What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sell High or Hold? (1 Viewer)

jeffro04

Footballguy
I am currently 1-1, and feel like I have a solid lineup start to finish. However, I do have Latavius Murray (speculation of splitting work) and Isaiah Crowell (Possibly sell high).

With all the recent RB injuries, I'm wondering if I should try to trade either Murray or Crowell to get a solid RB with more projection of touches, or hold onto them? If I try to trade for someone, who should I target? Here is my full lineup below. Thanks in advance.

QB - E. Manning

WR - Allen Robinson

WR - T.Y. Hilton

RB - Latavius Murray

RB - DeAngelo Williams

TE - Greg Olsen

FLEX - Isaiah Crowell

BENCH

WR - Michael Floyd

WR - Sterling Shepard

RB - Terrance West

RB - Le'Veon Bell (Coming back Week 4)

QB - Mariota

WR - Tyrell Williams

if you can get a better RB with those as trade bait - by all means do it. but i doubt you will.  I'd sit tight. Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

Kind of hard to say what you should do without a trade target in mind.  Sure you should always try to upgrade your team, but we don't know which owners have RB depth in your league, or who is hurting at RB or what.  Without this information, we could say any of the following: 

If the David Johnson owner has no depth at all behind him, try to trade Murray AND Crowell for Johnson. 
If the Mark Ingram owner is panicking on him, trade either Crowell or Murray for Ingram. 
If the CJ Anderson owner also owns Forte and Elliott (or other good RBs) and needs a WR, trade him Murray + Floyd for Anderson. 

Do you have any RBs in mind that you want to target? That would help narrow our focus a little.  Or give us the roster of someone deep at RB in your league. 

My targets would be CJ Anderson, Melvin Gordon (based on uptick in volume), David Johnson, Lamar Miller.

David Johnson's owner has Rashad Jennings as other starter, with Ryan Mathews (Flex), S. Ware, Dwayne Washington (DET). WRs are Cooks, Dez, Josh Gordon, Marvin Jones.

CJ Anderson owner has Zeke Elliot as other starter, Tevin Coleman (Flex), G. Bernard, James White. WRs are B Marshall, K Benjamin, Moncrief, S. Watkins.

Gordon's owner has L. McCoy as other starter, Alfred Morris, Jonathan Stewart, Bilal Powell, Chris Thompson. WRs are AJ Green, Emmanuel Sanders, N Agholor (Flex), Allen Hurns.

L. Miller owner has D. Freeman, Charles Sims, Abdullah (Out). WRs are R. Cobb, J. Maclin, Rishard Matthews, Mohammed Sanu.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the advice!

1. Looks like the Gordon owner could use another WR, as he has a huge gap between Green and his next best WR.  I'd try to offer him Crowell + Williams (start low, pointing out his hole at WR) and if he says no then I'd replace Williams with whichever WR you like less out of Floyd and Shepard. He doesn't have much else behind McCoy at RB though, so if he wants Murray instead of Crowell I wouldn't let that stop you from doing a trade.  I think Murray + Hilton would be too much though.  Any other 2 man combination of Crowell/Murray + Williams/Shep/Floyd is ok IMO. 

2. The Anderson owner is pretty solid on WRs, so Floyd/Shepard probably aren't going to interest him at the cost of Anderson.  Hilton might, depending on his view.  Murray + Hilton may be your best line here, but even then it might not be enough.  

3. The Johnson owner has decent depth at RB, and has 2 good WRs, then nothing much behind them.  But Johnson is arguably the best RB right now, so it may take Murray + Hilton and some good selling on your part to sell him on his need for a 3rd receiver.  But like I said above, if Murray + Hilton isn't enough to get Anderson, it isn't likely to be enough to get Johnson. 

4. The Miller owner is too thin at RB.  Your only real shot here would be to offer Murray AND Crowell, which leaves you no depth but two studs (Miller & Bell/DWill).  

I would approach a trade in the above order.  Option 1 could net you a better RB for the cheapest price.  You may actually be able to pull off #4 but it would leave you virtually no depth at all, which is going to bite you at least twice (bye weeks) and could hurt a lot more if Miller were to miss time.  
Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed analysis wlwiles!

The only other possible hiccup in the first 3 options are that the Gordon, Anderson, and Johnson owners are all 2-0. I would have to assume they won't be willing to give any of them away considering they aren't too desperate at this point.

The owner of Lamar Miller however is 0-2. Do you think I can try to ask for less since they're more desperate for wins?

jmsalsa said:
if you can get a better RB with those as trade bait - by all means do it. but i doubt you will.  I'd sit tight. Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.
This. great analysis by wlwiles, it would be very difficult to pull off a trade in this spot with murray or crowell without giving up something else.

I would sit on Crowell and Murray. I have Deangelo too and am thinking I will hold him and see what Bell is going to do - but he might be a better sell high at this point for someone who needs a lot of points this week and is that someone is confident he can maintain some better than avg points once Bell comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread