Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
massraider

[DYNASTY] Lamar Jackson, Ravens. As a WR, makes a decent QB

2 hours ago, The_Man said:

The Vick comparisons don't make a lot of sense.. As a 22-year-old, Lamar has a career completion percentage of 62% after 15 starts, and is completing 64% this year. Vick's career percentage was 56%. Vick's career QB rating was 80.4. Lamar's is 90.9, and 95.4 this year. He's already a better passing QB than Vick was, despite not having nearly as strong an arm.

Putting running aside for a minute, who's a QB that's similar to Lamar as a throwing QB? Decent accuracy, not the strongest arm in the world, does a pretty good job of limiting bad decisions. 

I'm thinking he might be Chad Pennington. If Chad Pennington could also have happened to run like Gale Sayers. A middle of the pack QB like Pennington who also rushes for 1,300 yards is not the worst thing to be.

If not Pennington, who's another passer Lamar reminds you of?

I think Jackson has much better arm strength than Pennington ever had.

He is more efficient than most of the QB I might compare him to but not as efficient as DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson were as passers in their young careers.

He is on pace for 476 attempts 306 completions 3626 yards 24 TD 10 interceptions.

This isn't that far off from DeShaun Watsons second season of 505 attempts 345 completions 4165 yards 26 TD 9 interceptions.

The main difference is a higher completion percentage and adjusted yards per attempt being better for Watson than what Jackson has been doing so far.

Watson had Hopkins to work with. I am not exactly seeing a weapon like this on the Ravens right now.

I think he can be as good as Watson as a passer while also being a better runner. He has improved tremendously from what he did as a rookie.

• Like 5

Awful lot of negative here for a guy that put up 37 against the greatest defense of all time.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

19 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Awful lot of negative here for a guy that put up 37 against the greatest defense of all time.

New here, GB?

:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

39 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Oh shoot... didn't realize that he ran that Edelman fumble back for the TD.

1 minute ago, Dizzy said:

Oh shoot... didn't realize that he ran that Edelman fumble back for the TD.

Ok, 30 against the greatest defense of all time.

• Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Ok, 30 against the greatest defense of all time.

30 against a team that played the weakest schedule of all time.

I think we all knew about Lamar Jackson... Patriots defense being middle of the road is probably surprising to some.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

I think Jackson has much better arm strength than Pennington ever had.

I think he can be as good as Watson as a passer while also being a better runner. He has improved tremendously from what he did as a rookie.

As a Ravens fan, I hope you’re right but I do think people give him credit for more arm strength than he actually has. For example, throwing an out route to the boundary from the far hash is not in his repertoire. 

2 minutes ago, The_Man said:

As a Ravens fan, I hope you’re right but I do think people give him credit for more arm strength than he actually has. For example, throwing an out route to the boundary from the far hash is not in his repertoire. 

You have surely seen more of him than I have. I take your word for it.

Part of that could just be mechanics or something he improves on still.

First time watching a whole game of his really. He’s a lot of fun and I thoroughly enjoyed last night’s beat down of the most “historic” awesomest defense ever!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lod001 said:

Give it time. I've seen this type of post many times. Vince Young, David Carr, Tebow, Bob Griffin and the latest....Winston. I came out victorious on all of them.

Most of them were all were incredibly valuable at some point in fantasy.  How can you victory lap on Winston?  If you bought him as a rookie in dynasty he has put up huge numbers.  You know this isn't REAL football right?  His bone-headed plays haven't kept him from scoring tons of points.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, lod001 said:

Give it time. I've seen this type of post many times. Vince Young, David Carr, Tebow, Bob Griffin and the latest....Winston. I came out victorious on all of them.

No you didn't.  Being a legend in your own mind doesn't make you a legend.  You've been wrong numerous times.

• Laughing 2

6 hours ago, Shawnky said:

No you didn't.  Being a legend in your own mind doesn't make you a legend.  You've been wrong numerous times.

Apparently you never visited the Carr, tebow, young or Winston threads.

16 hours ago, Dizzy said:

30 against a team that played the weakest schedule of all time.

I think we all knew about Lamar Jackson... Patriots defense being middle of the road is probably surprising to some.

I'm new to this debate.  You missed out on him, didn't you?

Friend in Louisville says thousands of fans are heading 90 minutes up the road on Sunday to cheer for Lamar in Cincy 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, JuniorNB said:

I'm new to this debate.  You missed out on him, didn't you?

Nope. Not at all.

16 hours ago, The_Man said:

Friend in Louisville says thousands of fans are heading 90 minutes up the road on Sunday to cheer for Lamar in Cincy 

Louisville dude here. In a sense, we are lucky to not have pro teams of our own, as it lets us choose to root for the teams that our favorite alumni join.

When Teddy B was drafted by MN, I switched from the Oilers/Titans (fan since Earl Campbell) to the Vikings. While I still lov the Norsemen (Cook dyno owner), I am now a solid Ravens fans. 

Unfortunately, I can't make the trip this week. At least we get good TV coverage here - I guess someone knows we are a good market for Balt now.

Oh, I got LJ in my dynasty too - late 2nd round rookie draft. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Louisville dude here. In a sense, we are lucky to not have pro teams of our own, as it lets us choose to root for the teams that our favorite alumni join.

When Teddy B was drafted by MN, I switched from the Oilers/Titans (fan since Earl Campbell) to the Vikings. While I still lov the Norsemen (Cook dyno owner), I am now a solid Ravens fans. 

Unfortunately, I can't make the trip this week. At least we get good TV coverage here - I guess someone knows we are a good market for Balt now.

Not a Saints fan?

2 hours ago, Shawnky said:

Not a Saints fan?

I absolutely luvs @SaintsInDome2006🤩

Oh - the team?

Yeah - I like them too, but when Teddy B got injured, missed time and then eventually traded to a backup position in NO in '18, LJ was drafted by Balt the same year. The way that the Ravens revamped everything to fit him just blew me away. Also, I cannot deny that his initial success has been intoxicating enough that he has become my #1 player - think I need a jersey now.

That said, I am pumped over how well TB did during his time filling in for Brees. I was worried that he may have lost his window for success. Now, when/if he eventually gets the starting role, I am sure I will become an even bigger fan.

Plus, NO is a hella city to visit for a game. Have they scheduled any games during Mardi Gras yet? I could really go fer that!

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I absolutely luvs @SaintsInDome2006🤩

Oh - the team?

Yeah - I like them too, but when Teddy B got injured, missed time and then eventually traded to a backup position in NO in '18, LJ was drafted by Balt the same year. The way that the Ravens revamped everything to fit him just blew me away. Also, I cannot deny that his initial success has been intoxicating enough that he has become my #1 player - think I need a jersey now.

That said, I am pumped over how well TB did during his time filling in for Brees. I was worried that he may have lost his window for success. Now, when/if he eventually gets the starting role, I am sure I will become an even bigger fan.

Plus, NO is a hella city to visit for a game. Have they scheduled any games during Mardi Gras yet? I could really go fer that!

No games, but hopefully a Super Bowl parade.

Teddy won over the city. Dude’s a backup and they were chanting his name in the Dome. Tears-inducing.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

In Week 2, the only 3 markets in the country to show the Cardinals-Ravens game were Phoenix, Baltimore and Louisville.

• Like 1

Lamar just had weekly media availability.

On being named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this year: "That's pretty dope, but I'm just trying to win." 

On suddenly getting lots of national media attention and talk about possibly being MVP: "If I'm watching TV and that comes on, I'm gonna turn the channel."

• Like 2

Lamar Jackson was absent from Thursday's practice.

Jackson was not on Wednesday's injury report. The assembled media would likely know if it were a rest day. It's possible Jackson is away from the team on personal business. His status will be updated later Thursday. For now, there is no reason to panic in fantasy.

Source: https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1192512815879380992

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Apparently now officially questionable for Sunday.

:sadbanana:

Fantasy sites mark him questionable now because he didn't practice.  I read an illness.  Hopefully not mono!

• Love 1

Word in Baltimore is that it's the same illness Yanda caught from his kids that kept him out of practice yesterday - doesn't seem too serious 

9 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Word in Baltimore is that it's the same illness Yanda caught from his kids that kept him out of practice yesterday - doesn't seem too serious 

I read the lockers are next to each-other.  Lamar deserves a sick day after that W last week.  Hopefully he's back and ready to roll tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Nice!

Also, how much did it cost - without the kid? ;)

About $45 on amazon for the child size.  Legit stitching and it's a nike jersey with the NFL 100 logo.

• Like 2

Lamar Jackson (illness) resumed practicing Friday.

Jackson missed only the second practice of his career on Thursday while battling an illness. His status for Sunday's game in Cincy was never in doubt. The former Heisman winner hung 152 rushing yards on the Bengals when he faced them earlier this year and should display similar dominance in Sunday's rematch. You could make an argument for Lamar as the top quarterback play of Week 10.

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Nov 8, 2019, 12:04 PM ET

On 11/6/2019 at 4:13 AM, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

:hifive:

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 11:29 AM, Walking Boot said:

I guess the time to sell was two weeks ago. Not sure what I can get for him now.

I hope you at least got a kicker for him :mellow:

Edited by tjnc09
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, lod001 said:

You definitely want to unload this guy before Belicheck has his way with him.

Yeah, hope everyone took this advice 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, lod001 said:

You definitely want to unload this guy before Belicheck has his way with him.

19 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Yeah, hope everyone took this advice 

My belief is that Belicheck was taking notes during this regular season game to plan for how he will try and stop him when the game really matters in the playoffs.   I don't think he was using all the tricks up his sleeve in a mid season game on the road that really doesn't mean much. 

However, Lamar Jackson is the real deal for fantasy purposes and should be treated as such. 

39 minutes ago, Gally said:

My belief is that Belicheck was taking notes during this regular season game to plan for how he will try and stop him when the game really matters in the playoffs.   I don't think he was using all the tricks up his sleeve in a mid season game on the road that really doesn't mean much. 

Totally agree. I was saying that as the game progressed. It would not surprise me 1 bit if he was using this game as bait and that Balt, with the success they had, will do the same thing next game and Belicheck will have game planned for it.

Yes Jackson is fantasy gold right now. Enjoy it now because running QBs do not last and once the legs are gone....Cam Newton 2020. In dynasty you want the Drew Brees/Brady/Manning. etc of the world.

46 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Totally agree. I was saying that as the game progressed. It would not surprise me 1 bit if he was using this game as bait and that Balt, with the success they had, will do the same thing next game and Belicheck will have game planned for it.

Yes Jackson is fantasy gold right now. Enjoy it now because running QBs do not last and once the legs are gone....Cam Newton 2020. In dynasty you want the Drew Brees/Brady/Manning. etc of the world.

I see Jackson as a totally different runner than any other running QB.  More in the mold of Vick (and maybe better) rather than Cam.  Cam looked for contact and punished smaller DB's.  Jackson glides and never takes a hit due to his amazing field awareness.  Can it happen?  Sure......but I do not view Jackson as the typical running QB.  He does a better job than any QB I have seen of avoiding big contact. 

15 hours ago, lod001 said:

If I get five top 5 QB seasons from him like people got from Cam, I will be quite happy. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gally said:

Not sure I agree.  I think his game plan simply didn't work (Belichick is the GOAT, but even the best don't crush it in every game), but I have no doubt that he will have a new and better game plan if they play them again in the playoffs.  

Edited by Ghost Rider

yeah you have to ride this as long as it lasts. 5 years is a long time

16 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

yeah you have to ride this as long as it lasts. 5 years is a long time

Right and it's  not like the prototypical QBs can't flame out. Look at the dynasty stock of Trubisky, Goff and Mayfield from this August until now. 

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Right and it's  not like the prototypical QBs can't flame out. Look at the dynasty stock of Trubisky, Goff and Mayfield from this August until now. 

He’s Mike Vick 2.0. And by that I mean he’s an elite runner who needs work on his accuracy. Also probably doesn’t have the arm Vick had. Running wise looks a lot like how Vick did. Nearly unstoppable.

Edited by Gandalf

2 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

He’s Mike Vick 2.0 

And there will be ups and downs a long the way. If he gets a minor injury, he could be pretty ineffective for fantasy. Where Matt Ryan can play through a bum ankle and still post 350/2, I am not sure Lamar would have much value on a sore ankle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

And there will be ups and downs a long the way. If he gets a minor injury, he could be pretty ineffective for fantasy. Where Matt Ryan can play through a bum ankle and still post 350/2, I am not sure Lamar would have much value on a sore ankle. 

So have a good backup

45 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

So have a good backup

Well yeah, I assume most dynasty teams have a backup and hopefully he’s good. That’s not always so easy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Well yeah, I assume most dynasty teams have a backup and hopefully he’s good. That’s not always so easy.

In QB1 leagues far easier

• Like 1