What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unsportsmanlike taunting ejections, too much or boot em? (1 Viewer)

What do you think of ejections for unsportsmanlike taunting penalties?

• I'm okay with it

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Too much

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters

ShamrockPride

Footballguy
So the NFL is apparently booting players this year for 2 unsportsmanlike penalties in a game, which include taunting. The explanation by the refs on the flags is so long winded you can't miss it. What does everyone here think of this? You embrace it or are ejections for non-injurious actions taking it a little far?

I'm ok with the two strikes and you're out. Actually, I like it. That should help clean up some of the poor sportsmanship, stupid play, without leaving too much room for the refs to screw it up like most everything else.

Now, let's fix the what-is-a-catch, and the unavoidable head to head hits that keep getting flagged.

I have no problem with them trying to clean things up, but I have already seen so much inconsistency it's crazy.  

I'm ok with the two strikes and you're out. Actually, I like it. That should help clean up some of the poor sportsmanship, stupid play, without leaving too much room for the refs to screw it up like most everything else.

Now, let's fix the what-is-a-catch, and the unavoidable head to head hits that keep getting flagged.
Two 15 yarders and you're out. Sounds right to me too.

The catch thing will never get "fixed". If the best rule the smartest football minds on the planet of a 15 billion dollar industry can collectively come up with is the uber-ambiguous "carry it though the entire process of the catch", even after allowing for today's technology, then any hope of getting it cleared up by a referee in 30 seconds on the sideline or a booth is folly.

As for the refs, if there's two non Player jobs that have got to be the hardest in all of sports, it's got to be NFL Head Coach and NFL referee. These guys and this game are so big and so fast and so crazy that it's impossible in real time to see every hold, head shot, pass interference and where the football ended up at the bottom of a pile of half a dozen 250 men.

I think its something that should be allowed..

But it certainly needs tact n limits (common sense)

Taunt an injury..  See ya!

When ya start limiting taunting (celebrations) , its opening the door for more b.s. down the road..

I guess when a ref has a chance to make it all the way to the commotion?   It should Stop!

I guess id be okay w/ verbal warnings, before a player gets booted..

Ref pauses the clock, and makes it clear to both sidelines that Taunting has exceeded expectations of NFL players..

Any player thought to be acting out in a taunting manner will be removed from the game..

I'm okay with it in the context that the NFL wants this stuff out of the game and as such, they are forced to up the ante in terms of the cost of selfishness. Lot's of players make "go ahead and fine me" type money. A handful of players are "go ahead and punish my team, I don't care" as well. I'm not sure what else you do with those guys.

Catches should NEVER be reviewed in slow motion.

That alone would fix some of this "what is a catch" ########.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great idea. A lot of these guys are total clowns. 'yeah baby, I caught a 5 yard pass, look at me'. What is needed is more Jerry Rice an Marvin Harrison attitudes which is, 'been there, done that.'. The biggest idiots are the ones who do it when they are 20 points down.

Forgot the game where I caught a penalty for taunting where the CB threw a finger wag after defending on a pass play barely pointing towards the receiver it looked more to the fans - it was weak if you ask me. Will they start throwing it for waving the arms incomplete(like a ref) as well? they seem about the same.

Problem is not the ejection for two unsportsmans.  Problem is that these penalties are given for very benign celebrations.  Like flagging Kelvin because him and Funchess did the same motion together.  No Fun League indeed.

I have somewhat of an issue with it. A player is going to get called for something stupid/not his fault and get tossed out of a game. It allows the refs to have way more control than i prefer, a 15 yard penalty isnt enough? 

I have somewhat of an issue with it. A player is going to get called for something stupid/not his fault and get tossed out of a game. It allows the refs to have way more control than i prefer, a 15 yard penalty isnt enough? 
Can you give an example of something that would get a player ejected under this rule that would really not be their fault?

Can you give an example of something that would get a player ejected under this rule that would really not be their fault?
Something like this. 

Problem is not the ejection for two unsportsmans.  Problem is that these penalties are given for very benign celebrations.  Like flagging Kelvin because him and Funchess did the same motion together.  No Fun League indeed.
Or a simple rebuttal for a previous action. While probably their fault. Like the Packers/Vikings game last night when the O-lineman pushed Sedayjo (sp?) for leaping at Rodgers when he already crossed the Endzone. While that is technically his fault, that shouldnt have resulted in an unsportsmanlike misconduct. If that was his 2nd offense, he would of been gone. Not right imo. 

I like it, because it helps remind me that this game used to be a good one. Now they changed it so much to please fantasy owners and the moms in the crowd it is not what the NFL was meant to be. I understand things evolve, but how long before it becomes flag football or two hand touch. Then we will be hounding the replay officials to see if two hands touched a player and if he touched him to hard to get a 15 yard penalty.

Said another way:  I don't agree that the NFL's definition of an excessive celebration is necessarily unsportsmanlike conduct.  

I like it, because it helps remind me that this game used to be a good one. Now they changed it so much to please fantasy owners and the moms in the crowd it is not what the NFL was meant to be. I understand things evolve, but how long before it becomes flag football or two hand touch. Then we will be hounding the replay officials to see if two hands touched a player and if he touched him to hard to get a 15 yard penalty.
Wouldnt this be the reason for not liking this rule? 

ya know what the problem revolves around

How big the NFL has become

its attracted fans who aint pro violence by any stretch of the imagination  not to mention anything that isnt politically correct

Oh I wouldnt want Johnny finger waving

pretty much summed things up..

How about a Coachs challenge..

Coach can throw his flag in any situation that he considers excessive..

Obviously if Coach has a prima donna (marker in the endzone) type player   WE shouldnt see a flag

Punishment   ejection

No warnings or do-overs

Both teams can either chill and realize its for some of us Fans   Or they can start paving the way for NMWFFL (national men/womens flag football league)

Yeah, that is a different topic. I can't stand most of those things. This is a game, right? For fun? Pretty soon the Lambeau Leap will be outlawed.

I have no problem with them trying to clean things up, but I have already seen so much inconsistency it's crazy.  
That's my only issue with it - because it's a judgement call, it can have inconsistencies from penalty to penalty and crew to crew.  It can also have a huge impact on the outcome of a game if a key player is ejected. And as mentioned, when it's for taunting (what used to just be called "celebrating a TD") it's especially bad. 

But for things players do that have injury potential like late hits/hits out of bounds, standing over someone and taunting after a big hit, helmet to helmet - 2 strikes and out seems fair. 

I don't think that an excessive celebration after a TD should count towards ejection.  Make it an obscene fine, maybe $100k for first offense and keep adding another $50k to the fine for subsequent violations.   That would stop the behavior and have no impact on the games.

I think they should penalize any celebration that's unoriginal or non-organic. The first down signal and then dropping the ball should be a penalty. Some guys do it 5 times a game (Emmanuel Sanders, Amendola). I don't understand the players that are more concerned with celebrating after every play than keeping their head in the drive.  Dez Bryant can't not draw attention to himself every time he touches the ball. The guy even celebrates on obvious non-catches. Celebrate in the locker room after the game. Cam Newton, great player, just don't understand how he can spend 10 seconds after every positive gain performing for the crowd.

I don't think that an excessive celebration after a TD should count towards ejection.  Make it an obscene fine, maybe $100k for first offense and keep adding another $50k to the fine for subsequent violations.   That would stop the behavior and have no impact on the games.
Or, you know, just let them celebrate a little. Like when football was fun.  Doesn't need to be a group celebration - but who among us doesn't miss the end zone dances and celebrations? Pretty sure it's a very small minority of people saying "thank god they got rid of those end zone dances! Shameful I say - we outlawed dancing in this town 20 years ago when little Timmy Smithers tried to dance and choked on his own tongue and died. Timmy is dead now because of dancing, so we can't have any dancing in the end zone! One time a player pulled a Sharpie out of his sock and signed a ball with it! Can you imagine!" 

Ok, I'm pretty sure that was also the plot of Footloose, but stick with me here....

It's stupid. This is how football is played. It's a motivational tool for the players. Now they have to become mute?

I saw one yesterday in the HOU/KC where Osweiler threw a ball out of bounds just out of Fuller's reach and the CB got flagged for god knows what he said to Fuller. The ref put his hand on the small of his back and explained to him what he did wrong. Am I watching a football game or Daddy and Jr. at the playground? Ridiculous.

And there's taunting literally after every running play.

I'm completely baffled as to why taunting is bad for football. The NBA was better off before the crackdown on taunting (for christ sake, Dikembe Mutombo started getting T'd up for wagging his finger) and I'm gonna assume this isn't going to make the NFL any better either. A game with aches, pains, blood, concussions, painkillers, CTE, steroids, and yet they crack down on players talking loudly to each other.

A game with aches, pains, blood, concussions, painkillers, CTE, steroids, and yet they crack down on players talking loudly to each other.
I think you just figured it out - tokenism. 

We can't stop concussions, but we can get Steve Smith to stop rowing his boat on the sideline.  :thumbdown:

Catches should NEVER be reviewed in slow motion.

That alone would fix some of this "what is a catch" ########.
All plays should be reviewed at the ref/ump sees them at game speed. Also include helmet to helmet hits.   So many of the helmet to helmet hits look different when you watch them frame by frame.  At game speed the offensive player often ducks at the last second causing the helmet to helmet. Frame by frame it looks like defender should pull back but that is impossible at game speed.

I love it. For the same reason I love that a batter will take a fastball to the ribcage if he can't act with some class and respect for the other players.

All plays should be reviewed at the ref/ump sees them at game speed. Also include helmet to helmet hits.   So many of the helmet to helmet hits look different when you watch them frame by frame.  At game speed the offensive player often ducks at the last second causing the helmet to helmet. Frame by frame it looks like defender should pull back but that is impossible at game speed.
I agree with this. 

I love it. For the same reason I love that a batter will take a fastball to the ribcage if he can't act with some class and respect for the other players.
Yeah, but in your example the pitcher who threw that beanball will likely get ejected if it's obvious it was intentional. 

Yeah, but in your example the pitcher who threw that beanball will likely get ejected if it's obvious it was intentional. 
True. But sometimes they don't care. Baseball does a great job of policing itself. Football doesn't. So the league had to step in. I was waiting for Don Cornelius to show up after a touchdown soon and see the entire offense do the Soul Train line dance.

Said another way:  I don't agree that the NFL's definition of an excessive celebration is necessarily unsportsmanlike conduct.  
This. Ejection after two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties is fine, provided that they correctly define what constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct. Excessive celebration can be a penalty but should not contribute towards possible ejection.

This. Ejection after two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties is fine, provided that they correctly define what constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct. Excessive celebration can be a penalty but should not contribute towards possible ejection.
I feel it should be ejection after two PHYSICAL unsportsmanlike penalties (for safety reasons)...not the taunting, or talking, or the celebrating variety of penalties.

I feel it should be ejection after two PHYSICAL unsportsmanlike penalties (for safety reasons)...not the taunting, or talking, or the celebrating variety of penalties.

Agreed, this is my opinion as well.  I also think they are calling too many excessive celebration penalties, most of those celebrations should be allowed.

I could probably get behind some clear taunting like this counting (even though college):  http://gifrific.com/dj-swearinger-big-hit-on-andre-ellington/  

Distinguishing from that and something like the Digg's spike is tougher though.  Starts to blur the lines.

How about next time you burp, I come to your office and fine you one hundred thousand dollars?

See how stupid that sounds?

How about next time you burp, I come to your office and fine you one hundred thousand dollars?

See how stupid that sounds?
Terrible analogy. As far as I know, players aren't fined for burping in the NFL. It's for taunting or acting like an idiot.

Something like this. 

Or a simple rebuttal for a previous action. While probably their fault. Like the Packers/Vikings game last night when the O-lineman pushed Sedayjo (sp?) for leaping at Rodgers when he already crossed the Endzone. While that is technically his fault, that shouldnt have resulted in an unsportsmanlike misconduct. If that was his 2nd offense, he would of been gone. Not right imo. 
100% his fault. And if it was his second one, it would have been the second time he 100% was at fault.

You can say the rule is dumb/unnecessary/etc but I don't think you can say its not the player's fault if they end up tossed as a result of this.

The game is not brutal enough for you? Its Week 2 and several players are already beat to ####. Some didn't even make it out of the pre-season. Far from two hand touch, IMO.

It's stupid. This is how football is played. It's a motivational tool for the players. Now they have to become mute?

I saw one yesterday in the HOU/KC where Osweiler threw a ball out of bounds just out of Fuller's reach and the CB got flagged for god knows what he said to Fuller. The ref put his hand on the small of his back and explained to him what he did wrong. Am I watching a football game or Daddy and Jr. at the playground? Ridiculous.

And there's taunting literally after every running play.

I'm completely baffled as to why taunting is bad for football. The NBA was better off before the crackdown on taunting (for christ sake, Dikembe Mutombo started getting T'd up for wagging his finger) and I'm gonna assume this isn't going to make the NFL any better either. A game with aches, pains, blood, concussions, painkillers, CTE, steroids, and yet they crack down on players talking loudly to each other.
Consider the players constantly try to one-up each other. If taunted to the point a player really snaps, maybe he deliberately injuries another player as payback? I think this is an effort to prevent the game (which (as you state) is already brutal enough) from becoming too personal and devolving into more violence on the field than is already part of the natural playing of the game.

ETA: for the record, I think spontaneous displays of emotion after legit big plays in the game are good. The excitement is a big part of why I love football. I hope that part never goes away and I don't think it will. But it has clearly gone too far with the scripted/choreographed stuff and the completely unnecessary stuff (some of which has been mentioned previously in this thread). You caught a pass for a first down? Great. Get back to the huddle and do it again. You made a big hit on a RB? Great, but he was 12 yards down field. Get back to the D huddle and stop him short next time. Made a nice tackle on ST? Great, that is your job. Get back to the sideline and do it again next time like you're paid to. No reason to dance/jump around like just won the lottery after these types of plays but it happens all game every game now.

how about some thoughts on Turleys play?

https://youtu.be/YXEjXVmnAv4

Personally I did not like the continued (possible go to the whistle) pushing on the QB.. 

Im quite fine with a severe punishing blow to stop the ball carrier  But,

This grinding to push the player back seemed wrong

Its probably akin to standing a player up so the ball can be crushed

It dont always feel right at game speed

There could be more to the play   maybe the QB's knee hadnt touched etc. 

So the defender lets him keep moving around until hes tackled a yard further back  (dunno)

Obviously the play ends with an ejection..

What would you guys like to see if this happened tonight?

its amazing too me that so many would be in favor of taunting penaltys

kids never watch wrestling   good guy bad guy

its all staged entertainment

It almost frightens me to think football is anything close to that

imo  Any time you have adrenaline kickin in overdrive?

You wanna say oh yeah  play is over!  Whose next  

personally i would think it should help elevate others to perform their best..

(maybe even motivate the competition)

Worse yet some fouls aint even called already   We already question this or that

Whose enjoying seeing a TD rewarded or taken away because of a 50/50 rule

Thanx for posting though!   Learn something new everyday!

I'm fine with it so long as they will only call the penalty for "egregious" acts of taunting / unsporting conduct.

Could be devastating for a team to lose a key player for such a judgement call. Clay Mathews celebrating a sack / O'dell Beckham celebrating a touchdown etc. Be careful not to look at your opponent while celebrating ... could be considered taunting. 

I'm fine with it so long as they will only call the penalty for "egregious" acts of taunting / unsporting conduct.

Could be devastating for a team to lose a key player for such a judgement call. Clay Mathews celebrating a sack / O'dell Beckham celebrating a touchdown etc. Be careful not to look at your opponent while celebrating ... could be considered taunting. 
yeah its kinda too late n put ur sorrys in a sack come monday morning aint it?

Almost every team has a standout player thats potentially involved in game changing plays  Stud WR  shutdown corner  beast RB  superman MLB 

Obviously a QB would be game over, unless the team was built to run the ball..

How about one player inciting the other    always catch the 2nd guy eh

CaN we get a rule that player is reinstated if the opposing player smiles upon his eviction?  too child-ish   sorry

Not specifically calling you out here, but there's been a lot of "well this could lead to this!" type of talk with the taunting penalties. In all of the NFL games I've watched this season where that penalty has been handed out, it's always been a clear case of either taunting or excessive celebrating. It's pretty easy to define and it's exceedingly easy not to do.

Do I agree with it? Somewhat. Do I think it's ruining the game/making it less intersting? Hardly.

I think they should amend the rule so that if you are a lineman over 300 lbs you can dance anytime you want.

Example

How is celebrating every catch (think Diggs here) any different than saying something to a defender? Who cares? I'm still of the opinion that if you dont like it, stop the player from doing it. That being said, if you are going to have rules against hurting someone's feeling, two chances a game is probably enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread