What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has Rodgers Lost It? (1 Viewer)

Back to back roadies to start the year never easy. Jordy still getting back to form. O line issues, horrid play calling. None of this Rodgers fault. He'll be fine. Easy buy low if someone selling.
I agree but don't think it makes him a buy low.   It's not his fault,  but you don't get fantasy points for missed production that was a teammates fault. 

Me and a fb buddy have been predicting Packer plays live with stunning accuracy since the McCarthy regime began. My sense is that Rodgers is losing the ability to transcend that offensive predictability like he used to, yes. I've little doubt, however, he'd be a better Rodgers than you've ever seen in a competent gamescheme.

Put me in the camp of believing it has everything to do with the oline and wrs.  I can't believe they make no effort to find him a wr3 and wr4.

I came away from the game last week convinced that Adams has no real intention of catching the balls thrown his way. He does a good job of getting open but can't catch. I think the plan with him is toss it his way, hope for a PI.

Not Rodgers fault, it's the awful playcalling. Watched them for two weeks wondering what the hell they're doing out there. Don't know why they make it so complicated. One of the best QB's of all-time surrounded by a plethora of weapons and they run these wacky, high degree of difficulty plays. No flow in the playcalling. Just random formations that don't account for pass rush. What they were doing with Lacy on Sunday night remains a mystery. They line him up next to Rodgers in the gun on the weak side, he doesn't pick up the blitz, doesn't really do anything except run towards the D-line and turns around after rodgers is already in distress. On 4th and 2 they just run Starks, was was completely ineffective, up the middle and don't come close to converting. Then they take the backs off the field and line up Cobb in the backfield for a series.  Why?  Pound Lacy early to pinch the lbs up or keep throwing it to get the backers on their heels and then pound lacy. If Lacy has any success then Rodgers can spray it around wherever he wants, to whoever he wants. I'd be shocked if Cobb and Lacy don't get going this week. It's like these coaches have to outsmart themselves every week with the game plan because they want to be perceived as running complex offense. Stop overthinking it!
The Pats had had a simple game plan for Garopollo,and it worked out great the last 2 weeks. I agree, the Packers are trying to make things way to complex,thinking they can look like geniuses by trying all these stupid plays thinking they are out smarting everyone else Go back to the basics,Run Lacey A LOT more,tire out the Def. I also think they need to throw less to Adams! He's way to inconsistent! If Rogers and the Packers don't have a good game at home against the Lions,I don't see things getting any better! Maybe Rogers peaked a couple years ago,and he's just declining rapidly! Players all age differently.Not everyone can age and play like Tom freakin Brady!

Put me in the camp of believing it has everything to do with the oline and wrs.  I can't believe they make no effort to find him a wr3 and wr4.
Seriously? They draft receivers all the time and very few teams are sending out all pro's at the 3 and 4 spot.

I think it is a combination of many things. The offensive line is the biggest problem, I also think Jordy is working his way back and defenses aren't respecting the deep threat just yet. Plus they played in 105 degree heat their 1st game, and against a team with a  top 2 or 3 defense the second week that was also pumped up because they were opening their new stadium.

Rodgers goes for 300 and 3 combined touchdowns this week and if Levy is out Cook get 60 and at least 1 touchdown.

Rodgers had a 3 TD first half Week 1 and then the playcalling went ultra conservative...on the road.

Rodgers should have had a 3 TD game if not for the drop on the long PI vs Minny who looks like a top-3 defense...on the road.

He may not be putting up the yardage because Jordy isn't getting open yet and he has really only been GB's deep threat the past few years. More and more I think they're going to use Cook deep down the seam.

But for now...status quo. Wait and see.

Me and a fb buddy have been predicting Packer plays live with stunning accuracy since the McCarthy regime began. My sense is that Rodgers is losing the ability to transcend that offensive predictability like he used to, yes. I've little doubt, however, he'd be a better Rodgers than you've ever seen in a competent gamescheme.
I think that's it. It's not Rodgers it's McCarthy.

he's holding the ball for too long.  some may point to the WRs not getting separation, but you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that's not at least an average WR corps.

I think that's it. It's not Rodgers it's McCarthy.
Its McCarthys fault he floated that last INT? Missing guys over the middle?  Throwing it wrs feet?  Getting atripped when he scrambles?  Even one of the deep balls to Jordy this week was underthrown.

Look...im one of his biggest fans, but something isnt fully right with him.

You're welcome to predict the Packer plays live this coming Sunday in the forums game thread. Let's see how stunningly accurate you are.

KingPrawn said:
You're welcome to predict the Packer plays live this coming Sunday in the forums game thread. Let's see how stunningly accurate you are.
Well if Randall Cobb is in the backfield there is a 95% chance they hand the ball off to him.  Also they will try that stupid toss play to Lacy, at least 3 times, that almost never works.  They will also throw at least 1 back shoulder throw to Jordy at least 20 yards downfield on a 3rd and short situation.  

In post game presser MM will talk about pad level and that they need to execute better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Rodgers is as talented as he's ever been.  I don't think he's lost "it".  However--I do think that he's being capped by very poor coaching.   McCarthy has a beast in the backfield in eddie lacy that could easily put fear in the hearts of opposing defensive coordinators--and he hardly uses him.  Instead--he puts an average at best RB (Starks) in--and this of course allows defenses to focus on Rodgers.  Even when Rodgers does go to pass the ball--for some reason it seems as though he looks to be force feeding their worst WR---D. Adams.  While I know that Jordy might not be fully back yet--the next most logical move would be to get the ball to your most dynamic WR and let him make a play.  Right now--that WR is Cobb--and so far McCarthy has not come up with a game plan to get him the ball.    

Seriously? They draft receivers all the time and very few teams are sending out all pro's at the 3 and 4 spot.

I think it is a combination of many things. The offensive line is the biggest problem, I also think Jordy is working his way back and defenses aren't respecting the deep threat just yet. Plus they played in 105 degree heat their 1st game, and against a team with a  top 2 or 3 defense the second week that was also pumped up because they were opening their new stadium.

Rodgers goes for 300 and 3 combined touchdowns this week and if Levy is out Cook get 60 and at least 1 touchdown.
I am serious.  Adams and Janis and Montgomery are some of the worst receivers in the league.  Just pick up some random veterans every spring like most teams do.  I remember a guy like jabbar gafney on the patriots making a lot of key catches.  You can't count on adams...the guy is awful.

I am serious.  Adams and Janis and Montgomery are some of the worst receivers in the league.  Just pick up some random veterans every spring like most teams do.  I remember a guy like jabbar gafney on the patriots making a lot of key catches.  You can't count on adams...the guy is awful.
Adams was there highest graded player on offense last week. He was open all game. Running dirty double moves. Don't forget he played through a nasty HAS last year. 

Good grief.  Is there no limit to the amount  of excuses that will be made for Rodgers? I mean the contrast between Rodgers and Bradford couldn't have been more clear.  Bradford stood tall and threw strikes to his WRs.  Rodgers needlessly danced around and threw a ton of off balance inaccurate passes.  

I've been one of his biggest supporters since day 1, but he's gotta get back to standing tall in the pocket and delivering strikes.

I get the Adams hate from last year.  So far this year (other than the early fumble)...he has not been bad at all.

Montgomery simply has not played enough to call him that...same with Janis.

Good grief.  Is there no limit to the amount  of excuses that will be made for Rodgers? I mean the contrast between Rodgers and Bradford couldn't have been more clear.  Bradford stood tall and threw strikes to his WRs.  Rodgers needlessly danced around and threw a ton of off balance inaccurate passes.  

I've been one of his biggest supporters since day 1, but he's gotta get back to standing tall in the pocket and delivering strikes.
Even the TD to Diggs...Randall was not in awful position (probably due to interference)...but that ball was dropped in perfectly.

Agreed.  I love Rodgers and I don't think it's over by any means but something is off with him and has been that way since the middle of last season.  I still believe he and the entire offense will turn things around to at least be ranked in the top half of the league.

This is what I saw. Held the ball too long, inaccurate throws, poor poise in the pocket.

That being said, I am going to reserve judgment on trend for one more game.

You are wrong, go look at NFL rosters 

Adams is at worst middle of the pack against the rest of the 3rd receivers in the NFL. Janis has shown a little something in limited action. Finally what quarterback can get a pass or blame a lack of production on their 3rd and 4th receiver?

I'm holding in 2 QB and Superflex but I'm selling if I can get good value in 1QB Dynasty. 

There are too many things working against Rodgers in terms of fantasy point separation from other QBs with much lower values. He's not the difference maker he once was in fantasy. 

Agreed.  I love Rodgers and I don't think it's over by any means but something is off with him and has been that way since the middle of last season.  I still believe he and the entire offense will turn things around to at least be ranked in the top half of the league.
:lol:

On pace for 37 TD/5 INT.
Yardage?  Completion %?

Until today...he has not looked great (today was much better and he was let down in the latter parts of the game by a couple drops).

Pipes' post was dead on balls accurate.

I am on the side that Rodgers will be fine, but let's relax on the game.  It was at home, one good half, and against a defense missing their 2 best defensive players. What I am saying is he isn't all the way back. 

Yardage?  Completion %?

Until today...he has not looked great (today was much better and he was let down in the latter parts of the game by a couple drops).

Pipes' post was dead on balls accurate.
I'm not even a real fan of his, but Rodgers is an all-time great and even all-time greats have their ups and downs.  Not like he has suddenly lost his ability to play QB. 

I'm not even a real fan of his, but Rodgers is an all-time great and even all-time greats have their ups and downs.  Not like he has suddenly lost his ability to play QB. 
If it was just the first game or 2...sure. and i don't think most were saying he just lost it...but that he had not played all that well last year and to start this year.

Am I reading the numbers wrong or is Rodgers currently on track for 40 combined TDs? I think it's a little early to write him off. 

Playing Seattle is a concern though. In 4 games against the Hawks over the past few years, Rodgers has averaged 212 passing yards and put up 4 passing TD with 3 INTs. Not great rushing the ball either (average of 13 rushing yards with no rushing TD).

So what you're saying is by this time next week the thread will be on Page 5 and there will be a holy war about Rodgers' future. Then in a couple weeks he will light up someone and then all those folks will have egg on their faces. 

-I know what you typed but this is what I read. 
Only on Page 3...

Still not sold, TD's are nice and got up early but then McCarthy went into Lacy mode.

Guess we disagree over what playing well means.
Yeah Rodgers has set the bar high...probably unrealistically high.  The thread title is stupid but the concern over his "drop" in play was based on the 2nd half of last season and first 2 weeks of this season.

Through 1st 6 games last year...124 of 182 with 1,491 yards and 15 Tds with 2 Int

Last 10 games of 2015...          223 of 390 with 2,330 yards and 16 Tds with 6 Int  81.7 passer rating

Now those are still solid numbers but not up to the standards Rodgers has set over the years.  Lots of factors go into this including injured WR's, crappy play calling, etc but there was a drop in his numbers.  He's still a stud and I wouldn't want any other QB but something just was a little off at the end of last year.  It seems like things are clicking again for the offense which is a great sign. Now if the secondary could just hold up.

It's going to take a few of these big fantasy days before he's back to real difference maker that we can trust. 

Less than 200 yards passing is a bit concerning for the WRs and Rodgers. 

Stafford and Simien showed that guys off your waiver wire with the right matchup can still outproduce Rodgers' numbers if the Packers are ahead and don't need to score to catch up. 

McCarthy is more "impose my will" than he is "keep doing what is working" when the Packers have a decent lead. 

Guess we disagree over what playing well means.
I don't think anyone said Rodgers was poor by NFL standards, just that he was not playing up to his own extremely high standards and that was one of the main factors hurting the team. He had 14 straight games with QB rating under 100 (for what its worth). That's probably pretty surprising to someone who's not regularly watched him play the past few years.

A couple interesting quotes from Rodgers today:

“I hit a number of three-steps (throws) today, which we just hadn’t hit in the past. And that’s all about spacing and timing and receivers getting off their press coverage and then throwing an accurate football. … Hitting those on time kind of sets everything else up off of that.”

... according to Lang, after Nelson’s over-the-shoulder, toe-tap catch against the Lions’ best cornerback (Darius Slay) had put the Packers up 31-3, Rodgers head butted Lang and exclaimed, “I’m back.”

Yeah Rodgers has set the bar high...probably unrealistically high.  The thread title is stupid but the concern over his "drop" in play was based on the 2nd half of last season and first 2 weeks of this season.

Through 1st 6 games last year...124 of 182 with 1,491 yards and 15 Tds with 2 Int

Last 10 games of 2015...          223 of 390 with 2,330 yards and 16 Tds with 6 Int  81.7 passer rating

Now those are still solid numbers but not up to the standards Rodgers has set over the years.  Lots of factors go into this including injured WR's, crappy play calling, etc but there was a drop in his numbers.  He's still a stud and I wouldn't want any other QB but something just was a little off at the end of last year.  It seems like things are clicking again for the offense which is a great sign. Now if the secondary could just hold up.
Bingo

I don't think anyone said Rodgers was poor by NFL standards, just that he was not playing up to his own extremely high standards and that was one of the main factors hurting the team. He had 14 straight games with QB rating under 100 (for what its worth). That's probably pretty surprising to someone who's not regularly watched him play the past few years.

A couple interesting quotes from Rodgers today:
Love the quotes  :thumbup:

Rarerly do I carry two quarterbacks, unless my team is utilizing qbbc.

Who are Rodgers owners thinking about to fill in for week for bye?

Semien seems like a guy with a decent floor, a plus matchup in Tampa, and plenty of upside after last week.  And he may be available in a lot of leagues.  But, for some reason, I feel like I'm chasing points.

I think we have a bit of a rich man's Alex Smith thing going on.   We have to hope for the right game script and the right matchup together to produce the big fantasy days.

The Packers pass defense is struggling so that might help with the former going forward. 

They just don't chuck it anymore the NFC as a whole has gotten better.  McCarthy is very conservative.  We need them to fall behind and see what happens but their D has been keeping them in games.

Pretty nice throw on Sunday:  https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4/om8k.mp4?token=1476458048_9e7cae8258e341e7fc0f74c31778f9e166a2ff77

Moving left and fires it spot-on perfect, about 75 yards in the air and the defender's only option was PI or it would have hit the receiver perfectly in stride.
Great throw...also shows the rookie needs more work.

He slowed (which was a subtle thing) that led to the contact in a way.  If he just keeps running he likely catches that ball in stride with nothing the defender could do.  Between that and the drop he had in the 4th quarter on the ball that hit him center mass...  Good to see his speed on that route though.  Something they need.

Users who are viewing this thread