What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (3 Viewers)

Antonio Brown countdown is officially on for the Ravens... their pass catchers suck 
This would add some zest to the normally insane PIT v BAL brawl.

To your point though, fully with you and mildly stunned that BAL didn't address this in the off season.

Really, are you going to make me dig up these exact arguments from threads early in Wilson's career?

Wilson was top-3 in rushing attempts by QBs for the first four years of his career, leading the league in 2014 with 118/849/6 on the ground.
You can do that. You would be the only person who doesn’t share the last name “Jackson” who thinks Lamar and Wilson are in the same realm as passers. 

We’ve seen Jackson before. He’s Vick. He’s Vince Young. He’s Mitchell Trubisky with a better organization and HC. 

In the end he will have as many rings as those guys are responsible for. 

You can do that. You would be the only person who doesn’t share the last name “Jackson” who thinks Lamar and Wilson are in the same realm as passers. 

We’ve seen Jackson before. He’s Vick. He’s Vince Young. He’s Mitchell Trubisky with a better organization and HC. 

The argument that Jackson more like Vince Young than Russell Wilson is really not worth engaging with. The best Vince Young ever did was throw 12 TDs vs 13 INTs in a season.

Since winning the 2012 Super Bowl, the Ravens had gone 35-39 with 1 playoff win in 4.5 years. Since he took over midway through 2018, they're 22-4. How did the coaches suddenly get so smart? 

Lamar's career QB rating is 105.6. It's the second highest ever for a QB with at least 25 starts (Mahomes is #1 at 109.4).

Even after last night he has 30 TD passes and 1 INT in his last 11 games. 

Since winning the 2012 Super Bowl, the Ravens had gone 35-39 with 1 playoff win in 4.5 years. Since he took over midway through 2018, they're 22-4. How did the coaches suddenly get so smart? 

Lamar's career QB rating is 105.6. It's the second highest ever for a QB with at least 25 starts (Mahomes is #1 at 109.4).

Even after last night he has 30 TD passes and 1 INT in his last 11 games. 
Agreed, BUT... the BAL offensive philosophy was not typical in today's NFL. Took DCs out of their comfort level and rode the wave for a season.

Now, through 3 games at least, the eyeball test says that they've figured it out. Time will tell. I would LOVE to be wrong about this.

I think Jackson will be fine...but NFL DC’s were able to spend months dissecting the Ravens offense which they unveiled in 2019.  Much different than having to do it on the fly in-season.  There’s probably been adjustments made to defending Lamar...now it’s on Lamar to do the same.

Really, are you going to make me dig up these exact arguments from threads early in Wilson's career?

Wilson was top-3 in rushing attempts by QBs for the first four years of his career, leading the league in 2014 with 118/849/6 on the ground.
You have to look beyond rushing stats.  Wilson will always take the calculated biggest play.  That is one of his strength.  He will always end up with high rushing numbers compared to the classical pocket passer.  But this does not make him a rushing QB.   He averaged 100 attempts per year over the first 4 years of his career, and has averaged 75 attempts for the last 4 years.  He still runs if it will result in a bigger play.

I welcome you to read through the first 20 pages of the Russell Wilson thread (it starts from when he was drafted).  His scramble ability and running were always a big threat, but not many discounted his passing.  And he is always looking downfield for the bigger play.  In 2015 he rushed 103 times.  But he passed for 4K yards and 34 TD's.  

You have to look beyond rushing stats.  Wilson will always take the calculated biggest play.  That is one of his strength.  He will always end up with high rushing numbers compared to the classical pocket passer.  But this does not make him a rushing QB.   He averaged 100 attempts per year over the first 4 years of his career, and has averaged 75 attempts for the last 4 years.  He still runs if it will result in a bigger play.

I welcome you to read through the first 20 pages of the Russell Wilson thread (it starts from when he was drafted).  His scramble ability and running were always a big threat, but not many discounted his passing.  And he is always looking downfield for the bigger play.  In 2015 he rushed 103 times.  But he passed for 4K yards and 34 TD's.  
Wilson is amazing. I just think the question of "Can Jackson's career approach Russell Wilson's?" is way more relevant and evidence based than "Will Jackson's career look like Vince Young's?" Define "running QB" however you want, but your comparables have to be those who have had great passing success as well as being running QBs. Start with the group of Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson, not a bunch of guys who never had a good passing season.

I think Jackson will be fine...but NFL DC’s were able to spend months dissecting the Ravens offense which they unveiled in 2019.  Much different than having to do it on the fly in-season.  There’s probably been adjustments made to defending Lamar...now it’s on Lamar to do the same.
I also think he'll be fine for the most part. It's one thing to be able to figure out how to stop a guy like this, it's another to have the players with the ability to execute it.

Wilson is amazing. I just think the question of "Can Jackson's career approach Russell Wilson's?" is way more relevant and evidence based than "Will Jackson's career look like Vince Young's?" Define "running QB" however you want, but your comparables have to be those who have had great passing success as well as being running QBs. Start with the group of Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson, not a bunch of guys who never had a good passing season.
Newton and Kaepernick do not belong in the same sentence with Wilson regarding passing.  It's because Wilson is such a great (and I mean great) passer, that it is hard for me to consider him a rushing QB.  Look at just his throwing stats over the last 8 years and compare them to the best in the game.  He is right there.

Newton and Kaepernick do not belong in the same sentence with Wilson regarding passing.  It's because Wilson is such a great (and I mean great) passer, that it is hard for me to consider him a rushing QB.  Look at just his throwing stats over the last 8 years and compare them to the best in the game.  He is right there.
I think it's really silly to not consider Wilson a "rushing QB", whatever that means, when he's #2 in the league (to Newton) among QBs in rushing attempts and yardage among QBs since he entered, and #3 in rushing yards/attempt (to Newton and Jackson). And he has almost twice as many rushing attempts as the #3 guy (Alex Smith). And he's #11 in passing attempts over that time frame.

Sure, Wilson is better than Newton, or Kaepernick or, today, Jackson. But those guys, and Mahomes are the comps in terms of play style and potential. Not career 56.9% passing Vick or 57.9%, more-INTs-than-TDs Young. 

I think it's really silly to not consider Wilson a "rushing QB", whatever that means, when he's #2 in the league (to Newton) among QBs in rushing attempts and yardage among QBs since he entered, and #3 in rushing yards/attempt (to Newton and Jackson). And he has almost twice as many rushing attempts as the #3 guy (Alex Smith). And he's #11 in passing attempts over that time frame.

Sure, Wilson is better than Newton, or Kaepernick or, today, Jackson. But those guys, and Mahomes are the comps in terms of play style and potential. Not career 56.9% passing Vick or 57.9%, more-INTs-than-TDs Young. 
We are probably having a semantics argument.  I've always considered someone a rushing QB if they had to count on the rushing part of their game to overcome other deficiencies.  Cam Newton would not be in the league if he couldn't rush.  Guys like Mahomes and Wilson would still be great QB's because of their passing abilities.  

Right now Jackson is a rushing QB, and he may turn into a good, or great passer.  We will see.

Right now Jackson is a rushing QB, and he may turn into a good, or great passer.  We will see.
I would love to see Jackson evolve to a hybridized version of McNabb 2.0 (assuming passing production the year McNabb broke his ankle) 

Not sure if it’s coming, but if LJax can put together an elite level passing repertoire he’ll he unstoppable.

he’s nowhere near what Mahomes just showed us. It’s not remotely close. LJax seemed to put great effort into overthrowing Marquis Brown on MNF, whereas Mahomes made throwing a 50+ yard TD off his back foot while backpedaling look effortless.  There’s a white chasm between these two QBs in the passing game.

And while KC’s defense is underrated, the Ravens are still a better defensive unit. And Mahomes just dominated.

To be fair, and I said this in the in-game topic, that KRTD might have been the worst thing for the Ravens. Put the defense right back on the field after a long drive, where they got worn out trying to stop another long drive. They never looked the same after that. 

Mahomes seems to be in his own world as far as QB ability right now. Its not a fair comparison.

If Mark Andrews would have caught some of those very catchable balls things would be different. The Ravens still lose but they would have extended more drives and I think one of them would have been a TD. I dont think the Ravens WR are as good as KCs group either although Hardman dropped some too.

In a sense, Lamar is a victim of his own early success.  It seems like most put him in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks after one great season, albeit an all-world MVP season, thus raising expectations big time, but we usually need to see more than one great season before calling someone one of the best three or four quarterbacks in the NFL.  Matt Ryan and Cam Newton are good examples of QB's recently who had great MVP seasons, yet still weren't generally put in the conversation with the best QB's in the league.  Now, Jackson's 2019 season was better than Cam's 2015 or Ryan's 2016, but we simply need to see more from Jackson before he can put in that top tier, especially since he is still playing a style that has historically not been sustainable in the long term.  Wilson and Rodgers are proven top tier QB's, and Mahomes has seemingly lapped the field already despite only being a starter himself for 2+ seasons, and while all of those guys can make plays with their legs, their arms are why they are truly great quarterbacks.  Jackson has still been an NFL starter for less than two seasons, so he has plenty of time still to improve as a passer.  Like I said in the game thread last night, the Ravens would be doing their entire team a huge benefit by not keeping the offense so one-dimensional.  The team looks confused and befuddled any time they fall behind by double digits.  This isn't college ball where you can take the "we are going to win one way or not win at all" attitude. 

Mahomes seems to be in his own world as far as QB ability right now. Its not a fair comparison.

If Mark Andrews would have caught some of those very catchable balls things would be different. The Ravens still lose but they would have extended more drives and I think one of them would have been a TD. I dont think the Ravens WR are as good as KCs group either although Hardman dropped some too.
Russ Wilson might have something to say about that first sentence

Lamar needs a better offensive coordinator, ESPECIALLY in the big games. This has happened pretty much in every loss against the Chiefs where the OC abandons the run WAY too early. From Monday night:

1. Ravens drive down and score a field goal with a nice mix of run and pass. Heck, they never should have even passed on this drive. 3-0 Ravens
  2. Chiefs get ball, drive down and score. Missed XP. Chiefs 6-3
  3. Ravens get ball. Lamar goes for 14 on a run. Penalty. Brought back. They then call 3 pass plays. Punt.
  4. Chiefs get ball. Go down field and score. Chiefs 13-3
  5. Ravens return KO for TD. Chiefs 13-10
  6. Chiefs go three and out. 
  7. Ravens get ball. Calls 3 pass plays AGAIN. Punt.
  8. Chiefs get ball. Go down and score. Chiefs 20-10. Still first half.
  9. Ravens get ball. Run, pass (penalty on chiefs to get first down), short run, pass, pass, punt.
  10. Chiefs get ball. Go down and score before half. 27-10
You get the point. While the Ravens are still in the game they start going all pass, pass, pass when it's not even necessary. They are so concerned about the other teams they completely abandon the game plan WAY too early.

The OC and Harbaugh needs to quit peeing their pants at the first sign of trouble. THEY are the ones failing Lamar and the Ravens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lamar Jackson completed 14-of-21 passes for 193 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in Ravens' 31-17 Week 4 win over Washington, adding seven rushes for 53 yards and a touchdown. 

Jackson returned to form after a nightmarish Week 3 performance against Kansas CIty. Again under constant duress, Jackson scrambled throughout the game and made a few incredible throws downfield. His day was highlighted by a career-long 50 yard rushing score as Baltimore pulled away from the Football Team. Jackson, with the Ravens up big, watched the final few drives from the bench. Jackson and the Baltimore offense have another fantastic matchup next week against a burnable Bengals defense. 

- Rotoworld

Money💰Jersey Giveaway in Pinned Tweet

⁦‪@MoneyMaskell⁩

Reports coming out that #Ravens QB Lamar Jackson was not at practice today without any knowledge to the team as to why per ⁦‪@ToneDigz⁩ on the ⁦‪@PatMcAfeeShow⁩

Something to watch out for as the Ravens are 13.5 pt favorites going into Sunday 👀

10/7/20, 1:24 PM

Ravens' Lamar Jackson: Not practicing Wednesday

41 mins ago

Jackson is not participating in Wednesday's practice, Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com reports.

The official reason for Jackson's absence will be revealed when Baltimore's first injury report of the week is officially released Wednesday afternoon. At this time it remains uncertain whether the star quarterback is dealing with any sort of injury, or if he's sitting out Wednesday's session for rest or personal purposes.

Ravens' Lamar Jackson: Not practicing Wednesday

41 mins ago

Jackson is not participating in Wednesday's practice, Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com reports.

The official reason for Jackson's absence will be revealed when Baltimore's first injury report of the week is officially released Wednesday afternoon. At this time it remains uncertain whether the star quarterback is dealing with any sort of injury, or if he's sitting out Wednesday's session for rest or personal purposes.
Hopefully just a little wind burn from running too fast? :oldunsure:

Update: Schefter (on NFLN) just reported it's his knee. BAL says precautionary and expect him to play Sun, but RGIII did take all the reps in practice today.

Lamar Jackson QB | BAL

Ravens' Lamar Jackson: Minor knee issue

(19 mins ago) Jackson sat out practice Wednesday with a knee issue that isn't considered serious, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The report notes that Jackson was held out of practice for "precautionary reasons," which led to Robert Griffin handling first-team QB reps. We'll revisit Jackson's status Thursday, but so far there's no reason to think that his availability for Sunday's game against the Bengals is in any danger.
:shrug:

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson (knee) didn't practice Thursday. 

Jackson missed Wednesday's practice too. It's unclear as to when or how Jackson hurt his knee in the Ravens' Week 4 win over Washington, but two consecutive missed practices is reason for concern. If he's unable to put in at least a limited practice on Friday, Jackson will probably be a game-time call for Sunday against the Bengals. Robert Griffin III should be picked up in superflex leagues just in case. 

Related:

Robert Griffin III

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Oct 8, 2020, 1:40 PM ET
😑

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens are "taking precaution" with Lamar Jackson (knee) after he missed Wednesday and Thursday's practices, but that he is "expected to play this weekend." 

We still don't even known when Jackson got injured. The "precaution" angle makes sense, but a quarterback missing back-to-back practices and then still playing is not the norm. It is far from unheard of, but Jackson is officially questionable for Sunday's game against the Bengals. For now, fantasy managers can keep him penciled in. Even a "limited" Friday session would quell most worry. Stay tuned. 

Jason La Canfora
This is weird... I watched the game and rewatched some highlights and I never saw anything where he got nicked up. He never really looked injured and appeared fine on the sidelines. Was this a off-field injury? Heck he didn't have the look of someone playing through a pre-game injury either.

(RotoWire) Jackson (knee) didn't practice Thursday, Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com reports. Analysis: Hensley points out that this is the first time that the QB has missed back-to-back regular season practices during his three-year NFL career. Initial reports indicated that Jackson's knee issue isn't considered serious, but obviously what he's able to do at practice Friday will be telling with regard to his status for Sunday's game against the Bengals.
Can't see this helping his passing game.

Feels like teetering on bust of the season (by Jackson 2019 standards). Luckily, COVID says the season is almost over... so I got that going for me... which is nice.

Can't see this helping his passing game.

Feels like teetering on bust of the season (by Jackson 2019 standards). Luckily, COVID says the season is almost over... so I got that going for me... which is nice.
Through 4 weeks, Jackson has 1000 combined yards passing/rushing, a 7/1 TD/INT ratio and a rushing TD.

In 2019, he had 1350 yards, a 10/2 ratio and a rushing TD.

Basically, the difference between the two seasons is his stupidly-awesome Week 1 against Miami last year.  324 yards passing and 5 TDs.

Edit: And through 5 weeks last year, he had 1575, 11/5 and 1.  He will be much closer to this yardage total after this week's game, assuming he plays.  And the TD/INT ratio should be worlds better.

Through 4 weeks, Jackson has 1000 combined yards passing/rushing, a 7/1 TD/INT ratio and a rushing TD.

In 2019, he had 1350 yards, a 10/2 ratio and a rushing TD.

Basically, the difference between the two seasons is his stupidly-awesome Week 1 against Miami last year.  324 yards passing and 5 TDs.

Edit: And through 5 weeks last year, he had 1575, 11/5 and 1.  He will be much closer to this yardage total after this week's game, assuming he plays.  And the TD/INT ratio should be worlds better.
Thanks. That's a very optimistic way of looking at it!

Based solely on FF pts, I was stuck on his 2020 so far being 2 games below his single worst game of 2019 and 2 games just below his average game of 2019 (subject to FF rules and scoring of course). ;)

aha clarity

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson (knee, illness) did not practice Thursday. 

This is the first we're hearing about Jackson's illness. CBS' Jason La Canfora reported the Ravens are "taking precaution" with Jackson and expect him to play Sunday against the Bengals. His Friday practice status could prove critical.

- Jeff Zrebiec
he sick

Lamar Jackson (knee, illness) returned to practice Friday.

It was business as usual for Jackson after he sat out Wednesday and Thursday's sessions. It was likely more precautionary than anything, as the Ravens have made a conscious effort to manage Jackson's reps. He's the top fantasy quarterback play on the board for Week 5 against the Bengals.

Oct 9, 2020, 12:01 PM ET

Gamescript could be problematic this week for Lamar.  You can see it turning into a Ravens RB clinic by the 3rd quarter.

You’ll get some downfield shots though even if that happens and Lamar has to start hitting Brown on those.  He said this week he anticipates they will clean that part of the passing game up as the season progresses so a long TD pass or two could make it a solid fantasy day like his 50 yard TD run did last week.

Also divisional matchups, definitely in the AFC north, can become something you didn’t see coming if cincy is still around at half time.  I don’t like the Ravens ineffective and predictable blitzing against Cincy’s rookie, he’ll pick it apart if they just keep throwing DB blitzes at him all day.  If that happens all bets are off and Lamar could go crazy all the way through the 4th quarter.

jtp1982 said:
Gamescript could be problematic this week for Lamar.  You can see it turning into a Ravens RB clinic by the 3rd quarter.
They need to tighten things up in their passing game. If they get the chance to put up 40 they will IMO.

Lamar Jackson completed 19-of-37 passes for 180 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Ravens' 27-3, Week 5 win over the Bengals. 

It was another easy win for the Ravens, but this was Jackson's second worst start of the season. His interception was thrown right to linebacker Logan Wilson, while Jackson threw another ball right to Wilson that he thankfully dropped. Jackson then threw another pick right to a linebacker in the second half, but it was mercifully dropped. Jackson averaged an awful 4.9 yards per attempt while rushing only twice for three yards. He missed Marquise Brown for what probably should have been a 31-yard score early in the first quarter. The fact that Jackson has been held under 200 yards passing in back-to-back games — and is averaging 169 yards since Week 1 — has largely been because of game flow, but it hasn't helped that Jackson has missed some easy throws and not always been able to locate his second read. The Eagles' rippable secondary is on tap for Week 6.

- Rotoworld

That's three (3)... THREE clunkers (in 5 outings) by last year's fantasy MVP.

I am officially on the "bust" narrative for 2020. 😩

That's three (3)... THREE clunkers (in 5 outings) by last year's fantasy MVP.

I am officially on the "bust" narrative for 2020. 😩
Yup this isn't good.  I think I will be rotating him with Justin Herbert going forward depending on matchups.  Took him as first QB in the third round in my main redraft. Dumb.

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson said the team's offense is "fine" despite his decreased rushing attempts this season. 

Baltimore's offense ranks 24th in the league through five weeks, one year after finishing as the NFL's No. 2 offense. Jackson, meanwhile, is the QB11 in fantasy football. He's averaging a career-low 8.2 rushing attempts per game after running the ball twice in Baltimore's Week 5 blowout win over the Bengals. ESPN's Jamison Hensley said Jackson's "lack of rushing last game can be attributed to a sore knee," though it's unclear how long the knee has bothered him, or how limiting the injury is. He's on pace for 80 designed runs this season -- a steep drop from last year's 116. "As the season goes on, we’re going to see if we need to [run more]. Coach is going to adjust," Jackson said. "Right now, we’re doing perfectly fine without me running so much." Fantasy managers should continue plugging and playing Jackson with hopes that his rushing production picks up. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 15, 2020, 8:40 AM ET

Michael F. Florio @MichaelFFlorio

Lamar Jackson 

2020 16-game pace
Pass Yds: 3,037
Pass TDs: 29
Rush Yds: 762
Rush TD: 3

Pass Yds: 3,127
Pass TDs: 36
Rush Yds: 1,206
Rush TD: 7
At the BOS, I was projecting 3400 yds passing, 30 TDs, 900 yds rushing, and 6 rushing TDs.  Funny how his current pace isn't that much lower than what I projected, but it feels like Jackson has been a bust so far.

Users who are viewing this thread