOF guard at 102.29.

:shrug: 

I haven’t looked at how they determine that number for guards, but I have a hard time believing that you can create a good easily measurable metric with data available for guards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

I haven’t looked at how they determine that number for guards, but I have a hard time believing that you can create a good easily measurable metric with data available for guards.

I don't disagree about the challenge of building metrics to measure OL play, but I posted the average HOF guard score in the same metric, and Yanda is not close to it, although one component of the metric is Approximate Value, which only goes back to 1950. HOF Monitor is described here.

There are currently 20 guards in the HOF. 15 of them have more than 2 1st team All Pro selections. 2 of the other 5 played in the 20s-40s, and I'm really not sure how to compare across such different eras. The best comparison is probably Will Shields. He also had 2 1st team All Pro selections and 5 2nd team All Pro selections. But the offenses Shields played in were more successful, which boosts his AV, which, in turn, boosts his HOF Monitor score to 87, much higher than Yanda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

This is from July 31st of this year.  

I saw that the Ravens were doing something unique.  Something the league had never seen before.

What the Ravens are doing is unique.  They pushed in all of the chips and built around this offense and it produced historic stats List of records Lamar Jackson set/tide this year and the best record in  the league.  They made the playoffs and got a bye and ran into a historic performing RB and lost.  

Sorry, but having watched 4 years of Kaepernick/Roman there's nothing here schematically I haven't seen before. Jackson is a much more talented runner and a better touch passer than Kaepernick for sure, but the system eventually gets figured out... it always does. Maybe they can get Jackson some bigger Wrs w/ large catch radiuses, but this year will likely be the easiest time he'll have running it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

You need to have big strong DTs that can stuff runs and really athletic linebackers. If your linebackers don’t have speed, good luck keeping edge contain on Lamar. And if your DTs can’t stuff the run inside, good luck keeping Ingram from running wild inside. Oh, and you’d better have a free safety than can shut down the deep ball.

I mean are the Titans THAT special on defense?  Looked to me NOT trying to shoot the gaps to tackle him, but instead just keeping a spy in front of him at all times and taking good angles (even if it meant giving up a 4 yd run) seemed more important than athleticism. The spy always cheated towards the sideline and used that to his advantage. Jackson is ultimately a QB and doesn't wanna cut it back into the teeth of the defense to get smacked for a few extra yds.The Titans were perfectly content to give Jackson 100 yds rushing, so long as it took him 20+ times to get there. I suspect having Jackson run it 20 times a game for 5 YPC isn't ideal for the Ravens either.

And no you don't need a fast FS to shut down the deep ball their deep plays are all corner/seam routes by the TEs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

Sorry, but having watched 4 years of Kaepernick/Roman there's nothing here schematically I haven't seen before. Jackson is a much more talented runner and a better touch passer than Kaepernick for sure, but the system eventually gets figured out... it always does. Maybe they can get Jackson some bigger Wrs w/ large catch radiuses, but this year will likely be the easiest time he'll have running it.

If this scheme isn't thoughtful and original, why does it take defenses a year and half to "figure it out"? Your logic is a catch 22. 

He's only 20 couple. He made a few mistakes, but he'll improve. This offense with Lamar Jackson is here to stay though, I'm pretty sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

If this scheme isn't thoughtful and original, why does it take defenses a year and half to "figure it out"? Your logic is a catch 22. 

He's only 20 couple. He made a few mistakes, but he'll improve. This offense with Lamar Jackson is here to stay though, I'm pretty sure. 

Like I said, Jackson is a much more talented runner and has his own unique tendencies so he will to some degree overcome schemes to stop him. Just because an offensive system gets "figured out" doesn't mean its no longer useful... it just means it grows less efficient over time. The Roman system was in SF for 4 years, but it never got better than that first year. If Jackson doesn't improve on his outside passing, I suspect you'll see that whole scenario play out again.

Yea he will probably get better, but his production may not as he'll have to work a lot harder to earn it going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

I don't disagree about the challenge of building metrics to measure OL play, but I posted the average HOF guard score in the same metric, and Yanda is not close to it, although one component of the metric is Approximate Value, which only goes back to 1950. HOF Monitor is described here.

There are currently 20 guards in the HOF. 15 of them have more than 2 1st team All Pro selections. 2 of the other 5 played in the 20s-40s, and I'm really not sure how to compare across such different eras. The best comparison is probably Will Shields. He also had 2 1st team All Pro selections and 5 2nd team All Pro selections. But the offenses Shields played in were more successful, which boosts his AV, which, in turn, boosts his HOF Monitor score to 87, much higher than Yanda.

What does getting named first team Team of the Decade do to a Guard's chances? If the NFL does what it has in the past, they'll be announcing the 2010s Team of the Decade before the Super Bowl and my guess is Yanda is named First Team.

Looking back from the 80s through the 00s, it is interesting to see that neither First Team Guard of the 00s - Faneca and Hutchinson - are in yet, though it looks like Faneca gets the nod this year. The 90s First Team Guards (Matthews and McDaniel) are in, as are the 80s (Hannah and Grimm). And the 00s Second Team Guards (Allen and Shields) are in .

I'd also say that being the face of the O Line that just destroyed the all-time NFL season rushing record will give Yanda's candidacy a boost. Also if he retires this year, not a lot of other strong HOF candidates in his class. Only ones I can think of potentially are Gore and Fitzgerald (if they retire), Witten and Suggs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chinawildman said:

Sorry, but having watched 4 years of Kaepernick/Roman there's nothing here schematically I haven't seen before. Jackson is a much more talented runner and a better touch passer than Kaepernick for sure, but the system eventually gets figured out... it always does. Maybe they can get Jackson some bigger Wrs w/ large catch radiuses, but this year will likely be the easiest time he'll have running it.

Scheme + unique player. 

Vick was a unique talent but not the passer (52.6% completion never more than 2,936 passing yards and high of 21 passing TDs in a single season) of Lamar (66.1% completion, 36 passing TDs, 3,127 passing yards this past year).  Kap wasn't as good of a passer (59.8% career completions, never more than 21 TDs in a season high over 600 rushing yards in any season) as Lamar.  Kap caught teams off guard but they adjusted, that has not happened with Lamar.

In 2018 after 8 games, the Ravens switched from Flacco to Lamar.  At that time the Ravens ranked 31st in the league in rushing.  Lamar started the final 8 games and they finished 2nd in rushing.  People said that NFL defenses would figure out the scheme like Kap and the pistol. 

I noted the league had never seen anything like it before because of the commitment to the scheme.  The entire organization bought into and built for the scheme.   

The NFL has been trending to 11 personnel (69% of the time in 3WR) groupings.  Baltimore ran 3 wides 48% of the time.  The NFL have been building teams on the passing game looking for chunk plays.  Copycat league, Lamar is a unique player, teams don't build an offense around one unique player/scheme, Bill Polian wanted to make him a WR, yadda yadda yadds.  Point is the Ravens went in a diametrically opposite direction to the rest of the league.

That is what I saw and was eager to see if NFL defenses could adjust.  They couldn't adjust

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Man said:

What does getting named first team Team of the Decade do to a Guard's chances? If the NFL does what it has in the past, they'll be announcing the 2010s Team of the Decade before the Super Bowl and my guess is Yanda is named First Team.

Looking back from the 80s through the 00s, it is interesting to see that neither First Team Guard of the 00s - Faneca and Hutchinson - are in yet, though it looks like Faneca gets the nod this year. The 90s First Team Guards (Matthews and McDaniel) are in, as are the 80s (Hannah and Grimm). And the 00s Second Team Guards (Allen and Shields) are in .

I'd also say that being the face of the O Line that just destroyed the all-time NFL season rushing record will give Yanda's candidacy a boost. Also if he retires this year, not a lot of other strong HOF candidates in his class. Only ones I can think of potentially are Gore and Fitzgerald (if they retire), Witten and Suggs.

 

 

He'll get in. Guards aren't celebrities so he'll probably have to get the right timing, but he'll get in.

7 pro bowls, 2 all pros, and only 23.5 sacks allowed in 13 years. The latter is great in and of itself. I only know of Quinton Spain as having a chance at besting that and that's because he's on an all time great phenomenal pace of 1 sack per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Man said:

What does getting named first team Team of the Decade do to a Guard's chances?

I don't know if it literally affects their chances or if it is just an indicator of quality of their other qualifications. Comments on candidates:

  • I would say Zack Martin is definitely a 1st team All Decade guard ahead of all others.
  • I think Quenton Nelson is better than Yanda and arguably the best guard in the NFL, but he only played 2 seasons in the decade 2010-2019, so the timing of his entry to the NFL doesn't set him up well to make an All Decade team using those years.
  • Jahri Evans has more 1st team All Pro selections in the decade than Yanda, and a better HOF resume overall.
  • I may have missed others (e.g., @Bri mentioned Spain).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I don't know if it literally affects their chances or if it is just an indicator of quality of their other qualifications.

It literally impacts the tracking - from the website:

The base formula uses weighted Approximate Value (which is 100% of the player's peak year, 95% of their second-best year, 90% of their third-best, and so on) as a starting point. Bonuses are added for Pro Football Hall of Fame All-Decade selections, MVP awards, Defensive Player of the Year awards, first-team AP All-Pro selections, championships and Pro Bowls, in descending weights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chinawildman said:

Like I said, Jackson is a much more talented runner and has his own unique tendencies so he will to some degree overcome schemes to stop him. Just because an offensive system gets "figured out" doesn't mean its no longer useful... it just means it grows less efficient over time. The Roman system was in SF for 4 years, but it never got better than that first year. If Jackson doesn't improve on his outside passing, I suspect you'll see that whole scenario play out again.

Yea he will probably get better, but his production may not as he'll have to work a lot harder to earn it going forward.

You're also forgetting Lamar is younger than the qbs coming out for this draft.  He'll improve as a pocket passer as he runs less in the coming seasons to protect his body, in turn making the times he does run with it more effective as teams will have to do more to account for passes outside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgoldsph said:

You're also forgetting Lamar is younger than the qbs coming out for this draft.  He'll improve as a pocket passer as he runs less in the coming seasons to protect his body, in turn making the times he does run with it more effective as teams will have to do more to account for passes outside.

if only it was that easy to improve as a pocket passer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leroy Hoard said:

Improved already in terms of pass completion percentage.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3916387/lamar-jackson

that's not as an in the pocket passer....

this story has been written time and time again that so and so will get so much better in the pocket.  It may happen for lamar but it's not an easy task and the road before him is littered with failed attempts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, killface said:

if only it was that easy to improve as a pocket passer...

He doesn't have to be a pocket passer, any more than Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers has to be. In fact it is silliness to try to make a guy like Jackson be a pocket passer, just like it was silliness of Tennessee to try to make Mariota be a pocket passer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, killface said:

that's not as an in the pocket passer....

this story has been written time and time again that so and so will get so much better in the pocket.  It may happen for lamar but it's not an easy task and the road before him is littered with failed attempts

Who cares where he throws it from?  As long as he's getting better completing them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CalBear said:

He doesn't have to be a pocket passer, any more than Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers has to be. In fact it is silliness to try to make a guy like Jackson be a pocket passer, just like it was silliness of Tennessee to try to make Mariota be a pocket passer.

I'm not necessarily arguing the point on Jackson, but, even though they are better than other QBs at passing on the move, Wilson and Rodgers are both excellent pocket passers, and pocket passing constitutes the bulk of their passing success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baltimore was missing a possession WR.  No matter how good Andrews was in his role it is still not a possession WR.  Brown fits a role that is needed and will excel.  Boykin seems like their projected possession guy but I don't think he will get there.  Snead/Roberts are JAG's.  They need a possession WR that can be relied upon in 3rd in 8 to 12 type plays. 

 

Lamar made great strides as a passer from year 1 to year 2.  There is still room for improvement but it also takes a complimentary piece (possession WR) to get there.  With how hard Lamar worked in the offseason to improve his passing game I have no doubt he will be in the effort.  I look forward to seeing the development. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CalBear said:

He doesn't have to be a pocket passer, any more than Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers has to be. In fact it is silliness to try to make a guy like Jackson be a pocket passer, just like it was silliness of Tennessee to try to make Mariota be a pocket passer.

to be a good qb you have to be a good pocket passer in the long term...Wilson and Rodgers move but can still make amazing throws and decisions from the pocket.

Although, as i stated before, i don't think even the ravens think jackson is the long term answer.  They are using him like a three year project.  Run him down until he gets hurt and then move on.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gally said:

Baltimore was missing a possession WR.  No matter how good Andrews was in his role it is still not a possession WR.  Brown fits a role that is needed and will excel.  Boykin seems like their projected possession guy but I don't think he will get there.  Snead/Roberts are JAG's.  They need a possession WR that can be relied upon in 3rd in 8 to 12 type plays. 

 

Lamar made great strides as a passer from year 1 to year 2.  There is still room for improvement but it also takes a complimentary piece (possession WR) to get there.  With how hard Lamar worked in the offseason to improve his passing game I have no doubt he will be in the effort.  I look forward to seeing the development. 

There isn't a qb in the league with a perfect wr core.  The wrs stink of the packers, they stink of the chiefs, they stink on the 49ers, they stink on NE

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.