What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explosion in New York City (1 Viewer)

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy
At least 29 people injured after ‘intentional’ explosion in New York City, officials say; second device located

NEW YORK — Dozens of people were injured Saturday night in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan in an explosion that New York Mayor Bill de Blasio called “an intentional act.”

At least 29 people suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the blast, which occurred on the street and not inside a building, according to the New York Police Department. One person was seriously injured, said Daniel A. Nigro, the New York fire commissioner.

Not long after the blast, police said they had found another potentially explosive device just blocks away. This device appeared to be similar to a pressure cooker and had wiring on it, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation. Pressure cookers were used in the two bombs detonated at the Boston Marathon in 2013.

Mods,

Can we just give eligoesdeep and Chauncey a few days off or contain them to a Trump/Hillary thread so the rest if us can follow along to an ongoing news story where many posters on here are directly effected on some level?

Looks bomb squad carted the second device away. Didnt know they did that... seems like whenever I read about those, they explode them on site.

Also really glad to wake up to nothing more than when I went sleep last night.

Other than selfish dopes acting like idiots. Well, I guess thats the same too.

Also really glad to wake up to nothing more than when I went sleep last night.

Other than selfish dopes acting like idiots. Well, I guess thats the same too.
Yea, no doubt.

Obviously a lot of people are effected and dozens injured but also glad to hear the severity of this has no casualties.

27th between 6/7 has to be one of the quieter blocks in the middle of Manhattan on a Saturday night. Really strange. Isn't that the flower district?

New York City Police putting on a clinic in their reaction once this took place.

I'm not a big cop proponent but we have asked them to now deal with a lot of this stuff, in another city this could have been worse. 

Last edited by a moderator:
27th between 6/7 has to be one of the quieter blocks in the middle of Manhattan on a Saturday night. Really strange. itsn't that the flower district?
Just realized my kids have taken acting Classes around the corner from there.

Its either flower district, or a block with mish-mash wholesale storefronts... beads, Hats, accessories, etc. Super quiet on a saturday evening. 

Even more of an unlikely spot to cause maximum harm than that block on 23rd (as chase and sammy mentioned last night... a block east or west wouldve put It In much busier areas.

Safe to say this is the dumbest terrorist ever?
Don't think it's safe to say anything yet. Though my hunch is it is more likely a stupid kid trying to make some noise than a "terrorist" trying to kill people. But too early to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what finally got the original thread removed, but it was pretty disgusting from the beginning with Eligoesdeep (dfsguy) trying to blame Hillary Clinton. I've noticed though that when the thread went missing, so did he. Hopefully he's gone. 

So has anyone made calendrical sense of yesterday's scattered activities? Tried watching the news networks - crisis coverage used to be the most excititng thing about owning a tv - but it was nothing but wildass conjecture by lightweight people.

Isn't it kind of self defeating to place a bomb inside a spacious metal container with a lid?

Wouldn't that direct the blast up and/or shield the immediate surroundings from part of the shrapnel?

Also, aren't trash dumpsters generally set in alleys or at least away from pedestrian traffic?

We dont really have alleys, despite what movies might try to tell you.

But I thought the same thing about the dumpster... seems like what you pit a bomb into to try to minimize or contain damage, not maximize it.

Don't think it's safe to say anything yet. Though my hunch is it is more likely a stupid kid trying to make some noise than a "terrorist" trying to kill people. But too early to say.
That 2nd device looked like more than a stupid kid unless it was done up and was a fake.

wikkidpissah said:
So has anyone made calendrical sense of yesterday's scattered activities? Tried watching the news networks - crisis coverage used to be the most excititng thing about owning a tv - but it was nothing but wildass conjecture by lightweight people.
Good choice for Willie's band name.

El Floppo said:

But I thought the same thing about the dumpster... seems like what you pit a bomb into to try to minimize or contain damage, not maximize it.
Yeah, but let's not give the guy new ideas...

;)

El Floppo said:

Maybe they thought it would explode for some added shrapnel. Probably not the brightest people.

Users who are viewing this thread